How far ahead sony was of the curve.

• 77 results
#1 Edited by tormentos (20166 posts) -

SAN JOSE, Calif.--If distributed computing can unravel the building blocks of life, it can probably help make a better version of "Crash Bandicoot."

That appears to be Sony's thinking as the electronics giant moves ahead with development of the next version of its PlayStation video game console.

Speaking at the Game Developers Conference (GDC), an annual trade show for the creative and technological sides of the game industry, Shin'ichi Okamoto, chief technical officer for Sony Computer Entertainment, said research efforts for the PlayStation 3 are focusing on distributed computing, a method for spreading computational tasks across myriad networked computers.

Distributed computing is making headway as a way for researchers to conduct demanding computing experiments, such as an ongoing project by Stanford University to unlock protein structures.

Okamoto said the method also appears to hold the most promise for dramatically boosting the performance of the next PlayStation. Game developers have said they would like the next console to have a thousand times the processing power of the PlayStation 2. There's no way to do that with hardware advances alone, he said.

"Moore's Law is too slow for us," Okamoto said, referring to the long-held truism that semiconductor power doubles roughly every 18 months. "We can't wait 20 years" to achieve a 1,000-fold increase in PlayStation performance, he said.

http://news.cnet.com/PlayStation-3-The-next-generation/2100-1040_3-866288.html

What MS call now the cloud is what sony was experimenting on 2002 when MS was barely getting into the console market,i wonder why sony dropped the project maybe they hit the wall MS will hit bandwidth,even more on those time the average connection in 2002 was 56k.

But it goes to show how far ahead of the curve sony was vs its competitors,the same happen with Kinect,the same happen with market,HDD and several other things that sony had plan but that MS was able to introduce first.

March 21 2002...Not even xbox live was out.

Edit. Title fix for the spelling Nazis..

#2 Posted by parkurtommo (27707 posts) -

Courvo? Theu gouy froum Dishounered?

#3 Posted by clone01 (25297 posts) -

Slurp slurp.

#4 Posted by lawlessx (47176 posts) -

Courvo?

what exactly are we supposed to discuss here?

#5 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3548 posts) -

I saw my wife on the couvre last night

#6 Edited by BldgIrsh (3000 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

Courvo?

This.

I'd suggest we pick a topic for now: How about the time Tormentos had a melt-down on the original Last of Us review.

#7 Edited by mems_1224 (48572 posts) -

What the fuck is a courve? Speak English Tormentard.

#8 Posted by Blabadon (28444 posts) -

And Microsoft made a tablet PC before the iPad. Who cares.

#9 Posted by tormentos (20166 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRiDPad

#10 Posted by BldgIrsh (3000 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@Blabadon said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRiDPad

So... is @Blabadon's statement wrong?

#11 Edited by mems_1224 (48572 posts) -

#12 Posted by freedomfreak (43488 posts) -

#13 Edited by Heil68 (47172 posts) -

SONY and thew illustrious PS4 wins again. Current gen 8 leader and maker of the world's most powerful video game console.

#14 Posted by tormentos (20166 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

No i just thought one irrelevant reply deserved another..

By the way close to 10 reply an not a single argument about how sony was experimenting about increasing the PS3 power using a cloud when MS basically had 4 months on the market and xbox live wasn't even out.?

#16 Edited by lawlessx (47176 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@bldgirsh said:

No i just thought one irrelevant reply deserved another..

By the way close to 10 reply an not a single argument about how sony was experimenting about increasing the PS3 power using a cloud when MS basically had 4 months on the market and xbox live wasn't even out.?

because there is nothing to discuss. sony clearly stopped experimenting on the idea and went on releasing the ps3. Is this supposed to prove something?

#17 Posted by tormentos (20166 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

How did the thread backfire.?

If anything all we have see if the usual bunch of Tormentos haters who talk crap about me but can't stay away from my threads..hahahaha

So how does it feel to know the cloud crap as well as Kinect sh** are in sony's mind since the PS2 days while MS is trying to ride them on 2014..lol

#18 Edited by mems_1224 (48572 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@mems_1224 said:

If anything all we have see if the usual bunch of Tormentos haters who talk crap about me but can't stay away from my threads..hahahaha

So how does it feel to know the cloud crap as well as Kinect sh** are in sony's mind since the PS2 days while MS is trying to ride them on 2014..lol

#19 Edited by StrongDeadlift (5234 posts) -

Im not sure what premise is being attempted to be put fourth in this thread, but is TC implying that Sony's initiative with Folding @ Home is the same thing as Microsoft's cloud computing initiative?

Comparing a service where compute is offloaded to remote server farms, to a service where blocks of data are offloaded to local hardware in people's homes for compute?

#21 Posted by tormentos (20166 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

Im not sure what premise is being attempted to be put fourth in this thread, but is TC implying that Sony's initiative with Folding @ Home is the same thing as Microsoft's cloud computing initiative?

Comparing a service where compute is offloaded to remote server farms, to a service where blocks of data are offloaded to local hardware in people's homes for compute?

Okamoto said the method also appears to hold the most promise for dramatically boosting the performance of the next PlayStation.

The project wasn't about folding home it was about increasing the PS3 power,this came in other news on 2005 as well that sony was experimenting on using 1 PS3 that wasn't in use to stream resources to another platforms that need it.

I am sure they didn't continue with the project because they probably hit a wall bandwidth wise,and considering how they used Cell to pull the RSX up i am sure they where knee did in it.

Also kudos at least you try to make an argument rather than just troll.

#22 Posted by lostrib (42737 posts) -

Wait what? why are we talking about shit from 2002?

Who the fuck cares?

#23 Edited by Snugenz (12783 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@mems_1224 said:

Aww look at the little victim...

#24 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3255 posts) -

Too young to remember 2002.

#25 Posted by GarGx1 (3371 posts) -

Wasn't the PS3 supposed to introduce 4D gaming and the PS4 be capable of running games at 4k resolutions?

I love how he claims Moore's law to is too slow but they released their newest console with 2 year old tech inside.

Sony rhetoric at its' best.

More seriously though. Distributed computing was nothing new in 2002 (your own article is from 2001), for example the folding @ home project was already well under way. PS3's definitely contributed to the folding @ home project though, in 2007 it was instrumental in getting the "computing system" past the native petaFLOP boundary. This is great for working out complicated data but not particularly useful for gaming, which is likely why it hasn't been implemented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home

#26 Edited by ProjectPat187 (1986 posts) -

@clone01 said:

Slurp slurp.

lol exactly, thats what Tormato does best, keeps Sonys nuts clean LOL.

#27 Edited by Wasdie (50640 posts) -

A lot of people have been doing cloud computing. Sony rode off of what IBM was doing. They weren't ahead of the curve in anything.

Basically they too were researching ways of connecting lots of machines together for cheaper servers and saw some potential application for games. It's not going to be realized until we have no-latency networks, which is basically impossible.

If Sony was truly ahead of the curve they wouldn't have launched the PS3 with the shitty watered down 7800gs GPU they launched with and wouldn't have been so gullible of benchmarks of the Cell's performance.

This is just PR BS. Nothing has really been gained from this.

#28 Posted by SoftwareGeek (540 posts) -

@freedomfreak:

omg....that gif is HILARIOUS!

#30 Posted by freedomfreak (43488 posts) -
@softwaregeek said:

omg....that gif is HILARIOUS!

Thanks, man. I was inspired to make it because of Kung Pow. Check it out.

#31 Edited by slimdogmilionar (737 posts) -

@tormentos said:

SAN JOSE, Calif.--If distributed computing can unravel the building blocks of life, it can probably help make a better version of "Crash Bandicoot."

That appears to be Sony's thinking as the electronics giant moves ahead with development of the next version of its PlayStation video game console.

Speaking at the Game Developers Conference (GDC), an annual trade show for the creative and technological sides of the game industry, Shin'ichi Okamoto, chief technical officer for Sony Computer Entertainment, said research efforts for the PlayStation 3 are focusing on distributed computing, a method for spreading computational tasks across myriad networked computers.

Distributed computing is making headway as a way for researchers to conduct demanding computing experiments, such as an ongoing project by Stanford University to unlock protein structures.

Okamoto said the method also appears to hold the most promise for dramatically boosting the performance of the next PlayStation. Game developers have said they would like the next console to have a thousand times the processing power of the PlayStation 2. There's no way to do that with hardware advances alone, he said.

"Moore's Law is too slow for us," Okamoto said, referring to the long-held truism that semiconductor power doubles roughly every 18 months. "We can't wait 20 years" to achieve a 1,000-fold increase in PlayStation performance, he said.

http://news.cnet.com/PlayStation-3-The-next-generation/2100-1040_3-866288.html

What MS call now the cloud is what sony was experimenting on 2002 when MS was barely getting into the console market,i wonder why sony dropped the project maybe they hit the wall MS will hit bandwidth,even more on those time the average connection in 2002 was 56k.

But it goes to show how far ahead of the curve sony was vs its competitors,the same happen with Kinect,the same happen with market,HDD and several other things that sony had plan but that MS was able to introduce first.

March 21 2002...Not even xbox live was out.

Edit. Title fix for the spelling Nazis..

Funny. So now the cloud was Sony's idea but M$ were the ones to make it possible. But we are talking about a software company vs a hardware company. Maybe Sony dropped the project because they new it would cost more than they could afford, you'd need hundreds of thousands of servers and billions of dollars to pull it off, which M$ has. Not only that you'd need some of the best software engineers in the world which again we can accredit to M$.

"But it goes to show how far ahead of the curve sony was vs its competitors,the same happen with Kinect,the same happen with market,HDD and several other things that sony had plan but that MS was able to introduce first."

That's what happens when you have a company full of software engineers vs a company full of hardware engineers. Developers/hackers make the hardware do things that even the hardware engineer wasn't thinking about when they built the hardware. After all the crap you talked about the cloud I'm suprised to see this coming from you. Insecurity settling in.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/16/microsoft_catapult_fpgas/

#32 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1629 posts) -

ps4 sucks lol tormentos

#33 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Guess they realised the idea was impossible to implement and dropped it.

#34 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9489 posts) -

Cows are hilarious.

#35 Edited by 04dcarraher (20573 posts) -

hmm

#37 Edited by blackace (21405 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@lawlessx said:

Courvo?

This.

I'd suggest we pick a topic for now: How about the time Tormentos had a melt-down on the original Last of Us review.

El Tormo has meltdowns on every thread he posts in. lol!!

#38 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28502 posts) -

lolololololololol oh el tormo you never cease to amaze with your lack of brain cells.

#39 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5022 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

lol tormentos thread.

@farrell2k said:

lol. A tormentroll thread...

@WilliamRLBaker said:

lolololololololol oh el tormo you never cease to amaze with your lack of brain cells.

lol tomato thread

#40 Posted by tormentos (20166 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

because there is nothing to discuss. sony clearly stopped experimenting on the idea and went on releasing the ps3. Is this supposed to prove something?

Yeah how similar is the xbox to the PS in many things and how MS has basically took many ideas from the PS it self and wanted to make a big deal out of them,there are more than a few..

@Wasdie said:

A lot of people have been doing cloud computing. Sony rode off of what IBM was doing. They weren't ahead of the curve in anything.

Basically they too were researching ways of connecting lots of machines together for cheaper servers and saw some potential application for games. It's not going to be realized until we have no-latency networks, which is basically impossible.

If Sony was truly ahead of the curve they wouldn't have launched the PS3 with the shitty watered down 7800gs GPU they launched with and wouldn't have been so gullible of benchmarks of the Cell's performance.

This is just PR BS. Nothing has really been gained from this.

So IBM was working on cloud computing for a video game console.?

Come on Wes i know sony didn't created cloud computing,i was talking about the whole concept on consoles is pretty easy to see,they didn't invent DVD either and were the first to implement it on a console.

Well they launched with a 7800GS,and a blu-ray drive that on PC was $900 dollars,so blaming them for even having a 7800gs when their console is silly.

@slimdogmilionar said:

Funny. So now the cloud was Sony's idea but M$ were the ones to make it possible. But we are talking about a software company vs a hardware company. Maybe Sony dropped the project because they new it would cost more than they could afford, you'd need hundreds of thousands of servers and billions of dollars to pull it off, which M$ has. Not only that you'd need some of the best software engineers in the world which again we can accredit to M$.

"But it goes to show how far ahead of the curve sony was vs its competitors,the same happen with Kinect,the same happen with market,HDD and several other things that sony had plan but that MS was able to introduce first."

That's what happens when you have a company full of software engineers vs a company full of hardware engineers. Developers/hackers make the hardware do things that even the hardware engineer wasn't thinking about when they built the hardware. After all the crap you talked about the cloud I'm suprised to see this coming from you. Insecurity settling in.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/16/microsoft_catapult_fpgas/

First of sony on 2002 wasn't in financial problems dude they were generating allot of cash,hell the PS 2 in that time frame was like 30 million units sold.

Second the cloud MS build is not just for xbox,and if the xbox one dies tomorrow the cloud will still be there,MS didn't make that investment for the xbox one the xbox one simply benefit from been there when it was available.

Let me share with you some of the things MS grab from sony.

ESRAM ,EDRAM embedded memory yeah,that sh** you try to sell as the be all end all of gaming that will help the xbox one over come any pitfall,yeah the PS2 had 4MB of embedded ram n its GPU,is the reason why it has such a huge fillrate and why MGS2 choke on xbox on the rain scene.

DVD we all know it hell MS make you pay for it on xbox.

HDD yeah do you saw the PS2 had a back hole.? Yeah that was for the HDD sony planed to sell latter on,which MS copy an implemented on the xbox.

Market place,yeah again one of sony biggest letdown on the PS2,a store they had plan which never materialize until the PS3 which was MS was able to implement first.

Kinect not only the PS2 had the eye toy,but Kinect tech was actually offer to sony before it was offer to MS and sony refuse it,MS ended buying it.

Cloud.Some sony was experimenting since 2002 and which probably drop because of pitfalls over network transmission.

and MS didn't achieve it their cloud doesn't work for what they hyped it period,if you want to use office 365 great,if you want to stream power into the xbox one no that will no happen,aside from a few CPU process that don't require constant refreshing.

The funny thing about this is that i have been right all alone,you claimed Tile Resources and PRT weren't the same,and like told you many times it was and it ended been that way,confirmed by company who even make engines for it like Granite...

#41 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3548 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@mems_1224 said:

I love ya torm :) You are knowledgeable and funny, but the courve thing was funny you gotta admit :p

#42 Posted by Krelian-co (13071 posts) -

@blackace said:

@bldgirsh said:

@lawlessx said:

Courvo?

This.

El Tormo has meltdowns on every thread he posts in. lol!!

but you will always be #1 meltdown champ.

#43 Edited by slimdogmilionar (737 posts) -

@tormentos said:

First of sony on 2002 wasn't in financial problems dude they were generating allot of cash,hell the PS 2 in that time frame was like 30 million units sold.

Second the cloud MS build is not just for xbox,and if the xbox one dies tomorrow the cloud will still be there,MS didn't make that investment for the xbox one the xbox one simply benefit from been there when it was available.

Let me share with you some of the things MS grab from sony.

ESRAM ,EDRAM embedded memory yeah,that sh** you try to sell as the be all end all of gaming that will help the xbox one over come any pitfall,yeah the PS2 had 4MB of embedded ram n its GPU,is the reason why it has such a huge fillrate and why MGS2 choke on xbox on the rain scene.

DVD we all know it hell MS make you pay for it on xbox.

HDD yeah do you saw the PS2 had a back hole.? Yeah that was for the HDD sony planed to sell latter on,which MS copy an implemented on the xbox.

Market place,yeah again one of sony biggest letdown on the PS2,a store they had plan which never materialize until the PS3 which was MS was able to implement first.

Kinect not only the PS2 had the eye toy,but Kinect tech was actually offer to sony before it was offer to MS and sony refuse it,MS ended buying it.

Cloud.Some sony was experimenting since 2002 and which probably drop because of pitfalls over network transmission.

and MS didn't achieve it their cloud doesn't work for what they hyped it period,if you want to use office 365 great,if you want to stream power into the xbox one no that will no happen,aside from a few CPU process that don't require constant refreshing.

The funny thing about this is that i have been right all alone,you claimed Tile Resources and PRT weren't the same,and like told you many times it was and it ended been that way,confirmed by company who even make engines for it like Granite...

In 2002 Sony was only worth around 100 billion so no they didn't have to financial problems but it would have cost them a lot to fund the R&D and hardware for the cloud.

Lol we all know it wasn't built for Xbox. M$ just decided since they had the Cloud that they already had their foot in the door and decided to throw a couple of billion in R&D to bring the cloud to xbox.

Who said embedded ram was the end all for gaming, I would have rather had ddr3 and gddr5 but it wasn't my call. But I also read more than just gaming sites so I understand why M$ went this way.

So basically in lines 6-9 you are saying M$ was able to do what Sony couldn't do.

Lol how do you know M$ won't achieve what they want with the cloud. There is a company now dedicated to cloud middleware, M$ just provides the hardware I'll wait to see what they do with the cloud instead of taking your word for it. If Sony had a Cloud they would be working with Cloudgine to I bet.

Again another dumb comment that shows your lack of reading comprehension. Everyone knows PRT and tiled resources are the same what developers were saying is that M$ took a different approach to it and it will be more of a necessity on the xbox because of less memory bandwith. They are no different aside from the fact that esram alone can hold more textures than PS4 can in ram, same tech different approach.

Why are we arguing about this anyway none of this has nothing to do with my original post.

#44 Posted by lundy86_4 (44328 posts) -

This thread clearly went places on the first page lol.

#45 Posted by tormentos (20166 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

This thread clearly went places on the first page lol.

With the huge base of followers i have it was predictable...hahahaha

#46 Posted by lundy86_4 (44328 posts) -

@tormentos said:

With the huge base of followers i have it was predictable...hahahaha

I'm not sure you understood the attention for the utter banal of your post.

#47 Posted by clr84651 (5545 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Yes, as your ID says "You Are a Freak"!

#48 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3895 posts) -

I almost feel bad for Tormentos. Almost. He is still the only poster that I have ever seen have a mod edit his post.

I bet Tormentos would sacrifice his own children to save Sony.

#49 Posted by cainetao11 (19524 posts) -

Well I guess this means something to you and I say good for you. But there were many instances in human history of people or groups of people thinking or looking into things. But those that actually go forth are the ones remembered. Sega made the dreamcast able to go online, but the Xbox is the console that brought online as a mainstay. German researchers were looking into atomic energy, but it was the US that got it out there for better or worse.

#50 Posted by xscrapzx (6441 posts) -

So basically you are letting us know a company with billions did some R&D work? There are tons of things that corporations do that are ahead of the curve, but never see the light of day for whatever reason. Too bad Xerox didn't give up so easily on a lot of their inventions.