Hold On... Are the 360/PS3 gonna out last the Wii-U???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

It seems to me that at this point the 360/PS3 might outlast the Wii-U, that is, have support and games still coming out for them after the Wii-U's game library ends. It takes a few assumptions to reach this conclusion at this point, such as:

-If the NX does come out a year from now as its rumored and it is a console, than it is likely a Wii-U replacement/successor and Nintendo will immediately shift focus to producing games for the NX, which it seems like they have already begun doing after this years E3 (heck it seems Wii-U might lose support way earlier than a year from now given the release schedule, it might be done at the start of 2016). 3rd party is all but dead on Wii-U right now so I doubt they'll support it after NX drops and Nintendo rarely if ever releases games for older systems after the new ones launch, actually Nintendo is worse than that because they tend to abandon their systems a fair amount of time before their new ones launch letting them die out in a final drought.

-Having said that, the PS3 and 360 still have decent release schedules for this year and going into 2016, and its not a stretch at all to imagine games still being released for them (mostly ports from newer systems probably, but support nonetheless) a year from now. I will admit, I'm not to keen on the 360/PS3's release schedule for 2016 so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there.

If the 360/PS3 outlast the Wii-U it would be a truly astounding statement as to those 2 consoles and the actual quality and strategy behind the Wii Brand (both Wii and Wii-U). I mean, the 360/PS3 have already looong outlasted the original Wii and now we're coming up on the possible successor to the Wii-U, NX, and those systems from 2005&06 are still kicking! It would also again raise the question as to what gen the Wii-U truly was a part of (people already seem confused as to what gen NX will be apart of). While Wii-U didn't launch at the same time as the 360/PS3, its posed to die around the same time they do, possibly earlier, and I don't know about others, but for me that is further evidence that it truly was a gen behind the 4/One and NX will be the true competitor to current systems.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

They might.

Actually, that would be fairly funny, albeit not unprecedented- for instance, the SNES and Gameboy both outlasted the Sega Saturn, iirc.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Yes, they almost certainly will, even if only with gimped versions of next gen games, VITA ports, indie titles, etc. Which is just sad for Nintendo.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I don't see the issue. They were making Sega Genesis games until after 2010. Some systems last longer than others.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#5 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

They might.

Actually, that would be fairly funny, albeit not unprecedented- for instance, the SNES and Gameboy both outlasted the Sega Saturn, iirc.

True. But help an old man out, what is "iirc"

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55896 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@charizard1605 said:

They might.

If I Recall Correctly is what it means.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kenakuma

@bunchanumbers said:

I don't see the issue. They were making Sega Genesis games until after 2010. Some systems last longer than others.

If you're talking about Pier Solar, just about every retro console I know about still gets games here and there, most of which are hacks and fan projects.

I wouldn't say that's the same thing as getting support from big publishers like Ubisoft, EA, WB, and such.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 locopatho

@kenakuma said:
@bunchanumbers said:

If you're talking about Pier Solar, just about every retro console I know about still gets games here and there, most of which are hacks and fan projects.

I wouldn't say that's the same thing as getting support from big publishers like Ubisoft, EA, WB, and such.

Of course it isn't, he has to spew garbage to defend Nintendo at all times though. Lol, 360 launched a year ahead of Wii and will be still going after WiiU dies. Ridiculous.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#9 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

@davillain- said:
@cainetao11 said:
@charizard1605 said:

They might.

If I Recall Correctly is what it means.

thanks

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bunchanumbers

@kenakuma said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Even if you don't include that, it was still getting games. Look it up, it was supported well into the middle of the 00s.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kenakuma

@bunchanumbers said:
@kenakuma said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Even if you don't include that, it was still getting games. Look it up, it was supported well into the middle of the 00s.

Ok, I'll take your word for it. So then with that said, what's your point? How does it relate to the topic at hand?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@locopatho: Since Xbox One will be BC soon, I doubt 360 will last any longer since this November will mark Xbox 360 in it's 10th anniversary and I would be glad to see 360 for at least one more year. Bottom line, it's time to discontinue 360 but PS3 is still viable since PS4 isn't BC.

Edit: @cainetao11 No problem :P

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Without a doubt they will. They won't be getting AAA exclusives or anything, but the consoles will still be supported in some way.

On the other hand Nintendo tends to drop support of a console as soon as its successor gets released.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 locopatho

@davillain- said:

@locopatho: Since Xbox One will be BC soon, I doubt 360 will last any longer since this November will mark Xbox 360 in it's 10th anniversary and I would be glad to see 360 for at least one more year. Bottom line, it's time to discontinue 360 but PS3 is still viable since PS4 isn't BC.

That's loco, you are thinking only of people who already have a next gen console. There are 10s of millions of gamers happily playing on 360 and PS3, and many developers WILL still support them. It's great to see.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bunchanumbers

@kenakuma said:
@bunchanumbers said:
@kenakuma said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Ok, I'll take your word for it. So then with that said, what's your point? How does it relate to the topic at hand?

Did you see my OP? Some Systems last longer than others.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:
@kenakuma said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Yeah, it was supported by fans. The last Genesis game actually published was an old Frogger port back in '98.

So what's your point, exactly?

I'm sure I could do some scrounging around and find some goofs who supported the fucking Turbo Grafx 16 for years and years.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kenakuma

@frank_castle said:
@bunchanumbers said:
@kenakuma said:
@bunchanumbers said:

Yeah, it was supported by fans. The last Genesis game actually published was an old Frogger port back in '98.

So what's your point, exactly?

I'm sure I could do some scrounging around and find some goofs who supported the fucking Turbo Grafx 16 for years and years.

You could and you would find it. Just about every system ever created has a dedicated fanbase that still supports it to this day with ports, hacks, fan projects, and homebrew. I think @bunchanumbers has a different definition as what qualifies as making a system "last longer". A defeinition that basically says every system ever made lasts forever. That's not the type of support this thread is about.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Well. The Wii U is going to be dead by late 2016 for sure. When Nintendo drops it, its not like 3nd parties are going to keep it alive lol

I can't see the 360/PS3 living any longer than that either. They will probably all be buried together.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@TrappedInABox91 said:

Well. The Wii U is going to be dead by late 2016 for sure. When Nintendo drops it, its not like 3nd parties are going to keep it alive lol

I can't see the 360/PS3 living any longer than that either. They will probably all be buried together.

Wii-U is dead for 3rd parties, some support from 1st party.

PS360 is dead for 1st parties, yet in a way still receives more 3rd party than Nintendo gives 1st party.

Both situations are on life support, and won't go much beyond 2016. But I bet there are currently still alot more people playing PS3/360 than Wii-U.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

hmm, funny this should be mentioned... Wii U, generation 7.5

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#21 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

The Xbox 360, PS3 have already outlasted the WiiU. The thing is cold dead.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@davillain-: Yes, sure, that's why Gran Turismo 5 DLC and multiplayer were removed merely 3 and half years after its release. If anything, BC will ensure that the legacy of these games will live on because the multiplayer will still be supported even in 10 year old titles like Perfect Dark Zero. Will that translate into prolonged support of 360? I don't know - I think it will but it's guaranteed the legacy games will have full DLC and multiplayer support instead of sloppy streaming seconds without multiplayer.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Nintendo might get back to them (Sony & Microsoft) by releasing a couple of new games for the NES :)

Seriously, we don't know if Nintendo will stop completely) their support on WiiU once their new system will be released. (they probably will but we cannot be 100% sure)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It looks like that could happen.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaVillain  Moderator

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@davillain-: Yes, sure, that's why Gran Turismo 5 DLC and multiplayer were removed merely 3 and half years after its release. If anything, BC will ensure that the legacy of these games will live on because the multiplayer will still be supported even in 10 year old titles like Perfect Dark Zero. Will that translate into prolonged support of 360? I don't know - I think it will but it's guaranteed the legacy games will have full DLC and multiplayer support instead of sloppy streaming seconds without multiplayer.

My point was, MS should just discontinue Xbox 360 mass productions but not shut down 360 live service since that's still being supported and really shouldn't be shut down anyways. I mean, does MS really need to continue mass produce Xbox 360? Everyone in the whole planet should have one by now and like I said, they had 10 years to own one and hack, you can find bunch of used Xbox 360 in the black markets if anyone really wants one.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

isnt the wii stilll being sold?

wii gets skylanders and just dance every year.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

wow. now that you mention, it might be possible lol!

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

And still no wiiu price drop...

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

isnt the wii stilll being sold?

wii gets skylanders and just dance every year.

I thought that Nintendo stop manufacture the Wii while back already.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The PS3 might outlast the Wii U. If Nintendo launches NX in November 2016 and PS3 lasts until 2017. Then yes PS3 could indeed still be on the market. While Wii U is gone. Xbox 360 might not outlast Wii U, if so maybe by only 5 weeks or so. PS3 has a greater chance.

PS3 is at 86.4 million so it might just barely reach 100 million sold. At the same time outlasting the Wii U at retail. The NX will be launching sooner than expected. So November 2016 might see the NX.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

As scary as it sounds, it might. It already runs last gen, and cross gen games better. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it makes Sony/MS more money than what the wiiu does for Nintendo.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33097 Posts

@Megavideogamer said:

The PS3 might outlast the Wii U. If Nintendo launches NX in November 2016 and PS3 lasts until 2017. Then yes PS3 could indeed still be on the market. While Wii U is gone. Xbox 360 might not outlast Wii U, if so maybe by only 5 weeks or so. PS3 has a greater chance.

PS3 is at 86.4 million so it might just barely reach 100 million sold. At the same time outlasting the Wii U at retail. The NX will be launching sooner than expected. So November 2016 might see the NX.

The PS3 is only selling 2-3 million per year now. It's very unlikely it will ever 100 million units.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@super600 said:
@Megavideogamer said:

The PS3 is only selling 2-3 million per year now. It's very unlikely it will ever 100 million units.

yea..anyone who think 360 or ps3 will ever come close to the wii is delusional.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It looks like it. Though to be fair, it's only because publishers are still putting games on those consoles and not on WiiU.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts

@ultimateimp said:

The Xbox 360, PS3 have already outlasted the WiiU. The thing is cold dead.

Chronogos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Chronogos
Member since 2014 • 386 Posts

@kenakuma: The PS1 outlasted the GGN, js....