Honestly, am I wrong ... ?

Edited 3 months, 4 days ago

Poll: Honestly, am I wrong ... ? (27 votes)

Yes, you are wrong. You are very stuck-up, so you should get over this little problem. 67%
No, you are not wrong. Your issue is understandable, and "I" would probably do the same. 7%
"I" have no yes or no answer, but texture pop-in is very annoying, for sure.... 26%

About 8 months ago, my Xbox 360 started having some hardware problems. Started having major pop-in across all games, framerate drops, slower loading times, more frequent freezes and crashes.

To remedy this, I decided to buy a PS3. Why? For one, I could finally escape the bullshit texture pop-in that I cannot tolerate even a little bit. Secondly, as a bonus, I would have access to all the PS3 exclusives. I got a pre-owned PS3.

So, here is the result.

I have completed Mass Effect, and I am currently playing Mass Effect 2 and The Last Of Us.

There is ever-present pop-in. Rampant. Arguably worse than what was on the Xbox 360. It started small, and is now very noticeable. It's impossible to not see. It's especially bad on TLOU, but it will soon get bad on ME2, because it is already starting to show a bit there.

So.....I see it as pointless. If I got a new system specifically to escape the hardware problems of the old system, yet the new system has the same hardware problems as the old one, then it was pretty much pointless....right?

I am considering trying to buy one that is new, rather than pre-owned (yes, they exist still.). But...I feel somewhat bad for that. Now, answer the question in the poll, if you would.

#1 Posted by clyde46 (43437 posts) -

Aside from Sony exclusives and GTA5, the PS3 always suffered more when it comes to pop-in and other performance related issues.

#2 Posted by Blabadon (25177 posts) -

Bad luck

#3 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (10888 posts) -

You should think of investing in a PC if it bothers you that much.

#4 Posted by Kevlar101 (5971 posts) -

I'm not sure if you understand.

This is a hardware fault, not a DESIGN flaw.

#5 Posted by blackace (19697 posts) -

Or go back and play cartridge console games. lol!!

#6 Posted by lostrib (31417 posts) -

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

...and you know this how?

#7 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8498 posts) -

I don't like any of the Poll Options.

Anyway, texture only bothers me if it affects the gameplay. the Texture Pop in Midnight Club Los Angeles and LA Noire was so damn annoying. Ever had had an entire tram appear right in front of you at 150 miles an hour ? Its not fun.

GTA does it too. Lol, basicly any rockstar game. Haha.

#8 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3217 posts) -

Yes, the games have texture pop-in. Didn't you already make a thread on this?

#9 Posted by Couth_ (9915 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

...and you know this how?

It seems like it because it starts off okay but then gets worse. I always noticed some pop in in most console games but it was never as rampant as OP describes and it never got worse as the game went on. Sounds like OP is playing in a microwave and frying his GPU as he plays..

Solution is still buy a PC though

#10 Posted by Heil68 (42552 posts) -

Well you got to play PS3 exclusives and in and of itself, that's a blessing.

#11 Posted by clyde46 (43437 posts) -

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

If its hardware, then you need faster hardware which means get a PC.

#12 Posted by Kevlar101 (5971 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

No. It means that something has "broke" in the system.

#13 Posted by clyde46 (43437 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

No, its not broke. the 7th gen machines had terrible pop-in issues. Its a hardware flaw....

#14 Posted by SolidGame_basic (15997 posts) -

get it for PC

#15 Posted by Kevlar101 (5971 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@clyde46 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

No, its not broke. the 7th gen machines had terrible pop-in issues. Its a hardware flaw....

It came on gradually. Don't you get it? My Xbox 360 was perfectly fine for 4 years, and only after that did the problems start.

#16 Posted by clyde46 (43437 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@clyde46 said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

It came on gradually. Don't you get it? My Xbox 360 was perfectly fine for 4 years, and only after that did the problems start.

I get it and it happened to me, the only solution is to either buy a next gen machine or a PC.

#17 Posted by MBirdy88 (7121 posts) -

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

... how is pop in a hardware fault? its a hardware limitation... not a fault... which both consoles suffered from greatly.

#18 Posted by NVIDIAking (34 posts) -
#19 Edited by wis3boi (30873 posts) -

I think you expect too much from a box that's designed to be a wannabe PC, especially ones nearing a decade old

#20 Posted by stuff238 (610 posts) -

Play games with less pop in? That's like blaming the console because you chose to play a bethesda or GTA game.

#21 Posted by inb4uall (5096 posts) -

Obviously TC need to take better care of his shit.

#22 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (981 posts) -

ps3 had more pop in than the 360, 90% multi plats ran better on 360, GTA5 and a few others looked better on ps3.

#23 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6115 posts) -

So you have major technical problems on 360 games, and you thought getting a PS3 and the same games again, you wouldn't have the same problems on that platform?

That was really dumb.

#24 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9254 posts) -

I dont remember TLoU having pop problems...

Dont remember the reviewers mentioning it either....

#25 Posted by naz99 (984 posts) -

Oh my god....I don't even....

#26 Edited by CrownKingArthur (3666 posts) -

pop in exists on ps360

the problem may exacerbate as the machine ages

buying a whole new machine just to eliminate pop in? well, its your money, but i wouldn't be doing that. what if you get a 'lemon'? (just faulty enough for them to say 'no fault found' under warranty)

#27 Posted by navyguy21 (12684 posts) -

How can you buy a modern console and NOT expect pop in?

Only consoles ive owned that never had pop in was NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64.

Guess what they all have in common?

#28 Posted by GreySeal9 (23921 posts) -

So you have major technical problems on 360 games, and you thought getting a PS3 and the same games again, you wouldn't have the same problems on that platform?

That was really dumb.

#29 Posted by Cloud_imperium (1749 posts) -
#30 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3468 posts) -
#31 Posted by Gue1 (9083 posts) -

you were crazy enough to buy a used console, tc? Do you realize that most people that sell their consoles it's because they have some sort of issue? In fact, Gamestop even buys broken (ylod, rrod, etc.) consoles to then have them "repaired" (not by Sony BTW) to sell em again.

Buying a used console is easily one of the worsts investments that you could possibly do.

#32 Posted by IgGy621985 (4555 posts) -

Owned 360, never had any hardware issues.

#33 Edited by delta3074 (17587 posts) -

ps3 had more pop in than the 360, 90% multi plats ran better on 360, GTA5 and a few others looked better on ps3.

BS, it's actually only around 65%, although i agree that the Ps3 had more pop because you cannot install and run the games from the HDD like you can on the 360

#34 Posted by cainetao11 (15780 posts) -

It happens. Never has it made any game I played on either PS3 or 360, unplayable. If its as you say getting worse, get a new console, or better yet a PC.

#35 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (981 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

BS, it's actually only around 65%, although i agree that the Ps3 had more pop because you cannot install and run the games from the HDD like you can on the 360

I had both consoles, 9 times out of 10 multi plats looked and played way better on the 360, at least the ones that mattered, my favorite games of last gen red dead redemption was better on the 360

#36 Posted by foxhound_fox (86812 posts) -

You thought the pop-in and texture problems were from hardware problems? If it was off-warranty, why not open it up and clean it if this was the case?

Most UE3 games on both the 360 and PS3 were known for texture pop-in. It was part of how the engine worked. Buying a PS3 wouldn't solve the issue. Buying a more-then-capable PC would however.

#37 Posted by Kevlar101 (5971 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

you were crazy enough to buy a used console, tc? Do you realize that most people that sell their consoles it's because they have some sort of issue? In fact, Gamestop even buys broken (ylod, rrod, etc.) consoles to then have them "repaired" (not by Sony BTW) to sell em again.

Buying a used console is easily one of the worsts investments that you could possibly do.

It was actually a gift. I had no control over whether it was used or new. I would have preferred if it was new.

#38 Edited by stationplay_4 (442 posts) -

i never had any problems with pop-in on my ps3 and it's one of the old fat ones.

#39 Posted by darkangel115 (1362 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

I had both consoles, 9 times out of 10 multi plats looked and played way better on the 360, at least the ones that mattered, my favorite games of last gen red dead redemption was better on the 360

this^

games mostly just didn't run well on the PS3. Even late 1st party entries like TLOU had its fair share of issues running. Most of it was just due to lack of RAM. the PS3 only have 256MB for games. It just wasn't enough

#40 Posted by darkangel115 (1362 posts) -

Oh it did, it had quite a few glitches, but for some reason every reviewer ignored them.

#41 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (981 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@delta3074 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

this^

games mostly just didn't run well on the PS3. Even late 1st party entries like TLOU had its fair share of issues running. Most of it was just due to lack of RAM. the PS3 only have 256MB for games. It just wasn't enough

yupppppp, 256mb of ram is horrible i'm surprised games looked as good as they did.

#42 Posted by Krelian-co (9932 posts) -

correct answer, vsync is a taxing feature in terms of hardware that will often get sacrificed on consoles, pc ftw-

#43 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (4991 posts) -

Didn't read but the answer to whatever it is, is get a PS4.

#44 Posted by magicalclick (22214 posts) -

The pop-in is just loading data slower. If you have X360, just get a new HDD and install the game. I wouldn't consider pop-in related to CPU/GPU/RAM, they are vastly faster than the slow HDD, or slower DVD on Xbox360, or the slowest BR drive on PS3. If you are not lagging, then, it is not CPU/GPU/RAM. If those have problem, you either crash/crazy weird rendering like you are in wonderland/extremely laggy. Which is not what you experienced, so, it is your HDD/DVD/BR which only serves data slowly.

#45 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9254 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

Oh it did, it had quite a few glitches, but for some reason every reviewer ignored them.

i never ran into any glitches........

#46 Posted by lostrib (31417 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:
@Nengo_Flow said:

i never ran into any glitches........

are we ignoring AI glitches?

#47 Posted by MWright469 (149 posts) -

I think god is punishing you and your games for giving so much of a fuck.