High Priced Next Gen Consoles Won't sell ? Orrr Will They. :P

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

So, anyone saying high priced consoles will fail because of the weak economies and such, what ya think about this?

Seems people will splurge for things they want even with the economic woes but wait, perhaps they already gave all their money to Apple and have nothing left for MS & Sony. :shock: :P

Anyhoo, discuss if you wish.

The Story.

---

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-24-apples-gala-christmas-48-million-iphones-23-million-ipads-sold

Apple's Gala Christmas: 48 million iPhones, 23 million iPads sold

Cash mountain rises to £86.6 billion.

Apple had a Gala Christmas, harvesting a juicy profit of $13.1 billion in three months.

In that three-month period (Apple's Q1) Apple sold 47.8 million iPhones, 22.9 million iPads, 4.1 million Macs and more than 2 million Apple TVs.

smaug

Tim Cook must be Smaug.

The iPad is selling at such a rate now that it could top 90 million sales in 2013, noted GamesIndustry.biz. In one year, then, the iPad could easily outstrip lifetime sales of PS3 or 360, and roughly match that of Wii.

The iPhone numbers are even more ridiculous. It could do as many as 200 million sales in 2013.

Apple, during the same period last year, sold 37 million iPhones, 15.4 million iPads, 5.2 million Macs and around 1.2 million Apple TVs.

Apple noted that more than 40 billion apps had been downloaded (ever) and more than $7 billion paid out to developers of them. Games are top dog so presumably a lot of that money went there.

Despite the overwhelming success of iDevices, Apple's stock dropped by over 10 per cent after the financial report was aired. That's because investors are worried about dwindling Mac sales.

Apple's Tim Cook was "incredibly excited" about the year to come, and Apple's "very full" product pipeline it has planned.

Don't look now, but Apple's cash pile is so big now - $137.1 billion (£86.6 billion) - it may need a dragon like Smaug to defend it.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Yeah but I feel sexy when I have an iPhone or iPad. XBOX doesn't make me feel sexy. Does it make you feel sexy? Probably not. People spend a lot of money to things that will make them look sexy.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"]Yeah but I feel sexy when I have an iPhone or iPad. XBOX doesn't make me feel sexy. Does it make you feel sexy? Probably not. People spend a lot of money to things that will make them look sexy.

iphone sexy? its more of a sign of wasting money than sexiness to me
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Yeah but I feel sexy when I have an iPhone or iPad. XBOX doesn't make me feel sexy. Does it make you feel sexy? Probably not. People spend a lot of money to things that will make them look sexy.funsohng

Is this really why people buy these things?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Yeah but I feel sexy when I have an iPhone or iPad. XBOX doesn't make me feel sexy. Does it make you feel sexy? Probably not. People spend a lot of money to things that will make them look sexy.Chozofication

I bought my 4S to feel sexy. I like being sexy.
DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 DISSESHOWEDO
Member since 2010 • 1775 Posts

Apple is a BS company! Releasing every year the most overpriced products with little improvements ! Thnx but no thnx !

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice

Yeah but I feel sexy when I have an iPhone or iPad. XBOX doesn't make me feel sexy. Does it make you feel sexy? Probably not. People spend a lot of money to things that will make them look sexy.funsohng
Depending on the people playing; playing and or watching others play Kinect 2 in the nude could be pretty sexy. :shock:

Orrr, Not !!! :twisted:

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Yeah but I feel sexy when I have an iPhone or iPad. XBOX doesn't make me feel sexy. Does it make you feel sexy? Probably not. People spend a lot of money to things that will make them look sexy.SecretPolice

Depending on the people playing; playing and or watching others play Kinect 2 in the nude could be pretty sexy. :shock:

I think playing Move in the nude is much more sexy than Kinect. ..... ok I think we should stop here, I really don't want to risk another suspension.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Yeah but I feel sexy when I have an iPhone or iPad. XBOX doesn't make me feel sexy. Does it make you feel sexy? Probably not. People spend a lot of money to things that will make them look sexy.funsohng

I think playing Move in the nude is much more sexy than Kinect. ..... ok I think we should stop here, I really don't want to risk another suspension.

that move controller shape lol
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
I wouldn't expect you neckbeards to understand what it means to own an apple device
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

If they're 599 US dollars, only hardcore cows and lems will buy them.

So they better not be.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice

So they better not be.

nameless12345

That's likely correct - the sweet spot for me would be HW worth that much but sold for $499.99. :D :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

So they better not be.

SecretPolice

That's likely correct - the sweet spot for me would be HW worth that much but sold for $499.99. :D :P

Yeah, I would gladly pay $500 for something as quality as the first PS3 models. Except they'll be better because they won't make heat like a radiator. That's what I expect to pay for something that doesn't cut corners, but the cheaper the better!

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

It's all relative. If a PS4/Durango can't display any significant competitive advantages, asking a consumer to pay more than $400 will not result kindly. But if it can, $500 may be in the realm of reasonableness.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I wouldn't expect you neckbeards to understand what it means to own an apple deviceRR360DD

Please explain. I own an iPhone and am on a MacBook right now and frankly I can not wait until my 2 year contract for my phone expires (this september) and my MacBook stops working so I have a good excuse to buy new laptop (definitely not a MacBook again).

Both are overpriced and underperforming. This laptop costed me $1300 when I bought it, which is more than I paid for my gaming PC. This thing can barely run Portal 1. Owning an Apple products means nothing more than that you simply own an Apple product.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice

It's all relative. If a PS4/Durango can't display any significant competitive advantages, asking a consumer to pay more than $400 will not result kindly. But if it can, $500 may be in the realm of reasonableness.

Basinboy

It's all a matter of nice bang for the buck and if they deliver on that, me thinks out of the I dunno, 150 million of us that own 360 / PS3, there's at least about 30-40 mil that are very tired of this gen ( I had 360 since early 2006 ) and will jump to next gen within the first 6 months / year of release. :shock: But again, much depends on what's offered, at what price. :cool:

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]I wouldn't expect you neckbeards to understand what it means to own an apple deviceBPoole96

Please explain. I own an iPhone and am on a MacBook right now and frankly I can not wait until my 2 year contract for my phone expires (this september) and my MacBook stops working so I have a good excuse to buy new laptop (definitely not a MacBook again).

Both are overpriced and underperforming. This laptop costed me $1300 when I bought it, which is more than I paid for my gaming PC. This thing can barely run Portal 1. Owning an Apple products means nothing more than that you simply own an Apple product.

I really hope you didn't buy a macbook to game on -_-

I work in the design industry, so owning a macbook makes sense. I also have a 6 year old macbook that still runs like a dream. I never have any issues with it, which is a lot more than I can say about my gaming PC i had a few years back (until I binned it when the motherboard failed). My mum has an andoid tablet and phone, the UI is hilariously bad. Again, Ill take simplicity and ease of use over android / windows.

I don't understand the hate apple gets around here. Google are far more shady, yet you all cream yourselves over them.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]I wouldn't expect you neckbeards to understand what it means to own an apple deviceRR360DD

I really hope you didn't buy a macbook to game on -_-

I work in the design industry, so owning a macbook makes sense. I also have a 6 year old macbook that still runs like a dream. I never have any issues with it, which is a lot more than I can say about my gaming PC i had a few years back (until I binned it when the motherboard failed). My mum has an andoid tablet and phone, the UI is hilariously bad. Again, Ill take simplicity and ease of use over android / windows.

I don't understand the hate apple gets around here. Google are far more shady, yet you all cream yourselves over them.

I did not buy it to game on. I bought it with money I got from graduating back in '08 and I was dumb at the time and actually took advice from people without doing my own research and everyone had me convinced that Macs were the best. I will say that it has held up over the years, but it definitely was not worth the money I paid for it.

But what exactly does it mean to own an Apple product? I must be a neckbeard because I do not understand the symbolic meaning owning a particular device that over 100 million people own. It isn't like it's some exclusive item that only certain people are allowed to have.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#19 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
i have zero plans buy any console ATM. i stick with my pc. They going have to impress me big time..
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I think if PS4 and Xbox 3 were priced no higher than $450 they would sell well. Above that sales would be much slower.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
They'll sell well at launch because launch buyers will buy anything at any price. I can see some super expensive $599 model for people who can't help but throw money at a company but the reasonable one that they actually expect the average joe to buy being $350-$399
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Market well, and you can sell idiots anything.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
The price of the God Station 4 is inconsequential to me. Day 1.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Overpriced Apple products... Why?

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#25 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

a 600 dollar xbox and ps seams likely and it would help nintendo and hurt them

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

$300 or no deal.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

But those items serve a number of purposes, including work related. In addition, iPhones are often subsidised with a contract

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

The price of the God Station 4 is inconsequential to me. Day 1.Heil68

And when the specs and price release, say hello to your new upgraded PC

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
$399 is my limit unless there is simply some overwhelming reason for me to spend more. Put it to you this way, in order for me to drop more than $400 at launch of either the next XBOX or PS4, there will have to be games that will give me that first time experience that Halo CE, RE, Splinter Cell and Tomb Raider did back in the day. Im not going to drop $500 for a shinier Halo or Madden with better grass and sky!
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i'd pay a premium for the ps4
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice

i'd pay a premium for the ps4campzor
Sight unseen ? :shock: Don't tell me we gotta another Heil on our hands ? :P

layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
$350 is the magic price for good launch sales. $500 or above is just asking to fail.
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

[QUOTE="Chozofication"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"]Yeah but I feel sexy when I have an iPhone or iPad. XBOX doesn't make me feel sexy. Does it make you feel sexy? Probably not. People spend a lot of money to things that will make them look sexy.funsohng

I bought my 4S to feel sexy. I like being sexy.

but but...you're always sexy!

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 campzor

[QUOTE="campzor"]i'd pay a premium for the ps4SecretPolice

ps3 was around $680-700 when i bought it in 08. I can see that price for the LAUNCH.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts
[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

[QUOTE="campzor"]i'd pay a premium for the ps4campzor

ps3 was around $680-700 when i bought it in 08. I can see that price for the LAUNCH.

The price was that high because of Blu ray. No way PS 4 will be even close the PS 3 launch price.
layton2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 layton2012
Member since 2011 • 3489 Posts
[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="SecretPolice"]Sight unseen ? :shock: Don't tell me we gotta another Heil on our hands ? :PCranler

The price was that high because of Blu ray. No way PS 4 will be even close the PS 3 launch price.

Agreed m, blu ray increases the price a bunch some he was brand new in 2006, I'm guessing 400-500 for PS4.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
Why do people dog on Apple for releasing new Phones every year? EVERY OTHER COMPANY DOES IT!
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 campzor
[QUOTE="layton2012"][QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="campzor"] ps3 was around $680-700 when i bought it in 08. I can see that price for the LAUNCH.

Agreed m, blu ray increases the price a bunch some he was brand new in 2006, I'm guessing 400-500 for PS4.

Then that is great, as I would definitely welcome a $550-650(AU) ps4 launch, however we are unsure if sony will 'add' anything which will increase the cost.
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

My letter to Sony.

Mr Hirai,

I will pay whatever for PS4. I will put a second mortgage on my house, sell one of my vital organs, or have my wife do "favors" for others. I want to work hard for the PS4, that way I will know what it means to have the privilege to own such a great device.

XOXO

- S_F_06

P.S. Tell Jack to add me on PSN.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Good question Secret Police.

I think that one of those consoles is going to have the largest launch of all time.

They just need to offer great value. Take something simple like controller backwards compatibility. If on launch there were a racing game with 4-player split screen, it would be great to get going without buying an additional 3x new controllers.

Cost and value are not the same.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 campzor

Good question Secret Police.

I think that one of those consoles is going to have the largest launch of all time.

They just need to offer great value. Take something simple like controller backwards compatibility. If on launch there were a racing game with 4-player split screen, it would be great to get going without buying an additional 3x new controllers.

Cost and value are not the same.

psymon100
i would be pretty disappointed if i cant use my 2 dualshocks with the ps4.
SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

It depends if the tech inside is worth the price tag. If its packing a GTX 690 you know I"ll be buying one!!!!!!!

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

It depends if the tech inside is worth the price tag. If its packing a GTX 690 you know I"ll be buying one!!!!!!!

SonySoldier-_-

Dangling modifiers are my favourite.