How dead is the WiiU version of Smash bros?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Since its better half, the 3DS version will not suffer from deflated hype, comes out waay sooner, and is on arguably the most popular system around? WiiU version had a better chance when they were same day release. Christmas sales, if it comes out before then, can only do so much

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

@Capitan_Kid said:

Since its better half, the 3DS version will not suffer from deflated hype, comes out waay sooner, and is on arguably the most popular system around? WiiU version had a better chance when they were same day release. Christmas sales, if it comes out before then, can only do so much

You aren't a marketing genius are you? Anyone who is an all around Nintendo fan knows the lesser version will be on the 3DS, and the 3DS version will only fuel the hype for the Wii-U version with characters, maps, abilities and everything else Smash Bros.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

You've got just as much opinion as you do fact there. Given that, I'll treat it as an opinion piece and give my own:

It's not dead.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@Slashkice said:

It'll do fine. Nintendo always benefits the most from holiday sales and they're clearly positioning Smash Bros. on Wii U as their big game of the season (because what else do they even have?). Having the 3DS version launch first won't hurt them that much in the long run. It does further emphasize the utter drought the Wii U lineup is going to have after MK8 though.

It could happen, but there's also a metric f-ton of games with no release dates yet.... Well, four or five at least. To be a Nintendo gamer, you essentially have to own both of their consoles. They release 3DS games when Wii U games aren't coming out and vice-versa.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Lol. Wii U version will be the better.

Bait thread on that.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

captain kid...his name says it all.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Capitan_Kid

@Slimmin360: Since clearly, you are a marketing a genius. Tell me how a game with a super low install base on a crashing system with a price higher than necessary, is going to fair better than the version thats coming out waaay sooner, at a cheap price, with a higher install base, that is virtually identitical except in stages and a probably a single player mode? You really think the average buyer is gonna go for a 60 buck version of a game on a system they might not even own? And its not like Nintendo are masters of marketing. They wont push enough to give the masses a reason to pick it. The 3DS version isnt a lesser version.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@Capitan_Kid said:

@Slimmin360: Since clearly, you are a marketing a genius. Tell me how a game with a super low install base on a crashing system with a price higher than necessary, is going to fair better than the version thats coming out waaay sooner, at a cheap price, with a higher install base, that is virtually identitical except in stages and a probably a single player mode? You really think the average buyer is gonna go for a 60 buck version of a game on a system they might not even own? And its not like Nintendo are masters of marketing. They wont push enough to give the masses a reason to pick it. The 3DS version isnt a lesser version.

It is freaking Smash Brothers. Small price cut+Smash Brothers bundle=ultimate system seller. It won't make Nintendo a contender, but if they bundle the game for three hundred bucks, they won't be able to keep up with the first month of demand. It will also be a hot X-mas item.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I'm sure the game will still sell a lot on Wii U.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

@Capitan_Kid said:

The 3DS version of SSB is not the lesser version? Your going to end with that, seriously? So now the 3DS hardware is on par with the Wii-U hardware? uh i don't think so.

You also seem to think that 6.5 million (vgchartz.com) people that own the Wii-U actually don't own one? thats the size of the install base right now, and i'm sure at least 3/4 of those people at least, will all be buying SSB when it comes out in December, plus if you paid attention to the SSB Nintendo direct video you would see that both versions are not identical.

" A crashing system" REALLY? you've never seen previous Nintendo console releases, they all get a sudden burst of the sales with each 1st party release, and thats how they continue their steady flow of sales, never all at once, thats rare for Nintendo except for the first 2 years of (Wii Sales), otherwise with each new 1st party release more Nintendo consoles fly off store shelves, and it will happen with Wii-U as well, whether you believe it or not.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

It would take a great **** up..that Smash Bros on 3DS turns out crap..then it may turn people away from getting Wii U version. At the moment too early to tell, what gonna happen with Wii U version..got told the characters roster stays the same on both versions..so that's kinda lame already. :P

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#13 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I can't wait to play the 3DS version. Smash Bros on the fly, where I live (a college campus) will be amazing, Just being able to connect and play with random folks I see is gonna be ace.

Plus, Smash Run= City Trial and that's jaw droppingly awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Everyone knows that the only real way to play Smash Bros. is on the big screen, locally, with proper controls. The 3DS version will always be hamstrung by its controls, no matter what.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Only casuals would think the 3DS version would control as well as the Wii U version

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Capitan_Kid

@kittennose:

So what if its Smash Bros? Its a late release on the WiiU. The sane thing sheep were complaining before about Ubisoft but now all of a sudden its ok? Super Mario 3D World didnt sell gangbusters. Nor did Pikmin 3 or Donkey Kong but you think a late release of Smash Bros can do what they couldnt?

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#17 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Its better half? Lol.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think the version with local coop and HD graphics is the better version and I'm willing to wait 4-5 months to get that one.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Capitan_Kid

@Slimmin360: They both run at 60 FPS . They both have the same characters. The only thing different is a few stages and game modes. They are practically the same except the WiiU version has shinier graphics.

Like I told the other guy. Other big name WiiU games didnt manage to sell much at Christmas. This is a game thats hype will have been deflated by its previous release. Your average customer isnt gonna get both versions. Its very likely they'll get the 3DS version

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Smash Bros has been a console title from the very beginning. A watered down handheld iteration isn't going to take away from it.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Capitan_Kid

@princeofshapeir: Lol mr hardcore. Smash bros is not some super hard to play game.

Up down left right is all the control stick does in these games. There wont be a significant difference in how they play

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@Capitan_Kid said:

@Slimmin360: They both run at 60 FPS . They both have the same characters. The only thing different is a few stages and game modes. They are practically the same except the WiiU version has shinier graphics.

Like I told the other guy. Other big name WiiU games didnt manage to sell much at Christmas. This is a game thats hype will have been deflated by its previous release. Your average customer isnt gonna get both versions. Its very likely they'll get the 3DS version

Yeah except for one gigantic, huge difference that you've completely ignored which is split screen play. One of the main draws of Smash Bros and Mario Kart for a lot of people is that option and that's only available on the WiiU.

Your average customer is going to want to play whichever version of the game is appealing to them, not everyone wants to play a fighting game on a handheld, stop acting like you speak for everybody.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Capitan_Kid

@bobbetybob: I think you are overrating the appeal of local multiplayer in this day and age. Mario Kart on the DS and 3DS sold gangbusters and they didnt have it. Its doesnt carry the appeal it used to. How can you tell me not to speak for everybody when you are doing the same thing?

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

It was a smart move. If released on the same day the 3ds would cannibalize on the Wii u version sales. This way they can get everyone to buy the 3ds version in summer, announce something hype worthy for the"bigger/better" Wii u version and get everyone to buy that version too come winter.

It would maximize the sales for both versions of the game.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 princeofshapeir

@Capitan_Kid said:

@princeofshapeir: Lol mr hardcore. Smash bros is not some super hard to play game.

Up down left right is all the control stick does in these games. There wont be a significant difference in how they play

Confirmed casual :^)

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Nintendo knows which system is worth pushing this year. They are obviously giving up on the Wii U. No reason why the Wii U version couldn't release in the Summer as well. Nintendo knows the Wii U is a lost cause. Expect another price drop with the release of Smash Bros U.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I don't think the WiiU version is "dead".

It'll sell well for the WiiU userbase (not great, but people will get it).

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#28 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@Capitan_Kid said:

Coolyfett think the Wii U is very dead and NIntendo should release a 3DS HDMI output adapter so 3DS gamers can play on HDTVs.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#29 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Coolyfett: I think that would require Nintendo to completely redesign the 3DS.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#30 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts
@emgesp said:

Nintendo knows which system is worth pushing this year. They are obviously giving up on the Wii U. No reason why the Wii U version couldn't release in the Summer as well. Nintendo knows the Wii U is a lost cause. Expect another price drop with the release of Smash Bros U.

When they release a Metroid and Zelda they should put them both on the 3DS, and all the 3rd parties who are building games for PS4 and XBone should start looking at the 3DS for easy revenue.

@Capitan_Kid said:

Coolyfett think the Wii U is very dead and NIntendo should release a 3DS HDMI output adapter so 3DS gamers can play on HDTVs.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

You aren't a marketing genius are you? Anyone who is an all around Nintendo fan knows the lesser version will be on the 3DS, and the 3DS version will only fuel the hype for the Wii-U version with characters, maps, abilities and everything else Smash Bros.

holy shit, and intelligent post from slimmin360!?

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I don't think it will matter too much. There are several factors in play but at the end of the day I don't think it will do much to the wiiu versions sales even if the worst was to happen.

I do feel that having two versions was probably the best way to go overall though.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

The 3DS version is coming out first because obviously it has less features and content than the main WiiU version. Anyone that want the best Smash 4 experience will likely have to get the WiiU version.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@speak_low: Lol, I see after your thorough ownage in the other Smash Bros. thread, you are now continuing your doom mongering in here. Just pathetic.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pikminmaniac  Online
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I was really disappointed to find out the releases are being handled this way. The 3DS version will clearly be the lesser of the two given the controls and the lack of big screen local multiplayer. Two of the most important aspects needed to enjoy the game.

I also feel like this can only hurt the sales of the Wii U. If you can just get the game on the more popular and cheaper console with a lot of the content, then why bother spending the money on a Wii U? Smash was always a big system seller for Nintendo, but releasing the game on their more popular handheld and months earlier doesn't really give much of a selling edge for the Wii U console. Something it really needs right now.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@emgesp said:

I disagree. Mario Kart 8 is yet to come out and the previous iteration on Wii was easily the most sold Wii game with figures sitting at a cool 34 million.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

I was really disappointed to find out the releases are being handled this way. The 3DS version will clearly be the lesser of the two given the controls and the lack of big screen local multiplayer. Two of the most important aspects needed to enjoy the game.

I also feel like this can only hurt the sales of the Wii U. If you can just get the game on the more popular and cheaper console with a lot of the content, then why bother spending the money on a Wii U? Smash was always a big system seller for Nintendo, but releasing the game on their more popular handheld and months earlier doesn't really give much of a selling edge for the Wii U console. Something it really needs right now.

Well, if I owned both consoles I'd probably get both versions. One that I can play right now and anywhere and other to play as a party game at home in HD with friends.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Well Nintendo knows that the user base is so small on the WiiU, they want to try and get as many sales on the 3DS first.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pikminmaniac  Online
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@Kjranu said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

Well, if I owned both consoles I'd probably get both versions. One that I can play right now and anywhere and other to play as a party game at home in HD with friends.

That's how I feel as well, but Nintendo really needs to figure out ways to sell the console that's in trouble. Having Smash Bros. exclusive for it for at least a while could have been a big help.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I have zero interest in the 3DS version and will be getting the Wii U version.

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 princeofshapeir

The logic for releasing the 3DS version first is very simple: it's not going to be the best version. The Wii U version is the real version, and will be releasing during the holiday season. Had the 3DS and Wii U version released side-by-side the 3DS version would have been cannibalized by the Wii U version.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I'm looking forward to the 3DS version more than the WiiU version. I'm hoping the 3DS version can turn my opinion around on the franchise because I'm not much of a Smash Bros fan.

louisfoxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 louisfoxton
Member since 2007 • 1400 Posts

i own both a wii u and a 3ds and im getting both , i think nintendo won me over on buy both because of the release dates at first i wasn't gonna get the 3ds version but its coming out this summer and summer doesnt have any games coming out beside watchdogs, Mk8 and thats it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@speak_low: lol. You're a sad individual, dude. I don't know what Nintendo did to you (maybe your mom got you a Saturn instead of an N64 for Christmas when you were a kid or something, idk), but seriously, chill, take a breath, go outside, think about other things. It's really very sad otherwise.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Wii U got mario kart 8 for the summer this will sell millions it was a good move from Nintendo to keep their other big game for the winter also as others mentioned actually Wi U version will benefit from having the 3DS version released first because after it everyone will be hungry and looking forward the real big thing.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

Everyone knows that the only real way to play Smash Bros. is on the big screen, locally, with proper controls.

Yup. I don't even enjoy playing Smash unless I have a few other people in the same room playing. The game is built for local mp.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@speak_low said:

@charizard1605

Yes, go outside and think about other things - says the guy with a staggering 52,439 posts. One can only imagine the amount of Nintendo defenses that went awry in those threads and body of paragraphs that led nowhere for Nintendo. How many Nintendo predictions plummeted straight into Wrongville?

Next time don't quote or challenge me and claim "ownage", than end it with derivative cliched jabs about childhood motherly traumas or taking chill pills - it's like posting a pic of the dancingbaby.gif in 2014.

In terms of derivative offerings, Nintendo produces quite enough of it themselves.

52,000 posts over eight years. That comes down to little over 5 posts a day. Assuming each post takes half a minute to type? Yeah, I think I can spare seven and a half minutes out of my day to type.

You're an idiot. Your entire posting history is a museum to irrational hatred for Nintendo. You're a joke with anyone with half a tendency for objectivity. People like g0ddy and GD1551 are better posters than you, and that is saying something.