Honest view on Xbone bumpers (NHL-related)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Honestly I thought I'd never complain about Xbone bumpers like many others used to in the past, but recently I tried playing NHL 15, and with this frantic action going on that requires split-second reactions in order to outplay CPU, I found myself frequently being unable to throw myself on the ice to block the shot with my body with LB+RB together, mainly because of the bumper surface. It's not a problem in most games, but in situations in which you must press some other button simultaneously with RB or hold some other button and press RB or hold RB itself, then you sometimes can come across some problems, and when you place your fingers on the edges that are usable, then you will get a finger strain.

Anyone agrees?

Otherwise it is an awesome controller and I love the new thumbstick design along with impulse triggers (which work marvelously in Forza Horizon 2 for example).

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

If only it were possible to transplant the Wii U Pro bumpers over.

Unfortunate.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

bu-bu-bu u just holding it wrong!!! i told idiot lems the bumpers are garbage but apparently i dont know how to hold a controller. i also find the sticks too lose, they are like ps3 stick in terms of friction, something lems hated last gen but love this gen. x360 controller is still king even with the shit dpad

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Before the system was even released, i was already saying this after trying the bone at a show. I bet it was designed by people with dinosaur hands.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Nice try, it has bigger problems.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The bumpers were always my biggest complaint aside from the disgustingly awful d-pad on the original 360 gamepad. I haven't used the Xbone one (in a game) yet, so I can't comment. They are just entirely unergonomic and one of the only things the Dualshock 3 controller gets right (d-pad as well, but poor placement).

There is no "perfect" gamepad, and it's getting tiring to see console manufacturers unable to get even remotely close despite so many iterations.

This complaint you, TC, raise, is just a problem of control layout, not the inherent design of the controller. It was a bad choice of buttons.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Honestly I thought I'd never complain about Xbone bumpers like many others used to in the past, but recently I tried playing NHL 15, and with this frantic action going on that requires split-second reactions in order to outplay CPU, I found myself frequently being unable to throw myself on the ice to block the shot with my body with LB+RB together, mainly because of the bumper surface. It's not a problem in most games, but in situations in which you must press some other button simultaneously with RB or hold some other button and press RB or hold RB itself, then you sometimes can come across some problems, and when you place your fingers on the edges that are usable, then you will get a finger strain.

Anyone agrees?

Otherwise it is an awesome controller and I love the new thumbstick design along with impulse triggers (which work marvelously in Forza Horizon 2 for example).

The Xbone bumpers are not my favorite.

People (and especially trolls) will tell you how to play and hold the controller (because according to them, you are DOING IT WRONG!!!!), but it doesn't change the feeling that the 360 bumpers were much better.

That's the bottom line, the 360 bumpers were ace and the Xbone bumpers are not. You can adjust, but after you accept the reality.

The Xbone Dpad while slightly improved over the 360 is still problematic for tight 2D games/fighting games as well.

---

EDIT: I have giant hands as I'm a tall man.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

Wii U Pro is the best current gen console controller.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Anyone agrees?

People (and especially trolls) will tell you how to play and hold the controller (because according to them, you are DOING IT WRONG!!!!), but it doesn't change the feeling that the 360 bumpers were much better.

That's the bottom line, the 360 bumpers were ace and the Xbone bumpers are not. You can adjust, but after you accept the reality.

The Xbone Dpad while slightly improved over the 360 is still problematic for tight 2D games/fighting games as well.

Yeah, I've played some Killer Instinct and it took some time to get used to with the d-pad, but I guess this could be overcome.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Havent had that issue myself.

Booted up the 360 the other day for the first time in ages to play some GTAV and damn the difference in controllers is like night and day. Found it too hard to go back, I'll just wait for the XOne GTAV.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

that games crap anyway

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I would blame the shitty game not the bumpers.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22632 Posts

Ive only held the controller a handfull of times, but the bumpers are a glaring flaw to me. I didnt see the need to switch from the original mechanism they were using. these feel like a really soft-click with little feeling in them. Wasn't a fan...

Ergonomically though, the Xbox design is better than Sony's, including the Dual Shock 4. To me anyway.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

No complaints here. Then again it is me talking about my beloved Xbox One.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

@inb4uall said:

Pretty much.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

Despite the bumpers, the x1 controller is the best.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@SolidTy: no way man you are completely wrong! X1's bumpers are perfect and you actually only have to bump them. You can easily go from pulling the trigger barley move your finger up and bump the bumpers with your finger up and in from the bottom of the bumper button where it meets the trigger. It's just a better motion than moving your finger to the bumper and pressing it down on top of the controller

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I attribute it to my large hands, but I haven't ever had a problem with them per say -- I've had to learn how to press them in a certain way but it's never been that big of a deal.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@OreoMilkshake said:

@inb4uall said:

Pretty much.

Lon battery life. Comfortable. Great buttons. Durable. Eat your heart out PS4 and xbone

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Never really had to use them for anything so it's alright. I find they could be a little easier to hit but once I got used to it, it becomes natural.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

It's up to the player how they want to hold it, but I've had no problems and prefer it over the 360s bumpers.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

I play NHL for at least an hour daily right now and I don't have any issues when it comes to this.. You're not meant to press the bumbers directly facing on, using the side of the buttons more on the side of the controller.. Much more effective and more comfortable for me anyway.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Amusing that when they bring controller design in-house they mess it up again.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Anyone agrees?

---

Do you also have a big dong like all tall men do?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@sts106mat said:

you genuinely are holding it wrong.

use the tips / joint at the top of your fingers on the triggers, the back of your knuckles should be resting on the edges of the bumpers where it begins to slope around the sides of the controller.

it takes a tiny outwards motion (extending the finger towards the straight position to activate the bumper. you dont need to move your entire finger position like you did the 360 remote.

Whilst not initially a huge fan, when i figured out the reason for the change, It really does make grenade throws etc much quicker

My work PC doesn't have audio, so I cannot pick the best video, but there are some on youtube which explain it.

Like I think you're saying, I just use the same two fingers I use for the triggers as I do for the bumpers, but I press the bumpers with the back of that finger (mid way down) and not the tips of my finger. That's why they now arch the bumpers more than the 360 ones. Because that's the point of the bumper you're meant to press and the arch now allows it to reach out to you more.

How are people using their middle fingers on the triggers and their index fingers on the bumpers? It's weird, the bumpers are too small and out of place for that.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HalcyonScarlet
@sts106mat said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@sts106mat said:

you genuinely are holding it wrong.

use the tips / joint at the top of your fingers on the triggers, the back of your knuckles should be resting on the edges of the bumpers where it begins to slope around the sides of the controller.

it takes a tiny outwards motion (extending the finger towards the straight position to activate the bumper. you dont need to move your entire finger position like you did the 360 remote.

Whilst not initially a huge fan, when i figured out the reason for the change, It really does make grenade throws etc much quicker

My work PC doesn't have audio, so I cannot pick the best video, but there are some on youtube which explain it.

Like I think you're saying, I just use the same two fingers I use for the triggers as I do for the bumpers, but I press the bumpers with the back of that finger (mid way down) and not the tips of my finger. That's why they now arch the bumpers more than the 360 ones. Because that's the point of the bumper you're meant to press and the arch now allows it to reach out to you more.

How are people using their middle fingers on the triggers and their index fingers on the bumpers? It's weird, the bumpers are too small and out of place for that.

yeah, that's it, your index fingers are on the trigger and bumper at the same time. your finger has no reason to leave this position, it allows for faster reaction times.

it is different to how the 360 controller is held, but it is an improvement .

I have tried the middle finger way, it doesn't work for me either lol.

To be honest, that's the same way I held the 360 controller and it only ever presented a small problem for me on one game.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GrenadeLauncher

@FastRobby said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Still better than DS4

Nah, son.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

Xbone controller is shit. Lem used to say xbox controller as best, now they say there is no best controller. They say this because they know DS4 is superior but cannot admit.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

They should of left the bumpers alone in my opinion.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@funkmaster1233 said:

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Anyone agrees?

---

Do you also have a big dong like all tall men do?

I'm pretty humble and I won't answer that outright on these forums.

Still, you seem like a cool gamer that has a good sense of humor and will make playing Titanfall and Destiny more entertaining, so hit me up on my gamertag when you have the chance for some fun cooperative gaming.

GT: KingDong69

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I understand the design of the bumpers on the Xbox One, but I'm not used to not lifting my fingers from trigger to bumper.

I'm sure it'd be different if I spent more time using the controller. Overall, it's the best one of the current gen I think.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mr-Kutaragi

@sts106mat said:

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

Xbone controller is shit. Lem used to say xbox controller as best, now they say there is no best controller. They say this because they know DS4 is superior but cannot admit.

Oh look its Mr Closet racist

DS4 is not superior it is improvement over DS3, triggers and sticks are still very poor and cheaply made. it is at least comfy to use

Stick material has already been change already. How long it take MS to change shit dpad of 360? And yet, dpad of shit xbox controller is still shit. Gaming site praise DS4 trigger all around and feel good for all genre. Xbone trigger oversize for gimmick when 360 trigger were fine. Touchpad is much more useful while MS pay 100 million for mad catz design.

Sorry lem, you lose to superior DS4.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Anyone agrees?

have the same thing, sold my xboxone again after i had it only for three days. Will buy one again when they got custom ones (or maybe i'll try the ps4 one lol)

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40  Edited By carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

I really dunno why they changed the controller from 360 to the XBONE. 360 controller got so much praise. Why mess with the bumpers???

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GrenadeLauncher

@FastRobby said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@FastRobby said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Still better than DS4

Nah, son.

Hahahaha

I know right? Your delusion is laughable.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mr-Kutaragi

@sts106mat said:

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@sts106mat said:

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

Oh look its Mr Closet racist

DS4 is not superior it is improvement over DS3, triggers and sticks are still very poor and cheaply made. it is at least comfy to use

Stick material has already been change already. How long it take MS to change shit dpad of 360? And yet, dpad of shit xbox controller is still shit. Gaming site praise DS4 trigger all around and feel good for all genre. Xbone trigger oversize for gimmick when 360 trigger were fine. Touchpad is much more useful while MS pay 100 million for mad catz design.

Sorry lem, you lose to superior DS4.

hahaha - if its been " praised " its because it is such a big improvement over the DS3

touchpad = basically useless so far, its essentially a big button. it is far quicker to type using the d-pad.

X1 Triggers are not oversized, they work perfectly in tandem with the bumper buttons as per the design. the rumble feature is a neat touch.

DS4 triggers are also very small and slippy, not as good as XB360's, never mind X1's

The sticks on DS4 also are very slippy, i have to constantly take my thumbs off them and re-position, that is poor design.

enough has been said

best things about the DS4 are it is very comfy to hold.

and the integrated speaker (when it gets used).

Praise because it is improvement over DS3, and 360 pad, and superior to xbone pad. Ouch.

Much more useful than rumble trigger, which only use for one game well- Forza. Touch function more useful, can be use for scrolling menu, using ability, also pressing in different area can be use as multiple button like in MGS ground zero and Diablo 3. Use will only grow over generation, while rumble trigger will stay gimmick.

360 trigger were ok, xbone trigger big, ugly, cheap like child toy. Matching with bumper button is not positive, selfown. Compare to L1 and R1, there is no compare. And they still do not fix dpad and skittle button.

DS4 trigger start big, taper, and curve so your finger do not slip. Your description show that you have not touch them, or are paid MS liar.

Material on DS4 has been change already. Xbox still using shit dpad.

Thank for reminding me of speaker and headphone jack and light bar as well. More positive of DS4 over xbone controller. TLHBO.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

@inb4uall: the Wii U pro controller battery life is by far the most amazing battery life I've ever experienced using a controller. I agree Wii U pro gamepad is great! Makes MK8 much more enoyable IMO. Haven't tried it for other games but I'm going to assuming the same.

billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By billing
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

Dont blame the controller for your little girly hands and fingers.

HaloFails123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HaloFails123
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

The Xbone is overall a badly-designed and badly-engineered product. Its cheap dollar store quality is worse than Apple's crappy bendable aluminum tin-can piece of shit.