How Has System Wars Improved/Hurt You as a Gamer If at All?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

System Wars is an interesting forum to say the least and as much as we may argue, or troll, or hurl insults from time to time, I believe we all take something good away each day that keeps us coming back for more. So my question, how has System Wars in general improved you (or hurt you) as a gamer as a whole? Sorry if the topic has been said before, but I was curious.

This could include several things: has your opinion of systems, games, developers, publishers, etc. been impacted in the slightest on your time here? Have you gained new perspectives you would have never seen or cared for before? Have your tastes in gaming expanded?

On the other hand, has it tarnished your views of the gaming community or of the fan base of the system you have a personal preference for? Have you begun to lose interest in gaming the more you post? What do you feel may have hurt you as a gamer if anything at all?

Personally, I feel System Wars has been having a positive impact on me as a gamer. I feel I've looked at games and all these systems more closely than I would have before. Sure in some cases it makes me focus on redundant or mostly irrelevant things that in the past I wouldn't really have cared for. Another thing it has done was expanding my tastes in gaming. I have dabbled in more genres than I normally would feel comfortable playing in. Though this has burned me out a bit as I want to try as many new games as possible and have basically created a backlog of games whose interest for me is draining. Sorry if this seems like a strange topic, but I thought it would make an interesting one, hopefully.

EDIT: Or has it had little to no impact at all on you as a gamer? Just time to kill and have some laughs? :P

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Hasn't improved me or hurt me at all

It's just one big pissing match

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I don't take it too seriously. It's a fun little thing to do on the side, but I don't rest any significance on it.

For all other questions about System Wars, refer to my sig.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Probably should have included a neutral viewpoint in the OP. My bad. :P

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

It hasn't changed me. It's fun for shits and giggles... Or it used to be.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

If you go into System Wars knowing its a toxic community, you'll expect less out of it.

Right now, the niceness level of the people on here is like a 2/10 which is a shame because back in '07, i'd say it was a solid 5 or 6.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

It hasn't changed me one bit, I just come here for the lulz.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

The only thing it's changed is I know about more games than before.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

It hasn't changed me. It's fun for shits and giggles... Or it used to be.

now it's just shits

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

SWs is for the lulz and it shouldn't be taken seriously.

One positive over the years is trying out games I never heard of. This board got me into PC gaming and it was always the first place I go to for gaming news.

All fanboys are stupid and each one of them have that one embarrassing moment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

@Seabas989 said:

SWs is for the lulz and it shouldn't be taken seriously.

One positive over the years is trying out games I never heard of. This board got me into PC gaming and it was always the first place I go to for gaming news.

All fanboys are stupid and each one of them have that one embarrassing moment.

I agree with that, I don't take it too seriously though sometimes I question whether or not some people really mean some of the bizarre things they say at times. :P It really has expanded the horizon of gaming for me in general though, I wouldn't have thought to try games like Persona or Shadow of the Colossus, etc. had I not heard the high praise for them here from time to time.

Also: updated the title to add in the no impact perspective.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

If this place changes the way you think or feel, then you done fucked up.

If anything, it's just validated how smart I am.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I'd say it has hurt me as I often find myself openly accusing Nippon Ichi Software for fucking over PC gaming three years (and still counting) down the line.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

If anything it's made me hate gamers in general.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I wouldn't say it's affected me negatively or positively at all.

It gives me a place to vent about shitty games, gush over great ones, voice my opinions, and get a general feel for the gamer populaces' opinions. It also keeps me up to date on the shadiness or honesty of certain companies' business dealings.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

System Wars has taught me never to trust opinions of others and always go on my instincts and own research.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

Now that I have a steady job I spend more time playing the games I'm interested in rather than talking about them. Unfortunately anytime I do wanna have a conversation here in SWs about current games, discussion always revolve around which version looks better. This place does no one any good.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

System Wars hasn't taught me anything.

I already knew there were shitty ppl in the world.

I just didn't know so many were clumped into one place...and mostly PC gamers.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

Ever since I first visted System Wars in late 2007, it has not affected me personally as a gamer. I personally take amusement over the antics of the fanboys on this forum for years.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

It has made me more happy to be me.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#22 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

It has made me a less judge mental person when it came to what games I was willing to try. Opened my mind, but beyond that I come here to watch the arguing. It makes my day.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

I have learned a bit about tech stuff. But I still love games, will play them on any platform and like what I like. Gotta say before coming here I knew there were graphics whores, but this place educated me on how stupid they are.

Wobblypops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Wobblypops
Member since 2015 • 56 Posts

I'm emotionally scared and will never fucking recover!

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Learnt quite a few things here from the smarter folk.

Hurt me? I don't know. Laughing so hard it hurts, probably.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

Unfortunately SW hasnt done anything for me except let me see how ignorant people can act over a persons gaming platform preference. Up till I found this place "many years back actually"..I never knew such rivals existed. AND ive been gaming since early 80s..I just thought we were all one big gaming family and games were games..I have wasted so much time in here standing up for my beliefs...I honestly hate I ever found this place. Its a cancer..BUT at the same time a highly addictive drug..

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#27 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I just use this place to waste time while I am at work. Sadly it moves slow. Too slow. But I do get to learn stuff sometimes.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

None. Being here means I'm not gaming at the moment.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Its helped me become a better husband, father and person all around and by golly people like me.

Outside of that:

It also keeps me up to date on games from speculation, reveal, development, beta to gold. It also has let me on to games I would of likely never heard about or play.

I've also met some cool people in here and actually flown across the country to meet them and go to Comic Con in NYC.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I try not to get too caught up in it because 99% of it is all bullsh** which doesn't improve our industry.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

It made me a graphics whore. Thank you SW.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32  Edited By tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@PikminWorld said:

System Wars is an interesting forum to say the least and as much as we may argue, or troll, or hurl insults from time to time, I believe we all take something good away each day that keeps us coming back for more. So my question, how has System Wars in general improved you (or hurt you) as a gamer as a whole? Sorry if the topic has been said before, but I was curious.

This could include several things: has your opinion of systems, games, developers, publishers, etc. been impacted in the slightest on your time here? Have you gained new perspectives you would have never seen or cared for before? Have your tastes in gaming expanded?

On the other hand, has it tarnished your views of the gaming community or of the fan base of the system you have a personal preference for? Have you begun to lose interest in gaming the more you post? What do you feel may have hurt you as a gamer if anything at all?

Personally, I feel System Wars has been having a positive impact on me as a gamer. I feel I've looked at games and all these systems more closely than I would have before. Sure in some cases it makes me focus on redundant or mostly irrelevant things that in the past I wouldn't really have cared for. Another thing it has done was expanding my tastes in gaming. I have dabbled in more genres than I normally would feel comfortable playing in. Though this has burned me out a bit as I want to try as many new games as possible and have basically created a backlog of games whose interest for me is draining. Sorry if this seems like a strange topic, but I thought it would make an interesting one, hopefully.

EDIT: Or has it had little to no impact at all on you as a gamer? Just time to kill and have some laughs? :P

i created my gamespot account so that i can comment on on everyone's epic meltdowns/butthurt posts. isn't that the only reason why system wars exists. to post whenever you're butthurt over another console's/PC exclusive?

btw can someone explain where has john matherson gone? i used to enjoy his meltdowns a lot 'cause they actually made sense (a tiny bit at least). now we are stuck with tormentos and protossx whose posts make no meaningful sense at all.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

@silversix_ said:

It made me a graphics whore. Thank you SW.

^

The only thing it taught me is to how to troll.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It hasn't. I just like to talk smack and rustle jimmies. I guess that's helped me play games less.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

SW = Brutal Truth

'nuff said.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#36  Edited By gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

System Wars has been a huge influence on my life. I used to argue on GS comments sections way back in the day, but I started up in SW in '07/'08. It's kinda been the equivalent of church for die-hard gamers and a place where everything matters and doesn't at the same time. Being a part of the gufu vs hype era and having the insane lulz that would come from the constant trolling and spinning was something I'll never forget. SW has always been a great place to catch the latest news and learn more about the people and technology that goes into games. I used to do tons of graphics comparisons and the further I dug into the architectural differences in hardware and more I learned about art of technology the more I needed that fix. Made me love developers and appreciate the hard work they pour into their craft.

I'm proud to call many of the posters on this forums my friends and I hope to be a part of this community as long as it lasts. It's only as good as we make it. I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way, but even if I am I still love this place and the shitheads that roam the open sw plains.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
  • I have learned how to fail at trolling
  • I have learned how to play sales wars
  • I have learned that resolution is the only thing that matters
  • I have learned that if I keep saying something will win NPD and keep failing, one day I will triumph.
  • I have learned that the PC trumps everything, and that I need a constant reminder from a fanboy to tell me every day. (Even when no one was talking about PC)

SW has made me a better gamer.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

SW has not affected me at all. I find SW great for news and what games are on the horizon, it can also be a funny place.

It can also be annoying as hell:

Certian SW'ers who spread misinformation or flat out lie,

PC gamers who have to remind everyone how great PC gaming is every f'ing day and if you call them out you're a peasant, you lack intelligence or the other miriad of personal insults they like to throw around. Not all are bad but the ones that are they are very vocal.

Fakeboys/alt accounts,

Fanboys,

Topics about graphics, I maintain my stance that graphics have never made a game good so it would be refreshing to talk about the quality of game content than what it looks like,

The meta game, either get some official rules or don't bother.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Well it's been a fairy reliable source of game related news for me so in that sense I am grateful. But considering most news nowadays is just marketing bullcrap and e-drama nonsense it has basically turned me in to a cynic.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

Online people will never change me as a gamer, I may despise the lems a tad more each day but they were a lost cause to me anyway.

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

i just come here to laugh. It doesn't touch me at all.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@lostrib said:

now it's just shits

Truer words have never been spoken.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#43 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

System Wars has shown me how ignorant I am and that everyone else is just as ignorant.

The board was what really got me deeper into gaming back in 2005. I was always a gamer but I wasn't deeply involved with playing so many games until I became a member here and chatted more.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

It was fun to indulge once in a while. But, it got old quickly because it's always the same old crap over and over and over.

Dragerdeifrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By Dragerdeifrit
Member since 2010 • 769 Posts

SW introduced me into indie gaming, thanks to all the bragging from the PC pricks, SW also got me into tentacle p0rn for some reason... no matter.. anyway... i wouldn't say "hurt", but it saddens me to watch all the people arguing about graphics / resolution... back in the day when ps3 launched also when i started stalking the forums just for pure comedic entretainment (i didn't make an account until 2010-something) fanboys argued about exclusives like Uncharted or Gears of war, it at least made sense , nowdays it's just 900p vs 1080p or 30 Fps vs 60 fps. most people can't even tell the diference. dammit, i can barely tell 30 fps and 60 apart.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I guess I can group SW with the rest of the internet that are largely responsible for my hatred of Sony. Sony does a damn fine job making me hate them on their own but the fan base is just downright ass backwards (in most cases)

It effects me because I never hated Sony this much until I see how blind the fanbase defends with such bullshit. I have trouble supporting or joining such a mess.

On the flip side there are great gamers that game on Playstation. When I went on P2M the first time I could see how passionate those guys were about all platforms and all games. It made me feel kind of bummed that maybe I should let down my guard some, and just game.

Then I came back in here and was reminded by certain individuals why I want to punch them in the eye socket.

Maybe one day I will be a better person. Give up drinking, masturbating and finally buy a PS4.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#49 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I only come here for the lulz and to trash talk Person 4 Golden.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

Fanboys are way, way over the top now. It has gotten ridiculous the way people attach themselves to these consoles!!