Have Naughty Dog finally outdone Valve?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Have Naughty Dog finally outdone Valve? (33 votes)

Naughhty Dog are better now 39%
Valve still the best, sucker 61%

If this was 2007 and the question was raised, everyone would rally behind Valve with unyielding pride. Now I'm not so sure, Valves quality bar has dropped and they wander off like a distracted kid doing silly stuff rather than making cool games for popular people.

I need your thoughts. Have Naughty Dog surpassed Valve at long last?

• 
lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

even 343i studio outdone valve

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 0

#2 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

Even though Valve never makes anything anymore, nothing ND has made comes close to Half-Life 2 and Portal 2.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

Naughty dog have to make games Valve doesn't and even then you can't compare Naughty dog to Valve they are slaves to Sony. Valve makes more money from Steam that Naughty dog could dream of

Cassar31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cassar31
Member since 2015 • 101 Posts

Surpased with what? Valve changed the way the industry makes first person shooters and how the audience perceives them. They imprinted a new direction to an entire industry with Half Life. By themselves. Their stamp is in Bioshock, Call of Duty, Metro and yes, Uncharted series as well. Then they did it again, not another paradigm shift in gaming, but an traumaticly good game, with Half Life 2. Then they invented Steam.

Naughty Dog makes linear games that strangle player agency and gameplay options. They have poor controls, camera, enemies and gunfights. They have automatic platforming where you just push the stick forward and the game play itself. Then the remaining gameplay is made of michael bay style of scripted scenes, setpieces where you follow the designers direction, also by mostly pushing the stick forward. Then you watch hours of cutscenes. Its the most superficial and sterile series out there.

Uncharted is a series that gathers a lot of what is wrong in gamedesign and puts it all into one game. But the mass audience loves it of course, first of all because its eclusive to playstation. And we all know thats half the battle already won. Then because a lot of colours and explosions happen on screen, elevated by high fidelity and polish and thats enough for gamers to mistake it for a good game. I mean a game made of scripts and cutscenes that almost plays itself would be more apealing than something cerebral for console players.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Both are amazing developers imho.

When developers trying NEW IPs and delivering epicness or close to that every generation .

Last generation some of my best games comes from both ND and Valve. I had a blast with PORTAL and im still playing CS GO as we speak. Then i can say the same for the amazing THE LAST OF US and UNCHARTED series.

On technical level i think ND is not only better than VALVE but better than every single developer out there.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#7 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I'll only say yes because Valve hasn't really put out a decent game since 2010.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Naughty doesn't set landmarks like valve did with the halflife series, they do set landmarks though but valve was something different.

Crytek was even better imo, If you were (un)lucky enough to see crysis in all its glory when it released, it was pretty frustrating to see that nothing could really top it for years.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Valve has gone down the shitter so yeah.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34778 Posts

Lol. No.

Lavenders2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lavenders2001
Member since 2014 • 58 Posts

Valve single-handedly took a platform and turned it into the behemoth it is today. The platform is currently home to the most profitable game in the world, among with many other top sellers. They also completely revolutionized cinematic storytelling and have created some of the highest rated games of all time.

Naughty dog just happens to make a few top games for a single console. Definitely highly rated, but none have really moved any genre or the platform forward in any significant way.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25064 Posts

Valve do not make games any more.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Valve has made some of the most ground breaking games in the past but they don't make games like that anymore.

Naughty Dog on other has never made something revolutionary like that but instead they took existing formulas and improved upon them every way possible, especially with their latest games like TLOU and UC4, which are brilliant.

Valve isn't the same company anymore. Valve won back then. ND wins today.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Valve haven't released in awhile (CS: GO) and seem content with where they are currently. So I guess ND (and other devs) are ahead of them.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

This poll is biased because 90% people here don't own PC gaming and they vote for ND no matter how good or bad those games are.

Quality bar has dropped? lol? you claim that CS:GO and Dota 2 are bad games? When did you checked CS:GO? Valve has released new graphics upgrade and remaking all older maps into new. Same goes with Dota 2.

Dota 2 rating by 500 000 users = 91% positive reviews, CSGO 1.3 million reviews = 93% positive reviews.

If i asked Uncharted game to have over 1.3 million reviews by users, i wouldn't find because those number reviews shows how those games outsold Uncharted 10 time more.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#16 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49592 Posts

Fad topics are lame.