Hate to say it....but consoles are winning

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

This is just my impression, purely emotional and anecdotal yet I will include examples of why I think the way I do.

I have been PC gaming since the early 90's when I discovered Star Wars X-Wing and could not believe the screenshots on the back of the box. As all old school gamers should recall the screenshots on the box always look 300x better than the actual game, but I digress. The point is the graphics, sound, gameplay was all leagues above the Sega Genesis games I was playing at the time.

So anyway, my point is I have been around a while and have been an exclusive PC gamer since 1993'ish. Consoles and the PC were always very different from one another with a few standouts....game UI's, first person WASD/mouse play, and depth.

So now I am finding more and more, much to my displeasure, that the closer consoles become to being PC's...the closer PC's are to becoming consoles. Quite the paradox.

My impressions on this:

UI

It seems to me every cross platform release has a console UI. PC gamers will know what I am talking about. I love PC game menus I can click through with ease, but typically I find myself having to shift through a ton of crap that is obviously meant for a controller.

Controls and 1st vs. 3rd person

All games coming out now seem to have this weird 3rd person spin in a circle controller combat. It is just awkward playing this crap with a keyboard and mouse. These new release seem to mostly contain control meant to be played with a controller. Historically the only PC gaming you needed a controller for was sports gaming. I always had my madden controller, other than that the thing collected dust. The most recent and prevalent exceptions to this off the top of my head would be Farcry 3 and Bioshock Infinite. Farcry 3 had the terrible console UI, but featured pretty good PC control.

Depth

We've all heard the term dumbed down and it has been beaten to death. Not much to say here other than I agree, if the game is released on both consoles and the PC you can bet your arse it is going to be watered/dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.....the console.

To sum it up, if a game is released on the PC and console you can bet your arse it will be designed to use a controller, have a crap console UI, and lack the depth of a PC exclusive. The problem is the majority of big titles these days seem to be released on both platforms, we are seeing less PC exclusives than ever. It is too costly for dev's to make a PC version and a console version that are not 99% copies of one another, so it seems this trend is here to stay and get worse with time.

Take from it what you want, just needed to rant more than anything. Seriously disappointed with the state of things.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

Honestly I agree with this in some ways. It is truly disgusting how some developers treat the PC and that is why I will never buy their games for more than $5 on sale (usually less than that, I often find myself paying $2). Having a better looking version of a shitty console game isn't good enough for me. Only if a game has a legitamtely good PC version will I ever consider spending more.There is hope though. We have awesome games like Planetside 2 on PC and if you enjoy strategy games you have a ton of great options to choose from as well. Witcher 3 should also be fantastic on PC :)

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

I've pc gamed since the early 80's, and consoles have always had the better games, and the better gaming experience. the pc elitist crowd are newb gamers who don't know any better.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Its not consoles fault, its the console audience that is to blame.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@farrell2k said:

PCs are not becoming consoles! Consoles have been emulating PCs for a decade! Your PC is so versatile that it can play like a console as well.

Except that PC troubleshooting requires you to scour the internet for solutions and sometimes crying for help on forums. Unless you have the patience for that, and assuming that there are people willing to help you, and assuming your problem isn't so unique that nobody else has the same problem...you're better off gaming on a console. And we haven't even talked about the more cryptic aspects of PC gaming, which require you to read up hardware benchmarks to find out which is the more 'value for money' gfx card. GTX 780 and GTX Titan comparison comes to mind. One is 90-95% the power of the other for half the price. And after all that, read up about Anti-Aliasing (which includes MSAA, FXAA, TXAA, SMAA), Anisotropic Filtering, V-sync, Tesselation, HDR Lighting and how these settings affect your visual quality versus the power consumption.

You do all that....then you're ready for some PC gaming. The problem is that Hermits don't know better, and think that it's all part and parcel of gaming, while it actually doesn't have to be.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clyde46

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

PCs are not becoming consoles! Consoles have been emulating PCs for a decade! Your PC is so versatile that it can play like a console as well.

Except that PC troubleshooting requires you to scour the internet for solutions and sometimes crying for help on forums. Unless you have the patience for that, and assuming that there are people willing to help you, and assuming your problem isn't so unique that nobody else has the same problem...you're better off gaming on a console. And we haven't even talked about the more cryptic aspects of PC gaming, which require you to read up hardware benchmarks to find out which is the more 'value for money' gfx card. GTX 780 and GTX Titan comparison comes to mind. One is 90-95% the power of the other for half the price. And after all that, read up about Anti-Aliasing (which includes MSAA, FXAA, TXAA, SMAA), Anisotropic Filtering, V-sync, Tesselation, HDR Lighting and how these settings affect your visual quality versus the power consumption.

You do all that....then you're ready for some PC gaming. The problem is that Hermits don't know better, and think that it's all part and parcel of gaming, while it actually doesn't have to be.

You make it seem like reading benchmarks is a bad thing.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

lol so much horseshit in TC's words

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

consoles have always won, there is nothing new here.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rage010101

@farrell2k said:

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

Oh, please! How many problems did PS3 users have will Fallout and Skyrim? There there are the 360 freezing on various games, including Halo 4.

lol there is no fix for when a console game has issues. console kids are forced to pray and hope devs patch it up. while on the other hand, pc gamers usually just fix it themselves, at a very scary speed. take dark souls on pc for example, the game was patched the same day it released lol

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Well the gaming industry is so mainstream now a days that you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. You have to make things simple enough that an average 6 year old can understand.

An average PC gamer (who games on a PC dedicated to core PC gaming) is an enthusiast compared to the average console gamer.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rage010101

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

So to summarize what you said, stick to consoles if you're stupid. Go pc gaming if you have a brain and know how to use it. Gotcha.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jhcho2
@clyde46 said:

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

Reading benchmarks is essentially the same thing as doing research. Since when is research ever a bad thing? But are you saying that we are all required to do research just because it's not a bad thing?

It's important to make the distinction between what could be a personal interest, versus what is fundamentally required. People who spend a lot of time reading up on hardware, be it consoles or gadgets, all have one thing in common - they are as enthusiastic about the hardware itself as the features the hardware can perform. Some people just want to remove the hardware aspect from the equation and worry about the games.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

I just hope more games will come out on pc. These companies basically go where their stuff sells and there is much less of a threat as far as piracy on consoles....... These companies are trying to lock their stuff up. A console is basically the same as a pc with the user having less control. It's the same hardware and OS for that matter.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jhcho2

@farrell2k said:

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

Oh, please! How many problems did PS3 users have will Fallout and Skyrim? There there are the 360 freezing on various games, including Halo 4.

You make it sound the the PC version of Skyrim was free of problems. I bought the PC version and it was F'ed up at release. Trees were blue in color and monsters were flying about in the sky. I remember getting stomped into the sky by a giant. You have to make relative comparisons here

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By clyde46

@Rage010101 said:

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

So to summarize what you said, stick to consoles if you're stupid. Go pc gaming if you have a brain and know how to use it. Gotcha.

Not true. Just because consoles don't offer the same level of adjustment that PC games too doesn't make them any less interesting...

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#18 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@farrell2k said:

I don't think you understood what I meant by this sentence. PC's are becoming more like consoles in that the games are being designed for consoles, not the PC. So basically you are stuck playing console games with your PC that can do SO much more. In other words....we agree and you just didn't know it.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jhcho2
@Rage010101 said:

@farrell2k said:

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

lol there is no fix for when a console game has issues. console kids are forced to pray and hope devs patch it up. while on the other hand, pc gamers usually just fix it themselves, at a very scary speed. take dark souls on pc for example, the game was patched the same day it released lol

Or, you can look at it another way. Issues on consoles are universal to everyone, and will be detected and patched up. Issues on PC can be so specific to a small group of users that searching is required. That part I personally would prefer to avoid if I can

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fishsticklover
Member since 2013 • 252 Posts

PC games are dumbed down not because of consoles but because most PC's are low spec computers

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 clyde46

@jhcho2 said:
@Rage010101 said:

@farrell2k said:

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

Or, you can look at it another way. Issues on consoles are universal to everyone, and will be detected and patched up. Issues on PC can be so specific to a small group of users that searching is required. That part I personally would prefer to avoid if I can

True however if there is a problem that affects a game, on the PC I can deal with it rather than sit twiddling my thumbs waiting for Sony and MS to run the patch through their certification processes.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Man tc sure loves making PC gamers look bad.

SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

pc's are dying....however it is not console's faults, it is the tablet.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

@vfibsux said:

This is just my impression, purely emotional and anecdotal.

Well, at least you had the decency to tell me in the first sentence so I could write off the rest as worthless before I started reading it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clyde46

@SageJMP said:

pc's are dying....however it is not console's faults, it is the tablet.

Desktop PC's, maybe not but tablets have tolled the bell on the laptop.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jhcho2
@clyde46 said:

@jhcho2 said:
@Rage010101 said:

@farrell2k said:

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

True however if there is a problem that affects a game, on the PC I can deal with it rather than sit twiddling my thumbs waiting for Sony and MS to run the patch through their certification processes.

I have to agree with that. But that's assuming that you are savvy enough to fix the code yourself, or hope that someone else savvy enough has the exact same problem as you. And this can really be a problem when playing non-mainstream games. The best example I have was when I bought Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition recently.

A simple problem: Can I or can I not use my save file from the original BG2 in BG2:EE? Pasting my old save files in the BG2:EE folder didn't work.

I scoured the internet. Nobody ever asked this question before. So I was unlucky in that nobody who had the knowledge bothered trying it. I eventually solved that problem. It appears that you can. You must change the save file extension from upper case to lower case. That's some really cryptic shit right there!! I don't know about you, but I hate this aspect of the PC. And in this case, it appears not many people bought the EE edition and there weren't that many solutions to problems flying around.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Even though I kind of agree with you, what kind of exclusives do you speak of? Because in my recollection PC has never been known as the exclusive dominator.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Another gen, another claim of PC losing or dying.

And like all those other gens that claim is made, PC ends up winning at the end with the most aaa/aa titles (exclusive and total) and the best gfx and performance with the best and brightest competative scene to date.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

@Rage010101 said:

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

LMAO! do you honestly believe this, or is this just system war schtick? honest question.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

22 Years of gaming on a pc have plyed through the widest range of genres of games have played the best pc games the best console ports have been able to fix any problem I have ever had and it is the strongest now than it has neen in a while...the pc may get some botched console ports (less than ever nowadays) but the far worst thing is that consoles are getting all the hassle of pc's without none of the benefits of an open platform.

To me that is much much worse.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jhcho2
@Vaasman said:

@vfibsux said:

This is just my impression, purely emotional and anecdotal.

Well, at least you had the decency to tell me in the first sentence so I could write off the rest as worthless before I started reading it.

It's just his way of saying that it's his opinion, not fact. And do you really think that what people say here are anything other than an impression or an anecdote? Sales figures are anecdotes. Hardware failures are anecdotes. Platform preferences are pretty much impressions. Graphical benchmarks are....yup...anecdotes. Collective anecdotes lead to conclusive deductions.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

most common problems doing a 5 minute search are easy enough to fix. This is not the 90's with not internet accessibility

Also i will gladly take 10-20 minutes find a fix for BF4 rather waiting weeks for an official patch to be released. Also i will gladly take the 5-10 minutes it will take me to change a faulty component on pc rather sending it for repair like consoles and waiting weeks to get it back

Also nowdays you dont need to be hardware expert or anything to read a 10 minute article to understand what gpu's offer the best value ( let alone nowdays as long as you are shopping in the $150-300 category you cant go wrong no matter what you choose even if your choice is slightly worse than another choice )

Finally long are the days you have to manually download patches. Now days is as streamlined as consoles are

So no pc gaming is not the inaccessible medium for gaming that was in the 90's early 00's ( not that it was that inaccessible but whatever ) nor is difficult to get into unlike some consolites think here

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

Damn dude that sounded fun...Imma gonna read some tech wiki articles now thanks to you!

Gotta figure my next build too.

SteXmaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#35  Edited By SteXmaN
Member since 2012 • 550 Posts

I would love to own PC,ps4 and xbox but right now i can only focus on one platform and if i could afford ps4 and/or xbox i would have to wait for the exclusives and there is like 1-2 exclusive game per year that is worth my time.

Every multiplatform title will look and play better on PC so there is no reason for me to get a PS4 right now,or ever.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

How do you even define winning?...Last time i checked everybody can play the same game

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

wow, what a load of bullshit

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61479 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

Yes and no. I have BF4 on the 360, and it's just stupidly broken. The solution? None. Wait. Hope the devs decide to fix their shit.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@jhcho2 said:
And this can really be a problem when playing non-mainstream games. The best example I have was when I bought Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition recently.

A simple problem: Can I or can I not use my save file from the original BG2 in BG2:EE? Pasting my old save files in the BG2:EE folder didn't work.

I scoured the internet. Nobody ever asked this question before. So I was unlucky in that nobody who had the knowledge bothered trying it. I eventually solved that problem. It appears that you can. You must change the save file extension from upper case to lower case. That's some really cryptic shit right there!! I don't know about you, but I hate this aspect of the PC. And in this case, it appears not many people bought the EE edition and there weren't that many solutions to problems flying around.

How many console games will allow you to transfer a save game from the late 90's original to the current (2012?) remake? I can't remember any. That's not a normal situation even on the PC.

If that's a problem, then start over with with the new version.

As for menus..... I don't see a big difference either. There wasn't really a clear standard for menus on PC games. Some were good. Some were bad like their console brethen. Heck. Quake 1 and Quake 2 didn't even use a mouse on the menu screens.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

@jhcho2 said:

@farrell2k said:

Yes whereas console troubleshooting is almost non-existant by the end user. You have to wait for shit to be fixed by developers. That goes for both the software and the hardware.

legol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By legol1
Member since 2005 • 1998 Posts

@clyde46:

dev follow the money, console gamers a ready to pay 60$ for a legit new game .pc gamer are not .

Syncotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Syncotic
Member since 2013 • 83 Posts

I'm just gonna put it out there but I prefer owning a console for gaming over a PC for 3 reasons.

1. My console OS's doesn't stuff as much as my PC or get viruses and I hate losing my saves when I reformat for reasons other then gaming.

2. The games they make now like OP said don't utilize the full potential of PC power.

3. Being in the computer industry and using a PC allot, I just can't motivate myself to play games using mouse and keyboard, I want a change.

dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dogfather76
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

Winning what?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By lundy86_4  Online

@legol1 said:

@clyde46:

dev follow the money, console gamers a ready to pay 60$ for a legit new game .pc gamer are not .

Certain games do launch at $60 on PC, and PC gamers do buy them. Case in point: Diablo 3.

Furthermore, the $60 price tag, is attributed to the royalty fees charged by the console manufacturers, which comes in at around $7-10 IIRC.

legol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 legol1
Member since 2005 • 1998 Posts

@lundy86_4:

so where is gta5 for pc ?

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@vfibsux said:

UI

It seems to me every cross platform release has a console UI. PC gamers will know what I am talking about. I love PC game menus I can click through with ease, but typically I find myself having to shift through a ton of crap that is obviously meant for a controller.

Controls and 1st vs. 3rd person

All games coming out now seem to have this weird 3rd person spin in a circle controller combat. It is just awkward playing this crap with a keyboard and mouse.

Depth

We've all heard the term dumbed down and it has been beaten to death. Not much to say here other than I agree, if the game is released on both consoles and the PC you can bet your arse it is going to be watered/dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.....the console.

Your points about UI are kinda dumb. What's this "ton of crap" that you have to click through that wasn't on PCs all along? Even Crysis 1 had a menu and UI similar to what is in a modern console game

Controls? Just stick a bloody 360 pad in to play third person games like I do and switch back to mouse for whatever else. PC isn't one or the other, it's part of the reason I like the system

Your points about depth are dumb too, if stuff is being made for a lower denominator and therefore that's bad then how do consoles win if they're the shitty lower denominator it's being made for? The PC version is still better, even if by a small amount sometimes, for it's flexibility and suite of options yet the consoles win because of that? Doesn't make sense

What a load of horse shit

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@legol1 said:

@lundy86_4:

Non existent for the exact reason he said, devs follow where the money is because console owners pay more for games.

If it came out for PC it would only be like 40 euro compared to the 70 I paid for the PS3 version

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lundy86_4  Online

@legol1 said:

@lundy86_4:

Where is Star Citizen on consoles? Where is the Total War series? Starcraft? ARMA? DOTA2? Football Manager?

Are you noticing the sheer idiocy of your statements yet?

----

There is a viable market on all systems.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Winning at what? Being second class gaming platforms?