Have the Japanese ever created an AAA multiplayer game?*

• 116 results
#1 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8512 posts) -

* A game that is NOT an MMO or a fighter.

With the latest revelation regarding Nintendo's ponderings on Mario Maker, I've been wondering if the Japanese studios have even a rudimentary understanding about online capabilities of games.

Can you name one Japanese AAA game (from this or last gen) with strong multiplayer portion that is not an MMO (or a fighting game for that matter) that has been released in the West?

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (39935 posts) -

Souls games?

#3 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8512 posts) -

Souls games?

Something that is not an absolute garbage on a technical level, but good try, I haven't thought of that.

#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (8250 posts) -

Street Fighter X Taken.

#5 Edited by scottpsfan14 (4637 posts) -

Lol. Lems really hate the Japanese.

Racist bastards!!

#6 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8512 posts) -

Racist bastards!!

Not a lem, you pigeonholing bastard.

#7 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11390 posts) -

Uhm...... I don't know... Lost Planet 2 was AAA right ?

#8 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4637 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

Racist bastards!!

Not a lem, you pigeonholing bastard.

Erm, I think you are. You are MS biggest damage controller on SW lol. No bad words about Xbox or you out right flip. You are clueless any way so what should anybody care?

#9 Edited by kinectthedots (1638 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

Racist bastards!!

Pretty much.

Thread backfired after first post.

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@freedomfreak said:

Souls games?

Something that is not an absolute garbage on a technical level, but good try, I haven't thought of that.

TC had no reponce except ignorance and idiotic fanboyism

Hey TC, Demon's Souls was not only AAA but GOTY. Complete thread fail.

Lock thread and Ban Dumb TC

#10 Edited by Jag85 (4455 posts) -

When it comes to offline multiplayer, there's loads, with Japanese games probably being second to none in that area.

As far as online multiplayer goes, a few examples I can think of:

• Metal Gear Online
  • Final Fantasy XI & XIV
  • Action RPG's, e.g. Phantasy Star Online, Monster Hunter, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, etc.
  • Fighting games, e.g. Street Fighter, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, etc.
  • Arcade games, e.g. Initial D, Border Break, Gunslinger Stratos, etc.

#11 Edited by bforrester420 (1431 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@freedomfreak said:

Souls games?

You sure do like adding caveats to the question posed in your thread title. *No MMO, no Figthers, and they can't be technically weak. Anything else you want to omit to prove your very, very narrow point?

#12 Edited by Krelian-co (10637 posts) -
#13 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8512 posts) -

Why do you cows care so much about Japan when clearly Japan doesn't love PS4 :'( ? I'm just calling spade a spade.

#14 Posted by kinectthedots (1638 posts) -

LMAO, TC keeps editing his OP to exclude games that people mention that he didn't have any knowledge of.

Complete thread backfire, what an idiot.

#15 Posted by freedomfreak (39935 posts) -

I wouldn't exactly call Souls games "absolute garbage" on a technical level.

Still, it is a triple AAA multiplayer experience.

#16 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8512 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@freedomfreak said:

Souls games?

You sure do like adding caveats to the question posed in your thread title. *No MMO, no Figthers, and they can't be technically weak. Anything else you want to omit to prove your very, very narrow point?

Shut up, noob. Actually I think Chromehounds (a game you don't even have any idea of) at one point had a hardcore online community and sold decently in Japan. It was also made by From Software by the way. Any other examples in that vein?

#17 Edited by scottpsfan14 (4637 posts) -
@Salt_The_Fries said:

Why do you cows care so much about Japan when clearly Japan doesn't love PS4 :'( ? I'm just calling spade a spade.

Do you have a problem that Japan tend not to make military shooters and horror games? They are just different. It's not that I 'care so much about them', it's that I just don't have anything against them like people like you do.

#18 Posted by Krelian-co (10637 posts) -

ahhh here it is, i knew there was some dumb point to this thread-

#19 Posted by kinectthedots (1638 posts) -

Damn what a flip flop in subject matter. Why do cows are about japan, is that what this thread is about now? lol WOW. When people lable you a stupid fanboy in love with all things xbox they are just calling a spade a spade as well.

Why are you such an ignorant racist shit head? You were proven wrong after the first reply, all other posts and OP *EDITS for you after were a display of your childish lemming sore looser mentality.

#20 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11390 posts) -

@Krelian-co

And people say I'm petty.

#21 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17336 posts) -

Does it matter?

#22 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25132 posts) -

Game was complete Garbage according to many, but It's the Best Selling Resident Evil game to date.

Heck I even have it on Steam.

#23 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1461 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@freedomfreak said:

Souls games?

Exactly. I mean, what is left? FPS or TPS? What genre is the TC trying to get at here? He should have just made that apparent from the beginning.

#24 Edited by Heirren (16823 posts) -

With the latest revelation regarding Nintendo's ponderings on Mario Maker, I've been wondering if the Japanese studios have even a rudimentary understanding about online capabilities of games.

Can you name one Japanese AAA game (from this or last gen) with strong multiplayer portion that is not an MMO (or a fighting game for that matter) that has been released in the West?

Mario Kart 7 and 8.

But what is the point? There's an obvious cultural difference. Look at what happened to Resident Evil when this type of mentality got to publishers--let's make a unique experience into a cookie cutter one. Maybe a better question is when was the last online multiplayer game released actually a solid, unique experience. The last game I can think of that truly shined was Halo 3. COD blows, Killzone blows, and just about any cookie cutter fps has a crappy online portion.

#25 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

@kinectthedots: "TC had no reponce except ignorance and idiotic fanboyism

Hey TC, Demon's Souls was not only AAA but GOTY. Complete thread fail.

Lock thread and Ban Dumb TC"

Yeah. That's pretty much the only recourse after the monumental owning tc has received.

#26 Posted by Heil68 (43891 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Souls games?

Way to limit results to meet your OP..lolz

#27 Posted by starwolf474 (602 posts) -

Mario Kart

#28 Posted by Vecna (3394 posts) -

Came to this thread expecting stupid. Was not let down. Thank you op.

#29 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27497 posts) -

Err Mario kart, smash bros, wii sports?

#30 Posted by gameofthering (10191 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart: I thought it was Resident Evil 5 that was the best selling game.

#31 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7119 posts) -

Monster Hunter 3

Mario Kart 8

fighters

There really aren't that many that I would say are great experiences. I would say the same about western online games, too.

#32 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5387 posts) -
  • Mario Kart
  • Pokemon
  • Monster Hunter
#33 Edited by blamix99 (1812 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Souls games?

wow you really must hate hard games

#34 Edited by parkurtommo (26734 posts) -

Uhm...... I don't know... Lost Planet 2 was AAA right ?

It was... unfortunately.

It had competent network capabilities. And that was probably it's strength too. I actually enjoyed the multiplayer and co op, I played it a lot.

#35 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8842 posts) -

1) it was proven multiple times that the Mario Maker not having online sharing was completely false

2) why eliminate two entire genres to make a point? Japan is the leading manufacturer of quality fighting games and are well ahead of the west in their online offerings for said genre. Deal with it

#36 Posted by pyro1245 (726 posts) -

Most of the stuff Nintendo releases is technically AAA.

Also AAA is pretty much meaningless.

#37 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7119 posts) -

@blamix99 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@freedomfreak said:

Souls games?

wow you really must hate hard games

I like hard games, and I agree with his statement on Demon's Souls. Difficulty is the only thing the game does well, imo.

#38 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8512 posts) -

Don't get me wrong, I own Dark Souls and not as a freebie from Games with Gold, I bought it myself. The game is very fine, however it's a technical disaster which has very hard time hitting 25-30 fps consistently.

#39 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8512 posts) -

Oh, come on, I excluded two types of games I know they had something decent in, but suddenly you act as if there were no other genres. That must mean MMOs and fighting games comprise 95% of all video game genres.

#40 Edited by bforrester420 (1431 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@bforrester420 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@freedomfreak said:

Souls games?

Shut up, noob. Actually I think Chromehounds (a game you don't even have any idea of) at one point had a hardcore online community and sold decently in Japan. It was also made by From Software by the way. Any other examples in that vein?

LOL...noob...my feelings are hurt because some hardcore gamer nerd called me a noob! And you're right, I've never heard of Chromehounds. I have hobbies outside of gaming. Gaming is towards the bottom of my to-do. None of this makes your incredibly exclusionary criteria any less ridiculous.

When was the last time you saw boobs in the 3rd dimension?

#41 Posted by SecretPolice (21701 posts) -

Whelp, I guess it wouldn't be considered AAA but I loved PSO. :)

#42 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25132 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart: I thought it was Resident Evil 5 that was the best selling game.

Oh snap you're right! My bad! Still legitimate Answer for TC.

#43 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11390 posts) -

@parkurtommo

I played it Alone... :( 4 times

#44 Edited by blackace (20547 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Monster Hunter maybe.

Err Mario kart, smash bros, wii sports?

He said "no fighting games", but Mario Kart & Wii Sports fit the bill.

#45 Edited by PyratRum (561 posts) -

Metal Gear Online

Armored Core V/Verdict Day

Lost Planet/Lost Planet 2

Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation

Gran Turismo 6

Mobile Ops: One Year War

Chromehounds (it had a hardcore following in the West as well)

Despite your "opinion," the Souls series very much counts.

And how the hell do you not mention Monster Hunter!?

Seems to me that you have a very skewed view of Japanese developers and their capabilities in the online space. You'll be hard pressed to find many Western online multiplayer games that surpass the depth and complexity of Armored Core V/Verdict Day.

#46 Posted by foxhound_fox (88026 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Souls games?

His answer fulfilled your original criteria. Don't go moving the goal posts.

There is also Monster Hunter, Gran Turismo and the various Metal Gear Online ventures Kojima has taken.

#47 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4637 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries: Look, I'm not being a cunt here, but your avatar pisses me off. Obnoxious as hell.

#48 Posted by thehig1 (1658 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries: Look, I'm not being a cunt here, but your avatar pisses me off. Obnoxious as hell.

what is his avatar, I have no idea what it is ?

#49 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4637 posts) -
@thehig1 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Nor do I. It's shit tho. Dat face needs punching.

#50 Posted by freedomfreak (39935 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Look, I'm not being a cunt here, but your avatar pisses me off. Obnoxious as hell.

A character from the TV show "Twin Peaks"