Homeworld: Remastered. Release Date+Trailer+Gameplay!

• 64 results
Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Gamespot Reports:

Homeworld Remastered Collection, the bundled remakes of real-time strategy games Homeworld and Homeworld 2, will hit PC on February 25, Gearbox Software announced today during a panel at PAX South.

The collection goes beyond a simple twosome of remakes: within the collection are not only the Homeworld and Homeworld 2 remastered versions, but the original classic versions of both games as well. Additionally, the developers have merged all playable races from both games and added an online multiplayer component called the Homeworld Remastered Steam Multiplayer Beta, a service in live development designed to bring those once played Homeworld online, well, back home.

Getting my hands on a demo build left me a little dazed. The work put into the remastered versions is immediately evident. Edges and textures haven't been smoothed out, they have been completely built anew. The game hardly looks like the 1999 at all, save for familiar situations and the sound. Jagged edges of ships have been replaced with smooth, glistening surfaces, with starlight reflecting differently off painted hulls and bare metal. Projectiles leave trails of smokey whiteness in their wakes. Lasers trace glowing lines of light, tracing paths of annihilation from attacker to target in the darkness. Seeing footage of the original and new versions side-by-side makes the beloved classic look fairly dull compared to its shiny new release.

Homeworld and Homeworld 2 were originally developed by Relic Entertainment. The Vancouver studio was purchased by publisher THQ in 2004, bringing the Homeworld franchise under the THQ banner. When THQ filed for bankruptcy in late 2012, and after a lengthy process of selling off the company's assets it was revealed that Gearbox had acquired the Homeworld IP. At the time, Gearbox promised that whatever Homeworld content it made in the future would strive to retain the game's tone in its "purest form." Since then, it handed developed on the IP over to Blackbird Interactive, a studio formed by ex-Relic employees working on Homeworld's spiritual successor, Shipbreakers.

In that promise, Gearbox has succeed. Homeworld Remastered is the Homeworld of yesteryear in gameplay and scope. In my demo, I attempted to enter the Garden of Kadesh, only to be turned away by its protective forces and immediately thrown into an elaborate battle. Ships were strewn across the screen, like tiny toys floating in an endless ocean of glittering stars. The nebula in the background was a fiery red, glowing white-hot in its center and reaching out into space towards my fleet in wispy pink spirals. I highlighted a handful of my ships, clicked on the nearest enemy carrier, and let the shots fly.

One of my battleships flew over another of my battleships, and I saw the top battleship's shadow pass along the bottom ship. Then to my right, a ship burst, exploding into a red and orange flower of light and flinging debris in all directions. Those clusters of debris remained there through the entire battle, a reminder of a failed defense. "Purest form," indeed; this moment defined my time with Homeworld Remastered, assuring me that Gearbox's collection is more than a re-release with a quick HD coat of paint. The heart of the games themselves have been left untouched and transplanted into a new body--a shiny body that requires you upgrade your PC specs stat.

During voice over recording for Homeworld 2, complications with the Canadian actress who voiced Karan Sjet--your Fleet Intelligence--in the first game, Heidi Ernest, led to her role being recast for the second game. For Homeworld Remastered Collection, Gearbox went back to Ernest and had her record all mothership dialogue for the new Homeworld 2. Additionally, composer Paul Ruskay had the original recording tapes for the soundtrack, allowing Gearbox to re-implement Homeworld's original soundtrack for the collection.

Gearbox appears to have gone beyond the call of duty in bringing us an updated version of Homeworld, rebuilding the entire thing from scratch and unifying the experience through familiar sounds and the promise of online presence.

As for that online presence, the multiplayer beta component features all new networking code and graphics. The beta will be available day and date with the collection's release, but Gearbox wants players to understand that there's still a lot of fine-tuning to be done. With the takedown of the GameSpy servers, there was nowhere the team could go to inform how to setup and balance the multiplayer network. Balancing and tweaking for Homeworld's online multiplayer will be done live, with assistance from players willing to dive in.

We don't often think of studios treating IP with respect when re-releases come around. But it's the only thing I can think of when I look at Gearbox and Blackbird's new Homeworld games. The loving detail that has gone into putting evident battle damage on ship hulls and the smoothness with which ships soar out into the sparkling starry wilderness is hauntingly beautiful. Homeworld and Homeworld 2 are no longer space sim games--they're adventures framed in works of art.

Homeworld Remastered Collection will be available for $34.99, and pre-orders through Steam will knock an addition 15 percent off the final price.

Article by: Alexa Ray Corriea

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/homeworld-remastered-collection-hits-february-25/1100-6424858/

HELL YEAHHH!!!

UPDATE:

Trailer added.

UPDATE 2:

Gameplay added (Thanks @Wasdie)

Here is how the game looked originally (Thanks @uninspiredcup)

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Very good game, nice deal for new players

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Only PC?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Oh cool, does this mean remasters are good again or is it just console remasters that suck?

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

WHAT!!!!????!!! pc remasters?? this is going to sell like shit because as we already know turd race HATES remasters. no way anyone is going to buy this

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

I was beginning to think they were aiming for a Q3-Q4 release.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Only PC?

of course why would in anywhere else

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lawlessx

@Aljosa23 said:

Oh cool, does this mean remasters are good again or is it just console remasters that suck?

certain games should get remastered and brought back to life..borderlands isn't one of those games.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Awesome been waiting for news of a release date

@Blabadon said:

Only PC?

Not heard anything about Homeworld coming to consoles, I may be wrong but I don't think there are any plans for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@lawlessx said:

@Aljosa23 said:

certain games should get remastered and brought back to life..borderlands isn't one of those games.

I don't recall mentioning anything about Borderlands.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cloud_imperium
@Aljosa23 said:

Homeworld was released in 1999. This game deserved a remaster. It's not a game from 1-3 years ago now in better frame rates. I'd love to see original Thief trilogy being remastered but devs will ruin look and feel of those games. Something (hard to point out) makes those games (specially first two) extremely immersive. Homeworld: Remastered is built from scratch and uses new assets, not just better textures and resolution/frame rates.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lawlessx

@Aljosa23 said:

@lawlessx said:

@Aljosa23 said:

was just making a statement.

you'll never catch me saying all remasters suck. to remaster a game that released only afew years ago or a year ago(TLOU) is just pushing it too far. They should stick to remastering classic titles

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58640 Posts

All the young console people should purchase this in order to experience a cinematic game that isn't a barely interactive 4 hour movie. I feel it would enrich there short and little life's considerably.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cloud_imperium
@lawlessx said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@lawlessx said:

was just making a statement.

you'll never catch me saying all remasters suck. to remaster a game that released only afew years ago or a year ago(TLOU) is just pushing it too far. They should stick to remastering classic titles

TBH, 1-3 years old games ported to new consoles aren't even remasters, even if devs advertise them like one. Those are just ports with improvements here and there. Calling them remaster is like, calling PC version of multiplats, "Remaster". GTA V, REmake, Homeworld etc are some of the remasters done right.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Console remasters are just shitty ports of pc games. This is a game that came out before most console gamers existed. Playing such a title will inspire them: as well as pretend pc gamers to aspire towards higher standards.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

There is a difference with Homeworld and Zelda OoT remasters, in which both series are over 10 years old.. The Last of Us "remastered" was released literally 1 year after the original game came out..

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Awesome been waiting for news of a release date

@Blabadon said:

Only PC?

Not heard anything about Homeworld coming to consoles, I may be wrong but I don't think there are any plans for it.

Inless they allowed mouse and keyboard, it would be basically impossible to play Homeworld on a gamepad..

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Amazing games, can't wait to play through them again.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cloud_imperium

@uninspiredcup said:

Looks amazing

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Day one buy

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cloud_imperium

Trailer added.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#23 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

Yeah, I'm still skeptical on this one, given GB's treatment of Duke and Aliens.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Omg February is gonna destroy my wallet....please stop releasing so many games in one month (specially the one that has Valentines day).

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Nothing to be sceptical about, much of the team doing the re-master worked on the originals also they've re-mastered the games not re-written them.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Nothing to be sceptical about, much of the team doing the re-master worked on the originals also they've re-mastered the games not re-written them.

As someone who despises Gearbox as well, they actually didn't do everything on the remaster, they had help from some of the original creators/artists and Relic was the first devs that had their hands on the remaster.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#27  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

@Ballroompirate:

Yeah and I would bet a good chunk of money that Blackbird (which was founded by former Relic devs) worked on this or at least gave considerable input. Gearbox gave them the rights to use "Homeworld" for Shipbreakers, additional funding, and support for their new game so they likely had a hand in the Homeworld remasters.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 45990 Posts

Shouldn't get my hopes up. This is Gearbox after all.

Saying they treat this with love as this is one of their favourite franchises... yeah, those exact words were used for 'Alien' as well...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 uninspiredcup  Online

@GarGx1 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

^

People seem to have forgotten as well how Gearbox handled Halflife as well as a few other ports.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17775 Posts

very cool. i will be buying those games.

any chance of cataclysm also? i loved that game.

thr1llh0us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thr1llh0us
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts

Insta-preorder.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

That before vs after shot looks a little fishy to me, like the old version was running with everything set to low.

I almost want to hunt down my disk to check.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

WHAT!!!!????!!! pc remasters?? this is going to sell like shit because as we already know turd race HATES remasters. no way anyone is going to buy this

It's not just a game that came out 1 year ago with a few extra fps and lines of resolution, Cow.

When we do Remasters,...we really DO remasters.

PC, we do everything better.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

wtf why the hell is PC game makers doing remasters?

devs know the PC community hates this crap right thats a console word

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

never played the original but im gonna get this to see what the hype is all about. looks cool

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#36 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Already preordered the CE on Amazon several months back. I'm pumped.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@ProtossRushX said:

Homeworld and Homeworld 2 do not run well on Windows 7. Installing and running them is difficult and generally old PC games do not have support for modern resolutions, so you end up having to run these games at awkward resolutions and put up with graphical defects. Yes, this is one major issue with running old games on modern PCs. Luckily there are many ways to improve compatibility (re-releases/dos box), but running 90s Windows games can be a pain in the ass if the developer hasn't rebuilt the installer to at least a 16 bit installer. The PC technically has 100% backwards compatibility but in reality a lot of titles will just not work in their original formats and need workarounds or patches by developers to get them running on modern hardware.

There is nothing wrong with remastering old games. Homeworld launched in 1999 with Homeworld 2 following in 2003. They were developed by Relic and THQ owned the IP and sat on it for over 10 years doing nothing. The games were not sold anywhere anymore and they had fallen behind on compatibility with modern OSs.

Apparently one of the higher ups at Gearbox is a massive Homeworld fanboy and was able to utilize his position to secure the rights to Homeworld. Randy Pitchford has already come forward and basically said they aren't making any money on this remaster and re-release. This is purely a product of a fanboy able to revive what everybody thought was lost.

The remaster itself comes in 2 separate forms. The first is the HD facelift. They recompiled the engine in the latest C++ builds and upgraded the renderer to use modern rendering (probably DX9 or DX11). Next they went through and upgraded all of the textures, improved the lighting, added shadows, and improved all of the effects. They also hired the original audio engineer for the game to remaster the audio, cleaning up the original audio and improving on it. This is the HD remaster part of Homeworld 1 and Homeworld 2.

Gearbox also decided to preserve the original game in its original graphics. The only thing they've done to that build of the game is get it compiled in the latest C++ versions, get it running on modern operating systems, tweaking the graphic renderer to support modern resolutions, and implementing Steamworks to replace the WON network which has been dead for nearly a decade. They are releasing this along side of the remaster so people can enjoy the game in its original graphics and audio if they want.

Both versions have been upgraded to Steamworks and utilize Steam for friends lists and multiplayer.

This is an HD remaster/re-release done right and other devs should take note.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lawlessx

@Wasdie said:

@ProtossRushX said:

Homeworld and Homeworld 2 do not run well on Windows 7. Installing and running them is difficult and generally old PC games do not have support for modern resolutions, so you end up having to run these games at awkward resolutions and put up with graphical defects. Yes, this is one major issue with running old games on modern PCs. Luckily there are many ways to improve compatibility (re-releases/dos box), but running 90s Windows games can be a pain in the ass if the developer hasn't rebuilt the installer to at least a 16 bit installer. The PC technically has 100% backwards compatibility but in reality a lot of titles will just not work in their original formats and need workarounds or patches by developers to get them running on modern hardware.

There is nothing wrong with remastering old games. Homeworld launched in 1999 with Homeworld 2 following in 2003. They were developed by Relic and THQ owned the IP and sat on it for over 10 years doing nothing. The games were not sold anywhere anymore and they had fallen behind on compatibility with modern OSs.

Apparently one of the higher ups at Gearbox is a massive Homeworld fanboy and was able to utilize his position to secure the rights to Homeworld. Randy Pitchford has already come forward and basically said they aren't making any money on this remaster and re-release. This is purely a product of a fanboy able to revive what everybody thought was lost.

The remaster itself comes in 2 separate forms. The first is the HD facelift. They recompiled the engine in the latest C++ builds and upgraded the renderer to use modern rendering (probably DX9 or DX11). Next they went through and upgraded all of the textures, improved the lighting, added shadows, and improved all of the effects. They also hired the original audio engineer for the game to remaster the audio, cleaning up the original audio and improving on it. This is the HD remaster part of Homeworld 1 and Homeworld 2.

Gearbox also decided to preserve the original game in its original graphics. The only thing they've done to that build of the game is get it compiled in the latest C++ versions, get it running on modern operating systems, tweaking the graphic renderer to support modern resolutions, and implementing Steamworks to replace the WON network which has been dead for nearly a decade. They are releasing this along side of the remaster so people can enjoy the game in its original graphics and audio if they want.

Both versions have been upgraded to Steamworks and utilize Steam for friends lists and multiplayer.

This is an HD remaster/re-release done right and other devs should take note.

Now if only someone brought back the SWAT series.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@topgunmv said:

That before vs after shot looks a little fishy to me, like the old version was running with everything set to low.

Homeworld 1 does look dated closeup. Still looks okay from a distance though.

Here:

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wasdie  Moderator

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@topgunmv said:

Here:

If you run it at 1080p with forced AA through Nvidia control panel the game looks surprisingly good for a 1999 game.

That said...

Loading Video...

My god.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Love me some homeworld.

Have they announced pricing?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@Wasdie said:

If you run it at 1080p with forced AA through Nvidia control panel the game looks surprisingly good for a 1999 game.

That said...

Loading Video...

My god.

Probably going to be the best remaster around. Probably outdoing Black Mesa, which is a total remake.

Members of the original team have been working on it as well as Gearbox.

Loading Video...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k  Online

@daious said:

Love me some homeworld.

Have they announced pricing?

Yeah it's up on steam now as a prepurchase. Have a look ;)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k  Online

@ProtossRushX said:

PC remasters: very old games being remastered or made sure they work on modern systems and OS

Console remasters: 1 year old games now running in 1080p

I'm not going to act like Sleeping Dogs: Definitive is not on PC and Grim Fandango is not on consoles, but this is how I see it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 uninspiredcup  Online

Exactly. Big difference between a total visual and audio work-over from a 15 year old game compared to one release 12 months ago that is basically a pc port.

The price is pretty dam good as well. At least here in the UK.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Cloud_imperium

@Daious:

Read the last paragraph my friend. It's costs 35 bucks.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 R4gn4r0k  Online

@uninspiredcup said:

Exactly. Big difference between a total visual and audio work-over from a 15 year old game compared to one release 12 months ago that is basically a pc port.

The price is pretty dam good as well. At least here in the UK.

PC remaster: checks your steam account if you already own the original version and gives you a nice discount.

Console remaster: Who cares if you already own TLOU ? You will pay full price again.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Looks like they did an amazing job with it. Definitely going to grab a copy!

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@Wasdie said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@topgunmv said:

Here:

That said...

Loading Video...

My god.

Wow, I'm speechless. This is probably the best remaster I've EVER seen.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Wasdie  Moderator

@Cloud_imperium: It very well be the best remaster of all time. The guys at Gearbox are clearly major fans of the series and Homeworld is an extremely strong game whose gameplay holds up to the best RTSs today. What's great is that Homeworld is pretty light on the art. Instead of having to rebuild entire environments, they can put the vast majority of their efforts into remodeling the ships and effects. Paired with a modern renderer the results are pretty impressive.

The audio improvements blow me away though. I think we're in for a serious audible treat.