Have Valve given into the PC bridage as well as became hypocrites?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Have Valve given into the PC bridage as well as became hypocrites? (17 votes)

Yes 100% 71%
No 82%

It appears green-light; which has predominantly been shit, scams and otherwise has removed a game; clearly popular with customers. "because, just"

UPDATE 16/12/2014 1.50am: Hatred developer Destructive Creations has responded to Valve's decision to remove Hatred from Steam Greenlight.

The developer noted that in a span of a "couple of hours" Hatred shot up to number seven on Steam Greenlight's list of most wanted titles with a total of 13,148 up votes.

Destructive Creations noted that it "fully respect[s] Valve's decision" and this won't impact the development of Hatred at all.

Here's the developer's statement in full:

"Dear Hatred Fans,

"As you know today we've launched our Steam Greenlight campaign for Hatred.

"Unfortunately after couple of hours Steam shut it down giving the below as reasons behind their decision:

“'We wanted you guys to know that based on what we see on Greenlight we would not publish Hatred on Steam. As such we'll be taking it down.'

"Even though games like Manhunt or Postal are still available on Steam we of course fully respect Valve's decision, as they have the right to do so. In the same time we want to assure you that this won't in any way impact the game's development, game's vision or gameplay features we're aiming for. The game is still to be released in Q2 2015 as planned.

"Moreover we don't treat this as a failure because yet again this showed us a huge community support we're totally overwhelmed with. After only a couple of hours Greenlight campaign being live, Hatred gathered 13,148 up votes and ended up on a #7 on Top 100 list

"This is the best proof for us that there are diehard Hatred fans out there, waiting for this game to be released. And that we need to keep going to deliver them a game that offers exciting and challenging gameplay.

"The whole situation only pushes us forward to go against any adversity and not to give up. It also makes us want to provide our fans Hatred pre-orders sooner, as many of you have asked for them.

"At the end of the day you, gamers will judge if we were able to do a game that's simply fun to play."

UPDATE 15/12/2014 7.14pm Valve has removed Hatred from Steam Greenlight.

"Based on what we've seen on Greenlight we would not publish Hatred on Steam. As such we'll be taking it down," Valve's Doug Lombardi told Eurogamer moments ago.

That didn't take long.

ORIGINAL STORY 15/12/2014 6.28pm Back in October Polish developer Destructive Creations announced Hatred, an isometric action game about a suicidal mass murderer mercilessly slaughtering civilians. Naturally, the project drew a lot of controversy, which seemed to be the point. Now, Hatred has appeared on Steam Greenlight.

"We receive[d] a tons of supportive e-mails and it totally blows me away," Destructive Creations CEO Jarosław Zieliński told Eurogamer when the project was first announced. "[I] didn't expect this. And to all of those people: We won't disappoint you!"

Meanwhile, fashion label Björn Borg has taken the piss out of Hatred by creating a parody of its trailer - below - that advertises its own upcoming promotional game, First-Person Lover.

Due on 28th January for PC and Mac, First-Person Lover will spread a "message of love and acceptance" as players "battle evil forces with the power of love."

We've requested comment from Valve about its decision to allow Hatred on Steam Greenlight and will update should we hear back.

Take into account Postal 2 was approved by greenlight and has been on steam for a number of years. Likewise; Dead Or Alive 5 on steam is currently selling female characters hooker gear as a preorder incentive.

Oh Valve; the angels have fallen. Fluttering feathers.

• 
Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

This game is getting a lot of publicity because of controversy surrounding it. No wonder it'll sell millions of copies when it's released someday. Not my type of game though. Seems like something that will get old pretty fast.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

is the entire game just shooting civilians without any kind of retaliation? if so its gonna become very popular

FragzAU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 FragzAU
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Getting really sick of PC overall. too many Alpha and Beta games that never get complete, or too many early access games that are just plain shit. Its really starting to piss me off and I think i have decided to stick to console, because we don't have issues like this and I still think next gen can run smooth games at max graphics pretty close to a PC.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I'll take English lessons for 100, Alex

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

@wis3boi said:

I'll take English lessons for 100, Alex

Full stop. Quotation marks.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

First of all, Postal 2's design is almost cartoonish and it revels in the absurdity of its comical violence. The tone of the game and it's portrayal of killing is completely different from Hatred.

Second, who the hell is surprised? This game is publisher kryptonite. No big company was ever going to support this title.

Butcer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Butcer2
Member since 2010 • 75 Posts

god i hate valve

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

I guess Valve's PR is more important than their principles.

Butcer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Butcer2

@DefconRave: god i hate valve

indeed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-15-controversial-mass-murdering-game-hatred-appears-on-steam-greenlight

"Based on what we've seen on Greenlight we would not publish Hatred on Steam. As such we'll be taking it down," Valve's Doug Lombardi told Eurogamer moments ago. "

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

@Butcer2 said:

indeed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-15-controversial-mass-murdering-game-hatred-appears-on-steam-greenlight

"Based on what we've seen on Greenlight we would not publish Hatred on Steam. As such we'll be taking it down," Valve's Doug Lombardi told Eurogamer moments ago. "

And yet broken, unfinished games/scams are allowed through the very same system...smh.

Butcer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Butcer2

@DefconRave said:

@Butcer2 said:

indeed

And yet broken, unfinished games/scams are allowed through the very same system...smh.

pretty much, scamming customers by allowing broken vaporware and games filled with stolen copyrighted material is a okay on steam but something that has caused some media controversy is not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Steam definitely isn't what it use to be.... I don't even bother browsing the store anymore... the new "Reccomend me" interface is crap.... full of s*it.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

You won't see Hatred being sold in brick and mortar stores due to its content, why would a digital store be any different?

It would probably be good thing for gaming as a whole if it wasn't released, I'll guarantee you the first random mass shooting in the 'states, after this game is released will be placed squarely in the laps of gaming, especially if the nutter with a gun has played Hatred. Nothing to do with nutters having easy access to firearms or anything like that.

That's not me advocating censorship, it's me advocating common sense. Sometimes, some things are better not existing.

The devs have gone out of their way to make as contravestial a game as they can imagine, it's deliberate choice and due to the free advertising and psuedo affrontage it's recieving it will sell like hotcakes. It really doesn't have anything to do with artstyle, freedom of expression or any of that crap. They're making a shocking game to shock people and know fine well it'll sell even if the game is complete shit. Personally i can't fault them for that, controversy is a brilliant strategy to sell anything.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

"Likewise; Dead Or Alive 5 on steam is currently selling female characters hooker gear as a preorder incentive."

Please stop posting

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#15 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

You won't see Hatred being sold in brick and mortar stores due to its content, why would a digital store be any different?

It would probably be good thing for gaming as a whole if it wasn't released, I'll guarantee you the first random mass shooting in the 'states, after this game is released will be placed squarely in the laps of gaming, especially if the nutter with a gun has played Hatred. Nothing to do with nutters having easy access to firearms or anything like that.

That's not me advocating censorship, it's me advocating common sense. Sometimes, some things are better not existing.

The devs have gone out of their way to make as contravestial a game as they can imagine, it's deliberate choice and due to the free advertising and psuedo affrontage it's recieving it will sell like hotcakes. It really doesn't have anything to do with artstyle, freedom of expression or any of that crap. They're making a shocking game to shock people and know fine well it'll sell even if the game is complete shit. Personally i can't fault them for that, controversy is a brilliant strategy to sell anything.

Yup.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Can't help but feel its more of a PR reason than anything else. I can understand some reasons why people may feel uneasy about it, however you do have to question if they feel uneasy about playing all the other major titles where you can "murder" people etc.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By uninspiredcup

@deadline-zero0 said:

"Likewise; Dead Or Alive 5 on steam is currently selling female characters hooker gear as a preorder incentive."

Please stop posting

My friend: being an uptight hentia fan does not change reality.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#18 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

it's total bs

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GarGx1

@uninspiredcup said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Please stop posting

Wait till the modders get a hold of DoA5!

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

That's unfortunate. Manhunt and Postal are indeed still available on Steam, and as such Valve is just being hypocrites.

I don't see the point in censoring this type of game.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

How are games supposed to evolve and mature when people keep on trying to censor them? I really hate this agenda game journalists, Steam and IOS are pushing. They want to ban/censor games that are too violent and only want games with no violence and where we love each other. All the gaming websites are pushing this and I really don't like it. Sorry, but not all of us want games like Minecraft, animal crossing or farmville. Not all of us want lovey dovey "innovative" indie games.

Some of us enjoy these over the top violent games. Quit trying to censor them.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 parkurtommo

@GarGx1 said:

1. There is no scientific proof to back up accusations like those, doesn't matter if the whole entire US congress believes it, there will be an outrage and any political efforts to censor gaming will be stopped.

2. The US isn't the only country in the world.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Remember the execution in GTA 4? yeah.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@deadline-zero0 said:

Please stop posting

You would go down well on Mumsnet.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

They have a right to decide what they allow on their site. Those games generally don't get major companies behind them.....and there really isn't any reason to create that game except as a quick money making scheme due to controversy.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic

@uninspiredcup said:

I noticed something weird. In countries that don't allow you to get a gun easily; barely any school shootings happen. While in America: they happen every 30 seconds or so.

I think guns rather than video games could be the problem. But America being America (immensely arrogant; living in it's own little bubble) they refuse to change any shit. Because greatest country in the world. At least when it comes to the record for school shootings.

No...no they don't. They happen rarely which is why they hit the news. And school shootings do happen in other countries. Do you ever use facts or always pull your statements from your ass.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

The game seems like a pretty blatant mockery of horrific scenarios that many victims had to endure. Im not part of the PC brigade, but I have no problem against this censorship. Not holding this one against valve.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GarGx1

@parkurtommo:

1. The US is a massive market and they can and do affect game development and sales. They don't need proof just the ears of the media and therefore the masses, just look at the influence that Anita con artisit woman appears to have.

2. I'm not American but I'm not blinkered enough to beleive that the country with more large game publishers and developers than any other cannot influence the games I play

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clyde46

@LJS9502_basic said:

@uninspiredcup said:

I noticed something weird. In countries that don't allow you to get a gun easily; barely any school shootings happen. While in America: they happen every 30 seconds or so.

I think guns rather than video games could be the problem. But America being America (immensely arrogant; living in it's own little bubble) they refuse to change any shit. Because greatest country in the world. At least when it comes to the record for school shootings.

No...no they don't. They happen rarely which is why they hit the news. And school shootings do happen in other countries. Do you ever use facts or always pull your statements from your ass.

On the news today, that school in Pakistan was shot up by militants.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts
Loading Video...

Valve really needs to get rid of the shit broken games.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic

@parkurtommo said:

1. There is no scientific proof to back up accusations like those, doesn't matter if the whole entire US congress believes it, there will be an outrage and any political efforts to censor gaming will be stopped.

2. The US isn't the only country in the world.

What accusations? That some forms of media can influence individuals? Yeah there kind of is.....granted a normal well adjusted person isn't going to be influenced by it...but not everyone is well adjusted. However, that doesn't mean censorship will occur. There is always a price to pay for liberty.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic

@clyde46: Yeah. I'm not sure where you are going with that. Are you agreeing or disagreeing? Cause I'm quite the agreeable person.:P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By uninspiredcup

@LJS9502_basic said:

@clyde46: Yeah. I'm not sure where you are going with that. Are you agreeing or disagreeing? Cause I'm quite the agreeable person.:P

Assuming he wants to be right: Agreeing.

Factually: America has the highest number of school shootings on record. What was said was factually correct; making me correct. Forever.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

@uninspiredcup said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Factually: America has the highest number of school shootings on record. What was said was factually correct; making me correct. Forever.

No what you said was not factually correct and I think he has more sense than you are giving him credit. Anyway I meant agreeing with me...not your ass pulled facts.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup

@LJS9502_basic said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

No what you said was not factually correct and I think he has more sense than you are giving him credit. Anyway I meant agreeing with me...not your ass pulled facts.

It's a fact. Saying "no" is not an argument.

I am right. Reality has deemed it so.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

@uninspiredcup:

If you think of reality as stupidity.....

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 parkurtommo

@GarGx1 said:

@parkurtommo:

1. The US is a massive market and they can and do affect game development and sales. They don't need proof just the ears of the media and therefore the masses, just look at the influence that Anita con artisit woman appears to have.

2. I'm not American but I'm not blinkered enough to beleive that the country with more large game publishers and developers than any other cannot influence the games I play

It can influence the industry but not "censor" it or prevent it's expansion. Hence why Hatred should still be made, even if it causes huge controversy and stupid affiliations to mass shootings that had nothing to do with the game. Again, you can already do this shit in GTA, Postal, Red Faction Guerilla, Saints Row, etc. etc.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup

@LJS9502_basic said:

@uninspiredcup:

Attempting to insult people will not change reality or facts. You argued a point and lost.

I am the best in the world.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@uninspiredcup said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@uninspiredcup:

Attempting to insult people will not change reality or facts. You argued a point and lost.

Not an insult...it's the reality of your posts. You made up facts and whine that it's true and you are right. There is no discussion with delusion dude.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By uninspiredcup

@LJS9502_basic said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@uninspiredcup:

Not an insult...it's the reality of your posts. You made up facts and whine that it's true and you are right. There is no discussion with delusion dude.

It appears America is so blood thirsty, it alone; can be stacked against 36 other countries.

No more potty talk please: I am right (again).

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

If the game was made by someone more popular like Rockstar then it would still be on Steam.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

@sts106mat said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

f=

Head in the sand?

Your posts back up that he was wrong. He said it happens every 30 seconds. Read better perhaps before getting on your high horse. FYI...Obama isn't a fact though.

WeddingRing40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WeddingRing40
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Well...Steam is ripe with steam, considering all the fecal matter that gets dumped into it.

Valve should focus on not bringing out the next '83 game industry crash. Would probably be best for the industry if they just packed it up.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic

@sts106mat said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@sts106mat said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

f=

Head in the sand?

Your posts back up that he was wrong. He said it happens every 30 seconds. Read better perhaps before getting on your high horse. FYI...Obama isn't a fact though.

I highly doubt that you are arguing about "30 seconds" comment, which is clearly hyperbole. What you said (and were arguing about) was that they happen rarely, if more per year than the rest of the world = "rarely" perhaps you have become desensitized to it.

I provided additional FACTS for you to consider aswell.

His entire post was wrong.....they do rarely happen. Look at your timeline you posted.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clyde46

How did this become a argument about school shootings?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 uninspiredcup

@LJS9502_basic said:

@sts106mat said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@sts106mat said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

f=

Head in the sand?

I highly doubt that you are arguing about "30 seconds" comment, which is clearly hyperbole. What you said (and were arguing about) was that they happen rarely, if more per year than the rest of the world = "rarely" perhaps you have become desensitized to it.

I provided additional FACTS for you to consider aswell.

His entire post was wrong.....they do rarely happen. Look at your timeline you posted.

My friend: You have been defeated, the entire world can see it. Now this is just becoming embarrassing,

Being Scottish, I am incredibly humble and will happily admit when wrong. Apparently this virtues trait doesn't apply to you. :/