How bad is it that a indie game is your best exclusive?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by pinkforhire (41 posts) -

Resogun is hands down the best game for PS4 after knack and KZ face planted..

#2 Edited by Comduter (2155 posts) -

Not bad at all actually.

#3 Posted by lawlessx (46576 posts) -

....that's a good thing..for the indie developers anyway

#4 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10401 posts) -

Was it embarrassing when an indie won Game of the Year last year?

#5 Edited by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

If anything, it should pave the way for indie developed titles to earn more recognition in this community/industry.

#6 Posted by TheEroica (13339 posts) -

Cant stop playing resogun..... It's the definition of why indie is crushing all... Proven aggressive precision gameplay with next gen flair... Heaven.

#7 Posted by Bigboi500 (29404 posts) -

How bad is it that you think review scores = a game's worth?

#8 Posted by blangenakker (2248 posts) -

What's wrong with having a good game?

#9 Posted by sailor232 (4472 posts) -

There's a lot of great Indie games out, I personally think it's great that a game that would have a much smaller investment put into it can be rated a better game than one with a fortune spent on it. As development costs rise, I can see a lot of mergers or companies going bankrupt with failed projects, we need the indies to keep reminding us that great games can be made on a budget.

#10 Posted by FinalFighters (1402 posts) -

Whats wrong with indie games?

Oh you must be a bro gamer that only play's COD.

#11 Posted by Joedgabe (5110 posts) -

How bad is it that you think review scores = a game's worth?

People that usually bring up a game's scores usually have 0 experience with the game.

#12 Edited by uninspiredcup (7986 posts) -

I'm confused, why is an indie game being really good (better) than "AAA" games bad or somehow surprising? Indie gaming has been better for the last few years sonny.

#13 Posted by McStrongfast (4265 posts) -

Resogun is hands down the best game for PS4

Ok?

#14 Edited by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

Best games this generation have been indie games.

#15 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

May as well buy an Ouya instead.

#16 Posted by jg4xchamp (47536 posts) -

Indie games have been outclassing their triple A counterparts for the better part of the gen in recent years. So this is not even remotely surprising that a indie game is better than a by the numbers FPS series and what looks like a basic/simplistc brawler made by a dude who really hasn't done anything meaningful in over a decade.

#17 Posted by Ross_the_Boss6 (2544 posts) -

What's the second game pictured?

#18 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

@iHarlequin said:

That is Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

#19 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Not bad at all. Nothing wrong with indie games. Only people that think something is wrong with indie games are insecure man children.

#20 Edited by Chutebox (36754 posts) -

Looking forward to next week

#21 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

@iHarlequin said:

whats the third game?

#22 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

@iHarlequin said:

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

@iHarlequin said:

whats the third game?

I edited my post and put some more, do you mean Spelunky?

#23 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

@kingoflife9 said:

@iHarlequin said:

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

@iHarlequin said:

whats the third game?

Looks like it, anyways indies aren't a bad thing because most game companies started out as indies. And indies bring new gameplay ideas, but for launch you need a huge must have game and killzone isn't it.

#24 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

@iHarlequin said:

@kingoflife9 said:

@iHarlequin said:

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

@iHarlequin said:

whats the third game?

Looks like it, anyways indies aren't a bad thing because most game companies started out as indies. And indies bring new gameplay ideas, but for launch you need a huge must have game and killzone isn't it.

True, I guess. It's just that I play mostly on the PC, and all consoles I have I got one or two years into the generation, so the whole 'launch' mindset just isn't something I have. It's definitely something you'll never feel as a PC gamer.

#25 Edited by cfisher2833 (1597 posts) -

I don't see how it's a bad thing. Everyone with half a brain could tell the vast majority of the PS4s launch titles were generic trash. Resogun was the only remotely interesting game of the bunch.

#26 Posted by McStrongfast (4265 posts) -

@iHarlequin said:

@kingoflife9 said:

@iHarlequin said:

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

@iHarlequin said:

whats the third game?

I hear you. Shame Dadliest Catch and Hohokum didn't make it for launch.

#27 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13998 posts) -

Dust: An Elysian Tail is my favorite Indie game of this generation.

It's like a Metroidvania.

#28 Posted by Zassimick (6373 posts) -

Resogun is great fun. That along with Killzone: Shadow Fall and Assassin's Creed have given my PS4 a lot of playtime already. Very much enjoying the system.

#29 Edited by cfisher2833 (1597 posts) -

Because people are asking, the games from top to bottom are:

Limbo

Legend of Grimrock

Binding of Isaac

The Teleporter

Bastion

Guacamelee

Braid

Brother: A Tale of Two Sons

Spelunky

Fez

Journey

#30 Posted by Merex760 (4286 posts) -

Indie games have been providing superior gameplay experiences for a while. AAA games try too hard to be movies.

#32 Posted by Minishdriveby (9779 posts) -

Ummmm..... You forgot these....

Hotline Miami (How could you not include the best indie game this generation?)
Botanicula
Antichamber
Castle Crashers

Also Journey isn't an indie game.

#33 Posted by trasherhead (3058 posts) -

Why is "Indie Game" such a dirty word her on SW?

#34 Posted by CleanPlayer (9790 posts) -

Once upon a time from a place far far away, the 360 launched with Geometry Wars

#35 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

@Minishdriveby: I forgot none (and I disagree that Hotline Miami is the best indie game this generation, even though I think it's absolutely fantastic. My prize still goes to Braid), but if I were to add every single indie game I think is worthwhile of mention I'd have to include a dozen of Arcen's games, Aquaria, La-Mulana, Cave Story, Torchlight, Don't Starve, FTL, Dust, Monaco, Jamestown, Valdis Story, Starseed Pilgrim and, literally, dozens more.

And Journey is an indie game per definition - it being published by Sony doesn't change the fact that the company that developed it is a small American team of less than ten people.

#36 Edited by Minishdriveby (9779 posts) -

@Minishdriveby: I forgot none (and I disagree that Hotline Miami is the best indie game this generation, even though I think it's absolutely fantastic. My prize still goes to Braid), but if I were to add every single indie game I think is worthwhile of mention I'd have to include a dozen of Arcen's games, Aquaria, La-Mulana, Cave Story, Torchlight, Don't Starve, FTL, Dust, Monaco, Jamestown, Valdis Story, Starseed Pilgrim and, literally, dozens more.

And Journey is an indie game per definition - it being published by Sony doesn't change the fact that the company that developed it is a small American team of less than ten people.

Journey was made with help from Sony Santa Monica and Thatgamecompany signed a contract with Sony (sony was paying them) to make it. It might be an independent project if you get published after you make your game, but if your publisher has in house studios working with you and you have a contract with them and they are paying you, well, I don't think that's an independent endeavour.

#37 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

@iHarlequin said:

Journey was made with help from Sony Santa Monica and Thatgamecompany signed a contract with Sony (sony was paying them) to make it. It might be an independent project if you get published after you make your game, but if your publisher has in house studios working with you and you have a contract with them and they are paying you, well, I don't think that's an independent endeavour.

That doesn't really matter, as it's not up for debate. It's a definition, not an opinion. FEZ, Super Meat Boy and Monaco had financial backing from Microsoft, their publisher (at least on the 360), and they still are independent games because they were developed by small teams.

#38 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6191 posts) -

GreatMess awaits............................If you like rehashed indie games like REsoGun (Defender part II). Hey but start hyping the next wave of games. They will fall on their face like the launch games.

#39 Posted by nervmeister (15206 posts) -

If you have a problem with that, then I have one thing to say to you......

#40 Posted by demi0227_basic (886 posts) -

I agree with most users on here. I've been playing a lot of indie games lately, and I have to say they rock. Big budget titles don't ever bring anything new anymore...these Indie games are an inspiration to the industry in how games can be put together and be fun and original. CoD 16 is still going to be CoD, just like Asscreed 12 (Not that those are bad series) will be pretty much the same. It's nice these things change it up.

#41 Posted by FragTycoon (6430 posts) -

Why do Lems pretend they don't like indie games when Minecraft is 360's biggest game right now.

#42 Posted by Minishdriveby (9779 posts) -

@Minishdriveby said:

@iHarlequin said:

That doesn't really matter, as it's not up for debate. It's a definition, not an opinion. FEZ, Super Meat Boy and Monaco had financial backing from Microsoft, their publisher (at least on the 360), and they still are independent games because they were developed by small teams.

So the only requirement for an indie game is a small development team?

#43 Edited by MajesticShea (695 posts) -
#44 Edited by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

@iHarlequin said:

@Minishdriveby said:

@iHarlequin said:

So the only requirement for an indie game is a small development team?

No. It's not something as set as I made it out to be, but Indie games are usually those where the team is sufficiently small that those who create the project (as in, establish what the game will be in terms of design, mechanics and story) are also the ones who do the 'grunt' work (design and programming, for the most part). I'd say that, in addition to that, an indie game has to be developed following -only- the developer's guidance, without influence from the publisher.

#45 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3504 posts) -

What's wrong with indie games?

#46 Posted by Bruin1986 (1240 posts) -

Does it really matter if it's a download game?

The two best looking launch titles for Xbox are Forza and Killer Instinct...one of which is a download title.

#47 Posted by clone01 (24564 posts) -

Why would that be bad? One of my favorite games this gen was telltale's "Walking Dead." Maybe you should broaden your horizons more.

#48 Posted by TruthArisen (385 posts) -

Wonder Woman responds.

"Journey destroyed everyone last year. Stay envious."

#49 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

Wasn't Journey GOTY last year?

#50 Posted by Slimmin360 (1463 posts) -

How did Killzone face plant???? with the exception of Gamespot, Killzone is receiving 8 out of 10 or better everywhere else?....but yes Resogun is also a great game.