HBO app (finally) coming to PS3 and later PS4!

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

About friggin' time!! Waiting forever. Tired of moving my 360 into the bedroom every time I want to catch up on 'Boardwalk Empire' since it's not available on PS3. Hopefully it comes soon. Glad it's coming to PS4 as well.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/17/ps3-getting-hbogo-app-ps4-version-to-follow/

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Latestation confirmed

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

@SEANMCAD: ikr lol

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

That good news, but any news about whether people can subscribe to HBO outside of adding it to their cable? Paying something like a Netflix/Hulu subscription would be better IMO.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

It's about damn time. Seriously, most people I know use HBO Go about as much as they play games.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

@lamprey263 said:

That good news, but any news about whether people can subscribe to HBO outside of adding it to their cable? Paying something like a Netflix/Hulu subscription would be better IMO.

yeah getting in bed with cable was my first hint that Microsoft have lost the vision of 'future proof'

The X1 is every bit as ready todeliver apps or even become an IPTV box, unfortunately ISP's (who also benefit from providing cable) aren't going to provide adequate bandwidths to make their services obsolete. This effects everybody. If faster and cheaper bandwidths were available to offer cable alternatives then channel packages would be very affordable because of competition. MS, Sony, Apple, Google, Samsung, everybody and their mother will be competing, and the consumers will benefit. As long as cable-ISP monopolies dominate telecom services we won't ever see the day.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

one thing i really wanted to come to PS, however the 360 app is terrible when compared to something like netflix, hope they redo it. but seeing as how it's something i actually want to change, it'll probably stay the same DX

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

people still watch cable?

HBO has shows that own most movies....

Or are you referring to pirating which is illegal?

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

@SEANMCAD said:

There are free sites that stream cable shows and sports. Sure the video quality takes a hit but it's free. No need for cable it's dead but people are to lazy to look around.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

I haven't bothered trying the HBO app but I really don't get what the point of apps like this is. The few similar ones I've tried always tell me I have to be a subscriber to the service in some other capacity to use it on Xbox 360, often from my cable provider. Well, if I've already got it from my cable provider then what the hell do I need it on 360 for? Seems to me that in order to be truly useful there would be no requirement to already have it on something else. If, for example, I already have HBO through my cable box than an app for Xbox 360 is redundant cuz all I gotta do is change inputs to watch it, and at higher quality too.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

It's shame that none of these services are available here.(for them)

It's ok though cause i still get to watch all the tv shows i want.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

It has the best shows. Bill Maher, Masters of Sex, Game of Thrones, Eastbound and Down.... the list goes on and on. No commercials, no censorship. I mean, I'm old so I grew up with it, but it's pretty awesome.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarthBilf

@Wickerman777 said:

I haven't bothered trying the HBO app but I really don't get what the point of apps like this is. The few similar ones I've tried always tell me I have to be a subscriber to the service in some other capacity to use it on Xbox 360, often from my cable provider. Well, if I've already got it from my cable provider then what the hell do I need it on 360 for? Seems to me that in order to be truly useful there would be no requirement to already have it on something else. If, for example, I already have HBO through my cable box than an app for Xbox 360 is redundant cuz all I gotta do is change inputs to watch it, and at higher quality too.

The channel HBO =/= The complete collection of every HBO show ever plus all the movies currently in rotation on demand

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DarthBilf
@no-scope-AK47 said:

@Jankarcop said:

@SEANMCAD said:

There are free sites that stream cable shows and sports. Sure the video quality takes a hit but it's free. No need for cable it's dead but people are to lazy to look around.

And they are all illegal. Sure, the chances you will get caught are basically nonexistent, and I'd be lying if I said I've never used one of those sites, but it comes down to morality.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wickerman777

@DarthBilf said:

@Wickerman777 said:

The channel HBO =/= The complete collection of every HBO show ever plus all the movies currently in rotation on demand

Meh, I'm not sure offhand about the shows but my cable box can get the movies on demand as well, and they look better cuz it's cable and not streamed via the internet. Look, I get it as far as mobile devices go. When on the go ya don't have your cable box and TV with you. But Xbox and Playstation are not mobile devices. Chances are pretty high that wherever you've got one or both of those consoles you've also got your cable box. And if ya got it on your cable box, a requirement, then what good is it to have it on the console? Apps like this on consoles are not gonna mean anything to me until ya can use it without already having it on something else. In that sort of scenario ya could pay for XBL and dump your cable rather than paying two monthly fees to get a second way to access something you're already getting paying for just one.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@Jankarcop said:

@SEANMCAD said:

FYI its fine to talk about piracy and illegal activities but the encouragement of their use, naming of sites or links to any sites will bring swift and severe god-like repercussions.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Cool! I hope that, like the Netflix app on PS3, that means we will get 3d HBO movies too. Sure hope so.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

We don't get HBO.

We do get Curb Your Enthusiasm though. Can't complain :larry:

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

I record everything I want to see.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DarthBilf

@Wickerman777 said:

@DarthBilf said:

@Wickerman777 said:

Meh, I'm not sure offhand about the shows but my cable box can get the movies on demand as well, and they look better cuz it's cable and not streamed via the internet. Look, I get it as far as mobile devices go. When on the go ya don't have your cable box and TV with you. But Xbox and Playstation are not mobile devices. Chances are pretty high that wherever you've got one or both of those consoles you've also got your cable box. And if ya got it on your cable box, a requirement, then what good is it to have it on the console? Apps like this on consoles are not gonna mean anything to me until ya can use it without already having it on something else. In that sort of scenario ya could pay for XBL and dump your cable rather than paying two monthly fees to access something you were already getting paying for just one.

I know from my cable provider HBO on demand is MUCH more limited than HBO Go, and it costs $5 a month. But I do see your point, despite the fact that I think HBO Go is an amazing service for those with an HBO subscription. I think it's likely that they will parse down the content (maybe only carrying shows which are no longer airing?) and create a Netflix like service which doesn't require a cable subscription in the near furute.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

Seriously? We need apps for what a cable box can do now? Wow.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DarthBilf

@LJS9502_basic: Again, no cable box can replicate HBO Go. Only like,\ thousands of dollars of DVD purchases and an HBO subscription could.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Seriously? We need apps for what a cable box can do now? Wow.

Yes we do. I can't connect a cable box to my Ipad. At this point though you are kind of right as far as the consoles go. It's still kind of redundant, BUT- if they start offering HBO GO untethered to a cable service (they are testing it now) then it's a pretty awesome thing considering the quality of HBO's programming, past and present.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Wickerman777

@DarthBilf said:

@LJS9502_basic: Again, no cable box can replicate HBO Go. Only like, tens of thousands of dollars of DVD purchases and an HBO subscription could.

I think the name sorta says it all though, doesn't it ... HBO Go? When it comes to consoles you're not going anywhere. Your cable box is typically sitting in the same entertainment center the console is. Like I said before it makes sense to me when it comes to mobile devices. On consoles apps like this in their current form are trivial at best.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@freedomfreak said:

We don't get HBO.

We do get Curb Your Enthusiasm though. Can't complain

I presume you have other channels that carry shows on there like Game of Thrones though?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 freedomfreak
@blue_hazy_basic said:

I presume you have other channels that carry shows on there like Game of Thrones though?

lol. Good old Larry.

I do. It's called 2BE. That has Game of Thrones. Curb Your Enthusiasm plays on Acht, which means 'Eight'.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@SEANMCAD: I know, I was just warning people before they said something daft ... :P

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jankarcop

Please show me this YouTube user content that is higher quality than The Wire, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Boardwalk Empire, and now the awesome True Detective.

SW you astound me sometimes.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DarthBilf

@Jankarcop said:

Please show me this YouTube user content that is higher quality than The Wire, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Boardwalk Empire, and now the awesome True Detective.

The past 10 years really have been a great time to be a fan of TV.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I only ever tune in to HBO for Boxing.

Im not a movie person and I dont care for series shows like Walking Dea, Gmae of Thrones and whatever is in between.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jankarcop

@SEANMCAD said:

@DarthBilf said:

@Jankarcop said:

The past 10 years really have been a great time to be a fan of TV.

Oh that is a fact vs opinion nightmare about to happen

Cause saying Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad are better than youtube created content is surely a stretch...lolz

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jankarcop

@SEANMCAD said:

1. That first statement was a bad example, as it is can actually be refuted with facts as PC has more gamers and high rated games yearly.

2. So you haven't watched Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones yet you think random youtube channels that gets 1/100000th the views of those Emmy award winning shows is better?

Here is an example of what you are doing but in gaming terms: Saying Kinect is better than all PC Gaming. Or that mods are better than all Console Games.

No youtube channel has the quality acting, cinematography, directing, and writing of those shows....or they'd have at least half the viewers and awards.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@freedomfreak I never knew you were from Germany! Do you prefer to watch dubbed movies / play dubbed games or do you make an extra effort to get English versions?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jankarcop

Oh and please link to me this Youtube Chanel that is superior to Breaking Bad.

I'm feeling for a good laugh today.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 freedomfreak
@Salt_The_Fries said:

@freedomfreak I never knew you were from Germany! Do you prefer to watch dubbed movies / play dubbed games or do you make an extra effort to get English versions?

I'm from Belgium, actually :p

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

With that said, I have The Wire not because I have cable but because I bought it from the store.

That was money well spent, good job.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#46 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

Take that, Microsoft ! oh wait,,,

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jankarcop

Those shows I listed have higher viewers than any youtube shows.

Your original post in this thread was a farce.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

This is just stupid you need cable to use the hbo app. So it makes having the app pointless if you have to pay for cable and then pay for HBO just to use the app on your ps3/ps4.