Honest questions about the Xbox One?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@xxyetixx:

If the navigation isn't perfect, repeating commands is frustrating. I guess I'm not too bothered by having to pick up my remote, controller or tablet with smart glass to navigate.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Heil68

@SolidTy said:
@Heil68 said:
@SolidTy said:

@Heil68: My Kinect broke too. A few months back. I called M$ and they already knew about it as the lady said it was pretty common. Just FYI, you aren't alone. Funny thing is, I don't need Kinect to enjoy the Xbone anyways.

Did you send yours back in? Looking at:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4275/t/1954794.aspx?pi7962=1

seems like it might be software related? And you're right, you dont need it, more infuriating that I spent the money and it doesn't work.

Yeah, the lady on Xbox sounded like she had done thousands of returns and when I asked her she said she already knows the problem. I didn't even have to explain anything like I would in SW, it was so easy since she dealt with it so much. She said it was update with Xbone and killed the Kinect for a lot of people. It's been happening to a lot of users. Instead of a fix, they just sent me out a refurb unit or whatever.

With my 7.1 surround sound blasting, the damn Kinect couldn't hear me anyways. I have a new one and it works, but I don't use it since it can't hear me anyways.

Well I got my console in Nov '13, so I'm sure its out of warranty now and they will charge me to fix/replace.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Heil68 said:
@SolidTy said:
@Heil68 said:
@SolidTy said:

@Heil68: My Kinect broke too. A few months back. I called M$ and they already knew about it as the lady said it was pretty common. Just FYI, you aren't alone. Funny thing is, I don't need Kinect to enjoy the Xbone anyways.

Did you send yours back in? Looking at:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4275/t/1954794.aspx?pi7962=1

seems like it might be software related? And you're right, you dont need it, more infuriating that I spent the money and it doesn't work.

Yeah, the lady on Xbox sounded like she had done thousands of returns and when I asked her she said she already knows the problem. I didn't even have to explain anything like I would in SW, it was so easy since she dealt with it so much. She said it was update with Xbone and killed the Kinect for a lot of people. It's been happening to a lot of users. Instead of a fix, they just sent me out a refurb unit or whatever.

With my 7.1 surround sound blasting, the damn Kinect couldn't hear me anyways. I have a new one and it works, but I don't use it since it can't hear me anyways.

Well I got my console in Nov '13, so I'm sure its out of warranty now and they will charge me to fix/replace.

I got mine then as well too, but my Kinect died in 2014. Considering the Kinects-die-due-to-Xbone-updates issue is getting widespread enough, it may be worth your time to give them a call...maybe they will quietly take care of you for no charge.

You are out of warranty and they will know that, BUT there is a chance. My process was sooooo easy and I didn't even have to explain anything. It's now 2015, so I'd imagine they have streamlined this issue even better.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#54 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@drekula2 said:
  • Do you find the interface easy to navigate through?
  • Do you find the Kinect to be worth the money to you?
  • Does it play Blu Ray well enough for me not to need a dedicated Blu Ray player?
  • Can you put videos/movies on a thumbdrive and watch it from Xbox One (like with PS3)?
  • Is the slight hardware inferiority to the PS4 enough to reduce the fun factor?
  • What practical features does the XOne have that the PS4 doesn't?
  • yes
  • I use mine when I watch TV or when I want to turn the system on. I like my Kinect
  • I download my movies
  • Haven't tried
  • My PS4 is in its box
  • **** if I know
darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@darkangel115:

You can make all the analogies you want, but the bottom line is MS deemed it not a necessary part of the console anymore.

So yeah, that flip phone sure is selling better than that smart phone they had huh?

Voice commands aren't revolutionary by any stretch of the imagination, nor does MS own the market on it.

A person who doesn't care for video games isn't going to buy the console for the voice navigation. MS knows this and they dropped it . and went for more of a games console with AAA games. I'm happy, others seem to as well.

I would be honestly surprised if their next console included it or at the very least made it mandatory.

There is nothing wrong with choices. After the launch of the original kinect, more 360s sold with a kinect then without one. MS tried to push it to the other 50% clearly they weren't interested. but people do buy them, and people buy PS eye cameras, it's an accessory. I never said it was vital to the xbox or to gaming or it was an amazing glorious device people can't live without. what i said was that it's an impressive piece of tech and that I very much enjoy mine and wouldn't call it useless by any means.

Given the choice today, I'd absolutely buy the kinect version. as I'm buying an elite controller. As i have headsets for my X1 and PS4. it's a good accessory. Sure if you don't' play online and like your sound system you might call a headset a useless device, but there are many people who don't share that thought. 24 million original kinects sold (as an option) probably around 5-8 million V2 (although some weren't an option at the time) obviously some people like the device. But the fact i can be loaded in a game with my TV on and in a party with friends before i ever sit down to pick up a controller, well that is pretty awesome to me. I can't think of another device honestly that will turn on my sound system, gaming system, and TV, and load up a game and join a party all with a voice command. Can you name one?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By SolidTy

@drekula2 said:
  • Do you find the interface easy to navigate through? (The Xbone UI [User Interface] is very annoying, even Gamespot.com and other sites have discussed the crap UI for awhile. I still can't remove followers for instance. It looks pretty, but it's a bit laggy, and more designed to advertise. In fact, it feels like they were pushing KINECT hard making things obtuse on purpose with a controller. Even Xbox execs acknowledged the slow UI issues about a month ago: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-wants-faster-ui-for-xbox-one/1100-6426480/)
  • Do you find the Kinect to be worth the money to you? (No, it's garbage. It can't hear me over my 7.1 surround sound, making it useless unless I turn down my sound system and tell my family to shut up so the Kinect can hear me 70% of the time...I'm on my second Kinect anyways since the first one broke due to all the Xbone updates, not that I use it.)
  • Does it play Blu Ray well enough for me not to need a dedicated Blu Ray player? (The Blu-ray options are very limited and the gamma is too high. It's a clunky Blu-Ray interface. It will play them though, it's functional, but it's not fantastic quality. I never use my Xbone for Blu-rays after extensive testing. I have hundreds of Blu-Rays. As a matter of fact, the PS3 has a better Blu-Ray player with more options than the Xbone. Funny but true. One might argue they watch more apps like Hulu though, but if you are into the best quality and own Blu-Rays, use a standalone or PS3.)
  • Can you put videos/movies on a thumbdrive and watch it from Xbox One (like with PS3)? (Yes)
  • Is the slight hardware inferiority to the PS4 enough to reduce the fun factor? (I avoid multiplats on Xbone. I don't own a 720p or 900p HDTV, I own a 1080p Plasma HDTV. I want the best of the best for my HDTV. Sometimes the differences are hardly noticeable, other times you can tell big time. it's a game by game thing, but I just avoid the hassle and buy the best version since I have the consoles. I just avoid issues like I did last gen and the gen before that and buy the best version. Plus, the Xbone doesn't even get all the multiplats it should anyways, like Persona 5, Guilty Gear Xrd or Injustice Ultimate for example. The PS4 has close to 20+ more retail games and about 100 more games. It makes shopping easy when the more powerful system has more retail games on store shelves and far more digital games in the digital store.)
  • What practical features does the XOne have that the PS4 doesn't? (Practical? BC is coming, but it is limited. Right now I think the list is at 20ish? That is something practical for some, not for me though, I still own my 360s. I noticed even with the PS2 days I didn't use BC. It's a gimmick, but I refuse to wear out my new machines to play old games when I have the old machines. In your situation, I would still recommend buying a 360 and wearing that out instead of an Xbone. The HDD space is limiting and all the BC will do is eat of HDD space since the games are downloaded 7+ gigs at a time. That is space that you will NEED for Xbone games. Trust me, one year later and you are deleted BS or considering spending $50-$150 on an external HDD.)

Six minute video by Gamespot.com regarding the Xbone's 1 year anniversary that just went last November. They discussed one year with the Xbone:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-the-year-one-review/1100-6423669/

They covered the Xbone OS/UI as well in the video:

Lucy James found the Xbone UI difficult to navigate the UI with a controller and how you are forced to use Kinect shortcuts (if you have a Kinect model). She felt the interface was actively out to get her.

Kevin VanOrd (owns the Xbone) called the Xbone UI " a stupid mess". "It's More designed to advertise" to users than let him do the things he wants.

Seb Ford said the Xbone UI was Clumsy, confusing, snap isn't particularly intuitive...even changing settings is really frustrating.

Rob Crossley said the Xbone "Operating system and UI is so bad" and "atrocious" that he found M$'s team choices Genuinely shocking and fascinating. He can't believe how many bad decisions on the UI were allowed to be in the Xbone.

Cam Robinson said the Xbone UI needs to be completely redone for him to consider buying an Xbone instead of using the Xbone at the office.

Like anything, humans can adapt. You will adapt to the Xbone UI, but that doesn't automatically make it a good UI. There is also a giant article there as well to read after you watch the small video. Enjoy.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Heil68

@darkangel115:

They sold that many this gen because launch wasnt offered without one.

I push the controller on, or use my Harmony remote and my tv, receiver and cable box come on. I can then navigate to anything I want. I don't find it a hassle to use a controller to navigate a game console

Im glad you like it, but I dont need it to enjoy the console nor did it ever make my life easier.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 darkangel115

@Heil68 said:

@darkangel115:

I push the controller on, or use my Harmony remote and my tv, receiver and cable box come on. I can then navigate to anything I want. I don't find it a hassle to use a controller to navigate a game console

Im glad you like it, but I dont need it to enjoy the console nor did it ever make my life easier.

except you purchased an expensive remote to do what the kinect does, then called the kinect useless. What can your remote do that kinect can't?

I know smartglass doesn't need kinect for the console. but the IR blaster is in kinect and therefor it allows my cell phone to do everything your remote can do. Even w/o the voice commands, it replaces your remote

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 darkangel115
@SolidTy said:
@drekula2 said:
  • Do you find the interface easy to navigate through? (The Xbone UI [User Interface] is very annoying, even Gamespot.com and other sites have discussed the crap UI for awhile. I still can't remove followers for instance. It looks pretty, but it's a bit laggy, and more designed to advertise. In fact, it feels like they were pushing KINECT hard making things obtuse on purpose with a controller. Even Xbox execs acknowledged the slow UI issues about a month ago: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-wants-faster-ui-for-xbox-one/1100-6426480/)
  • Do you find the Kinect to be worth the money to you? (No, it's garbage. It can't hear me over my 7.1 surround sound, making it useless unless I turn down my sound system and tell my family to shut up so the Kinect can hear me 70% of the time...I'm on my second Kinect anyways since the first one broke due to all the Xbone updates, not that I use it.)
  • Does it play Blu Ray well enough for me not to need a dedicated Blu Ray player? (The Blu-ray options are very limited and the gamma is too high. It's a clunky Blu-Ray interface. It will play them though, it's functional, but it's not fantastic quality. I never use my Xbone for Blu-rays after extensive testing. I have hundreds of Blu-Rays. As a matter of fact, the PS3 has a better Blu-Ray player with more options than the Xbone. Funny but true. One might argue they watch more apps like Hulu though, but if you are into the best quality and own Blu-Rays, use a standalone or PS3.)
  • Can you put videos/movies on a thumbdrive and watch it from Xbox One (like with PS3)? (Yes)
  • Is the slight hardware inferiority to the PS4 enough to reduce the fun factor? (I avoid multiplats on Xbone. I don't own a 720p or 900p HDTV, I own a 1080p Plasma HDTV. I want the best of the best for my HDTV. Sometimes the differences are hardly noticeable, other times you can tell big time. it's a game by game thing, but I just avoid the hassle and buy the best version since I have the consoles. I just avoid issues like I did last gen and the gen before that and buy the best version. Plus, the Xbone doesn't even get all the multiplats it should anyways, like Persona 5, Guilty Gear Xrd or Injustice Ultimate for example. The PS4 has close to 20+ more retail games and about 100 more games. It makes shopping easy when the more powerful system has more retail games on store shelves and far more digital games in the digital store.)
  • What practical features does the XOne have that the PS4 doesn't? (Practical? BC is coming, but it is limited. Right now I think the list is at 20ish? That is something practical for some, not for me though, I still own my 360s. I noticed even with the PS2 days I didn't use BC. It's a gimmick, but I refuse to wear out my new machines to play old games when I have the old machines. In your situation, I would still recommend buying a 360 and wearing that out instead of an Xbone. The HDD space is limiting and all the BC will do is eat of HDD space since the games are downloaded 7+ gigs at a time. That is space that you will NEED for Xbone games. Trust me, one year later and you are deleted BS or considering spending $50-$150 on an external HDD.)

Six minute video by Gamespot.com regarding the Xbone's 1 year anniversary that just went last November. They discussed one year with the Xbone:

Lucy James found the Xbone UI difficult to navigate the UI with a controller and how you are forced to use Kinect shortcuts (if you have a Kinect model). She felt the interface was actively out to get her.

Kevin VanOrd (owns the Xbone) called the Xbone UI " a stupid mess". "It's More designed to advertise" to users than let him do the things he wants.

Seb Ford said the Xbone UI was Clumsy, confusing, snap isn't particularly intuitive...even changing settings is really frustrating.

Rob Crossley said the Xbone "Operating system and UI is so bad" and "atrocious" that he found M$'s team choices Genuinely shocking and fascinating. He can't believe how many bad decisions on the UI were allowed to be in the Xbone.

Cam Robinson said the Xbone UI needs to be completely redone for him to consider buying an Xbone instead of using the Xbone at the office.

Like anything, humans can adapt. You will adapt to the Xbone UI, but that doesn't automatically make it a good UI. There is also a giant article there as well to read after you watch the small video. Enjoy.

Opinions? sure humans adapt. the X1 UI was brand new, where as the PS4 is pretty much the same as the PS3. but until sony lets me pin items, it'll be leaps and bounds behind the xbox UI. the sony settings menu is a mess where as the X1 is much cleaner and also can be accessed anywhere. The integration in the party/invite system, is still something sony has dropped the ball on. Everything takes time to learn but come on, the sony UI is way too basic for it's own good. I can see some not so smart people feeling the X1 UI is hard to use, because you have to learn something new and people suck at that. I mean people hated windows 8 just because the start menu was moved, meanwhile it's a much better OS then 7 or anything else out there.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Heil68

@darkangel115 said:
@Heil68 said:

@darkangel115:

except you purchased an expensive remote to do what the kinect does, then called the kinect useless. What can your remote do that kinect can't?

I know smartglass doesn't need kinect for the console. but the IR blaster is in kinect and therefor it allows my cell phone to do everything your remote can do. Even w/o the voice commands, it replaces your remote

I can turn to a different HDMI input on my TV a different receiver input ,and turn another game console on. Kinect cant do that. Your phone wont do that either.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By SolidTy

@darkangel115 said:
@SolidTy said:
@drekula2 said:

Opinions? sure humans adapt. the X1 UI was brand new, where as the PS4 is pretty much the same as the PS3. but until sony lets me pin items, it'll be leaps and bounds behind the xbox UI. the sony settings menu is a mess where as the X1 is much cleaner and also can be accessed anywhere. The integration in the party/invite system, is still something sony has dropped the ball on. Everything takes time to learn but come on, the sony UI is way too basic for it's own good. I can see some not so smart people feeling the X1 UI is hard to use, because you have to learn something new and people suck at that. I mean people hated windows 8 just because the start menu was moved, meanwhile it's a much better OS then 7 or anything else out there.

None of the UIs are the bestest. I agree the PS4 is more barebones, but with that it's very speedy UI and easy to adjust settings (both issues on Xbone). I have issues with all of the UIs, BUT, my post was answering the TC's question about the Xbone's UI.

None of these companies should feel the need to re-invent the wheel everytime a new machine drops, especially when the 'brand new thing' sucks worse than the old thing. Pins are nice but it's a bandaid on the busted artery that is the Xbone UI, but they are limited as there is only so much space and a whole lot to juggle. Many things on my Xbone got pushed off the pin list. The PS4 does pin the most recent games to the front, and you can control if the list shortens or not in the settings.

It's one thing to learn something new, it's another to make a product deliberately obtuse to promote Kinect use so people have to dig around to change settings with a controller (the majority if Xbone buyers have no Kinect), delete followers, looking at achievements which are now an app, or even party up (party system on Xbone is wack in comparison to PS4 or even the amazing 360). Heck, as I showed above, even Xbox execs acknowledged the slow Xbone UI issues about a month ago: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-wants-faster-ui-for-xbox-one/1100-6426480/

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Heil68

@darkangel115 said:
@SolidTy said:
@drekula2 said:

The party system was something MS went backwards on and made it much, much worse.

Sony finally got hardware they could do chat/invites with.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#63 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@drekula2:

You don know that the PS4 does do hd movies on thumbdrive now, as well as photos and music and has DNLA support (since e3) .... Just saying as you may not know it as it wasn't announced at their conference. It even supports formats the PS3 didn't like mkv.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 darkangel115

@SolidTy said:
@darkangel115 said:
@SolidTy said:
@drekula2 said:

None of the UIs are the bestest. I agree the PS4 is more barebones, but with that it's very speedy UI and easy to adjust settings (both issues on Xbone). I have issues with all of the UIs, BUT, my post was answering the TC's question about the Xbone's UI.

None of these companies should feel the need to re-invent the wheel everytime a new machine drops, especially when the 'brand new thing' sucks worse than the old thing. Pins are nice but it's a bandaid on the busted artery that is the Xbone UI, but they are limited as there is only so much space and a whole lot to juggle. Many things on my Xbone got pushed off the pin list. The PS4 does pin the most recent games to the front, and you can control if the list shortens or not in the settings.

It's one thing to learn something new, it's another to make a product deliberately obtuse to promote Kinect use so people have to dig around to change settings with a controller (the majority if Xbone buyers have no Kinect), delete followers, looking at achievements which are now an app, or even party up (party system on Xbone is wack in comparison to PS4 or even the amazing 360). Heck, as I showed above, even Xbox execs acknowledged the slow Xbone UI issues about a month ago: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-wants-faster-ui-for-xbox-one/1100-6426480/

lol out of context much? If usain bolt said his goal is to get faster, does that make him slow? um no. I'm glad they are looking towards improvement. It never hurts and I'm always critical of both companies when need be, but clearly you don't know how to use the UI on one of the systems. how can you not find settings? it's everywhere lol. all you do is hit the start button on any tile and there is a button on the list to go to settings. it's accessible from any screen.

And i feel the opposite, I do think companies should try and reinvent the wheel, I think they should push for new experiences and make improvement. Nothing gets pushed off the pin list. you choose your pins on X1 (unlike PS4 which just shows you the recent stuff) and it doesn't separate it. I tried watching powers and now it's mixed in on my homepage with my games. The more you talk, the more it just feels like you haven't used the X1 much at all because you keep stating incorrect things.

The app thing is great, If i wanted to achievement hunt (I don't could care less honestly but some people do) you can snap it and track your progress real time while playing. I have a few friends who do this actually. Since when is it worse to run 2 things at once instead of being limited to one? Also the party system on PS4 sucks and so does the 360 compared to the X1. the PS4 is basically just like the 360, people dropping in and out and stupid notifications blocking your screen as you do it. I've never been in a working party of more then 2 people on PS4. by the time a 3rd person enters, the party just breaks and we have to use gamechat. When the X1 first launched the party system sucked, but the funny thing was a big reason it sucked was I had to take 1 extra step to join party chat. Yes 1 extra step made it feel crappy to me. But thankfully that was fixed about jan/feb 2014 and since then it's been great. and since about 5 months ago, they added more improvements, hosting parties on dedicated servers so everyone can connect to each other. How is the party system wack for X1 but great on PS4. hell there isn't even an "invite party to game button on the PS4" even the 360 had one.

I get you love the PS4, Hell I like the PS4 too, but lets not ignore the major shortcoming of it, because personally I want a better PS4 and the more fanboys take it up the butt from sony, the less likely I am to get improvements because they won't see a need. At least some fanboys are finally fed up with PSN and started the #betterPSN campaign on twitter thanks to neoGAF. Also don't try to discuss things you clearly lack knowledge on

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 darkangel115

@Heil68 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@SolidTy said:
@drekula2 said:

The party system was something MS went backwards on and made it much, much worse.

Sony finally got hardware they could do chat/invites with.

I'll humor you, tell me how the party system is worse

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 darkangel115

@Heil68 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@Heil68 said:

@darkangel115:

I can turn to a different HDMI input on my TV a different receiver input ,and turn another game console on. Kinect cant do that. Your phone wont do that either.

1) I can have 2 inputs active on 1 HDMI connection, so yes technically i can switch inputs between 2 things, just can't do 3 for some reason (IDK why they don't add an input button to the remote TBH)

2) I can still turn on another game console from my phone (using the sony app on my phone)

So you paid over 100 bucks for a remote so you can change inputs instead of just using kinect? then talk about how kinect sucks. You are one funny/weird dude

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Heil68

@darkangel115:

You didnt think there were major set backs on inviting friends to parties when console first came out?

"

Fixing Party Chat or a Multiplayer Game

Xbox One Support has released[2] a fix to an issue some users are facing with regards to starting a party with your friends or beginning a multiplayer game with them."

You dont remember update for TitanFall game to help??

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/xbox-one-party-chat-not-working-fix-issues-these-official-solutions-370853

Adding a friend to chat went backwards. On 360 is was so much easier.

You have to turn on party chat??? wtf

Not even comparing it to Sony, I'm just saying they didn't think the whole thing through and took a step back to what was available on 360.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Heil68

@darkangel115 said:
@Heil68 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@Heil68 said:

@darkangel115:

1) I can have 2 inputs active on 1 HDMI connection, so yes technically i can switch inputs between 2 things, just can't do 3 for some reason (IDK why they don't add an input button to the remote TBH)

2) I can still turn on another game console from my phone (using the sony app on my phone)

So you paid over 100 bucks for a remote so you can change inputs instead of just using kinect? then talk about how kinect sucks. You are one funny/weird dude

uhhhh, I've had my Harmony remote for a couple years before X1 was even released.

And like you said I dont have to use the pass through to change to another HDMI if I dont want to, and the X1 wont do HDMI 3 or 4 for my other connections.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 darkangel115

@Heil68 said:

@darkangel115:

You didnt think there were major set backs on inviting friends to parties when console first came out?

"

Xbox One Support has released[2] a fix to an issue some users are facing with regards to starting a party with your friends or beginning a multiplayer game with them."

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/xbox-one-party-chat-not-working-fix-issues-these-official-solutions-370853

Not even comparing it to Sony, I'm just saying they didn't think the whole thing through and took a step back to what was available on 360.

Of course 1st gen things were glitchy, but party chat has been around for what 10 years? It's not anything that's exactly new. You don't have to turn on party chat, that was fixed well over a year ago. It seems you really don't know what you are talking about when you make comments like that. and yes it was stupid and i was very critical of it. I'm critical of both MS and Sony's stupidity. Since feb this year, party chat moves over to dedicated servers if there is any NAT issues. I haven't had 1 person "drop out" of chat since then in over 4 months and I use it pretty much every night. Meanwhile parties barely work and are a mess on PS4, I've never been in a working party of more then 2 people on the PS4. Plus the voice quality is way better on X1 then PS4. PS4 sounds like you are on a walkie talkie, while X1 sounds like they are sitting next to you in a room. and the fact you can't invite your party to a game is a huge oversight on sonys part. having to separately invite 7 people into a game is a joke compared to pressing one button on X1 and it sending out 7 invites by itself. and the fact that you have to be friends with someone to invite them. so if someone is in the party your not friends with (a friend of a friend) i have to send them a FR and they have to accept it so that i can send them a game invite. then remove them later if I don't want them on my FL. But go ahead and ignore those issues that still exist on PS4 while you bring up issues with the X1 that was fixed over a year ago. Yes at launch the X1 party system sucked, the invite system sucked, i was critical of it so were many others. They fixed it by Feb so 4 months later that's what i like MS does stupid things, but they listen and fix stuff. Sony does stupid things and they stay that way forever.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@drekula2 said:
  • Do you find the interface easy to navigate through? Yes. But, it could be better.
  • Do you find the Kinect to be worth the money to you? Not sure about the motion controls, but I use the voice commands daily.
  • Does it play Blu Ray well enough for me not to need a dedicated Blu Ray player? Never had a problem with the Blu-Ray player.
  • Can you put videos/movies on a thumbdrive and watch it from Xbox One (like with PS3)? Honestly, never tried.
  • Is the slight hardware inferiority to the PS4 enough to reduce the fun factor? Nope. The difference is rather minor, and pretty much non-existand unless you stare at screen captures side by side.
  • What practical features does the XOne have that the PS4 doesn't? Better online, I prefer XB1 exclusives, it can do more "non-gaming" things. Honestly, they are a kind of a wash - you should buy the one that has the games you want on it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Heil68

@darkangel115 said:
@Heil68 said:

@darkangel115:

"

. Yes at launch the X1 party system sucked, the invite system sucked,

Thank you.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By darkangel115

@Heil68 said:
@darkangel115 said:
@Heil68 said:

@darkangel115:

"

. Yes at launch the X1 party system sucked, the invite system sucked,

Thank you.

I never said otherwise. The difference is the PS4 party system sucked at launch and still does. The X1 has been flawless this year. I like how you ignore all the issues the PS4 currently has, yet harp on issues the X1 had over a year ago. This is why sony products are constantly behind, most of their fans like you, refuse to speak up to get things fixed. You are basically content with a crappier service because brand loyalty. Sony fans like me, will speak up so i can get a better product. You think you are helping sony, but your not. You are making them worse, people like me help sony give us a better product.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@Heil68 said:

yeah, ok, compare SPACE shuttle to Kinect..lol, and the odds of Space Shuttle working as intended are probably better than Kinect, the joke of the industry.

Sorry to pick this out from your ongoing discussion it just made me think of a fun fact.

When the Hubble Space telescope's CPU was upgraded in 1999 they fitted a 25Mhz i486 processor which, at the time was 20x more powerful than the original DF-224. What's that got to do with anything? Well it means that a Kinnect, with its dedicated single 1.75 Ghz core, probably uses more CPU power than the Hubble Space telescope! :)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By SolidTy

@darkangel115 said:
@SolidTy said:
@darkangel115 said:
@SolidTy said:
@drekula2 said:

lol out of context much? If usain bolt said his goal is to get faster, does that make him slow? um no. I'm glad they are looking towards improvement. It never hurts and I'm always critical of both companies when need be, but clearly you don't know how to use the UI on one of the systems. how can you not find settings? it's everywhere lol. all you do is hit the start button on any tile and there is a button on the list to go to settings. it's accessible from any screen.

And i feel the opposite, I do think companies should try and reinvent the wheel, I think they should push for new experiences and make improvement. Nothing gets pushed off the pin list. you choose your pins on X1 (unlike PS4 which just shows you the recent stuff) and it doesn't separate it. I tried watching powers and now it's mixed in on my homepage with my games. The more you talk, the more it just feels like you haven't used the X1 much at all because you keep stating incorrect things.

The app thing is great, If i wanted to achievement hunt (I don't could care less honestly but some people do) you can snap it and track your progress real time while playing. I have a few friends who do this actually. Since when is it worse to run 2 things at once instead of being limited to one? Also the party system on PS4 sucks and so does the 360 compared to the X1. the PS4 is basically just like the 360, people dropping in and out and stupid notifications blocking your screen as you do it. I've never been in a working party of more then 2 people on PS4. by the time a 3rd person enters, the party just breaks and we have to use gamechat. When the X1 first launched the party system sucked, but the funny thing was a big reason it sucked was I had to take 1 extra step to join party chat. Yes 1 extra step made it feel crappy to me. But thankfully that was fixed about jan/feb 2014 and since then it's been great. and since about 5 months ago, they added more improvements, hosting parties on dedicated servers so everyone can connect to each other. How is the party system wack for X1 but great on PS4. hell there isn't even an "invite party to game button on the PS4" even the 360 had one.

I get you love the PS4, Hell I like the PS4 too, but lets not ignore the major shortcoming of it, because personally I want a better PS4 and the more fanboys take it up the butt from sony, the less likely I am to get improvements because they won't see a need. At least some fanboys are finally fed up with PSN and started the #betterPSN campaign on twitter thanks to neoGAF. Also don't try to discuss things you clearly lack knowledge on

I didn't say I couldn't find the Xbone settings, lol. That's easy. The layout of the settings is stupid, but it's easy to find. I said PS4 has easier to adjust settings, not that settings are hard to find. Anyone can adapt, but the Xbone UI not a good layout (as cited above by our very own Gamespot, let alone the many users here who just don't want to argue with hardcore Xbone defenders but silently agree as they have dealt with the awkward, obtuse Xbone UI). I said I couldn't delete followers. Do you know how to delete Xbone followers? You'd probably have to google it because the Xbone UI is not intuitive. The truth is people google how to get around the Xbone UI and THEY Shouldn't have too.

Yes, Xbone Pins get pushed off. I don't know why you are discussing things you clearly lack knowledge on. I guess you don't own as many Xbone games as I do. I know from experience. Add Achievements, Party or whatever on top of your Xbone games to the pins and you have problems. Not enough space. There isn't enough room for all my pins. When I delete a pin, like the recent EA Access trial, everything was pushed down. Pins are a bandaid on the poor Xbone UI experience. Yeah, I adapted, as clearly you did, but that doesn't make the UI good, as many websites have stated. Hell, M$ has stated they want to improve the UI and they are just going to give us another UI as well.

You didn't even address that Xbox execs have noted the lag and poor speed of the Xbone UI in comparison and have addressed that by wanting to speed up the Xbone UI which I also sited. You just sort of cherry picked my post that wasn't ever addressed to upset Xbone fans. My post was addressed to the TC. I knew posting it I would anger some uber fans, but that was never my intention.

Achievements load up and were faster on 360 than Xbone. The layout of the Achievements on Xbone are horrible; Giant squares that take up too much space to make reading multiple achievements a pain in comparison to the 360's vertical layout. I understand you want to defend the Xbone, but this is extreme. Achievements are a app now, that's just horrible. You have to load it up like an app...it's not good, despite people trying to find some good by snapping. You work with the tools available, but that doesn't equate to a good experience. It's like you said, you don't care for achievements, so maybe you shouldn't feel the need to automatically defend something you don't care for...especially someone like me who has about 130,000 Gamerscore. I realize Achievements are Xbox related, but you don't have to even discuss it if you don't even care for it. Anecdotal stories of what you heard others do doesn't improve my end all experience as a former achievement hunter.

Different =/= Better.

Huh? I never said I love the PS4, but it's clear you really love the Xbone. I didn't randomly quote users in this thread addressing the TC, but I did reply to you who felt the need to quote a user who wasn't speaking to you because inherently you enjoy the Xbox brand and Xbone. What I enjoy didn't factor enough into me caring enough to quote anyone in this thread other than the TC's question. I responded with my launch till now Xbone experience. You really aren't reading or understanding some of my words and besides your ultra, and I would dare say biased, defense of the Xbone (I didn't quote you and tell you anything about the PS4, you quoted me to defend Xbone), my post was never intended for you. It's clear to me that you are only interested in shining a favorable light on the Xbone UI and sweeping the flaws of the Xbone UI experience under the carpet. That's not objective and certainly doesn't not properly brace the TC for what he has coming. If fanboys a brand, fanboys are willing to overlook huge flaws and then get on the forums and tell others they too should overlook the flaws because there is an Xbox logo on the product. Oh well.

I gave the TC a few links, I took the time to quote five editors. I cited my work and noted my Xbone Xperience. If your experience differs, feel free to quote the TC and tell him your experience like others did. You didn't cite any links and just posted your opinions. That's nice, but I didn't post to debate my ongoing experience with you. Running around doing damage control and debating other Xbone owners doesn't accomplish anything.

Truth is, I don't particularly like this current generation of gaming we are in (Wii U, Xbone, PS4). When talking UI, as I said, I can find faults with all three. However, again I feel I need to remind you I responded to the TC's question about the Xbone. Funny you somehow equate that with loving a machine just because I don't automatically love your preferred gaming brand. I enjoy last gen, PC gaming, and retro gaming more than current gen gaming so far and it's already 2015. If the PS4 is the best of current gen, then it is king of the turds as far as I'm concerned.

My message was for the TC. It doesn't matter now anyways.

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#75  Edited By XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

@drekula2 said:
  • Do you find the interface easy to navigate through?
  • Do you find the Kinect to be worth the money to you?
  • Does it play Blu Ray well enough for me not to need a dedicated Blu Ray player?
  • Can you put videos/movies on a thumbdrive and watch it from Xbox One (like with PS3)?
  • Is the slight hardware inferiority to the PS4 enough to reduce the fun factor?
  • What practical features does the XOne have that the PS4 doesn't?

1. Yes.

2. The Kinect is a good add-on and makes navigation a breeze; but I didn't really ask for it.

3. Yes, it plays Blu-rays well. But to use a console as a dedicated Blu-ray player is pointless imo.

4. And also like the 360. Yep.

5. Stable framerate experience, dynamic resolution and so on doesn't exactly say "inferiority" nor slight inferiority. The overall experience lies in the games available, such as Titanfall, Ryse, Forza Horizon 2, PVZGW, SOD, and many more.

6. Impulse triggers, game sales, EA access, Kinect, Backwards compatibility, Xbox Preview Program featuring beta access to upcoming games and a feedback app, An HDMI-in port, app achievements (for every app, for example, watch Youtube, get an achievement, search on an app possible achievement), Smartglass, being able to control your X1 with a tablet, Windows 10 etc.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 darkangel115
@SolidTy said:

I didn't say I couldn't find the Xbone settings, lol. That's easy. The layout of the settings is stupid, but it's easy to find. I said PS4 has easier to adjust settings, not that settings are hard to find. Anyone can adapt, but the Xbone UI not a good layout (as cited above by our very own Gamespot, let alone the many users here who just don't want to argue with hardcore Xbone defenders but silently agree as they have dealt with the awkward, obtuse Xbone UI). I said I couldn't delete followers. Do you know how to delete Xbone followers? You'd probably have to google it because the Xbone UI is not intuitive. The truth is people google how to get around the Xbone UI and THEY Shouldn't have too.

Yes, Xbone Pins get pushed off. I don't know why you are discussing things you clearly lack knowledge on. I guess you don't own as many Xbone games as I do. I know from experience. Add Achievements, Party or whatever on top of your Xbone games to the pins and you have problems. Not enough space. There isn't enough room for all my pins. When I delete a pin, like the recent EA Access trial, everything was pushed down. Pins are a bandaid on the poor Xbone UI experience. Yeah, I adapted, as clearly you did, but that doesn't make the UI good, as many websites have stated. Hell, M$ has stated they want to improve the UI and they are just going to give us another UI as well.

You didn't even address that Xbox execs have noted the lag and poor speed of the Xbone UI in comparison and have addressed that by wanting to speed up the Xbone UI which I also sited. You just sort of cherry picked my post that wasn't ever addressed to upset Xbone fans. My post was addressed to the TC. I knew posting it I would anger some uber fans, but that was never my intention.

Achievements load up and were faster on 360 than Xbone. The layout of the Achievements on Xbone are horrible; Giant squares that take up too much space to make reading multiple achievements a pain in comparison to the 360's vertical layout. I understand you want to defend the Xbone, but this is extreme. Achievements are a app now, that's just horrible. You have to load it up like an app...it's not good, despite people trying to find some good by snapping. You work with the tools available, but that doesn't equate to a good experience. It's like you said, you don't care for achievements, so maybe you shouldn't feel the need to automatically defend something you don't care for...especially someone like me who has about 130,000 Gamerscore. I realize Achievements are Xbox related, but you don't have to even discuss it if you don't even care for it. Anecdotal stories of what you heard others do doesn't improve my end all experience as a former achievement hunter.

Different =/= Better.

Huh? I never said I love the PS4, but it's clear you really love the Xbone. I didn't randomly quote users in this thread addressing the TC, but I did reply to you who felt the need to quote a user who wasn't speaking to you because inherently you enjoy the Xbox brand and Xbone. What I enjoy didn't factor enough into me caring enough to quote anyone in this thread other than the TC's question. I responded with my launch till now Xbone experience. You really aren't reading or understanding some of my words and besides your ultra, and I would dare say biased, defense of the Xbone (I didn't quote you and tell you anything about the PS4, you quoted me to defend Xbone), my post was never intended for you. It's clear to me that you are only interested in shining a favorable light on the Xbone UI and sweeping the flaws of the Xbone UI experience under the carpet. That's not objective and certainly doesn't not properly brace the TC for what he has coming. If fanboys a brand, fanboys are willing to overlook huge flaws and then get on the forums and tell others they too should overlook the flaws because there is an Xbox logo on the product. Oh well.

I gave the TC a few links, I took the time to quote five editors. I cited my work and noted my Xbone Xperience. If your experience differs, feel free to quote the TC and tell him your experience like others did. You didn't cite any links and just posted your opinions. That's nice, but I didn't post to debate my ongoing experience with you. Running around doing damage control and debating other Xbone owners doesn't accomplish anything.

Truth is, I don't particularly like this current generation of gaming we are in (Wii U, Xbone, PS4). When talking UI, as I said, I can find faults with all three. However, again I feel I need to remind you I responded to the TC's question about the Xbone. Funny you somehow equate that with loving a machine just because I don't automatically love your preferred gaming brand. I enjoy last gen, PC gaming, and retro gaming more than current gen gaming so far and it's already 2015. If the PS4 is the best of current gen, then it is king of the turds as far as I'm concerned.

My message was for the TC. It doesn't matter now anyways.

I'm sorry but I'm far from an xbox fanatic or fanboy. I just think that baseless claims are dumb and I called you out on it. that simple. I'm not even calling you a fanboy, I'm saying very simply the UI on the X1 is very good. People don't like when things change, they have to relearn, but if you don't' change things what do you get? Imagine still running on Windows 95 right now? Or Classic Mac OS? Different =/= bad, but some people seem to think that. I remember about 6-7 years ago i was given a macbook by my job, I never used a modern mac, last time i used an apple computer before that was way back as a kid when they had 5.3" floppy discs and Oregon trail lol. I could have said no but he was saying how good it was so I gave it a try. I spent a few days learning how it works. I liked it, It was different, each program is it's own app pretty much, self contained no install needed. But it lacked some stuff. like a basic ability to right click and send a file through email. But it had this cool app called automater. it was a basic script program that was easy to use. I used it to add in that functionality. Later on they added the functionality though. I think I started on OSX leopard. Right now I'm on mavericks. I use VMware and have a windows 7 PC running the same time as the mac on 2 separate screens, so it's like I have 2 separate computers, can use any program out there (I even have an old XP VM i can boot up if needed) and they work together so i can use both in unison. It's pretty dam cool TBH.

So why do I bring that up? Because If I thought like you, I would have dismissed it, I would have said it sucked because it's different. I would have never learned to use it. Being in the tech field, I'm always learning new stuff and trying to keep up on all the changes. It makes me excited for new things even if they don't start off as perfect. I'm not a person content on "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I like to see wheels reinvented, to learn new things, It has nothing to do with sony or MS, it's to do with the ignorance of people here and ignorance of the common gamer. It's not me bashing or praising another company. Look at Heli's post to see what I mean. He said the Xbox party system sucks, I agreed it sucked for the first 4 months until they fixed it. Then I told him all the issues I have with the PS4 Party system, of course he ignores it. I don't deny that MS has had some bad shit, but they fix it and they update things and make them better, And I hate to see people bash any company that pushes to make things better and yet praise a company content on making something "that works" and never updating it. You only take it as a fanboy thing, because you must be projecting. But that's on you, not on me.

As far as pins, IDK the limit. do you pin everything? I have about 10 items pinned. It never gives me an issue. I just pin games that I haven't finished or still play as a reminder because I have over 50 games (including the crappy free ones lol) So it's hard to remember every game I didn't finish. my backlog is embarrassing lol. I agree the pins could use some work, to make them more "android like" as right now they are more "iphone like" But at least they are there and give me easy short cuts and reminders of what games I need to finish. My library on the PS4 is a mess. The new UI isn't a change because "it sucks" it's a change to go from windows 8 to windows 10. It's to unify the OS's for PC and Xbox and mobile for Microsoft. to have 1 OS that works across the board. it's a great Idea. It'll allow things like cross play, cross mods, easy PC ports etc. You do know that the X1 UI is windows 8 without a desktop right? Have you used windows 8? I know some people hated it because it was different. It's actually much better then windows 7. People are again just ignorant and scared of change.

Yes some things load faster on the PS4 for sure, I never said otherwise, I'm glad they are looking to improve things but it doesn't make it crappy. I mean is a 2014 ferrari crappy because they are looking to approve things in the 2015 model? again that thought process is just plain ignorance. Snapping is great because multitasking. It's great to be able to do multiple things at once. to watch Sunday NFL ticket and play games at the same time. great for achievement hunters, for streamers, for people who need walkthroughs and can watch them on youtube while playing the area of the game. Surely you can see the value in that. It's something no other console can do.

I like how you say I love the xbox. I don't really "love" any piece of plastic all jokes aside. I do like the xbox a lot, I also like the PS4 a lot. it doesn't mean I don't want to see improvements. Both can improve, I just feel the PS4 has a long way to go. It's lack of convenience is a big reason I don't use it as much as I want to. If you don't use it and "adapt" everyday to it, it becomes a chore to use. Much like PC gaming which is why I don't like it personally. I want to see improvements to PSN, to the UI, it's simple things sony should be doing. MS does it, why can't sony. Saying that doesn't make me a fanboy of MS, it makes me a reasonable fan of sony that wants them to be up to par with their user experience.

I never sweep the flaws of the X1, But the UI to me is pretty dam good, best I ever seen on a console. sure it could be somewhat influenced by the kinect/digital games combo. I've never used it with just a controller. and the social features are self contained which is great. I can see my friends clips on an activity feed, I don't need to use twitter or facebook (neither of which i use) like in other places and even share a friends video in a message. Simple things like that make it fun to use. Something I'd like to see sony implement. Or storing videos online. Why are videos taking up as much space on my limited hard drive as a game? and then needing to USB transfer them to a PC. it's a chore. Things like being able to pull up a clip anywhere via a website on any device w/o an extra work. great features and part of the UI/UE. I think MS needs to up the game clip limit, I think pins need some work, but other then that i can't see any glaring issues. all the other issues I've had in the past have been fixed. battery meter and low battery warning, party issues at launch, terrible invite system for ryse and DR3 at launch, Lack of external storage, Lack of 3d blu ray, All things that have been fixed. meanwhile my gripes about sony never get fixed and people are content with "so what" and anytime someone brings up improvements they want to see be it here, neogaf, PS forums, twitter, they are met with the "SDF" calling them a troll or xbox fanboy (like you just did to me) there is a difference between being a fanboy and wanting to see improvements on somehting you own. You want to see fanboys look at tormentos foxbotalpha, gpuking, heli (alhtough i actually kinda like him lol) I never called you a fanboy, what I'm calling you is ignorant. And I don't mean ti as an insult, i mean it as an observation.

Not looking to ruffle feathers, but your idea that it sucks comes from 5 editors at gamespot. If they were really these tech savvy people, they wouldn't be writing about games for a living. If you wanted to say ti sucked, show me devs or Tech experts, saying so, not editors. It's not doing DC, but when someone states something "like heli did with the party sucks" and i asked for an explanation all he could do it bring up how it sucked at launch, and I agree it did. But bringing up "issues' that haven't existed in years is misleading to the OP who would have no experience similar to that.

Truth is for me, I can care less about brand. All i care about is user experience and games. I think this gen has been good, you are free to disagree. If you like retro gaming good for you. I'm old i had my fix of those games as a kid. I don't feel the need to go back and spend time playing basic 8 bit games. I'd rather spend that time more productive. I want newer and bigger better things. I'm a social gamer, I like gaming with friends and BSing with them while we play. I don't like sitting alone and playing SP much. This gen so far the X1 fits my needs/wants more as a gamer. It doesn't mean it's a preferred brand, who knows maybe in 2016 I'll never touch my X1 and I'll be on my PS4 all the time. IDK I'll have to wait and see. I could care less unless mS or sony wants to pay my bills, then i'll love them and be loyal to them. Until that happens IDGAF to the name brand, but I do still point out when i see blatant ignorance. Your stance on my opinions on gaming is like calling a race war when 2 different races get in a fight w/o realizing it was over a girl and nothing to do with race. You basically pulled a fox news on me. not cool man not cool ;)