Highly likely final Xbox Specs not final???

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#-49 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3760 posts) -
Its highly unlikely that xbox720 will go from ddr3 to ddr5 this late in the game. Its really unlikely.
#-48 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3760 posts) -

[QUOTE="me3x12"]

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

Caught you before you deleted! Why are you so sure?

StrongBlackVine

Meant PS4 forgive me this time next year I'll have PS4 in my head still hard to not default to PS3 lol

Confirmed this guy has an alt account named clr84651. Kinda lame you you need multiple account to talk on a forum.

The crazy fanboy lemmings are the worst with the alt accounts on this forums.
#-47 Posted by o0squishy0o (2764 posts) -

All of this and I can't help but think you could probably build a just as abled PC for £500. Pretty sure you can get some awesome super micro-atx boards.

#-46 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

All of this and I can't help but think you could probably build a just as abled PC for £500. Pretty sure you can get some awesome super micro-atx boards.

o0squishy0o

When the specs are released you price it out and let us know. Also factor in optimization.

#-45 Posted by AdobeArtist (22945 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Yes please make the tne next Xbox $500 or higher....unless M$ is ready to eat some major losses they are stuck with an inferior machine.

StrongBlackVine

If the PS4 aims to match the pricepoint of the X720 (so say $400 or less) won't that make it just as "inferior"?

Not unless you want an "entertainment center" and not gaming console. The extra money Microsoft wasted making Kinect 2.0 mandatory is money that Sony put into the core hardware. So unless you really value voice controls and movement tracking in your games the PS4 is the much better value at the same price.

Fair point. But everything I've heard so far (and haven't seen every single "leak" posted on the forums), even if just rumor, has suggested more similarity than disparity between the two rivals. Again IF the rumors are true, both having an 8 core CPU, 8 GB RAM, and the GPU's having been made by AMD under similar specs. So what's this "advantage" PS4 has under the hood?

#-44 Posted by ronvalencia (15130 posts) -

We all need to slow down and consider things a bit more before we think MS is just already final and can't make some mods and tweaks. Not that I trust everything Michael Patcher says but he thinks so also. He was saying on his show last week he honestly feels MS can and will make some final adjustments to make the Xbox more powerful before release.

Basically if MS want's they can change the DDR3 to the faster DDR5 or even if they stay with DDR3 they might up it from 8GB to 12GB ram just to give the Xbox some more flexibility developers would love that. Also the report 32MB embedded ram to help give the current DDR3 ram a performance boost and make the CPU and GPU respond faster they might up that to 64MB. There is all kind of little tweaks that can and honestly most likely will happen. I think MS is prepared for this. They might even up the CPU speed from 1.6 to who knows maybe 2.0mhz or something. MS has enough time and i think they have planned this and have some flexibility with things like this.

me3x12

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/29/amd_jaguar_core_design/

Note that AMD Jaguars FPU's "double pump" mode could result in 3.2Ghz FPU from 1.6Ghz CPU.

#-43 Posted by ronvalencia (15130 posts) -
Its highly unlikely that xbox720 will go from ddr3 to ddr5 this late in the game. NEWMAHAY
AMD GCN's memory controllers can support either DDR3 (e.g. Radeon HD 7730M) or GDDR5. GDDR5 is based on DDR3 i.e. DDR3 not the same as GDDR3. GDDR3 is based on DDR2.
#-42 Posted by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

Let me add this as a potential positive for MS and I bet MS knows this. MS owns the Direct X 11 app and they can and will release softare updates for direct X 11 on the 720 and as most PC gamers know direct X 11 is what fuels graphics kings on PC. So MS does have some software apps advantages when it comes to graphics for 720 that might end up being a sleeper advantage.

#-41 Posted by ronvalencia (15130 posts) -
Can they make some tweak, sure. Changing ram type is unlikely. They would have to have agreements in place by now for the DDR3, and it would likely be both a delay and an heavy expense boost to change at this point (assuming they are planning a 2013/early 2014 release). Changing Ram amount, yes, they could do that, but it seems unlikely as they already have more, and more won't really help much. Their issue isn't amount of Ram, it is the speed of access of said Ram. Changing the embedded ram, no. It is embedded so that is go back to the drawing board level change, they aren't going to be doing that at this point (likewise you won't see them change GPU or CPU at this point). Overclock the CPU/GPU, maybe, but that would be risky on the hardware's durability. They likely already have a lot of people wary of buying in due to 360's issues, if they repeat they could seriously hurt sales, especially as they don't have the timing advantage this time. DerekLoffin
Designs for DDR3 (e.g. Radeon HD 7730M) and GDDR5 (e.g. Radeon HD 7750) for GCN already exist in the PC world.
#-40 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3760 posts) -

Let me add this as a potential positive for MS and I bet MS knows this. MS owns the Direct X 11 app and they can and will release softare updates for direct X 11 on the 720 and as most PC gamers know direct X 11 is what fuels graphics kings on PC. So MS does have some software apps advantages when it comes to graphics for 720 that might end up being a sleeper advantage.

me3x12
Do you actually know what your talking about?
#-39 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

If the PS4 aims to match the pricepoint of the X720 (so say $400 or less) won't that make it just as "inferior"?

AdobeArtist

Not unless you want an "entertainment center" and not gaming console. The extra money Microsoft wasted making Kinect 2.0 mandatory is money that Sony put into the core hardware. So unless you really value voice controls and movement tracking in your games the PS4 is the much better value at the same price.

Fair point. But everything I've heard so far (and haven't seen every single "leak" posted on the forums), even if just rumor, has suggested more similarity than disparity between the two rivals. Again IF the rumors are true, both having an 8 core CPU, 8 GB RAM, and the GPU's having been made by AMD under similar specs. So what's this "advantage" PS4 has under the hood?

We will find out about the PS4, but one major difference the PS4 supposed has 4 GB of DDR5 RAM with 512MB devoted the OS while the Xbox will have 8GB of much slower DDR3 RAM with 3 GB devoted to the OS. So the PS4 will have a huge advantage there. I have also seen it rumored that PS4 has extra 4 cores for discrete processing in addition to the 8 core CPU. IF all that is true it isn't even really close.

#-38 Posted by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

Yes please make the tne next Xbox $500 or higher....unless M$ is ready to eat some major losses they are stuck with an inferior machine.

StrongBlackVine

The latest info on kinct 2.0 suggest it's far better then the current Kinect and can support up to 6 players this would make for some fun 6 player party game nights for sure. Either way it's going to be a huge improvement over the current Kinect and I don't think we are gonig to see the system focused solely around Kinect what I do this though is we may see some hardcore games now actually work and be fairly decet if designed for Kinct now.

#-37 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="me3x12"]

NEWMAHAY

Do you actually know what your talking about?

:lol:

#-36 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

me3x12

The latest info on kinct 2.0 suggest it's far better then the current Kinect and can support up to 6 players this would make for some fun 6 player party game nights for sure. Either way it's going to be a huge improvement over the current Kinect and I don't think we are gonig to see the system focused solely around Kinect what I do this though is we may see some hardcore games now actually work and be fairly decet if designed for Kinct now.

How often will you have SIX people playing kinect? Do you have a party every weekend or something.
#-35 Posted by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

StrongBlackVine

We will find out about the PS4, but one major difference the PS4 supposed has 4 GB of DDR5 RAM with 512MB devoted the OS while the Xbox will have 8GB of much slower DDR3 RAM with 3 GB devoted to the OS. So the PS4 will have a huge advantage there. I have also seen it rumored that PS4 has extra 4 cores for discrete processing in addition to the 8 core CPU. IF all that is true it isn't even really close.

So basically just like with PC's you could say PS4 will be able to do say Ultra graphics on games and 720 can do very high graphics on games and what do we have:roll: Nothing both games looking great with one slightly more detailed but hardly noticable.

#-34 Posted by ronvalencia (15130 posts) -

The eDRAM is not enough. It makes sense because it goes generally with the leaps each generation : Gamecube - 3mb's, 360 - 10mb's, Xbox 720 - 32 mb's... Except Wii U also has 32mb's, Wii U has an abundance of eDRAM. 720 needs an abundance as well or it's going to be bottlenecked, 32mb's will not be enough with DDR3. Although, 720 uses eSRAM which is a lot faster than Wii U's eDRAM, so we'll see.

Ps4 is definitely going to be the beast of the generation regardless.

Chozofication

For multiple lights, they to shift towards AMD's Forward Plus renderer i.e. shifting the burden from memory to compute.

#-33 Posted by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

[QUOTE="me3x12"]

Animal-Mother

How often will you have SIX people playing kinect? Do you have a party every weekend or something.

No but I used to miss those days:lol:

#-32 Posted by AdobeArtist (22945 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

StrongBlackVine

When you say DDR5, are you talking about system memory or GPU memory? Because even in top spec PCs, the only type of system memory is DDR3, where DDR5 is only found in GPU memory. It looks  to me like some kind of mix up in the data :question:

#-31 Posted by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

StrongBlackVine

You make it out like it's the PS4 going againts the WiiU LOL it's not going to be nearly that bad both systems are going to be powerful and both will CRUSH the WiiU in power either way.

#-30 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]They will be release around the same time, they should be pretty close in power. Neither is going to want to let the other release a console that makes theirs look weak. In that case Microsoft has the advantage. Just like they doubled the ram on the 360 they could easily up the specs on the next Xbox. Difference between Sony and Microsoft is that Microsoft could afford to eat bigger loses than Sony. Sony isn't going to want to get into a @#$% measuring contest with Microsoft.clr84651

MS wont outdo Sony. They will not want to spend extra and not have it make much of a difference in sales as Sony did with PS3. It's more about each company having their console appeal to the masses while keeping the hardware upgrades at an affordable rate. 

All Microsoft has to do is match them and that will cancel out the power argument. If Microsoft wants to out do Sony, they will. The hardware from both is outsourced from the same company, it's all going to come down to who is willing and able to throw down more and we all know who that is.
#-29 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9485 posts) -

Keep this in mind. They have to pay millions of dollars in research and manufacturing contracts. Adding things last minute doesn't automatically make the system better and costs money AND time. Plus you shouldn't have to change your system/vision because a competitor comes out with something "better" because you should have already factored that possibility into your project and decision making.

EDIT - Thats not to say these rumors are true but its pretty much too late for any drastic change. Even something like going from DDR3 to DDR5 would be a pain. Maybe clock speed changes, better sku's, revising gameplan/marketing etc. 

#-28 Posted by lamprey263 (24232 posts) -
I don't see them doing much to upgrade specs considering there's the cost of the mandatory Kinect involved. They'd have to drop that to make room for improvement.
#-27 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

AdobeArtist

When you say DDR5, are you talking about system memory or GPU memory? Because even in top spec PCs, the only type of system memory is DDR3, where DDR5 is only found in GPU memory. It looks  to me like some kind of mix up in the data :question:

I meant GDDR5 for the PS4 and while the next Xbox has slower DDR3 memory.

#-26 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="clr84651"]

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]They will be release around the same time, they should be pretty close in power. Neither is going to want to let the other release a console that makes theirs look weak. In that case Microsoft has the advantage. Just like they doubled the ram on the 360 they could easily up the specs on the next Xbox. Difference between Sony and Microsoft is that Microsoft could afford to eat bigger loses than Sony. Sony isn't going to want to get into a @#$% measuring contest with Microsoft.fernandmondego_

MS wont outdo Sony. They will not want to spend extra and not have it make much of a difference in sales as Sony did with PS3. It's more about each company having their console appeal to the masses while keeping the hardware upgrades at an affordable rate. 

All Microsoft has to do is match them and that will cancel out the power argument. If Microsoft wants to out do Sony, they will. The hardware from both is outsourced from the same company, it's all going to come down to who is willing and able to throw down more and we all know who that is.

Just because M$ has the money it doesn't mean they will spend it. They have a casual focus now...

#-25 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="clr84651"]

StrongBlackVine

Just because M$ has the money it doesn't mean they will spend it. They have a casual focus now...

If there is anything that MS has proven is that they are willing to throw down. Like I said, all they have to do is match Sony and unless Sony will be taking massive loses neither will Microsoft.
#-24 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]All Microsoft has to do is match them and that will cancel out the power argument. If Microsoft wants to out do Sony, they will. The hardware from both is outsourced from the same company, it's all going to come down to who is willing and able to throw down more and we all know who that is.fernandmondego_

If there is anything that MS has proven is that they are willing to throw down. Like I said, all they have to do is match Sony and unless Sony will be taking massive loses neither will Microsoft.

If Microsoft matches Sony they WILL be be taking massive losses because Sony didn't waste money on Kinect 2.0 being mandatory.

#-23 Posted by osirisx3 (1820 posts) -

why do console gamers care about specs? It will just be dated in a year or two.

#-22 Posted by DerekLoffin (8790 posts) -
[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"]Can they make some tweak, sure. Changing ram type is unlikely. They would have to have agreements in place by now for the DDR3, and it would likely be both a delay and an heavy expense boost to change at this point (assuming they are planning a 2013/early 2014 release). Changing Ram amount, yes, they could do that, but it seems unlikely as they already have more, and more won't really help much. Their issue isn't amount of Ram, it is the speed of access of said Ram. Changing the embedded ram, no. It is embedded so that is go back to the drawing board level change, they aren't going to be doing that at this point (likewise you won't see them change GPU or CPU at this point). Overclock the CPU/GPU, maybe, but that would be risky on the hardware's durability. They likely already have a lot of people wary of buying in due to 360's issues, if they repeat they could seriously hurt sales, especially as they don't have the timing advantage this time. ronvalencia
Designs for DDR3 (e.g. Radeon HD 7730M) and GDDR5 (e.g. Radeon HD 7750) for GCN already exist in the PC world.

And your point is? I never claimed they didn't. My issue wasn't with getting the chips to work, it was getting the chips in the first place.
#-21 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

why do console gamers care about specs? It will just be dated in a year or two.

osirisx3

We may not be nerds like you, but we want a system that will be significant jump from the previous generation. 1080p, 60fps is the what we want. Doesn't matter if it is cutting edge. Tech is always changing, but you have buy at some with any electronic device.

#-20 Posted by lundy86_4 (43549 posts) -

If Microsoft matches Sony they WILL be be taking massive losses because Sony didn't waste money on Kinect 2.0 being mandatory.

StrongBlackVine

Rumours? Dude, no.

#-19 Posted by Tessellation (8803 posts) -

the ram won't be touched, redesigning the bus is not going to be easy n cheap,what we don't know how that DDR3 setup works.

#-18 Posted by AznbkdX (3226 posts) -

Highly... likely... final specs not final?

What does that mean? They are either final or not. Of course they're not final if they are not final.:P

#-17 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5422 posts) -
Oh, it's you. *Leaves thread*
#-16 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

StrongBlackVine

No they wont.
#-15 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

Highly... likely... final specs not final?

What does that mean? They are either final or not. Of course they're not final if they are not final.:P

AznbkdX
I could only assume he means that the specs are not finalized.
#-14 Posted by Vatusus (4699 posts) -

l@l

lems are getting desperate... :twisted:

#-13 Posted by ronvalencia (15130 posts) -
[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="DerekLoffin"]Can they make some tweak, sure. Changing ram type is unlikely. They would have to have agreements in place by now for the DDR3, and it would likely be both a delay and an heavy expense boost to change at this point (assuming they are planning a 2013/early 2014 release). Changing Ram amount, yes, they could do that, but it seems unlikely as they already have more, and more won't really help much. Their issue isn't amount of Ram, it is the speed of access of said Ram. Changing the embedded ram, no. It is embedded so that is go back to the drawing board level change, they aren't going to be doing that at this point (likewise you won't see them change GPU or CPU at this point). Overclock the CPU/GPU, maybe, but that would be risky on the hardware's durability. They likely already have a lot of people wary of buying in due to 360's issues, if they repeat they could seriously hurt sales, especially as they don't have the timing advantage this time. DerekLoffin

And your point is? I never claimed they didn't. My issue wasn't with getting the chips to work, it was getting the chips in the first place.

Depends on memory modlule's lead time i.e. this factor is different from the APU.
#-12 Posted by DrTrafalgarLaw (4440 posts) -

You're right, they are not final.
I bet Microsoft will gimp down the specs even further as they make more and more comments about the 360 being an entertainment console primarily and not a gaming device. With the recent news of Kinect selling boatloads, I think that the already inferior specs of the next xbox will be gimped down even further to attract more casual at low price points.

Microsoft Casualization Continuation. :cool:

#-11 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"] If there is anything that MS has proven is that they are willing to throw down. Like I said, all they have to do is match Sony and unless Sony will be taking massive loses neither will Microsoft.fernandmondego_

No they wont.

Yeah they will. All because of Kinect...

#-10 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14456 posts) -

they likely won't change much, if at all.

MS has been wanting to change the xbox brand image for a while now as not being a gaming centric system.

If they don't need to use additional funds to capture that market, they won't bother in doing so.

if anything they could get even weaker.

#-9 Posted by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

You're right, they are not final.
I bet Microsoft will gimp down the specs even further as they make more and more comments about the 360 being an entertainment console primarily and not a gaming device. With the recent news of Kinect selling boatloads, I think that the already inferior specs of the next xbox will be gimped down even further to attract more casual at low price points.

Microsoft Casualization Continuation. :cool:

DrTrafalgarLaw

Not gonna happen MS and 360 are known for offering a wide variety or services and appeal but also known to still be a powerful system and offer great looking games. MS ain't going to change that aspect at all just expand on it much further.

#-8 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -
Arent development kits usually more powerful than a actual console? So we should expect less and not more.
#-7 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

I love when people with minimal tech knowledge, talk out of their bumhole.

lundy86_4

This, I love the DDR5 and 2.0 Mhz! :lol:

#-6 Posted by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Rocker6

I meant ghz lol

#-5 Posted by 04dcarraher (19685 posts) -

Lets ignore the fact that there has been good reason to believe that the next xbox has been finialized and in production since this last fall. Also 68 GB/s isnt too slow if you allocate the needed assets at initial load of the game.

#-4 Posted by DISSESHOWEDO (1775 posts) -

[QUOTE="23Jarek23"]

Seems like your reaching for hope my friend. Regardless, they're just rumors right now, there hasn't been anything confirmed other than M$ abandoning core gamers, which happened a couple years ago. 

me3x12

This is really not true at all. MS has a new Gears coming out soon they just had Halo4 and they had Forza Horizion and they even have a great game hitting Live Arcade that has huge potential is a game called State of Decay coming out in a few months. Just becuase you don't like these games don't mean MS aint got core franchises:roll:

Oh man it must s*cks to be an x-bot only player !

#-3 Posted by MonsieurX (30484 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

me3x12

I meant ghz lol

But you're still claiming that more cores = better
#-1 Posted by GarGx1 (2777 posts) -

Tweaks...yes, major hardware changes....absolutely not. Changing from DDR3 to DDR5 would require a complete revision of the entire system. They could only change the RAM type if they were still in the planning stages and still had 2 or 3 years before release. I find it really unlikely that they would risk overclocking the CPU or the GPU as speeding chips past the recommended setting tends to produce lots of heat and requires more power for minimal gain.

If both Sony and MS are planning on launching their next consoles this year or early next year, the designs are set in steel reinforced concrete and the silicon is already in production. It really doesn't matter if either of them posted the respective systems specs by laser etching them on the surface of the moon, the competiton will be too far along with their own product to do sh1t about it.

#0 Posted by me3x12 (1765 posts) -

[QUOTE="me3x12"]

[QUOTE="23Jarek23"]

Seems like your reaching for hope my friend. Regardless, they're just rumors right now, there hasn't been anything confirmed other than M$ abandoning core gamers, which happened a couple years ago. 

DISSESHOWEDO

This is really not true at all. MS has a new Gears coming out soon they just had Halo4 and they had Forza Horizion and they even have a great game hitting Live Arcade that has huge potential is a game called State of Decay coming out in a few months. Just becuase you don't like these games don't mean MS aint got core franchises:roll:

Oh man it must s*cks to be an x-bot only player !

I have a launch model PS3 with no games for it. Although i'll get The Last Of Us