How do FPSs hold up on the Wii compared to other consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wagepeace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wagepeace
Member since 2007 • 885 Posts

I'll be buying my parents a Wii for their anniversary pretty soon, but I thought that it would be a good opportunity to score some games of my own, as well. I was just wondering how the Wii holds up as far as FPS are concerned?

Now OBVIOUSLY, it seems that the graphical comparison would certainly fall short to that of a 360 or PS3...but in terms of gameplay, are they any better or worse? It seems like a lot could be done with the innovative controls.. especially the zapper. (Can you use that for any FPS?) In actuality I'm surprised more companies haven't jumped on that bandwagon (assuming they haven't already....)

MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
[QUOTE="wagepeace"]

I'll be buying my parents a Wii for their anniversary pretty soon, but I thought that it would be a good opportunity to score some games of my own, as well. I was just wondering how the Wii holds up as far as FPS are concerned?

Now OBVIOUSLY, it seems that the graphical comparison would certainly fall short to that of a 360 or PS3...but in terms of gameplay, are they any better or worse? It seems like a lot could be done with the innovative controls.. especially the zapper. (Can you use that for any FPS?) In actuality I'm surprised more companies haven't jumped on that bandwagon (assuming they haven't already....)

I'm sorry to admit but they don't stack up to well at all. Maybe eventually once more developers take advantage of the wii motion plus we'll finally get a decent fps to play on the wii.
scdorrell0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 scdorrell0422
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

I really Like wii fps games, If they're put together well and don't use THE ZAPPER |:

shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shoryuken_
Member since 2009 • 3420 Posts

The only game that I would consider a good FPS on Wii is the Metroid Prime series (or first person adventure if you want to be picky). You should definitely pick up Metroid Prime Trilogy when it comes out on August 24th (if you live in USA), it contains all three games in the series with some minor improvements over the original games.

wagepeace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wagepeace

I really Like wii fps games, If they're put together well and don't use THE ZAPPER |:

scdorrell0422

..call it what you want. but you and i BOTH know EXACTLY what I'm referring to. :lol:

Now THAT's marketing.

wagepeace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wagepeace

..and I saw the sign for Metroid presales at a store today. Looks pretty good.......

shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shoryuken_
Member since 2009 • 3420 Posts

..and I saw the sign for Metroid presales at a store today. Looks pretty good.......

wagepeace

Definitely pick this one up if you're looking for a FPS. This game probably has the best FPS controls on all of the home consoles. That's also really nice of you to buy a Wii for your parent's anniversary. Mad props. :D

Hanass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 Hanass
Member since 2008 • 2204 Posts

They better start making FPS games that look better than online flash games.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Good controls but the games aren't great.
Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Well if you're getting a Wii and just so happen to not have any of the Metroid Prime games, then go for the Metroid Prime Trilogy, that alone should keep you quite occupied.

SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
Besides WaW and MP3 (I know, don't flame me)...pretty dismal.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

[QUOTE="wagepeace"]

shoryuken_

Definitely pick this one up if you're looking for a FPS. This game probably has the best FPS controls on all of the home consoles. That's also really nice of you to buy a Wii for your parent's anniversary. Mad props. :D

Can't wait to get it. :D Anyway, I really like the controls on the wii for FPS games.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts
They suck generally but it's not due to a limitation in the control type, it's a limitation in terms of the hardware capabilities of the console and the fact that game developers aren't willing to put as much time into games for the platform as they are for other platforms. That and the failure online service. However, Metroid is a notable exception to a sad rule. Lightgun games also seem to rock on the Wii. I WISH developers would catch on to this "Wii mote would be awesome for FPS" thing.
TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

They dont hold up at all, exception being Metroid. Stronger than last gen hardware (if only by a bit:P) and yet they still arent able to make FPS's that compare to last gen titles.. I mean common, The Conduit makes Halo: CE feel like Killzone 2.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

There haven't really been any good FPS for the system.

Avatar image for scouttrooperbob
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 scouttrooperbob
Member since 2008 • 2439 Posts

harder to aim and snpie but it can be realy fun me and my friend had a lot of fun with WaW before we got 360s

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

There aren't many to choose from to be honest. And only a couple are worth playing. Metroid is good, I liked the conduit, but some people disagree so you might want to rent. I also liked CoD W@W...even more than the 360 version.

Gameplay wise, you won't see anything new or amazing. Wii has few shooters and they play just like any other. The graphics, physics, and AI are of course worse compared to the other consoles, but wii shooters do control much much better...so it's a bit of a double edged sword.

As always, rent first and read reviews.

anarchist4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 anarchist4eva
Member since 2009 • 222 Posts

Not very well I'm affraid. Which is a shame because the controls could really be magic. Take The Conduit just asan example. Graphically the best on the system not made by Nintendo. When it doesn't slow way down! But the control is terrible. I played thru it in about 7 hours with only 1 continue. And I'm not ashamed to admit I generally despise FPS games. Stick to Metroid. Those are classics & worth the money.

Avatar image for randomwiiplayer
randomwiiplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 randomwiiplayer
Member since 2009 • 1804 Posts

They don't get very good reviews from gamers or reviewers,but I think they are good.