How in the hell?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jebus213 (8920 posts) -
How in the hell did Max Payne 3 beat Guild Wars 2?: http://www.gamespot.com/best-of-2012/peoples-choice/index.html?page=2
#2 Posted by jg4xchamp (49903 posts) -
A console shooter made by rockstar vs a MMO You tell me which one is going to be more popular.
#3 Posted by Jebus213 (8920 posts) -
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]A console shooter made by rockstar vs a MMO You tell me which one is going to be more popular.

It got beat by linear and heavily scripted game...
#4 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

The Peoples choice awards are a joke, why do you even care ?

#5 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10809 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]A console shooter made by rockstar vs a MMO You tell me which one is going to be more popular.

Peoples choice is a popularity contest, as jg said, certain games are more popular than others to the masses.
#6 Posted by jg4xchamp (49903 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]A console shooter made by rockstar vs a MMO You tell me which one is going to be more popular. Jebus213

You're telling me a heavily scripted and linear action game is more popular than a Mmorpg? Who knew?

Edit: Because I know I'm going to need to do this. World of Warcraft is an exception. We are at a point where the MMO genre isn't looked nearly as favorably because of how many games "failed" against WoW, and in general the stigma that came with WoW's popularity is sort of an internet running joke. In general though an action game is going to be more popular. A simpler more accessible game is going to be more popular. And at this point in time there aren't many studios that are as popular as Rockstar. They would probably end up in a top 5 most popular dev list.

#7 Posted by Vaasman (11752 posts) -

3 platform AAA vs exclusive AAA.

It was inevitable. Doesn't really matter which was actually a better game, because people's choice is a popularity contest.

#8 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -
Don't worry bruh. It's gonna get the ass kicking it deserves by ME3.
#9 Posted by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]A console shooter made by rockstar vs a MMO You tell me which one is going to be more popular.

Sales wise? I think GW2 was doing better than MP3 in that department,doing over 2M copies in less than a month.
#10 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Don't worry bruh. It's gonna get the ass kicking it deserves by ME3.percech

People are actually voting for that trainwreck ?

Good God...

f5753870a40ccef114a6cb88e7f48531.jpg

#11 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -

[QUOTE="percech"]Don't worry bruh. It's gonna get the ass kicking it deserves by ME3.Sagem28

Good God...

f5753870a40ccef114a6cb88e7f48531.jpg

BS. ME3 da bes
#12 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10809 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="percech"]Don't worry bruh. It's gonna get the ass kicking it deserves by ME3.percech

Good God...

BS. ME3 da bes

My favorite game of the year by a significant margin.

#13 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

BS. ME3 da bespercech

Oooooh, I get it.

[spoiler] boxxy-trollin-gif-i5.gif [/spoiler]

#14 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -
MP3 deserves it IMO.
#15 Posted by ristactionjakso (6115 posts) -

Ehh, doesn't matter really. I mean, even if it did beat Max Payne 3, it would have to contend with Far Cry 3 sooner or later.

FC3 for the win.

#16 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]A console shooter made by rockstar vs a MMO You tell me which one is going to be more popular.

and? nothing wrong with linear games. Heavily scripted though....ye..........
#17 Posted by jg4xchamp (49903 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]A console shooter made by rockstar vs a MMO You tell me which one is going to be more popular.

Sales wise? I think GW2 was doing better than MP3 in that department,doing over 2M copies in less than a month.

I'm sure Guild Wars 2 did wonderful. But I'm also sure Max Payne 3 did pretty well considering Rockstars track record, and in general there is no surprise here that a console shooter made by rockstar has more popularity on a gaming website than Guild Wars 2. Especially when one is exclusive, and the other had multiple platforms.
#18 Posted by Teuf_ (30805 posts) -

Are you always this surprised when people on the Internet don't agree with your opinion? Or is it just this one time?

#19 Posted by -Unreal- (24551 posts) -
How in the hell did Max Payne 3 beat Guild Wars 2?: http://www.gamespot.com/best-of-2012/peoples-choice/index.html?page=2Jebus213
Because Door Wars 2 has no end game and died.
#20 Posted by JangoWuzHere (17305 posts) -

Max Payne 3 is probably my game of the year, so I would hope it would win against Guild Wars 2...

#21 Posted by freedomfreak (42926 posts) -
Fvck Yeah Max Payne!!
#22 Posted by gamebreakerz__ (5120 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"]How in the hell did Max Payne 3 beat Guild Wars 2?: http://www.gamespot.com/best-of-2012/peoples-choice/index.html?page=2-Unreal-

If you're not paying a subscription fee then you shouldn't expect a massive endgame. I still got over 100 hours out of the game and know others who got double that or more. A lot of games that cost the same only have 5 hours content so it's really not that bad value.
#23 Posted by -Unreal- (24551 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"][QUOTE="Jebus213"]How in the hell did Max Payne 3 beat Guild Wars 2?: http://www.gamespot.com/best-of-2012/peoples-choice/index.html?page=2gamebreakerz__

If you're not paying a subscription fee then you shouldn't expect a massive endgame. I still got over 100 hours out of the game and know others who got double that or more. A lot of games that cost the same only have 5 hours content so it's really not that bad value.

Well aware of that, however the game is in a genre which you expect there to be content to play beyond maximum level. it's a basic staple of the genre. Not only that, but the game is simply a free to play MMO which you have to pay for (and has a more expensive RRP than most games) and has microtransactions. Getting a lot of gameplay out of an MMO whether it's free to play or not is a basic fundamental expectation of any game in the genre.
#24 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

Deal with it.

#25 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
How in the hell did Max Payne 3 beat Guild Wars 2?: http://www.gamespot.com/best-of-2012/peoples-choice/index.html?page=2Jebus213
Does it really matter? Did GW2 suddenly become less fun for you because of it? Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to care about awards enough to get upset that my GOTY didn't win. It will still be my GOTY after all the awards are handed out.
#26 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

Because MP3 is better.

#27 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

[QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"][QUOTE="-Unreal-"] Because Door Wars 2 has no end game and died.-Unreal-

Well aware of that, however the game is in a genre which you expect there to be content to play beyond maximum level. it's a basic staple of the genre. Not only that, but the game is simply a free to play MMO which you have to pay for (and has a more expensive RRP than most games) and has microtransactions. Getting a lot of gameplay out of an MMO whether it's free to play or not is a basic fundamental expectation of any game in the genre.

Hey Unreal, I seem to be having a problem finding Pandaria in the games to choose from, you mind pointing it out to me?

#28 Posted by fueled-system (6329 posts) -
it's a joke, like 3 years ago when freeman(half life 2) won greatest hero which embarrassed gamespot to the point where they eventually stopped it all together This is what happens with popularity contest
#29 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

A multiplat vs a PC exclusive MMO. Pretty obvious answer really

#30 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Are you always this surprised when people on the Internet don't agree with your opinion? Or is it just this one time?

Teufelhuhn

Nah, he does it ALL the time :P

#31 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -

Because MP3 is better.

Ricardomz
lul. no.
#32 Posted by JangoWuzHere (17305 posts) -

it's a joke, like 3 years ago when freeman(half life 2) won greatest hero which embarrassed gamespot to the point where they eventually stopped it all together This is what happens with popularity contestfueled-system

Huh? How are they embaressed by it? People voted for Freeman, its not like gamespot made the choice.

#33 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

They lost to a Rockstar game dude, no shame in that or reason to get angry. I've heard nothing but good things about GW2, losing to MP3 wont make it any less of a good game.

#34 Posted by nutcrackr (12829 posts) -
I don't like MP3, but I like GW2 even less.
#35 Posted by -Unreal- (24551 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Unreal-"][QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"] If you're not paying a subscription fee then you shouldn't expect a massive endgame. I still got over 100 hours out of the game and know others who got double that or more. A lot of games that cost the same only have 5 hours content so it's really not that bad value.slimjimbadboy

Hey Unreal, I seem to be having a problem finding Pandaria in the games to choose from, you mind pointing it out to me?

It's not there because it's consolespot. Seems you're implying Door Wars 2 is a better game than WoW MoP is. That's laughable and I'd be up for debating why MoP whipes the floor with Door Wars 2.
#36 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
You actually thought these awards were given to the most deserving games? :lol: It's a popularity contest.
#37 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43214 posts) -
MMOs generally suck?
#38 Posted by Fizzman (9884 posts) -

Max Payne 3 is an excellent game and deserves it.

#39 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Max Payne 3 is IMO by far the best TPS this gen, so it's well deserved...

Also, was never a fan of MMOs...

#40 Posted by Primordialous (1313 posts) -

Teufelhuhn

#41 Posted by megadeth1117 (1830 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]A console shooter made by rockstar vs a MMO You tell me which one is going to be more popular. jg4xchamp

I'm sure Guild Wars 2 did wonderful. But I'm also sure Max Payne 3 did pretty well considering Rockstars track record, and in general there is no surprise here that a console shooter made by rockstar has more popularity on a gaming website than Guild Wars 2. Especially when one is exclusive, and the other had multiple platforms.

Unfortunatley, I do remember Take-Two releasing a statement that claimed the sales for Max Payne 3 were below expectations, though I believe the development was an extremely expensive one.