Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Everyone else in the fighting game genre, hang your fucking heads in shame!

• Production values through the goddamn ROOF! Holy shit this game looks expensive its not even funny
  • Motion-captured, fully voiced, action movie-like story mode with vast ammounts of non-gameplay dedicated assets because why the **** not!!
  • Top of the line facial animation for character developing story elements.... in a fighting game!!
  • Dedicated ending clips per character even though it has a huge story campaign already
  • Huge stable of collectibles, distributed on a cool oldschool D&D RPG style mode.
  • Super smooth and expertly crafted animations
  • Amazing attention to detail and love for the world and characters, as seen in stuff like fully dedicated dialog between specific fighters
  • Near-perfect performance all around
  • Sleek and super classy UI crawling with details like MK legacy quotes and trivia randomly popping up to amuse people while they wait for matches or just fool around
  • Fighting modes up the ass. Knows how to have fucking fun with itself by throwing us a couple of awesome party modes
  • A genuinely in depth practice/tutorial system
  • Amazing accessibility for newcommers, while still providing a lot of depth for veterans
  • Online Faction Wars and other regularly updated challenges for the online community and the grind/level-up generation.
  • etc, etc

I HATE on disc DLC and microtransaction crap, and while MKX dips its toes in this rancid pool I still love this game and keep getting blown away at how far they went beyond the call of duty, within this genre. Thats how good it is.

The Street Fighter team should be taking a long, LONG look at the barebones crap they pull with their Street Fighter and Capcom VS series. Yes they are excellent fighters mechanically... but that doesnt excuse this depressing looking fucking menu

Eat shit Capcom.

And Namco is starting to look pretty silly right about now too. Why is Soul Calibur getting more boring and empty with each entry you lazy shits?

NetherRealms showing fools how its done! Bra-fucking-vo!

edit: I own the PS4 PAL version btw

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

So you care more about production values and a menu screen than actual good fighting mechanics?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Cool story bro.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Thunderdrone

@bobrossperm said:

So you care more about production values and a menu screen than actual good fighting mechanics?

I didnt know they were mutually exclusive. Or why you believe I dont think MKX has both.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

This isn't really in MKX's favor since there are fighting games that have a much better tutorial. The other major problem with MKX is that the netkode just isn't up to par with other fighting games and that's a huge problem.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Well, it's the first proper 1-on-1 fighting game this gen. Sure there's Killer Instinct, but I don't like the F2P model and force to buy season passes to unlock all characters. Then there's Dead or Alive 5: Last Round coming out, but the series isn't the same without Itagaki-san.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

All I care about are good/deep fighting game mechanics. Something the MK series has always been lacking unless there's been a complete fighting system overhaul that I'm not aware of.

I'll keep my eyes on T7 and hopefully SC6 if the franchise isn't dead. God, it's sad that the Japanese are only beating us at a single genre (not counting creepy dating simulators).

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

I can't stand the typical UE3 character models though. I think the game would look better in Cryengine.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I agree with you that MKX is nice, and bursting with content. But Street Fighter is the holy grail of fighters... what it may lack in bells and whistles it makes up for with tight gaming mechanics and a spot on fighting engine.

MKX fights are fun dont get me wrong, but they are clearly more noob friendly. Street Fighter is like a frame by frame chess match every fight. Love it or hate it... SF remains the king of fighting games.

Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lord_Omikron666

Honestly, I don't agree that MKX is very accessible/noob friendly if that's what you wanna call it. It may seem accessible and easy on the surface, but the cancel window in MKX is very tight so there's an execution barrier to get past unless you're just going to go for the 1 2 3, 1 2 3 into special combos, or maybe just down 2'ing all day. The other problem is that MKX is based on a lot of high low block strings and 50/50 mixups, so unless you learn the matchups you're gonna be on the receiving end of combos.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

Street fighter 5 could just be ultra street fighter 4 again and it still be more fun then mkx

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Lord_Omikron666 said:

This isn't really in MKX's favor since there are fighting games that have a much better tutorial. The other major problem with MKX is that the netkode just isn't up to par with other fighting games and that's a huge problem.

Really? Which ones?

Most fighting games have awful tutorials. MKX teaches you the basics as well as some more advanced stuff, and its all easy to digest.

Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lord_Omikron666

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Lord_Omikron666 said:

Really? Which ones?

Most fighting games have awful tutorials. MKX teaches you the basics as well as some more advanced stuff, and its all easy to digest.

KI

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@Boddicker: They actually did overhaul the fighting mechanics with MK9 and have overhauled it some more with MKX.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@Lord_Omikron666 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Lord_Omikron666 said:

Really? Which ones?

KI

Sure, but again, most fighting games have terrible tutorials...or none at all. MKX might not have the best and most indepth tutorial, but it's still pretty good.

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Boddicker: They actually did overhaul the fighting mechanics with MK9 and have overhauled it some more with MKX.

They've actually been overhauling the series since the beginning. Besides MK 5-7, almost every MK game has had major changes.

Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lord_Omikron666

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Lord_Omikron666 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Lord_Omikron666 said:

Really? Which ones?

KI

Sure, but again, most fighting games have terrible tutorials...or none at all. MKX might not have the best and most indepth tutorial, but it's still pretty good.

MKX's tutorial is alright, it's not the best since it fails to teach certain important mechanics such as teching grabs, but I wasn't saying it's terrible by any means.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#17 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

I love the art direction in this game. Simply stunning. It's hard to believe it's a UE3 title.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Speaking of overhauls, am I the only one that would love to see fighting games like MKX to get the kind of support strategy as something like League of Legends? In which a developer constantly updates and rebalances their game for years in reworking characters, to changing base mechanics? I guess you could argue Street Fighter 4 kind of did that in re-releasing the game several times in new versions with new characters on top of reworked character mechanics/balancing..

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Speaking of overhauls, am I the only one that would love to see fighting games like MKX to get the kind of support strategy as something like League of Legends? In which a developer constantly updates and rebalances their game for years in reworking characters, to changing base mechanics? I guess you could argue Street Fighter 4 kind of did that in re-releasing the game several times in new versions with new characters on top of reworked character mechanics/balancing..

You are right on... Street Fighter is doing this exact thing with all their re-releases. I can see why it rubs people the wrong way... it seems like it should be a free update when compared to LoL. But LoL has a way to get money back thru in game transactions. From the outside Im sure it looks like a cash grab from capcom with lil content except a new fighter or two... but as a fan I find there are enough changes to justify the cost, plus you have to stay with the online community.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Great game with potato servers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59d151f079814

@enzyme36 said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

You are right on... Street Fighter is doing this exact thing with all their re-releases. I can see why it rubs people the wrong way... it seems like it should be a free update when compared to LoL. But LoL has a way to get money back thru in game transactions. From the outside Im sure it looks like a cash grab from capcom with lil content except a new fighter or two... but as a fan I find there are enough changes to justify the cost, plus you have to stay with the online community.

See all they would have to do is sell skins and effects for characters that has no impact on the game to support it.. I mean how freaking sweet would it be with characters who released under powered are now reworked a year later to be competitive? Or that add more features in ranked matches and what not.. Or have a competitive clan mode with tournaments competing for top spot or special rewards such as unique skins or effects on your characters? We are kind of seeing this currently with Killer Instinct with the idea of seasons and the like.. The fighting genre really needs this adaption, it would keep them far more relevant than they are now.. Because currently.. There are only two times fighters get attention from a large crowd.. Either at it's release or during a handful of specific tournaments that happen through the year.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Good game

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I can't decide whether to get this or the Komplete Edition a year from now. What should I do?

Better question, what is included in all the DLC and what am I missing out on as someone who never buys DLC?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Damn...... somebody finaly found a fighting game they love...... I felt the same with DoA and I still do.......

But when it comes down to Gameplay KI is better..... and thats because of one thing....... You don't have to Dial in The Combos in KI.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Yeah the game is filled to the brim with content, and I think the single player mode is fantastic. However, I am disappointed with the online performance, I've had many very laggy matches. Hopefully this will be resolved over time....as it stands, based on my experiences anyways, Killer Instinct destroys MKX when it comes to online play.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

The roster's pretty small though. Even more so when some characters are based off of others.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JangoWuzHere

@Big_Pecks said:

The roster's pretty small though. Even more so when some characters are based off of others.

You have three separate variations for each character.

Quality vs. quantity in this case.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

I like MKX but all the DLC is fucking ridiculous. Some of the new characters were dumb to.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

• Super smooth and expertly crafted animations
  • Near-perfect performance all around
  • Sleek and super classy UI crawling with details like MK legacy quotes and trivia randomly popping up to amuse people while they wait for matches or just fool around
  • Amazing accessibility for newcommers, while still providing a lot of depth for veterans
  • Online Faction Wars and other regularly updated challenges for the online community and the grind/level-up generation.

These are not only shit that MKX can't lay claim to as shit it does exclusively, but shit that it actually does well. The animations have been stiff in the MK franchise, in comparison to the far more fluid animations of a Capcom game. perfect performance? no fighting game worth a damn isn't 60 faps locked, and if we're talking online? MKX has been getting ripped a new one by cats for that shit.

Tutorials? Capcom's poor tutorials in SF4 should not overrule the reality that they've gotten much better with that, Virtua Fighter 5 has excellent teaching tools, ditto for Killer Instinct, Ditto for Soul Calibur, Ditto for Tekken, ditto for King of Fighters 13, etc.

-Accessible while providing depth - If we're going to downplay how accessible Street Fighter or Capcom's outings are because it's not as accessible as something like Smash or MK, then yeah MK gets blasted for a supreme lack of depth. Netherrealms has created some fairly middle tier fighting engines with a variety of balancing issues and fighting engine short comings to go along with a competitive scene that is absolutely boring to watch. Meanwhile Street Fighter at evo? Fucking divine.

-Online Faction War is a product of modern era bullshit where we created this stupid, pointless, no skill representation metagame where you watch a number fill up, as opposed to the only fucking thing that should matter in a game about competition: Who won and who lost. So I'm not wanting some faction war shit in my fighters, I don't want metagames in my shooters, I don't want an unlocking system bullshit. Enough with the participation trophy mentality, i want some old school mentality here. Celebrate the winning, and get shat on if you lose.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

@bobrossperm said:

I didnt know they were mutually exclusive. Or why you believe I dont think MKX has both.

They somewhat are. Final Fantasy is a game with high production values, with every fabric of a character's costume being scrutinized down to the smallest detail, but that has nothing to do with whether the gameplay itself being fun or engaging. This concept extends to every other game. The Order 1886 is another game with superb production values with mediocre gameplay

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jg4xchamp

@jhcho2 said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@bobrossperm said:

They somewhat are. Final Fantasy is a game with high production values, with every fabric of a character's costume being scrutinized down to the smallest detail, but that has nothing to do with whether the gameplay itself being fun or engaging. This concept extends to every other game. The Order 1886 is another game with superb production values with mediocre gameplay

His point being why can't a game have both? The overall point of this thread isn't bad, there is shit MKX does that the other fighting games do well.

The part he's missing is that the reason people scoff at Mortal Kombat is because those games are fundamentally fine in the fighting engine department, they are good, not particularly great games since the MK9 reboot. They are heavily outclassed by way more interesting fighting engines.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: weird logic, you have to pay $60 for mkx and don't get all the characters either

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JangoWuzHere

@jg4xchamp said:

@jhcho2 said:

@Thunderdrone said:

@bobrossperm said:

His point being why can't a game have both? The overall point of this thread isn't bad, there is shit MKX does that the other fighting games do well.

The part he's missing is that the reason people scoff at Mortal Kombat is because those games are fundamentally fine in the fighting engine department, they are good, not particularly great games since the MK9 reboot. They are heavily outclassed by way more interesting fighting engines.

It always seemed really weird for me that the fighting game community will take every opportunity to shit on other franchises that aren't SF or TK. People don't crap on shooters like Halo just because it isn't on the same skill level as CS.

Fighting games are so much smaller then they use to be. The community should embrace new fighting games instead of scoff at them. Trying to downplay MKX just because it isn't as hardcore as SF just seems really absurd.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@FireEmblem_Man: weird logic, you have to pay $60 for mkx and don't get all the characters either

What, getting Jason, Predator, and Goro? Not a problem for me as I can get them for free :P

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

I am hoping they fix the Online.I can't play any good matches cause of the lag and input response times.Still a great fighter just the online has some problems.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu

@JangoWuzHere:

Do you ever get the feeling people love Fighting Games that are more likely to have one sides Battles ?

Like Tekken and its Juggles......

Or games thats only real value is things that are suppose to simple are harder to execute...... like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear ?

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@Lord_Omikron666 said:

Also I didint find the tutorial that in depth. I still think skullgirls has one of the best fighting game tutorials.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@Thunderdrone: MK X is a top notch fighting games and offers so many things as a fighting game is ridiculous. A must have for any serious fighting lover ( or not ) out there.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I decided not to buy it until the Komplete version comes out. I just can't force myself to be okay with buying a game that is inevitably going to be the lesser version to a more definitive version.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jg4xchamp

@JangoWuzHere said:

It always seemed really weird for me that the fighting game community will take every opportunity to shit on other franchises that aren't SF or TK. People don't crap on shooters like Halo just because it isn't on the same skill level as CS.

lolwut? PC elitism was built on the backs of pointing out how Unreal 2k4 and Counterstrike SHAAAAAAAAAAAAT all over Halo from a skill standpoint, it's no different here. It's no different from when RPGcodex talks glowingly about the most nuanced RPG games, and shits on shallow ones. It is what it is.

Do MK9 and X get downplayed a bit too hard for being shallow? Sure, because shallow by itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but people don't know how to separate that some games are just fucking excellent, and others are merely good. Works both ways though in terms of the elitists and the way too soft crowd as well. Regardless it isn't an unfair criticism to hold against MK that its fighting engine has its fair share of short comings, and if I wanted fluff, that's what Thunderdrone's list of shit is. A bunch of fluff, some of it admittedly cool, but the rest of it is totally unimpressive by itself (production value for instance). If I want a quality fighting engine, there are way better alternatives, including a game already on the current gen systems in Guilty Gear Xrd Sign, that games fighting engine is terrific.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#41 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

Watched a stream yesterday where some dude won like 20 online matches in a row spamming the same machinegun combo over and over. What a great fighting game!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lulu_Lulu

@001011000101101:

Well its official then.... the honey moon Period is over.

Time for everybody to go back to their default fighting games.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#43  Edited By k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Good game, much fun

Still prefer street fighter though

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

No tag team, fan favorites unplayable even though they are in campaign, no stage fatalitys, babalities, lack of stages come to mind

Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lord_Omikron666

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Lord_Omikron666 said:

Also I didint find the tutorial that in depth. I still think skullgirls has one of the best fighting game tutorials.

I would say it isn't the worst tutorial, but it really isn't the best, most in-depth tutorial out there. I somewhat remember Skullgirls having a good tutorial, but I will say for certain KI's tutorial outclasses MKX's no contest.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Thunderdrone

Regarding the netcode, I'm speaking from my own experience. PS4, PAL version has been smooth all the way through so far for me.

High Voltage's PC port being shit has no effect on my playtime.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

@bobrossperm said:

^This^

Mortal Kombat X is terrible even on a high end gaming rig. 120 fps can't even save this one. I'm just glad I have Ultra Street Fighter 4 sitting in my Steam library. That's a quality fighting game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59d151f079814

@vtoshkatur said:
@bobrossperm said:

^This^

Mortal Kombat X is terrible even on a high end gaming rig. 120 fps can't even save this one. I'm just glad I have Ultra Street Fighter 4 sitting in my Steam library. That's a quality fighting game.

.. Wait what? First you imply it runs horrible on a high end gaming rig.. But then you say 120 fps can't save it? What?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lulu_Lulu

@Lord_Omikron666:

DoA has a pretty good one too....... and an additional Character Specific Combo Challenge for each character..... kinda like The Street Fighter Trials....... not a bad starting kit for Competitive play.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Although online is silly to try for any fighter considering any lag whatsoever wrecks the entire experience IMHO, Street Fighter's netcode is still far ahead of Mortal Kombat's.

Street Fighter also offers a great deal more depth. Heck, Mortal Kombat X is a downgrade from injustice in that regard.

The animations in Netherrealms games are still incredibly jarring. Everything looks incredibly unnatural.

Street Fighter's teaching tools are crap though. They really need to up their game on that aspect. Hopefully they include something great in StreeT Fighter 5.