Honestly, Who Here Would Really Care About High Deffinition...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 septicvirus
Member since 2007 • 967 Posts

Movies if Sony hadn't included a Blu-Ray drive in the PS3?

If they had just made it an add-on, the PS3 could've been out sooner, the race would be closer, less people would have bought a Blu-Ray add-on, and we would argue about games rather than the high price being justified by the Blu-Ray player.

Honestly, who here would really care about Blu-ray if it were just an add-on? I know I would've bought a PS3 over a 360

Blu-Ray movies are too expensive. Plus I don't really buy dvd's anyway - I rent. So for me the Blu-ray player was not a positive but rather a negative.It caused the machine to be higher priced by giving me a feature that I am not interested in.

OldParr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 OldParr
Member since 2006 • 2996 Posts
well i like the fact that we are moving on with technology.and since gears i want evrything in HD
Bazfrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bazfrag
Member since 2004 • 2217 Posts
More importantly theres not a lot of difference between blu-ray quality and upscaled dvd's on xbox. The difference does not justify the price imo
BigDaddyPOLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BigDaddyPOLO
Member since 2005 • 2251 Posts
It would cost half as much, I'd love it, and I'd probably end up being a manticore because everything would be affordable. :(
l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 l_The_DetoX_l
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts
It's good to know that the PS3 is set for the future in the industry. And it's good to know that I don't have to get one until I'm set.
ngoniko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ngoniko
Member since 2007 • 782 Posts

More importantly theres not a lot of difference between blu-ray quality and upscaled dvd's on xbox. The difference does not justify the price imoBazfrag

to me it does. its all about preference and how you see things.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
If it were an addon it would be useless, look at the option MS gave with the core no HD and the premium HD, now you can´t have games that are built with an HD in mind because not all 360´s have HD, I do believe blu ray will give us some really good content packed games this gen, there will be no doubt many very good games that wouldn´t have been made the same way if blu ray wasn´t standard. It was the right choice, remember think ahead, this is a marathon not a sprint, multimilion dollar companies don´t only think of the next yeat they plan the "base" of the consoles entire lifspan.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

Once you go HD, you can never back.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

More importantly theres not a lot of difference between blu-ray quality and upscaled dvd's on xbox. The difference does not justify the price imoBazfrag

What kind of TV do you have? I see a major differents between Blu-Ray and Up-Scale DVD :O

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

It would cost half as much, I'd love it, and I'd probably end up being a manticore because everything would be affordable. :(BigDaddyPOLO

Right- the Blu-Ray diode was originally $125 to produce...it SURELY would be half the cost. :roll:

septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 septicvirus

If it were an addon it would be useless, look at the option MS gave with the core no HD and the premium HD, now you can´t have games that are built with an HD in mind because not all 360´s have HD, I do believe blu ray will give us some really good content packed games this gen, there will be no doubt many very good games that wouldn´t have been made the same way if blu ray wasn´t standard. It was the right choice, remember think ahead, this is a marathon not a sprint, multimilion dollar companies don´t only think of the next yeat they plan the "base" of the consoles entire lifspan. Eddie-Vedder

You forget that every exclusive game has yet to use any additional space provided by Blu-Ray. Don't give me that - "Well Resistance took 14 gigs and Motorstorm took 15 gigs crap"

mceleste11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mceleste11
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts

Verge_6

What he said.

I love playing my 360 on my Sony 60inch HD TV

Avatar image for FrenziedRaldo24
FrenziedRaldo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FrenziedRaldo24
Member since 2005 • 9054 Posts

septicvirus

It's the same thing with the 360; dozens of lemmings support HD-DVD simply because MS is backing it.

Me? I don't care about either format.

hip-hop-cola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hip-hop-cola
Member since 2007 • 558 Posts

when i realised my ps2 had a dvd player ( i was young) i couldn't believe it and was so happy. i dont want to pay a larger amount for an addon when i can have a smaller better player inside the console...

i also think blueray will be a positive thing for games in this gen....which many dont

septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 septicvirus

Verge_6

Yeah, theproblem is - I can't walk into Blockbuster and rent any dvd's I want in Blu-Ray.

Sony has FORCED all PS3 owners to be early adopters of the next movie format.

This, in itself, places limits on us. :shock:

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]If it were an addon it would be useless, look at the option MS gave with the core no HD and the premium HD, now you can´t have games that are built with an HD in mind because not all 360´s have HD, I do believe blu ray will give us some really good content packed games this gen, there will be no doubt many very good games that wouldn´t have been made the same way if blu ray wasn´t standard. It was the right choice, remember think ahead, this is a marathon not a sprint, multimilion dollar companies don´t only think of the next yeat they plan the "base" of the consoles entire lifspan. septicvirus

You forget that every exclusive game has yet to use any additional space provided by Blu-Ray. Don't give me that - "Well Resistance took 14 gigs and Motorstorm took 15 gigs crap"

SO no game will take advantage of blu ray on the ps3 in it´s entire lifespan? Who are you trying to kid? There are already rumours of MGS4 and KZ2 taking up 50g. It will happen, I don´t see how you think it won´t.

Hermitkermit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#17 Hermitkermit
Member since 2005 • 1880 Posts
HD gaming has it's grasp on me....I can't go back to SDTV!!! Although, most of my old xbox games are in SDTV. *Gets choked by HD master*
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts
somone nees to take off the fanboy goggles off. because HD DVD and BLu ray quality >>>>>>upscale dvds. especially if both HD formats use VC-1
l_The_DetoX_l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 l_The_DetoX_l
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

[QUOTE="BigDaddyPOLO"]It would cost half as much, I'd love it, and I'd probably end up being a manticore because everything would be affordable. :(Vampyronight

Right- the Blu-Ray diode was originally $125 to produce...it SURELY would be half the cost. :roll:

Why are you fumbling production costs and actual selling costs together?

septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 septicvirus

HD gaming has it's grasp on me....I can't go back to SDTV!!! Although, most of my old xbox games are in SDTV. *Gets choked by HD master*Hermitkermit

***News Flash*** You can have HD gaming with out Blu-Ray

read the post next time

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

it would be cheaper and easyier for people to afford one but the advantages that format will have will start to show soon enough.......well maybe not ,so far all its leading to is lazyness so they dont have to compress anything.

they just need a way of making them cheaper.

alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 alfy13

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]If it were an addon it would be useless, look at the option MS gave with the core no HD and the premium HD, now you can´t have games that are built with an HD in mind because not all 360´s have HD, I do believe blu ray will give us some really good content packed games this gen, there will be no doubt many very good games that wouldn´t have been made the same way if blu ray wasn´t standard. It was the right choice, remember think ahead, this is a marathon not a sprint, multimilion dollar companies don´t only think of the next yeat they plan the "base" of the consoles entire lifspan. septicvirus

well obvlion came with Knights of Nine for free for the ps3, rainbow 6 for the ps3 will have addiontal content, stranglehold for the ps3 will come with a movie on one disc if you buy the CE version. /shrug
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

If Blu-ray didn't exist I would have an HD DVD player.

I care because I bought a TV that uses it and I want my movies to look just as good.

y2kzorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 y2kzorak
Member since 2006 • 381 Posts

I could care less, as geeky as I am. This is like Beta/VHS all over again. Until there is a CLEAR victor, I'm just going to watch normal DVDs on a 1080i (which I have) or 1080p (which I'm thinking about getting) upscaling player. Heck, I don't even have an HDTV yet.

Besides, I care more about content than resolution, and thus far no Blu-Ray or HD-DVD version ofa movie has really offered more unique content (commentaries, extra documentaries) than their DVD counterparts, despite having all that extra space (which is sadly wasted on a few extra channels and extra resolution).

alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 alfy13

If Blu-ray didn't exist I would have an HD DVD player.

I care because I bought a TV that uses it and I want my movies to look just as good.

Bread_or_Decide
amen brotha. i couldnt imagine watching a upscale dvd movie after watching a blu ray moving on my 40inc lcd screen.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#26 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Now being an owner of a 1080p HDTV, I can say the transition is staggering. Makes playing any last gen console rather difficult to do any longer.

People who hate on HD are just people who don't have one... seriously.

I did...

Avatar image for SpecialForcesOp
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SpecialForcesOp
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

I've stopped caring about movies after I've seen all the good ones.

And pretty soon I'm prolly gonna stop caring about games. prolly after this gen/

Bdking57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bdking57
Member since 2005 • 1320 Posts

wow you are extremely wrong.... however star wars does looks great upscaled. In my case, I use HD DVD on xbox and even movies like enter the dragon look brand new. Martrix in HD is just ridiculous.... Standar definition hurts my eyes so much now.... I find it just as bad as watching a black and white movie now from the 1950s.

[QUOTE="Bazfrag"]More importantly theres not a lot of difference between blu-ray quality and upscaled dvd's on xbox. The difference does not justify the price imoni6htmare01

What kind of TV do you have? I see a major differents between Blu-Ray and Up-Scale DVD :O

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts
More importantly theres not a lot of difference between blu-ray quality and upscaled dvd's on xbox. Bazfrag

Where did you ever see a Blu-ray disc played? Let me guess... "your friend's house". :roll:
springz300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 springz300
Member since 2004 • 2050 Posts
Well since HD is standard, and we dont normally remain STAGNANT in technology, of course we want HD.
septicvirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 septicvirus
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

septicvirus

Yeah, theproblem is - I can't walk into Blockbuster and rent any dvd's I want in Blu-Ray.

Sony has FORCED all PS3 owners to be early adopters of the next movie format.

This, in itself, places limits on us. :shock:

This post is about HD MOVIES not gaming. -- and the fact that now people associate them as if they are inseparable.

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I guess it just really depends if you have a hdtv that will support hd resolutions. I'm not sure, but I think the majority still don't have hdtv in every house hold. We're slowly getting there as hdtv prices goes down. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is the future, so was Beta-Max, so yeah.

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

If they had just made it an add-on, the PS3 could've been out sooner, the race would be closer, less people would have bought a Blu-Ray add-on, and we would argue about games rather than the high price being justified by the Blu-Ray player.

Honestly, who here would really care about Blu-ray if it were just an add-on? I know I would've bought a PS3 over a 360

Blu-Ray movies are too expensive. Plus I don't really buy dvd's anyway - I rent. So for me the Blu-ray player was not a positive but rather a negative.It caused the machine to be higher priced by giving me a feature that I am not interested in.

septicvirus

It's called Netflix. Watching all the Blu Ray movies I want costs no more than watching all the DVDs I could ever want. My PS3 doesn't care, it displays both of them in 720p.

whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts
After spending $800 for a HDTV of course I really care about HD, But I still perfer to buy DVD's because they are cheaper and i'm already upscaling them to 1080i through HDMI, Which looks and sounds great btw :D. Once Blu-Ray prices go down I will jump aboard but until then im happy with DVD's.
RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts
I still don't care. Heck, I virtually skipped the whole DVD era as well. I don't care about most movies, and the stuff I tend to watch are *cartoons*, and last I checked animated stuff doesn't have to gain from HD. The movies I do see I see in theaters, but I don't ever have the urge to watch them again and again, or more than a few times. I see some old movies on TV now and then, but most of the time it's background noise.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

After spending $800 for a HDTV of course I really care about HD, But I still perfer to buy DVD's because they are cheaper and i'm already upscaling them to 1080i through HDMI, Which looks and sounds great btw :D. Once Blu-Ray prices go down I will jump aboard but until then im happy with DVD's. whitetiger3521

Seeing as I've compared the two, Blu Ray movies destroy upscaled DVDs. There is no comparison.