How can anyone be an Early adopter. There are no positives

  • 57 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Bishop1310 (1198 posts) -

The launch line ups for both these consoles is just brutal. In my opinion the X1 has the better titles, or the ones im interested in anyway, even then, it's a gross line up.

Why MS or Sony don't complete a system and give it to developers internally for a year to produce decent games ill never know...

Can anyone on here actually say they purchased the PS4 for KZ or the X1 for Forza? If those are system sellers and get you guys to spend 400 - 500 bucks on hardware then we as consumers are failing ourselves and the game industry.

Now that reviews are coming in I don't see any positives in owning these things early. You have a high change of getting a broken one, it happens with all electronics. The online services typically never work for a few weeks into launch, hence PSN right now, BF4's PS4 online is a mess and I'm predicting some pretty awful down times for live come the X1 launch.

Besides it being a pissing and d*ck measuring contest with your friends why do any of you buy these consoles early?

#2 Edited by AMD655 (4494 posts) -

Only game on PS4 that i thought looked good was Knack, and X1, Ryse has yet to shine or fall, same as Titanfall.

Other than that yeah............

#3 Edited by HadOne2Many (1469 posts) -

Forza is most definitely a system seller.

#4 Edited by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

@Bishop1310: you hit it right on the head, it's a pissing contest for bragging rights.

#5 Posted by Sophette (509 posts) -

To be honest, I bought my PS4 as a early birthday present for myself. I had zero interest in the launch games. All I currently care about is Infamous, and that isn't' till March. I just want to have it so if anything interesting is released between now and then, I can play it. So yeah, I'm content being an early adopter, that's why I kept my PS3 and 360.

#6 Edited by da_illest101 (7668 posts) -

Yeah i will never get it either. I never saw a system launching with a must have game, at least for me. The ps4, xbox one or the Wii U for that matter are just lack luster

#7 Posted by SuddenlyTragic (976 posts) -

I completely agree. I have a gaming PC so that will definitely hold me over until sometime next year when I decide to buy one of the consoles. I also played the PS4 a significant amount at a friends house this past weekend and was not impressed. Killzone was the most next-gen for sure since it actually has good graphics, but while playing Assassins Creed I could barely tell the difference between it and the current gen versions. Also got to play Call of Duty, which also looks last gen and not as good as it does on my PC. So yeah, I'll be waiting too. Not impressed by the early offerings for either console although I obviously haven't played the One yet.

#8 Posted by Boddicker (3040 posts) -

Unless you're into racing games I very much agree.

#9 Posted by freedomfreak (42929 posts) -

It's exciting.

#10 Posted by Darthmatt (8966 posts) -

As a PS4 day one guy, I totally agree. Resogun is the most fun I had on the system so far, and that isnt exactly a blockbuster title. But, I am not disappointed. I bought the system with the intention that I will be able to play all the good games that will eventually come out over the next six to seven years. If I want to play games now, I have a PS3 and PC...etc. The only reason I got a PS4 now is because I wanted to.

#11 Posted by Chozofication (3746 posts) -

I don't get it either.

It would make sense for companies to just wait until all the kinks are worked out, then launch, then more people would buy it because that early adopter fear wouldn't be there. And they'd have games worth playing at launch to boot.

#12 Posted by bobbetybob (19297 posts) -

Unless the consoles all blow up within a year and they do some mass recall there's not really any disadvantages either. You'll still be paying the same price this time next year and plenty of people would rather own the game and only play a new game every 3 months than not own it at all for a year. I guess the games will be cheaper next year, that's about the only plus point.

#13 Edited by Riverwolf007 (24187 posts) -

sure most of the time it is not worth it but last gen i was pretty happy out of the gate with cod 2, kameo, pgr 3, condemned and then 3 months later the goty oblivion.

i know you dudes hate 360 and all but you can't fault the great launch it had.

#14 Posted by Planeforger (16191 posts) -

I think of it as being similar to pre-ordering a game, only instead of hoping that your $60 doesn't go to waste, you're hoping that your $500 is well spent.

Well...it's worse than that, because by the time worthwhile games are released for that console, there will be better/cheaper console bundles out, so you're pretty much guaranteed to get a worse deal as an early adopter.

So yeah, it's a bit silly. Still, if you know the console is going to have a great lineup...I've been guilty of day one consoles/handhelds in the past.

#15 Posted by Heil68 (46737 posts) -

In your opinion. Console launches dont happen that often and I wanted to experience buying one day 1. It's been awesome thus far.

#16 Edited by Nightflash28 (2140 posts) -

Why does it have to be a pissing contest?
I'm not buying things to impress other people, I buy things for myself.

And is it not a positive to have early access? If there are games at launch that interest you and have the money to put down, so what?

If you dish out 400-500 bucks now or in 3-6 months when you are intending to buy the console anyway does not matter. The difference is: you already have it, might as well enjoy it.

#17 Edited by Bishop1310 (1198 posts) -

@Riverwolf007 said:

sure most of the time it is not worth it but last gen i was pretty happy out of the gate with cod 2, kameo, pgr 3, condemned and then 3 months later the goty oblivion.

i know you dudes hate 360 and all but you can't fault the great launch it had.

Actually I agree, I was happy with the 360 at launch, but this time around is just so brutal.

@bobbetybob said:

Unless the consoles all blow up within a year and they do some mass recall there's not really any disadvantages either. You'll still be paying the same price this time next year and plenty of people would rather own the game and only play a new game every 3 months than not own it at all for a year. I guess the games will be cheaper next year, that's about the only plus point.

I agree with this as well that come the time the games come out that you want you only have to purchase the game and not the console. Typically launch consoles never last a whole generation so if you wait until the exact time the games you want come out you could in theory get more time with the games you want to play.

#18 Posted by lglz1337 (4086 posts) -

are we acting multiplatform games aint no good ? i wiil have a blast with AC NFS resogun and BF and maybe ghost

#19 Posted by Nick3306 (2632 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

It's exciting.

Exactly this. In my head there is no logical reason for me to buy a ps4 so soon. The games arent very good and I have a gaming PC which is much better than it. But new technology is always exciting to me, and because of that I always have to resist the urge to buy a new console.

#20 Posted by avigeil (715 posts) -

@Bishop1310:

sh*t up Meg!

#21 Posted by joehult (374 posts) -

Because I own one and you don't, suck it.

#22 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (6526 posts) -

I had to resist buying a PS4 right now so hard, but in the end I know I'll be better off getting one around feburary or march. Launch consoles always have at least one or two really stupid problems.

#23 Edited by Zassimick (7072 posts) -

I was excited for the launch and it worked out for me to get it; I don't know if I could say I would be able to get it later on so it made sense to purchase one now.

Besides, it's fun. Killzone is a fun launch title and AC4 is sharp and crisp. Resogun is great, and now I have a bluray/Netflix/huluplus player in my living room and bedroom.

#24 Posted by Spartan070 (16377 posts) -

Tradition for me, I've been doing launch consoles for decades...

#25 Edited by groowagon (2994 posts) -

you might aswell be an early adopter. the price of the console is not going to come down anytime soon. you'll get a lot of games to play very soon even if the launch lineup sucks.

or maybe doesn't suck, but is mediocre at best.

#26 Edited by dommeus (9433 posts) -

@Sophette said:

To be honest, I bought my PS4 as a early birthday present for myself. I had zero interest in the launch games. All I currently care about is Infamous, and that isn't' till March. I just want to have it so if anything interesting is released between now and then, I can play it. So yeah, I'm content being an early adopter, that's why I kept my PS3 and 360.

Happy birthday to you, from you

#27 Posted by rogelio22 (2427 posts) -

Id be having real fun if bf4 was working for me online! Cod ghosts is the same ol crap, killzone sucks and crysis3 on my pc lokes alot better! And im waiting on the 1080p patch for ac4 befote I get into it... so yeah its kinda lackluster but am still glad I have it :D

#28 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6218 posts) -

PC + PS3 all day long

For the next 2-3 years

Wake me when they build a library

#29 Edited by ni6htmare01 (1091 posts) -

Because I will buy a PS4 soon or later for the up coming games like Second Son or anything Naughty Dog make. Also I want to play Assassin Creed 4, so I might as well get a PS4 now to play the Assassin Creed 4

#30 Posted by AMD655 (4494 posts) -

@ZombieKiller7 said:

PC + PS3 all day long

For the next 2-3 years

Wake me when they build a library

Loading Video...

#31 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7817 posts) -

The positive is that you get to play the new system on day 1. I don't understand the people who wait a few months and then get the system. You pay exactly the same price and lose months of gaming.

#32 Posted by SUD123456 (4533 posts) -

Someone has to be the first to buy. Although, I have my PS4 now with nothing to play. And a week from now I'll have my X1 with nothing to play as well. So I acknowledge your point.

#33 Edited by BeardMaster (1686 posts) -

@Spartan070 said:

Tradition for me, I've been doing launch consoles for decades...

Other launch consoles have at least had a fairly large graphical leap to sell me on the system even if the games werent there. This time around there really isnt anything to get me excited about the new consoles, no matter how hard I try. Or in the case of the wii, where there wasnt a significant graphical leap there were at least motion controls that were new and interesting.

Hell at this point the most interesting thing to me is probably playing around with the new kinect and the multitasking abilities of both consoles. But im definitely not buying them for that.

These are by far the most boring launch consoles ever released imo.

#34 Posted by jsmoke03 (13125 posts) -

@Bishop1310 said:

The launch line ups for both these consoles is just brutal. In my opinion the X1 has the better titles, or the ones im interested in anyway, even then, it's a gross line up.

Why MS or Sony don't complete a system and give it to developers internally for a year to produce decent games ill never know...

Can anyone on here actually say they purchased the PS4 for KZ or the X1 for Forza? If those are system sellers and get you guys to spend 400 - 500 bucks on hardware then we as consumers are failing ourselves and the game industry.

Now that reviews are coming in I don't see any positives in owning these things early. You have a high change of getting a broken one, it happens with all electronics. The online services typically never work for a few weeks into launch, hence PSN right now, BF4's PS4 online is a mess and I'm predicting some pretty awful down times for live come the X1 launch.

Besides it being a pissing and d*ck measuring contest with your friends why do any of you buy these consoles early?

if none have piqued your interest, then thats fine, but there are many that are attractive to me and a lot of the early adopters. im certainly happy i got a launch ps4

#35 Edited by AdjacentLives (1173 posts) -

@freedomfreak:

@freedomfreak said:

It's exciting.

If you're an idiot maybe and didn't think it through. the aforementioned reasons in the OP are proof you'll spend more time disappointed then excited.

When I purchase a PS4 a year and a half from now, THEN i'll have reason to be excited.

#36 Posted by SuddenlyTragic (976 posts) -

@ni6htmare01: Assassins Creed 4 is not a reason to buy a next gen console...It looks like a PS3/360 game

#37 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

#38 Posted by freedomfreak (42929 posts) -
@AdjacentLives said:

If you're an idiot maybe and didn't think it through. the aforementioned reasons in the OP are proof you'll spend more time disappointed then excited.

When I purchase a PS4 a year and a half from now, THEN i'll have reason to be excited.

Not really. We've had a very long gen. People want new consoles. They want to experience then next generation in console gaming. It is exciting. It's the system you're gonna be playing on for the coming years.

A weak launch and general messiness of the UI or service is normal. It happens with every launch. The people that buy it at launch know this. They simply don't care.

#39 Edited by granddogg (437 posts) -

well i got mine because i wanted it period i dont anyone to care why i got it..

#40 Posted by granddogg (437 posts) -

well i got mine because i wanted it period i dont need anyone to care why i got it..

#41 Posted by Joedgabe (5132 posts) -

Without early adopters = / = Later adopters.

#42 Edited by madsnakehhh (14933 posts) -

I remember getting a Wii at launch day, and yeah, it was pretty lackluster, luckly Wii Sports was really fun for a few weeks and then i got Zelda TP so i was covered for a few months, but for now, both the X1 and the PS4 don't have anything interesting, so i have to agree on this one.

#43 Posted by lonewolf604 (8537 posts) -

I agree, but usually the multiplats keep me entertained. When I buy a PS4 in about a month, I'm pretty much just getting Battlefield 4 until more games come out.

#44 Edited by Seabas989 (10903 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

The positive is that you get to play the new system on day 1. I don't understand the people who wait a few months and then get the system. You pay exactly the same price and lose months of gaming.

Not when the first couple months are meh. Really the only launch game I care for is DR3 and I'm not gonna shell out 400+ for a new console. Especially since it lacks BC and if there are hardware problems.

Meanwhile I bought a 3DS a year and a half later and I'm glad I waited.

I'll wait till next year's E3 then maybe I'll get a PS4.

#45 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

It's worth it to me. I've had more fun playing through the couple of games I've played so far than I have in awhile.

Just the excitement for new hardware and the awes inspired by the increased graphics.

Plus the sharing stuff is legit. I love it.

I knew I wasn't jumping into a huge library of games with launch hardware, but that's ok.

I already have too many games. I don't really need a lot more games right now.

#46 Posted by Wasdie (50580 posts) -

The positive is that on Friday I sat and played a Playstation 4 and enjoyed games that can't be played on any other platform while they are brand new.

#47 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

@SuddenlyTragic said:

@ni6htmare01: Assassins Creed 4 is not a reason to buy a next gen console...It looks like a PS3/360 game

AC4 actually looks pretty damn good on PS4.

#48 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9467 posts) -
@Wasdie said:

The positive is that on Friday I sat and played a Playstation 4 and enjoyed games that can't be played on any other platform while they are brand new.

Agreed. Felt like Christmas.

#49 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

The positive is that you get to play the new system on day 1. I don't understand the people who wait a few months and then get the system. You pay exactly the same price and lose months of gaming.

If you buy it new then your right. However I picked up my PS3 when MGS4 came out for less than what it was new with 4 games and extra controller on criglist.

#50 Edited by Bishop1310 (1198 posts) -

@granddogg said:

well i got mine because i wanted it period i dont need anyone to care why i got it..

dat edge.