How important is controller comfort to you?

• 87 results
PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

Wondering how much percent does the consoles controller factor into your choice for the console. A buddy asked me which console to get, even though I have an xbox I told him straight out that generally ps4 is a bit more powerful so games might look better on it. Even though many games I feel look better on xbox due to the crushed blacks. So he went to best buy and tried out ps4 and xbox one, he bought the xbox one. I asked what made you choose xbox, he said "the controller was just so much more comfortable".

Thats it, his whole choice boiled down to the controller. He said all he ever really plays is GTA and Fifa and Battlefield so all he cares about is being comfortable holding the controller, he said the graphics looked awesome on both by the way.

How much does the controller factor into your choice for console? For him it was 100% the most important thing. For myself I would say 25% controller, 50% exclusives, 25% features. (the fact that xbox one has flash and I can stream any movie or sporting event from the internet is a HUGE plus over PS4 than no one mentions)

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Not at all, though I agree the X1 controller feels nicer than the DS4 ... which is completely overated..... but then again, anything seems impressive compared to DS3 .... the bar is low... as always.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Very important....that's why I use the best controller ever made ( the X1 controller ) for my PC. I wish I could use it for the PS4.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

not that much at all

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Its pretty important to me. The dualshocks are terrible across the board for extended periods.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Its pretty important. Thats the main reason why I hated the PS3 and most games on it felt like complete fucking garbage. I prefer the xbone controller to the DS4 too even though the bumpers could be better.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

It doesn't matter to me at all. I'm fine with the controllers for PS4 and X1. I use a wireless 360 controller for PC too.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I prefer Mouse and Keyboard and I don't notice any problem when using controllers as well.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

360 controller >>>>> Xbone controller.

If your friend had "PS4hasNOgames" as an Xbone owner as a tour and buyers guide, there's your answer on your friends choice. Plus, if he came from the Xbox ecosystem, he may just want to stick with it despite the Xbone issues.

For the record, I LOVE the 360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PS4, and Xbone controllers. There are little quirks here or there, but they are all fabulous.

---

All of today's modern controllers are magnificent. I come from using these horrible controllers so I'm just appreciative of the controllers we have today.

@lostrib said:

not that much at all

@blueinheaven said:

It doesn't matter to me at all. I'm fine with the controllers for PS4 and X1. I use a wireless 360 controller for PC too.

@LJS9502_basic said:

Not at all. Never had a problem with any controller actually.

Same.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

I prefer Mouse and Keyboard.

Then this thread isn't for you. But thanks for the pointless information anyway.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

very, that's why DS4 is the best controller ever created.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46198 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Then this thread isn't for you. But thanks for the pointless information anyway.

Mouse and Keyboard are game controllers too...

"A game controller is a device used with games or entertainment systems to provide input to a video game"

Sounds a lot like a keyboard and mouse when you are using those to provide input in a game

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#13 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Read full comment.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

It's a huge factor, and it's why I always avoid using the dualshock unless it's for 2D games.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

Pretty important, but everything is chill this gen, so that's good.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic

@R4gn4r0k said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Mouse and Keyboard are game controllers too...

"A game controller is a device used with games or entertainment systems to provide input to a video game"

Sounds a lot like a keyboard and mouse when you are using those to provide input in a game

And yet the OP states consoles. Sounds a lot like he wasn't asking about k/m combos.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

I've always preferred the xbox controller, and still do. I don't think that it's the reason why I chose the xbox one. In my regard, the xbox one is just the better console, made by the better company

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Squeak squeak

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Very. Sony always has the worst controllers and that's one reason I don't like their consoles much. The dualshock 3 compared to the 360 pad is horrible, they made it even worse than the first 2 dualshocks.

Ergonomically the DS4 looks improved (haven't used it extensively) but shitty build quality, battery life and gimmicks bring it down automatically. The X1 controller is great, although it could be even better if the sticks were tighter like on the 360 pad (though I love the surface of the sticks) and i'm not sure how I feel about the shoulder buttons / triggers yet.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Chozofication said:

Very. Sony always has the worst controllers and that's one reason I don't like their consoles much. The dualshock 3 compared to the 360 pad is horrible, they made it even worse than the first 2 dualshocks.

Ergonomically the DS4 looks improved (haven't used it extensively) but shitty build quality, battery life and gimmicks bring it down automatically. The X1 controller is great, although it could be even better if the sticks were tighter like on the 360 pad (though I love the surface of the sticks) and i'm not sure how I feel about the shoulder buttons / triggers yet.

Man you shouldn't bring up battery life as a problem this gen if you like the X1. I mean seriously dude....

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

I don't understand why so many people like the XBone controllers. I think the bumpers are atrocious. I actually stopped playing Lords of the Fallen because of them. Keeping the bumper pressed to hold your shield felt so uncomfortable that it could be used to torture people.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Chozofication said:

Man you shouldn't bring up battery life as a problem this gen if you like the X1. I mean seriously dude....

why not?

NewWellofGabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NewWellofGabe
Member since 2015 • 113 Posts

I prefer keyboard and mouse, but the PS4 controller is alright. The touchpad is too sensitive though.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

not much at all.. i always get used to them

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I've never really had a controller that I couldn't get used to except the PS3 controller.

Any game with any type of shooting was awful on that controller.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

I got tendonitis from a dual-shock style controller a few years ago, and the dualshock 3 started to bring it back this year until I laid off it for a while. So my vote goes for the Xbone: the 360's d-pad is simply too horrendous to like that controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Chozofication said:

I use rechargeable battery's and you can get 30-40 hours out of those. Ds4 is sitting at what, 7-8 hours?

And then the Wii U pro gets literally 70-80 hours out of its built in battery so it makes the DS4's battery look 10x worse lol

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PS4hasNOgames

@Chozofication said:

I feel the same way, the ds4 is better than ds3 but thats not saying much. the thing constantly runs out of battery to the point where I surprisingly prefer the AA batteries on x1 over usb charge on ps4. and the sticks are notorious for peeling off.

I heard a rumor that sony makes their controllers for people with small hands because the japanese are generally smaller people than americans, don't know if its true or not but it won't surprise me to learn that Sonys R&D department is all Japanese so they might prefer a slightly smaller feel.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PS4hasNOgames

@Chozofication said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Chozofication said:

I use rechargeable battery's and you can get 30-40 hours out of those. Ds4 is sitting at what, 7-8 hours?

And then the Wii U pro gets literally 70-80 hours out of its built in battery so it makes the DS4's battery look 10x worse lol

I generally get about 3 weeks of gaming out of the AA batteries on the x1, when we get together at my buddies house who has a ps4 someone has to sit by the tv with the DS4 wired up to the console to keep the thing from dying. its horrible.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Not at all. I find that contorting my hands for long periods of time is rather relaxing.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#31 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Its a factor. Favorite series is first, features, friends online, and controller

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

Not at all, though I agree the X1 controller feels nicer than the DS4 ... which is completely overated..... but then again, anything seems impressive compared to DS3 .... the bar is low... as always.

Funny you say that, because I remember a lot of PS3 fans talking about how good it was, then the same people this gen saying it was trash and the DS4 is a lot better.

Anyway to the topic, I do think its important, and for some people important enough to be a deciding factor. whether fanboys want to admit it or not. 95+ % of all the best games will be on both consoles So people will make decisions based on price, multiplats (which run better), online service, and probably whats familiar.

I've used lots of controllers, the worst gen by far was the gamecube, PS2, and xbox gen. all 3 controllers were piss poor. The gamecube was just awkward with the giant A button the hard plastic nub joystick with a hexagon outline and weird z button, the PS2 controller was a small kid hand sized controller with the weird placed symmetrical thumb sticks with a convex design, and the xbox controller was way too big and a weird black/white button placement. Luckily they listened to people and came out with the controller-S which was awesome. then since then MS has always had the best controller. the 360 was near perfect while the DS3 was the same as the PS2 controller pretty much.

Now this gen, the X1 controller is still best. the DS4 is much improved over the DS3. First off its actually adult sized and not kid sized like the DS3, but really that's where it ends. The stick design is better but the material has given issues to many early adapters. The placement is still pretty bad too. They finally have triggers but they are small and flared up which doesn't make much sense. the bumpers are decent though. The X1 controller really improved on the 360 design. its still very ergonomic (which the DS4 is not) with your thumbs resting position on the LS and halfway between the "A" Button and right thumbstick. compared to the DS4 where your resting position is in the middle of the 4 face buttons and the Dpad. No games use the d-pad for movement really, I can see a preference for the DS4 on fighting games for sure using the dpad and face buttons mostly and not the thumbsticks, but outside of that its pretty poor for most genres.

The d-pad on the DS4 though is still better then the X1, sure the X1 is better then the 360 which was terrible, but its still pretty poor compared to the DS4 dpad. The X1 thumbsticks are great, great material on them on and placement. the triggers are perfect with an added rumble feature too (which is great for shooters and racers) the bumpers are also amazing. the ability to press a trigger or bumper without having to move your finger back and forth is amazing. especially with games using bumper jumper and games with grenades on bumpers. Your always ready to shoot never having to move your finger off the trigger or the right thumbstick.

So overall, having both systems, i do prefer using my x1 for a few reasons, and yes the controller is one of them. I own both every gen so i can't say it effects my purchase, but personally if i could only afford one, controller wouldn't be very high on my list. games, friends, online service, features/OS rank way higher followed by controllers and lastly multiplat advantage.

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

<b>I own n tried all sort of controllers so I know slaystation controllers r the best over the rest. I own n tried all type of controllers n sony just know how to design sexy ass comfortable controllers they are the best no other comes close imho facts</b>

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I find the dualshock to be uncomfortable although I haven't had much experience with the PS4 controller. So yeah it's very important.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

It is the most important factor in determining which console I buy multiplat games on. And that is why for the past three generations, I have bought all multiplat games on Xbox unless it is a 2D game.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

@SolidTy said:

Squeak squeak

The controller that gave birth to gaming cramps. At least I had some painful times with that thing anyway.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It is the most important factor in determining which console I buy multiplat games on. And that is why for the past three generations, I have bought all multiplat games on Playstation.

Parody post

Controllers are a non-issue with me. Performance is the most important factor in determining multiplatform games for me (whilst avoiding DRM that prevents selling/trading/borrowing/lending/renting/value collecting/etc).

@poptart said:

@br0kenrabbit said:

@SolidTy said:

Squeak squeak

The controller that gave birth to gaming cramps. At least I had some painful times with that thing anyway.

Oh yes, me as well.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

its very important thats why im so frusterated with my xb1

the controller is smaller more narrow then the superior 360 controller

and the 360 controller was made out of stronger material and had better thumb sticks and bumpers

so this is why i hate my one its part of the reason

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

pretty important. Its one of the reasons why i prefer sony controllers to microsofts.... ms controllers make my hand cramp

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Not very. Personally prefer the DS controllers to the Xbox ones, but it's not why I tend to buy Playstation over Xbox.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

It's very important for me, but I admit that I never really used a controller that I felt was awful, and ultimately I would not factor that into my console purchase decision. I just see it as a big bonus that my current favorite console, the Xbox One, also has what I think to be the best controller ever made. The only thing I don't like about it is renaming the back/selct & start buttons....to eh, "menu" and "change view" ....why????

Anyways, I don't remember ever wanting to complain about the Playstation 1 and 2 controllers back in the day, so ultimately regardless which console I own I would be fine with the controller. Just don't get me started on the Xbox One controller, I just love that thing....it's so comfortable and I dig the trigger rumble, they need to use that more. I agree the D-Pad is not what many of us hoped for, but it really is just a 4 direction pad, that's the best way to look at it....as such, it works fine in games. And to be honest, I'm fine with the analog stick in 2D games now.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

Never had problems with controllers, idc if it's ps/xb/nintendo or even a keyboard and mouse i just play the games i love.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Chozofication said:

Explain? At least the X1 can go for longer between charges. My DS4 lasts about 6-8 hours if I'm lucky.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Massively important to me... it's one of the main reasons I chose Xbone over PS4. So much so that the graphical differences between the two didn't come into it.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

It's the last I think about. I have used many controllers over the years none have given me any trouble.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

DS4 is more ergonomic, the texture on the back is great, especially for sweaty hands. Face buttons are ok, d-pad is great and robust, analogs are ok, triggers could have been a lot better, bumpers are good, the touchpad should have been removed for a bigger battery or something.

M$ really fucked up when it comes to the bumpers, just awful, they are frustrating for any action that needs constant pressing, requiring so much force when the triggers are so smooth is stupid.

Controller is all plastic so not a nice grip, I also dislike the clicky feel of the face buttons and d-pad

The triggers are almost close to perfection, they just protrude a little bit more than necessary and the travel distance could be a little bit shorter. Analogs are ok.

And even tho I've used PS controllers all my life, I don't mind the asymmetrical position of the sticks on the bone controller, but I really think the d-pad belongs where it is on the DS4.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#48 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

I've spent more on my mouse and keyboard than a PS4, so peripheral comfort is of a major importance to my enjoyment.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PS4hasNOgames

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Massively important to me... it's one of the main reasons I chose Xbone over PS4. So much so that the graphical differences between the two didn't come into it.

thats very interesting. the more i think about the more i agree with this sort of view.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

lol only non gamers use controllers. KB+M FTW.