History Says the 3DS is Doomed

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by Wiimotefan (4094 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wiimotefan"]

[QUOTE="I_Even_Lift"] I would bump more as there are PLENTY more where this came from. But people seemed to get kind of mad that I bumped this one. :( Just search "3DS doomed" in the forum search and you will have your lulz.I_Even_Lift

We arent supposed to bump old threads here.  

I think its a dumb rule because  

1.  There is so much gold hidden in these old topics.  Like a time capsule of ownage.

2.  If they really dont want inactive threads bumped they should have the threads lock after a certain amount of time like many other sites that actually have their sh*t together.

But dats da rules mane.

Sheesh, that is dumb. I glanced over the rules thread and didnt see anything about bumping older topics.

You'll find that very few things make sense here.  From the things that people post, to the way the board is run, its a cluster f*ck.

Another example.  We go for long stretches with no real news and nothing to discuss.  You get the same pointless threads over and over again, often times from the very same people.

But when there is a big new announcement, or even worse, a huge gaming show like E3, they try to shoe horn it all into a single thread.  FOR NO F*CKING REASON!  Yes the board will be cluttered, but so what?  We have so much to discuss now, so lets force it all into one thread so nothing can actually be discussed properly.  Yes, that's a brilliant idea.

Sorry for the rant.

Welcome to System Wars.  This place is miserable, but strangely addictive.

#102 Posted by moistsandwich (0 posts) -

The high quality games released and the ones coming for it say you're wrong.

The high sales just stopped in a moment ago as well, he said I should tell you, "you're an idiot"

#103 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25155 posts) -

Maybe we should think twice before we write off the Wii U?

#104 Posted by Epak_ (6815 posts) -

The high quality games released and the ones coming for it say you're wrong.

The high sales just stopped in a moment ago as well, he said I should tell you, "you're an idiot"

moistsandwich

Come on man, how could have he known that two years ago? Oh wait...

#105 Posted by Microsoft1234 (7674 posts) -

correlation=/=causation. (a price drop isn't the indication of failure, but it is a common trait the 4 share) In fact the 3ds price drop helped it immensely.....

edit: also OP is eating his crow... LOL

#106 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Lol just realized how old this topic is.

#107 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34179 posts) -

For once this is a meaningful, funny bump.

#108 Posted by freedomfreak (41492 posts) -
TailBlood:  How times have changed
#109 Posted by ImJESUS-PROam (337 posts) -

History also said that every Nintendo handheld has succeeded.

DSmon
The Vitual Boy and the Gameboy Light succeeded?
#110 Posted by King_Dodongo (3336 posts) -

:lol:

I love old threads like these.  Its going to be a repeat with the Wii U.

Wiimotefan
#111 Posted by Game_Guy567 (3427 posts) -

wait a minute, who used the Phoenix down on this thread?bbkkristian
lol

#112 Posted by clr84651 (5515 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wiimotefan"]

King_Dodongo

Nintendo doesn't win them all. They were lucky with the DS. 

#113 Posted by Blabadon (27229 posts) -
I love this thread.
#114 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27272 posts) -

[QUOTE="King_Dodongo"][QUOTE="Wiimotefan"]

clr84651

I'm positive I didn't hear that right.

#115 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27272 posts) -

Maybe we should think twice before we write off the Wii U?

SaltyMeatballs

And how many people in System Wars are going to listen to that?

#116 Posted by ImJESUS-PROam (337 posts) -

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

[QUOTE="King_Dodongo"]nintendoboy16

I'm positive I didn't hear that right.

They were, it was a ris gimmick, they eneded up killing the Gameboy line (Which even they did not really want to do) and it made it. Also Virtual boy and Gameboy light failed.
#117 Posted by hrah (1372 posts) -

lol timstuffI_Even_Lift

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Why is it always low level users bumping old threads

#118 Posted by Drasonak (1509 posts) -
History also states that women get no justice for the wrongful acts committed against them... And look where we're heading now. The attitude towards things change over time. History can lend some insight into how the population is going to react sometimes, but there's no telling for sure with how much we're constantly evolving socially.
#119 Posted by lundy86_4 (43754 posts) -

Ok. Yet, shockingly, the 3DS is absolutely  killing  it.

#120 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
The N64 and GC were profitable for Nintendo. And then there was the Wii and DS which are surprisingly left out of your incredibly huge waste-of-time graphics.
#121 Posted by milannoir (1563 posts) -

Reading this thread, suddenly reminded me of AtarikX. Has anyone seen him posting lately? If not, do you think he ate his computer and vowed never to come to these forums again, or do you believe he's posting under a different name?

#122 Posted by charizard1605 (58985 posts) -

Reading this thread, suddenly reminded me of AtarikX. Has anyone seen him posting lately? If not, do you think he ate his computer and vowed never to come to these forums again, or do you believe he's posting under a different name?

milannoir
He logs on every now and then, laughs at the Wii U, and goes off.
#123 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11960 posts) -

lol timstuffI_Even_Lift

He lifts threads out of the grave.

#124 Posted by Kaszilla (1718 posts) -

milannoir
He posted on my anti wii u thread
#125 Posted by scoots9 (3222 posts) -

I thought this thread looked straight out of 2011 and then I looked at the date. Bravo to whoever bumped this.

#126 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -
The price drop on the 3DS was a necessary move. It improved sales and the 3DS now seems to have a large catalog of games. While I don't own a 3DS, I know a lot of people who do and they really like the system.
#127 Posted by I_Even_Lift (57 posts) -

[QUOTE="I_Even_Lift"]lol timstuffhrah

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Why is it always low level users bumping old threads

I didn't know it was against the rules when I did it.
#128 Posted by Mario1331 (8826 posts) -

30 million says what.....

#129 Posted by I_Even_Lift (57 posts) -

Mario1331
Has it really sold 30 mil? Thats impressive!
#130 Posted by Mario1331 (8826 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

I_Even_Lift

sure did since december 2012

#131 Posted by charizard1605 (58985 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

I_Even_Lift

Nearer 32 million now
#132 Posted by Mario1331 (8826 posts) -

[QUOTE="I_Even_Lift"][QUOTE="Mario1331"]

charizard1605

Nearer 32 million now

straight beasting

#133 Posted by charizard1605 (58985 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="I_Even_Lift"] Has it really sold 30 mil? Thats impressive!Mario1331

Nearer 32 million now

straight beasting

And people said it would be doomed. Hah.
#134 Posted by Heil68 (45799 posts) -
Who in their right mind would buy a 3ds. Lol handhelds.
#135 Posted by heeweesRus (5609 posts) -

DSmon

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLUj_dbKNY0FLKwKoUHTb

#136 Posted by charizard1605 (58985 posts) -

[QUOTE="DSmon"]

heeweesRus

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLUj_dbKNY0FLKwKoUHTb

Not a handheld, except for on a sheer technicality.
#137 Posted by I_Even_Lift (57 posts) -

[QUOTE="DSmon"]

heeweesRus

Exception to the rule bro.
#138 Posted by loosingENDS (11868 posts) -

Who in their right mind would buy a 3ds. Lol handhelds.Heil68

Anyone that wants the best JRPG since FF9 days (Bravely Default)

And Zelda of course, plus a huge number of quality JRGPs and exclusives

And 3D without glasses

And portability

That is, every single gamer eventually

#139 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -
No way 3DS is doomed because it has awesome games
#140 Posted by Link3301 (1708 posts) -

I honestly don't get why people call the Gamecube a failure when it was barely behind the Xbox.

#141 Posted by charizard1605 (58985 posts) -

I honestly don't get why people call the Gamecube a failure when it was barely behind the Xbox.

Link3301
Xbox was also a failure
#142 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

This bumped thread is still unlocked?

#143 Posted by charizard1605 (58985 posts) -

This bumped thread is still unlocked?

thom_maytees
When it is providing reasonable discussion, what impetus is there to lock it?
#144 Posted by vashkey (33754 posts) -
The N64 and Gamecube were failures? Granted, they weren't the most successful platforms of their time but I think calling them failures is going a bit far. And calling the 3DS a failure is is just flat out stupid. It's nearly sold thirty million units.
#145 Posted by charizard1605 (58985 posts) -
[QUOTE="vashkey"]The N64 and Gamecube were failures? Granted, they weren't the most successful platforms of their time but I think calling them failures is going a bit far. And calling the 3DS a failure is is just flat out stupid. It's nearly sold thirty million units.

Thread is nearly two years old.
#146 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Oh ho ho, how things have changed.

#147 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5999 posts) -

clr84651

Some things you dont even expect the biggest fanboys to say.

SW knows no bounds.

#148 Posted by mems_1224 (47464 posts) -

This is series business, even though the Nintendo loyal are obviously going to put a positive spin on it. The only way I can really see the 3DS having been a hit is if they'd released it right after Avatar came out, and launched it with several must-have games. The problem is that Nintendo made the 3DS as a reaction to the 3D fad, and by the time they were able to get it out the door the format was already in decline, coupled with the fact that many people who made the DS a hit had moved on to the casual games available for iPhone on the App store. To make matters worse, the 3DS's library is a joke right now, and even getting the hardcore gamers to buy it is difficult.

I know this sounds harsh, but the 3DS was a recipe for disaster:

1. No big exclusives at launch
  2. Main feature is a gimmick appealing to a fad
  3. High price tag at launch for what you get

Even with the PS Vita, Sony is hedging their bets by also making a Playstation-branded phone. Nintendo on the other hand did not really do enough to position the 3DS as the be-all-end-all of portable devices since it still has a low-resolution screen which is fairly small by modern standards, given the size of the unit. The biggest problem though is that the system just doesn't have the GAMES it needs to get people's attention, and that is not something Nintendo can fix overnight. Even if Ocarina of Time 3D had been ready for launch, the fact remains that it is still a glorified port, and re-releases and remakes don't move hardware.

There's not really much left to say. The 3DS was conceptually bad IMO, and Nintendo only made things worse by completely botching the launch by releasing it before they had any worthwhile exclusives or even half the system's features in place. It's not too late for them to make money off of the system, but it makes sense that Nintendo's headquarters are in a state of emergency right now. Nintendo has only had one failed portable in their entire history, and it would be a huge embarassment if they had a second one that came hot off the heels of their most successful system ever-- not to mention a serious financial blow.

Timstuff
:lol: :lol: :lol:
#149 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5999 posts) -

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]

This is series business, even though the Nintendo loyal are obviously going to put a positive spin on it. The only way I can really see the 3DS having been a hit is if they'd released it right after Avatar came out, and launched it with several must-have games. The problem is that Nintendo made the 3DS as a reaction to the 3D fad, and by the time they were able to get it out the door the format was already in decline, coupled with the fact that many people who made the DS a hit had moved on to the casual games available for iPhone on the App store. To make matters worse, the 3DS's library is a joke right now, and even getting the hardcore gamers to buy it is difficult.

I know this sounds harsh, but the 3DS was a recipe for disaster:

1. No big exclusives at launch
  2. Main feature is a gimmick appealing to a fad
  3. High price tag at launch for what you get

Even with the PS Vita, Sony is hedging their bets by also making a Playstation-branded phone. Nintendo on the other hand did not really do enough to position the 3DS as the be-all-end-all of portable devices since it still has a low-resolution screen which is fairly small by modern standards, given the size of the unit. The biggest problem though is that the system just doesn't have the GAMES it needs to get people's attention, and that is not something Nintendo can fix overnight. Even if Ocarina of Time 3D had been ready for launch, the fact remains that it is still a glorified port, and re-releases and remakes don't move hardware.

There's not really much left to say. The 3DS was conceptually bad IMO, and Nintendo only made things worse by completely botching the launch by releasing it before they had any worthwhile exclusives or even half the system's features in place. It's not too late for them to make money off of the system, but it makes sense that Nintendo's headquarters are in a state of emergency right now. Nintendo has only had one failed portable in their entire history, and it would be a huge embarassment if they had a second one that came hot off the heels of their most successful system ever-- not to mention a serious financial blow.

mems_1224

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoken with so much authority too.  What a douche.

And the best part is hes talking the same exact sh*t with the Wii U.