How does SONY do it?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for BattlefieldFan3
BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BattlefieldFan3
Member since 2012 • 361 Posts

Every day, I'm impressed by SONY and the talented people who work for this wondrous company.

The PS4 is nothing short of spectacular. It was engineered with such elegance and precision that you'd think God himself designed the machine. It's so powerful and efficient, yet cheap and affordable. The 8 GB GDDR5 RAM bombshell sent the entire lem faction into mass suicide, as they couldn't contain the insurmountable ownage that SONY has done on their asses. How? How did SONY make such an incredible machine with just a few million dollars in R&D? How did SONY utterly dominate microsoft even when Microsoft spent $6+ billion in R&D. Even today, months after the original announcements of both machines, I can not completely fathom how SONY managed to spank Microsoft so hard.

Then we have Naughty Dog, the greatest video game developer of all time. Not even Rockstar, who spend over $100 million in development budget and spent 6-7 years developing GTA V could stop the talented folks at Naughty Dog. The Last of Us has gained unprecedented amounts of GOTY and GOAT awards, humiliating Rockstar. They did it all in 2-3 years of development, with a new IP and with only several million dollars.

As we march towards the years of this gen and all future generations, we can rest assured knowing that SONY's brilliance can never be matched and that greatness awaits for all PlayStation gamers.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

By not listening to their rabid fanboy userbase and shitting the bed even harder than they do already if they had done so.

Sony needs to get back in black faster and with the Vita and everything about them that's not the PS4, that's not happening.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Meanwhile in handheld land...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

But teh grafix

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

All of these amazing feats and yet- AND YET- they can't manage to topple inferior hardware in the handheld space.

Guess God didn't have a hand in the Vita, eh?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib

@SEANMCAD said:

After the Xbox One release event and reading up a little bit about it I predicted that heads at Microsoft would role and it could very well be the end of Microsoft in the Retail space.

Two weeks later guess who said he was going quit.

I think Microsoft will be around for a long time but Microsoft Retail (phones etc) is going to die.

The Business to Business unit (Servers, Database etc) is very strong.

Windows Phone has actually been gaining ground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SEANMCAD said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

All of these amazing feats and yet- AND YET- they can't manage to topple inferior hardware in the handheld space.

in all fairness what self respecting gamer gives a shit about hand held space :)

at least that is my personal view

If you're a self respecting gamer, you have to give a shit about the handheld space.

Especially since some of the best games these days are on the handhelds.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib

@SEANMCAD said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

in all fairness what self respecting gamer gives a shit about hand held space :)

your personal views seem pretty shitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SEANMCAD said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

If you're a self respecting gamer, you have to give a shit about the handheld space.

the best games around are on a 6" screen. Stop fucking with me.

sorry...no

Ahhh, so games are defined by the quality of a screen. Gotcha.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Wait how old is this thread? They are about to sell a couple warehouses full of these... PlayStation Now will be a Vita mover... not to mention there will likely at some point be PS4/Vita bundle deals for a decent price. I might actually re-purchase a Vita at some point.... maybe.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Wow.

The VITA is just handheld savior that everyone ignored.

The platform (not just the handheld itself) will resurrect itself without the Uncanny Valley controls and graphics to leverage portable gaming standards for the world to see and appreciate.. hopefully with the consumer's wallets.. and released in a timely manner.

lmao

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Magical pixie dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@WitIsWisdom said:

Wait how old is this thread? They are about to sell a couple warehouses full of these... PlayStation Now will be a Vita mover... not to mention there will likely at some point be PS4/Vita bundle deals for a decent price. I might actually re-purchase a Vita at some point.... maybe.

First, Vita's superior power was going to be a Vita mover. Then its games like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed were going to be Vita movers. Then it was going to be the price drop that was the Vita mover. Then it was going to be Remote Play that was going to be the Vita mover.

So now we're on PlayStation Now, a service that is incidentally also supported on 80 million PS3s, all the PS4s that everyone is rushing out to buy, and smartphones, tablets, and TVs. Somehow, this will sell Vitas. Okay then.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SEANMCAD said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

sorry...no

not exactly but close.

The question becomes this. What exactly makes the game experience on the handheld any better than the same game would be on a computer monitor?

all games are software so at a low level they can all work on a PC. So if you have a kick ass game for a hand held my question is why would I not want to play it on a PC instead?

Because you can't. Those games are handheld exclusives. And if you're a gamer, you're going to suck it up and follow the games, especially when the handhelds have some flat out incredible games that are so often better than console games.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@SEANMCAD: How about because it will never BE on a PC? Zelda, Mario, DK, et a will never appear on your monitor unless you're a software-stealing scumbag.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SEANMCAD said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

sorry...no

not exactly but close.

The question becomes this. What exactly makes the game experience on the handheld any better than the same game would be on a computer monitor?

all games are software so at a low level they can all work on a PC. So if you have a kick ass game for a hand held my question is why would I not want to play it on a PC instead?

Because you can't. Those games are handheld exclusives. And if you're a gamer, you're going to suck it up and follow the games, especially when the handhelds have some flat out incredible games that are so often better than console games.

that is a business decision not a technical issue

My point is why not just make that kick ass handheld game for the PC instead.

The game platform itself is retarded for anything other than casual gaming on the bus. Exclusives are just silly.

Then why is every console game not on PC as well? Why are phone games not on PC as well? Clearly, the PC would make all of them better, right?

Why bother with anything other than PC gaming? Consoles themselves are only for casual plug and play gaming at best, exclusives are just silly. Right?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#23 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Sony is truly the company for gamers everywhere. Thanks Kaz.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Sony is truly the company for gamers everywhere. Thanks Kaz.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

After the Xbox One release event and reading up a little bit about it I predicted that heads at Microsoft would role and it could very well be the end of Microsoft in the Retail space.

I think Microsoft will be around for a long time but Microsoft Retail (phones etc) is going to die.

Microsoft market share of phones, tablets and consoles are all growing growing. (it is gaining on the Wii U at least and will give the PS4 a run for its money as some of the big games are released/price is dropped)

In addtion microsoft software/service has:

• 5% and growing of the phone market share
  • 90% of the PC market share
  • 30% of the web market share.
  • 57% of the web browser market share
  • 30% of the search market (including Yahoo, which Bing powers)
  • 30% of the previous gen console market share
  • 25% of the current gen market share
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@WitIsWisdom said:

First, Vita's superior power was going to be a Vita mover. Then its games like Uncharted and Assassin's Creed were going to be Vita movers. Then it was going to be the price drop that was the Vita mover. Then it was going to be Remote Play that was going to be the Vita mover.

So now we're on PlayStation Now, a service that is incidentally also supported on 80 million PS3s, all the PS4s that everyone is rushing out to buy, and smartphones, tablets, and TVs. Somehow, this will sell Vitas. Okay then.

lol... easy their smoky. No one is saying it is magically going to sell more than Nintendo handhelds... that is HIGHLY unlikely on about every front, however, to think this wont move some units is ignorant.. plain and simple. The Vita has not sold well due to a lack of support... it doesn't matter WHAT games it gets, if there are suddenly a LOT more then yes, they will sell much better. I could be wrong, but I rarely am.. We will see who is right. If I am wrong I'll be the first to admit it, but I have said that countless times on this site and as long as I can remember... I have not been wrong. Call me Witstrodamus if you will.

Also... I was NOT one of the ones who said this, that, or the other would move Vitas, and quite frankly I could care less... I'm just saying that THIS will. Mark my words... and this is coming from someone who DOES NOT own a Vita... I did.. but got rid of it due to LACK OF SUPPORT.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

So many of these threads claiming dominance. Save the dominance threads when you have a decent backlog of exclusives that Xboxers might actually be jealous about playing. Killzone, Knack and Resogun are not enough to give anyone console envy im afraid.

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

Its not looking good for Sony, selling 1.5 mil more than the competition is a mild victory if you can say that given they are making a loss on the hardware (unlike MS). Financially they are in real danger.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

TC you answered you question yourself it is GODS hands

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

PS4 offers good value at $400 but it's certainly nothing special (yes it's a bit better than the xbone) when it come to performance. A hi-end pc from 2010 (talking about dual GPUs here) outperforms the ps4, no doubt. And that's unprecedented that a game console is outperformed by a pc that is 3 years older than the console itself.
I think the ps4 offers good value as I said, and I will buy one later this year for the exclusives but performance wise it's not very impressive.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Waits for a cow to respond with a "meanwhile in the console land" with a Wii U picture.

Anyway I really do like the design of the ps vita. Kind of reminids me of a more modern sega gamegear. But im not really into handheld gaming. handhelds are good if you're on a long road trip or something but if im at home id much rather be playing console or PC games on a larger viewing screen.

challenger_155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By challenger_155
Member since 2014 • 47 Posts

This has to be the joke of the century. God created the PS4? Then I guess the Master Race was invented by a force so powerful that they are greater than God themselves. 8GB of RAM sent the lems into mass suicide? Then I guess the amount of RAM in modern gaming PC'S sent the entire inferior race peasants into mass slaughter, as they couldn't contain the insurmountable ownage that their masters have done on their asses. Even today, long after the original announcements of both machines, I cannot fathom how the Masters managed to spank the inferior race so hard that they became their toilet paper. I guess its because we are the God you spoke about, and we are the creators of the consoles.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Good question TC, how does Sony manage to turn their fans into brainwashed idiots that will spout any old nonsense in order to show people the "majesty of Sony"?

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

nope Windows Phones are absolutely sh*te, as much power they have and the whole new decent camera it still doesn't compete with apps, the apps are horrid the rubbish windows 8 boxes are bland and don't truly intergrate with anything, facebook app is slow and unresponsive with half the interaction of facebook esp when you can use the web browser to use facebook, twitter doesn't work properly.

When samsung seem to have just nailed it, everything worths andriod has a billion apps which work, i honestly think microsoft needs to ditch the bland tile fiasco of windows 8, it really does nothing good. my phone is horrid which is a windows phone i really wish i never went for different.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36  Edited By deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@bobbetybob: How does Sony do it ?

mmmm :/

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SEANMCAD said:

@El_Zo1212o said:

sorry...no

The games aren't defined by the screen, but the "playing experience" can be. Playing a game like Mario Kart on 3DS actually hurts my hands because the device is so small and awkard for me to hold (the buttons are so damn tiny).

I also wouldn't say the "best" games are on handheld either. Are there a few good ones essential to handhelds? Sure. But there's a ton of ports. Look how many N64 ports ended up as FULL RETAIL 3DS games - and the Vita is getting a ton of PS2 remasters as well. However even for games that aren't "ports", many of the supposedly NEW experiences literally look like they could have been taken from previous console eras.

That being said, I've only played a handful of games each on 3DS or Vita. But I have played some of their top games, and while it's a fun little diversion neither one is "essential" to me by any means. And even when a game is really great, one of my first thoughts is usually ("damn, too bad it's on a handheld").

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

nope Windows Phones are absolutely sh*te, as much power they have and the whole new decent camera it still doesn't compete with apps, the apps are horrid the rubbish windows 8 boxes are bland and don't truly intergrate with anything, facebook app is slow and unresponsive with half the interaction of facebook esp when you can use the web browser to use facebook, twitter doesn't work properly.

When samsung seem to have just nailed it, everything worths andriod has a billion apps which work, i honestly think microsoft needs to ditch the bland tile fiasco of windows 8, it really does nothing good. my phone is horrid which is a windows phone i really wish i never went for different.

Speak for yourself. I find my Windows phone to be a huge upgrade over my last Android phone (Galaxy S2). Is it the app market much smaller? Sure, but I really only find myself "missing" a couple of apps.

I'm sure if i paid attention to mobile games or I needed thousands of apps (why?) I would maybe miss something. But as a phone, and for what I need it's a far superior experience. If it continues to gain traction, it will continue to get more apps.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

And yet MSoft took market share from both Android and Apple.

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

Those lumia 520 is in everywhere cheap but realible and the camera is decent for $60 off contract phone

http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-says-windows-phone-beating-iphone-24-markets-044508728.html

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

You could have blogged this. Hlopefuilly Sony paid you for your time in writing your opinions.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Sony makes nice consoles, but their first party studios leave a lot to be desired for the most part IMHO.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts
@nyzma23 said:

@kuu2 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

Those lumia 520 is in everywhere cheap but realible and the camera is decent for $60 off contract phone

http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-says-windows-phone-beating-iphone-24-markets-044508728.html

Most people if they actually used a Windows Phone they would never go back to Android/iPhones. The Windows Phones are far more user friendly and integrated and I don't have to buy into some draconian music service to actually have my own music on my phone.

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

I'm impressed by Sony as well. Compared to the xbone the PS4 has a better GPU, CPU, and ram while also costing $100 less. The controller and online have been improved greatly and to many people are superior to what's available on the xbone.

The PS4 is the most powerful console of all time with the best combination of 1st and 3rd party games available all for $100 less.

Makes me happy to see Sony will be back in first place.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@BattlefieldFan3 said:

Every day, I'm impressed by SONY and the talented people who work for this wondrous company.

The PS4 is nothing short of spectacular. It was engineered with such elegance and precision that you'd think God himself designed the machine. It's so powerful and efficient, yet cheap and affordable. The 8 GB GDDR5 RAM bombshell sent the entire lem faction into mass suicide, as they couldn't contain the insurmountable ownage that SONY has done on their asses. How? How did SONY make such an incredible machine with just a few million dollars in R&D? How did SONY utterly dominate microsoft even when Microsoft spent $6+ billion in R&D. Even today, months after the original announcements of both machines, I can not completely fathom how SONY managed to spank Microsoft so hard.

Then we have Naughty Dog, the greatest video game developer of all time. Not even Rockstar, who spend over $100 million in development budget and spent 6-7 years developing GTA V could stop the talented folks at Naughty Dog. The Last of Us has gained unprecedented amounts of GOTY and GOAT awards, humiliating Rockstar. They did it all in 2-3 years of development, with a new IP and with only several million dollars.

As we march towards the years of this gen and all future generations, we can rest assured knowing that SONY's brilliance can never be matched and that greatness awaits for all PlayStation gamers.

Yawn.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@kuu2 said:
@nyzma23 said:

@kuu2 said:

@bezza2011 said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

Most people if they actually used a Windows Phone they would never go back to Android/iPhones. The Windows Phones are far more user friendly and integrated and I don't have to buy into some draconian music service to actually have my own music on my phone.

What i have a windows phone and i think they are dog awful, integrated? there rubbish you know there rubbish when it's easier to use apps oin the phone through the web browser than the actual app.

Plus Nokia themselves had to be bought out because the phones were rubbish it's the windows 8 style, it isn't as smooth as apple or samsung. until windows phones get the apps like andriod do then they are always going to be beaten and better.

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PinkieWinkie
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

@Pikminmaniac: lol as compared to who? Go play your kiddy ass Nintendo games.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Why do Cows feel the need to make threads expressing their love for Sony? Are you all in a cult now or something? Is Kaz hurting you? Is he touching you? Do I need to go get an adult?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lostrib

@bezza2011 said:

@lostrib said:

@SEANMCAD said:

Try actually reading before you comment. I said nothing about the quality of Windows Phones, just simply that they had gained market share. Dumbass

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I don't know how some of you guys do it...owning handhelds, every console, gaming on the PC...it all leads me to believe that some of you are not particularly well-rounded individuals.

To those of you that game on everything, do you have hobbies outside of gaming? How do you find the time?