Honest non-fanboy question. Why do PS3 exclusives look so amazing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#51 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Halo 4 looks great, but I still give games like God of War 3 and Killzone 3 the edge in graphics, especially in regards to character animations.

emgesp

Fair enough, but it's a matter of opinion.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

It is a known fact that PS3 is more powerful than the 360. Sony's 1st party developers knows the PS3 hardware and knows how to program code for it. Sony must have schooled the hell out of their devs beforehand with their dev kit.

Also, Sony's devs are just better unlike MS.

PAL360

I'm surprised that so many people still eat the 'PS3 is more powerful' myth lol

Any logic explanation for the fact Halo 4 look as good or better than any PS3 exclusive?

It's a shame it does look that good, it really hurts the split screen :P
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 PAL360

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

It is a known fact that PS3 is more powerful than the 360. Sony's 1st party developers knows the PS3 hardware and knows how to program code for it. Sony must have schooled the hell out of their devs beforehand with their dev kit.

Also, Sony's devs are just better unlike MS.

soulitane

Any logic explanation for the fact Halo 4 look as good or better than any PS3 exclusive?

Hmmm...didn't get it, buddy :oops:

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 soulitane

[QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="PAL360"]

PAL360

Frame rate drops, like on complex are a pain, makes it hard to play at times. :P
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 PAL360

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

[QUOTE="soulitane"] It's a shame it does look that good, it really hurts the split screen :Psoulitane

Frame rate drops, like on complex are a pain, makes it hard to play at times. :P

I did beat the game in both, solo and spliscreen coop. Honestly, i didn't have any assue!

Edit: On competitive spllitscreen i did have a few frame drops, but hey, how many PS3 exclusive graphic king contenders have that option?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 soulitane

PAL360

I did beat the game in both, solo and spliscreen coop. Honestly, i didn't have any assue!

I'm talking about multiplayer. I had only a few issues with it in the campaign but that was only when lots is happening at once. The one thing I noticed though is distant textures didn't load and were replaced with the basic models and textures, that didn't bother me though. On complex though, every time I go outside of the buildings the FPS seems to drop to around 20-25 FPS. Maybe it's just my xbox playing up, I don't know. :P
danjin44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#58 danjin44
Member since 2011 • 333 Posts
Art style, level design & color scheme.rjdofu
This, Persona 4 proved that u don't need graphical power in order make your game look good. Just look at the corpse party, that game is more terrifying than most survivor horror this gen.
KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#59 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

This the reason why i think next gen no one will compete with PS4 excluives (360 couldn't this gen xD). The budget and talent these devs at ND, GG, Santa Monica have is just crazy... just thinking about what they will do with PS4 is just beyond anything seen today. Going from a 256mb ram console to 8GB lol

TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

Cash and talented teams.

Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts

This the reason why i think next gen no one will compete with PS4 excluives (360 couldn't this gen xD). The budget and talent these devs at ND, GG, Santa Monica have is just crazy... just thinking about what they will do with PS4 is just beyond anything seen today. Going from a 256mb ram console to 8GB lol

KillzoneSnake
im starting to think the launch lineup for the PS4 will be amazing. FFvs13 (FF15), Agent, Last Guardian, GT6, ND next game, and so many other first party devs.....
emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts
[QUOTE="KillzoneSnake"]

PinnacleGamingP
im starting to think the launch lineup for the PS4 will be amazing. FFvs13 (FF15), Agent, Last Guardian, GT6, ND next game, and so many other first party devs.....

It needs to be amazing for Sony's sake.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 PAL360

[QUOTE="PAL360"]

[QUOTE="soulitane"] Frame rate drops, like on complex are a pain, makes it hard to play at times. :Psoulitane

I'm talking about multiplayer. I had only a few issues with it in the campaign but that was only when lots is happening at once. The one thing I noticed though is distant textures didn't load and were replaced with the basic models and textures, that didn't bother me though. On complex though, every time I go outside of the buildings the FPS seems to drop to around 20-25 FPS. Maybe it's just my xbox playing up, I don't know. :P

No, no, you are right about the textures too, but those are splitscreen exclusive issues. Anyway, what's the point of comparing Halo 4 splitscreen visuals to Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 singleplayer ones?

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

1.Sonys first party is incredible

2.They dont have to worry about fitting their games on a single 9 GB DVD disc.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 soulitane

PAL360

No, no, you are right about the textures too, but those are splitscreen exclusive issues. Anyway, what's the point of comparing Halo 4 splitscreen visuals to Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 singleplayer ones?

I'm not really comparing, never played those games split screen for very long, just making an observation :P
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PinnacleGamingP
[QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="KillzoneSnake"]

emgesp

after the 360 performance this gen, it should be smooth sailing for sony come PS4. theres pretty much no competition
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
I'm surprised the myth that the PS3 is uber-powerful when compared to the 360 still endures
emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 emgesp
[QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"] im starting to think the launch lineup for the PS4 will be amazing. FFvs13 (FF15), Agent, Last Guardian, GT6, ND next game, and so many other first party devs.....

after the 360 performance this gen, it should be smooth sailing for sony come PS4. theres pretty much no competition

What do you mean by 360's performance this gen?
planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 planbfreak4eva
Member since 2006 • 2856 Posts
[QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="emgesp"] It needs to be amazing for Sony's sake.

if ps4 and 720 come out on the same day same price. do you really think 720 will succeed? only reason ps3 was behind is because everyone jumped ship and bought xbox360 cause the people wanted to play next gen consoles and didnt want to wait for a year. even with the price ps3 had, it is neck to neck with 360 in sales. it has been 1 year less on the market. and 1 and half years less everyone else...
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 PinnacleGamingP
[QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="emgesp"] It needs to be amazing for Sony's sake.

it needed batteries for the controller
emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 emgesp

[QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"] after the 360 performance this gen, it should be smooth sailing for sony come PS4. theres pretty much no competitionplanbfreak4eva

if ps4 and 720 come out on the same day same price. do you really think 720 will succeed? only reason ps3 was behind is because everyone jumped ship and bought xbox360 cause the people wanted to play next gen consoles and didnt want to wait for a year. even with the price ps3 had, it is neck to neck with 360 in sales. it has been 1 year less on the market. and 1 and half years less everyone else...

Xbox 360 fans are not going to jump ship and join the Sony crowd if they continue to get the games they want (Halo, Gears, Forza, COD). So, who are all these new people that will suddenly embrace the Playstation on a mass level outside the already initial Sony install base?

PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 PinnacleGamingP
[QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"][QUOTE="emgesp"] What do you mean by 360's performance this gen? emgesp

Xbox 360 fans are not going to jump ship and join the Sony crowd if they continue to get the games they want (Halo, Gears, Forza, COD). So, who are all these new people that will suddenly embrace the Playstation on a mass level outside the already initial Sony fanbase?

its true sts and delta might not get PS4
emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 emgesp
[QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"] if ps4 and 720 come out on the same day same price. do you really think 720 will succeed? only reason ps3 was behind is because everyone jumped ship and bought xbox360 cause the people wanted to play next gen consoles and didnt want to wait for a year. even with the price ps3 had, it is neck to neck with 360 in sales. it has been 1 year less on the market. and 1 and half years less everyone else...PinnacleGamingP
Xbox 360 fans are not going to jump ship and join the Sony crowd if they continue to get the games they want (Halo, Gears, Forza, COD). So, who are all these new people that will suddenly embrace the Playstation on a mass level outside the already initial Sony fanbase?

Excuse my ignorance, but what does sts and delta stand for?
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 PAL360

KillzoneSnake

Again, lol at cows pretending Halo 4 and other 360 games don't exist.

PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 PinnacleGamingP
[QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"][QUOTE="emgesp"] Xbox 360 fans are not going to jump ship and join the Sony crowd if they continue to get the games they want (Halo, Gears, Forza, COD). So, who are all these new people that will suddenly embrace the Playstation on a mass level outside the already initial Sony fanbase?

Excuse my ignorance, but what does sts and delta stand for?

a hollow promise
planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 planbfreak4eva
[QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"][QUOTE="emgesp"] What do you mean by 360's performance this gen? emgesp

not everyone will jump ship, but i beleive many learned the mistake of owning a 360. cod sales are 60/40. so dont worry, people will buy cod on ps3. i can guarantee you that next gen 720 sales, will be half of what 360s are this gen...
emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 emgesp
[QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"] if ps4 and 720 come out on the same day same price. do you really think 720 will succeed? only reason ps3 was behind is because everyone jumped ship and bought xbox360 cause the people wanted to play next gen consoles and didnt want to wait for a year. even with the price ps3 had, it is neck to neck with 360 in sales. it has been 1 year less on the market. and 1 and half years less everyone else...planbfreak4eva

not everyone will jump ship, but i beleive many learned the mistake of owning a 360. cod sales are 60/40. so dont worry, people will buy cod on ps3. i can guarantee you that next gen 720 sales, will be half of what 360s are this gen...

But if they are happy with the Xbox brand then what's the incentive to jump over to Sony? I mean I could understand if 1st Party franchises started to dry up, but that's not happening. What will the PS4 offer outside of it's exclusives that will entice Xbox fans, because if they didn't care for PS3 exclusives, most likely they won't care for PS4's as well.
planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 planbfreak4eva
[QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"][QUOTE="emgesp"] Xbox 360 fans are not going to jump ship and join the Sony crowd if they continue to get the games they want (Halo, Gears, Forza, COD). So, who are all these new people that will suddenly embrace the Playstation on a mass level outside the already initial Sony fanbase?

But if they are happy with the Xbox brand then what's the incentive to jump over to Sony? I mean I could understand if 1st Party franchises started to dry up, but that's not happening. What will the PS4 offer outside of it's exclusives that will entice Xbox fans, because if they didn't care for PS3 exclusives, most likely they won't care for PS4's as well.

look how many new ips came out on ps3. uc, starhawk, warhawk, mag, lbp, mnr, etc etc. so ps4 will have so much to offer...
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

When you look at the specs, especially the ram I just can't understand how it can produce visuals like we see in KZ3, Uncharted 3 and the God of War series. I mean Sony's 1st party developers must be magicians, or something. Even if the PS4 is only 5-6x more powerful than the PS3 I can only imagine what those same devs can do with the extra horsepower. Is the Cell processor really that great compared to the Xenon when developers take advantage of it?

emgesp
Those games are all made by 1st Party subsidiaries that Sony bought. Like Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games and Quantum Dreams. They aren't magician. The 1st Party developers get additional tools and support from Sony when making their games. The 3rd party developers don't get the same kind of tools or assistance. We all know how hard it can be to make PS2 and PS3 games because of Sony's OS and architecture. That's basically the reasons why.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

[QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"] not everyone will jump ship, but i beleive many learned the mistake of owning a 360. But if they are happy with the Xbox brand then what's the incentive to jump over to Sony? I mean I could understand if 1st Party franchises started to dry up, but that's not happening. What will the PS4 offer outside of it's exclusives that will entice Xbox fans, because if they didn't care for PS3 exclusives, most likely they won't care for PS4's as well. planbfreak4eva
look how many new ips came out on ps3. uc, starhawk, warhawk, mag, lbp, mnr, etc etc. so ps4 will have so much to offer...

cod sales are 60/40. so dont worry, people will buy cod on ps3. i can guarantee you that next gen 720 sales, will be half of what 360s are this gen...

I don't think XBox 360 sales in the U.S. will fall off at all. If anything they will increase. After people got burns with Sony's high prices and lies (removing Linux and PS2 support wasn't a bright idea), I'm not sure if Sony can ever dominate in the U.S. like they did with the PS1 and PS2. There are still millions of Halo, Forza, Fable and Gears fans who will flock to the next XBox just to play those games. I think the next XBox will do just fine.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 rilpas

[QUOTE="emgesp"][QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"] if ps4 and 720 come out on the same day same price. do you really think 720 will succeed? only reason ps3 was behind is because everyone jumped ship and bought xbox360 cause the people wanted to play next gen consoles and didnt want to wait for a year. even with the price ps3 had, it is neck to neck with 360 in sales. it has been 1 year less on the market. and 1 and half years less everyone else...planbfreak4eva

rofl

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 emgesp

[QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"][QUOTE="emgesp"] look how many new ips came out on ps3. uc, starhawk, warhawk, mag, lbp, mnr, etc etc. so ps4 will have so much to offer...blackace

cod sales are 60/40. so dont worry, people will buy cod on ps3. i can guarantee you that next gen 720 sales, will be half of what 360s are this gen...

I don't think XBox 360 sales in the U.S. will fall off at all. If anything they will increase. After people got burns with Sony's high prices and lies (removing Linux and PS2 support wasn't a bright idea), I'm not sure if Sony can ever dominate in the U.S. like they did with the PS1 and PS2. There are still millions of Halo, Forza, Fable and Gears fans who will flock to the next XBox just to play those games. I think the next XBox will do just fine.

People keep thinking the 720 is going to turn into a casual box. Actually the majority of casual gamers have switched to playing on their tablets and smartphones. The Wii was a stroke of genius as far as getting casuals and non-gamers interested, but that will likely not happen again with a home console. The Wii U install base will be a majority of hardcore Nintendo fans.
planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 planbfreak4eva

[QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"][QUOTE="emgesp"] Xbox 360 fans are not going to jump ship and join the Sony crowd if they continue to get the games they want (Halo, Gears, Forza, COD). So, who are all these new people that will suddenly embrace the Playstation on a mass level outside the already initial Sony fanbase?rilpas

rofl

quote it then
planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 planbfreak4eva

[QUOTE="blackace"]

[QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"]

cod sales are 60/40. so dont worry, people will buy cod on ps3. i can guarantee you that next gen 720 sales, will be half of what 360s are this gen...emgesp

. People keep thinking the 720 is going to turn into a casual box. Actually the majority of casual gamers have switched to playing on their tablets and smartphones. The Wii was a stroke of genius as far as getting casuals and non-gamers interested, but that will likely not happen again with a home console. The Wii U install base will be a majority of hardcore Nintendo fans.

wii u will only have the nintendo fans. but it will fail miserably in sales. wii was a one trick pony. a rabbit in a hat

planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 planbfreak4eva

[QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"][QUOTE="emgesp"] look how many new ips came out on ps3. uc, starhawk, warhawk, mag, lbp, mnr, etc etc. so ps4 will have so much to offer...blackace

i dont know why americans still buy 360. that is way beyond me. the way the western civilization function just amazes me..oh well...
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"] not everyone will jump ship, but i beleive many learned the mistake of owning a 360. cod sales are 60/40. so dont worry, people will buy cod on ps3. i can guarantee you that next gen 720 sales, will be half of what 360s are this gen...planbfreak4eva

rofl

quote it then

considering casual games are the reason the Wii, DS and Kinect sold as much as it did, it'd be to watch.

but I doubt that in 5 years from now I'll care about what some fanboy said

planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 planbfreak4eva

[QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rofl

rilpas

quote it then

considering casual games are the reason the Wii, DS and Kinect sold as much as it did, it'd be to watch.

fanboy? thanks. i am just predicting, markets shift left and right and with enough knowledge and data. you can find possible outcomes. i tell you this. if kinect never came out, 360s sales would have been so down, it wouldnt even be funny. kinect gave it a push. and a really big one in terms of sales
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"] quote it thenplanbfreak4eva

fanboy? thanks. i am just predicting, markets shift left and right and with enough knowledge and data. you can find possible outcomes. i tell you this. if kinect never came out, 360s sales would have been so down, it wouldnt even be funny. kinect gave it a push. and a really big one in terms of sales

maybe they would, maybe the wouldn't

hopefully one day you'll look back at the things you you're saying today, and facepalm in shame

PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 PinnacleGamingP

rilpas

hopefully one day you'll look back at the things you you're saying today, and facepalm in shame

rilpas is right, your assuming RROD is fixed for next gen, we'll have to wait and see
planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 planbfreak4eva

rilpas

i think we all facepalmed when we thought ps3 would sell like hot cakes. well, what to do. sometimes you are right, sometimes you are wrong. pachter and nostradamus were wrong numerous times. i really doubt they were worried about facepalm
ujjval16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 ujjval16
Member since 2008 • 1669 Posts
The only games that REALLY look better are Killzone, God of War and Uncharted. I think this is due to not only the PS3 being a little more powerful but also because of the way those games are designed. Those games for the most part have close draw distances, and are very "straight forward" so a lot more detail can be put into the environment. A game like Halo sacrifices graphical capabilities for large draw distances, more enemies, lots of vehicles, open environments, and different paths. Not saying that having one path to go down is bad, just that it definitely effects how a game looks.
sora16perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 sora16perfect
Member since 2007 • 730 Posts

PAL360

Edit: On competitive spllitscreen i did have a few frame drops, but hey, how many PS3 exclusive graphic king contenders have that option?

Uncharted 3 has it.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="planbfreak4eva"] fanboy? thanks. i am just predicting, markets shift left and right and with enough knowledge and data. you can find possible outcomes. i tell you this. if kinect never came out, 360s sales would have been so down, it wouldnt even be funny. kinect gave it a push. and a really big one in terms of salesplanbfreak4eva

i think we all facepalmed when we thought ps3 would sell like hot cakes. well, what to do. sometimes you are right, sometimes you are wrong. pachter and nostradamus were wrong numerous times. i really doubt they were worried about facepalm

oh I didn't facepalm, I laughed my ass off.

You'd think sony fanboys such as yourself would have learned some humility by now

planbfreak4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 planbfreak4eva

rilpas

oh I didn't facepalm, I laughed my ass off.

You'd think sony fanboys such as yourself would have learned some humility by now

well i wasnt talking about you, since i can see you are not on sonys side..well if you want, call me a fanboy. i play the games i enjoy, and its not my fault that they are all on ps3..
KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

It's the power of the Cell. Not possible on Xbox 360.

NineTailedGoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 NineTailedGoku
Member since 2012 • 1977 Posts

Because the games are ultra-linear?

Ly_the_Fairy

I doubt it, theyre no less linear than Gears of War so theres something else at play here.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#97 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

FFS the 360 can produce visuals that are just as good. Hitman Ab Solution looks better than any PS3 exclusive and it's on 360.

Halo 4 looks just as good as any PS3 exclusive.

emgesp

Sorry, but Hitman Absolution doesn't look better than KZ3, God of War 3, or Uncharted 2/3.

Why do people still bring these two games up in graphics threads? One is 2 years old and the other is 3 years old. Yes they still look good, but they've been surpassed by numerous games now. Hitman Absolution certainly looks better. And KZ3's visuals are overrated. If you want a good argument for best looking exclusive just use Uncharted 3 (and I still think Hitman looks better on consoles).

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

it needed batteries for the controllerPinnacleGamingP

Are you implying there is no battery used in Sony's controllers :lol:

They work on Cow magic , right ?

Also PS3 exclusives look better because of the invisible Pink Sony glasses some of you grow automatically when forking out the money to buy a PS3 , anyone using their eyes and brain together and with acces to both Consoles would notice they have equally good looking games .

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="emgesp"]

When you look at the specs, especially the ram I just can't understand how it can produce visuals like we see in KZ3, Uncharted 3 and the God of War series. I mean Sony's 1st party developers must be magicians, or something. Even if the PS4 is only 5-6x more powerful than the PS3 I can only imagine what those same devs can do with the extra horsepower. Is the Cell processor really that great compared to the Xenos when developers take advantage of it?

BlbecekBobecek

CELL is more than 3x more powerful than Xenon in terms of GFLOPs (CELL: 230 GFLOPS, Xenon: 77 GFLOPS). Also although the RAM is split, which causes problems with development of multiplats, the XDR RAM (that PS3 has 256 MBs of) is extremely fast. Other factor is that every single PS3 has HDD, which allows to program with HDD in mind (Naughty Dog mentioned this in relation with texture streaming).

Sony werent dumb when they decided to invest so heavily into such space tech (CELL) when introducing PS3, they just expected to dominate the market once again so that most developers will develop exclusively on PS3 and maybe then port their games over to xbox (which would be almost impossible - and Sony was hoping to get exclusivity for most of 3rd party games for that reason), but when they screwed the launch, most devs decided to do the opposite - develop for xbox and then port their games to PS3. And thats what the unique PS3 architecture sucks at.

sony were very dumb developing the CELL, while it's allowed them to keep up with the 360, it hasn't done anything new for anyone. All they managed to do was split the gpu fucntion onto both the cpu and the gpu. Had they invested in a proper GPU that was better than M$'s xbox's gpu they were have easily surpassed the 360 by a wide margin.