Heavy Rain 40m to make, 100m profit

• 155 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nervmeister (15218 posts) -

Nice to see a game that for once does something different from the mainstream get rewarded. Oh, and inb4 the predictable "movie game" bile from the haters.

#2 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

Yes, I would hope that games that sell that well make money.

But I thought PS3 exclusives didn't sell

tonitorsi

Yo, not to perpetuate a stereotype, but a lot of them don't. PASBR, Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Starhawk, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, etc. Not that that makes them better or worse, or anything, but in terms of true mass appeal, they've got GT, Uncharted, and God of War. That's it.

Similar to Microsoft's Halo/Gears/Forza and Nintendo's Mario/Zelda/Pokemon.

Everyone's got a Holy Trinity.

#3 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4723 posts) -

100mil profit? i really doubt that, the game only sold 2mil copies

100mil revenue yeah, but not profit

#4 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Newhopes"]

I'd like to know just how you make 100m off 2.5 million game sales those numbers just don't add up.

Newhopes

$60 x 2.5 million = 150 Million. - 40 million for development costs, which we assume includes everything. And the game didn't stop selling since the last time we got numbers. It's not that hard.

150m is only if all copies sold full retail and Sony got 100% of the money, but thats not how it works Sony would be lucky to see a third of that money.

So subtract some cash. They said the game made 100 million, not that they made that much in profit. The TC's thread title is wrong.

#6 Posted by ohgeez (910 posts) -

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

Do people really still try to argue that games like heavy rain aren't games?

FlamesOfGrey

Indeed which is funny because those same people consider Telltales "The Walking Dead" a game and it's almost the same as Heavy Rain.

Dude, didn't you know? It only counts as a movie if its PS3 exclusive. Evidence:

-Only PS3 exclusives are called movies

-Games called movies have varying levels and qualities of gameplay.

Therefore we can reasonably conclude that the amount of gameplay has nothing to do with whether a game is a movie or not. The only common factor is that they are exclusive. Therefore movie is a synonym for ps3 exclusive!! Sounds crazy, right? Well it most be true... either that or their are wayyyy to many butthurt fanboys out there. Its one or the other...

#7 Posted by Vatusus (4587 posts) -

Wait, wasn't it the Journey devs who said makign that game bankrupted them?

Kinthalis

The process of making the game bankrupted them but then when it released it was hugelly profitable. If it had bankrupted them ThatGameCompany would be no more... think

#8 Posted by Gue1 (9740 posts) -

what you guys think about that?   :cool:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-19-de-fondaumiere-innovation-doesnt-rhyme-with-unprofitability

"These projects have been and are profitable, to some extent," he said. "I'll give you one example that I know about: Heavy Rain. Let's say it's $22 million to produce. With marketing it's maybe $30 million. With distribution, $40 million. Sony earned $100 million with the game, so it's very profitable. It's the sort of margin that most publishers would strive for, for any game.

"Heavy Rain was the ninth best selling game in the year it was released, so we made the top ten. It's true of Journey, too. I don't know the details of the budget, but I know from speaking to members of ThatGameCompany that it was a profitable game for them and for Sony.

"We should stop thinking that innovation rhymes with unprofitable."

#9 Posted by lawlessx (46634 posts) -

#10 Posted by tonitorsi (8327 posts) -

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14893-1338650161-4.

#11 Posted by osirisx3 (1771 posts) -

i was just playing heavy rain with the move its a good game. Its not a movie like some people to make it out to be.

#12 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3749 posts) -

My wife and I really enjoyed Heavy Rain. It is easily on of my top 10 picks for the entire generation as far as originality goes.

#13 Posted by jsmoke03 (12837 posts) -

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14893-1338650161-4.

tonitorsi
they just dont sell as much as ms games other than gt5
#14 Posted by nervmeister (15218 posts) -

lawlessx
Yes.
#15 Posted by Zaibach (13444 posts) -

If thats not an inscentive for Mr Cage to go mad withthe movies I dont what is

#16 Posted by Lucianu (9384 posts) -

And none of that matters because i don't get a nice, juicy slice of that money.. so don't give a f*k.

#17 Posted by DarthJohnova (4599 posts) -

Wow, that's pretty impressive actually.

#18 Posted by Newhopes (4532 posts) -

I'd like to know just how you make 100m off 2.5 million game sales those numbers just don't add up.

#19 Posted by lawlessx (46634 posts) -

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

nervmeister

Yes.

well **** em.  i knew a guy that tried to tell me the Sims weren't games because they didn't have a ending or set goal.

People should try to be abit more opened minded.

#20 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

Newhopes
$60 x 2.5 million = 150 Million. - 40 million for development costs, which we assume includes everything. And the game didn't stop selling since the last time we got numbers. It's not that hard.
#21 Posted by adamosmaki (9501 posts) -
didnt the game sold 2-2,5 million ( if i remember correctly ) ? How did it made 100million profit ? Revenue probably but profit ?
#22 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

HaloinventedFPS
They didnt say 100 million in profit. They said 100 million gross with 40 million in expenses. That should put the profit at 60 million. And don't use sites like VGChartz as reference because it seems you have. For one, VGChartz is inaccurate and for two, they only take retail sales into account. Digital downloads from the console marketplaces are becoming a really big thing which is something not even NPD reports.
#23 Posted by lostrib (35698 posts) -

[QUOTE="Newhopes"]

DarkLink77

That's assuming that on average Sony received 60 dollars per game

#24 Posted by lostrib (35698 posts) -

[QUOTE="HaloinventedFPS"]

Murderstyle75

They didnt say 100 million in profit. They said 100 million gross with 40 million in expenses. That should put the profit at 60 million. And don't use sites like VGChartz as reference because it seems you have. For one, VGChartz is inaccurate and for two, they only take retail sales into account. Digital downloads from the console marketplaces are becoming a really big thing which is something not even NPD reports.

the thread title is misleading

#25 Posted by Newhopes (4532 posts) -

[QUOTE="Newhopes"]

DarkLink77

150m is only if all copies sold full retail and Sony got 100% of the money, but thats not how it works Sony would be lucky to see a third of that money.

#26 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

lostrib

Okay, so minus 50 million off of that for retailer cut, expenses, etc. Still easy to see how they made 60 million in profit.
#27 Posted by lostrib (35698 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] $60 x 2.5 million = 150 Million. - 40 million for development costs, which we assume includes everything. And the game didn't stop selling since the last time we got numbers. It's not that hard.DarkLink77

Okay, so minus 50 million off of that for retailer cut, expenses, etc. Still easy to see how they made 60 million in profit.

well the point was that the thread title is wrong/misleading

#28 Posted by biggest_loser (24043 posts) -
Excellent game. I had a lot of fun playing it just recently on my PS3.
#29 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

well the point was that the thread title is wrong/misleading

Oh, no disagreement. It's absolutely wrong. But anyone who reads what they said should be able to pick that up.
#30 Posted by Heil68 (43921 posts) -
When you make world class games, good things happen.
#31 Posted by call_of_duty_10 (4954 posts) -

According to Eurogamer,Heavy Rain cost about $22M.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-19-heavy-rain-cost-16-7-million-to-make-and-made-sony-more-than-100-million

So which one is it?22M or 40M?

#32 Posted by jsmoke03 (12837 posts) -
[QUOTE="Newhopes"]

DarkLink77

also doesnt take to account certain retailers and digital distribution numbers
#33 Posted by vashkey (33722 posts) -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-19-heavy-rain-cost-16-7-million-to-make-and-made-sony-more-than-100-million

call_of_duty_10
Maybe it wasn't counting marketing and other stuff before?
#34 Posted by call_of_duty_10 (4954 posts) -
[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

vashkey
Maybe it wasn't counting marketing and other stuff before?

I had not read the first post. Title confused me.
#35 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7509 posts) -

lawlessx
Indeed which is funny because those same people consider Telltales "The Walking Dead" a game and it's almost the same as Heavy Rain.
#36 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

jsmoke03

also doesnt take to account certain retailers and digital distribution numbers

Yeah, we covered that already. Try to keep up.
#37 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -

call_of_duty_10
Did any of you read the article? It was 22 million before marketing and distribution.
#38 Posted by Kinthalis (5310 posts) -

Wait, wasn't it the Journey devs who said makign that game bankrupted them?

#39 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4165 posts) -
[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

FlamesOfGrey

And they all want to know about their interactive movie from MGS Los Angeles.
#40 Posted by hoosier7 (3784 posts) -
Wish the industry would take note that new IPs aren't always as risky as the big publishers seem to think. Tomb Raider's financial problems, GoW and GeoW's poor sales whilst there are new IPs like Journey turning profit, i don't understand the insistence on sticking only with the reliable franchises when there's clearly a market for new things.
#41 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27519 posts) -
Is it just me or is the title misleading, I think he means $60 mil in profit ...
#42 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

lawlessx
Only the truly ignorant try to makes those claims as those same morons try to say the Uncharted series and MGS4 arent games. Not sure just how stupid one must be to makes those claims, but SW seems to be a central hub for morons to come and make such ignorant statements.
#43 Posted by AcidThunder (2332 posts) -
that's some profit they made
#44 Posted by Cyberdot (3523 posts) -

Impressive.

I bet lemmings who said PS3 exclusives don't sell are feeling stupid now.

#45 Posted by StormyJoe (5101 posts) -

Think of how much more money they would have made if they released it on the PC & 360...

#46 Posted by Vatusus (4587 posts) -

[QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

DarkLink77

Yo, not to perpetuate a stereotype, but a lot of them don't. PASBR, Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Starhawk, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, etc. Not that that makes them better or worse, or anything, but in terms of true mass appeal, they've got GT, Uncharted, and God of War. That's it.

You forgot both LBP and inFamous that sells well enough, and I'm pretty sure both Killzone 2 and 3 sold great aswell.

#47 Posted by Cyberdot (3523 posts) -

Think of how much more money they would have made if they released it on the PC & 360...

StormyJoe

It wouldn't be possible on the 360.

#48 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="tonitorsi"]

Vatusus

You forgot both LBP and inFamous that sells well enough, and I'm pretty sure both Killzone 2 and 3 sold great aswell.

Links for sales to inFamous and LBP? Killzone 2 broke 2 million, but we don't have any official info of Killzone 3 doing above - 800,000, I believe.
#49 Posted by charizard1605 (56828 posts) -
lolHeavyRain
#50 Posted by menes777 (2643 posts) -

[QUOTE="nervmeister"][QUOTE="lawlessx"]

lawlessx

Yes.

well **** em.  i knew a guy that tried to tell me the Sims weren't games because they didn't have a ending or set goal.

People should try to be abit more opened minded.

My question then is what did they call it if they don't call it a game?