Has the West overtaken Japan in the fighting genre?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58890 Posts

Games like Injustice feature superior story-telling and deeper fighting systems with interactive environments and other fairly innovative ideas for the genre (like wager). Can we agree, that... for the time being, the west is currently making superior fighting titles?

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 uninspiredcup  Online

I didn't include killing instincezs since this is a pile of shit compared to warn bros fighters.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I didn't include killing instincezs since this is a pile of shit compared to warn bros fighters.

@danabo said:

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Naaaaah.

The Japanese love their fighting games to be deep while we over here are dumbing them down for the LCD. I'm willing to bet money it's still way more popular in Japan.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

What else other than Injustice/Mortal Kombat is there from the west? Divekick maybe?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Nope. Japan (via Capcom, ArcSystem, SEGA and Namco) still has the genre in thr bag

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Games like Injustice feature superior story-telling and deeper fighting systems with interactive environments and other fairly innovative ideas for the genre (like wager). Can we agree, that... for the time being, the west is currently making superior fighting titles?

and with that your thread lost all credibility.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

Japan makes games of chicken with a 60 second timer, Japan doesn't even have fighting sims, how can they make fighting games? Japanese "fighting games" are barely fighters as it is (also Killer Instinct also falls in this category.) Most japanese fighting games still don't have accurate dodging, weakpoints, and more than 5 frames of animation for punches and kicks.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Sales wise at least it looks like it,otherwise not so much.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jakandsigz

@Gue1 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Injustice is indeed garbage.

but to call those japanese fighting games fight modes "fighting systems" is laughable. I would say in japan VF is the closest they will get to people actually "fighting".

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

if they did they did it 10 years after i stopped giving a damn about fighters.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Hahaha no. Injustice and MK are good but to call them the deepest fighting games is silly. Also Japan still outnumbers the rest with quantity and quality.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Persona 4 arena is better in everyway. Then you have the street fighters series which is still more solid than anything from the west. Then you have guilty gear. So no, American fighting games aren't worth a shit in comparison because your example of injustice is just mortal kombat reskinned with dc characters. And if you think injustice has good story telling you have issues. Besides, who the hell plays a fighting game for its story?

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jakandsigz

@Capitan_Kid said:

Hahaha no. Injustice and MK are good but to call them the deepest fighting games is silly. Also Japan still outnumbers the rest with quantity and quality.

Quality fighters almost don't exist unless they are sims or hve story modes that actually matter. All other fighters are in the same limited time warp they were 15 years ago. 3d fighters are slowly doing better.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uninspiredcup  Online

@Gue1 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

But it is. It's also more progressive with innovative ideas.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Gargus said:

@uninspiredcup said:Besides, who the hell plays a fighting game for its story?

I use to also share this obnoxious cantankerous ridiculous opinion. But then I played Injustice and saw with my own 1 eye that these genres can indeed have not just good stories... but great stories.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts
@Jakandsigz said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

Quality fighters almost don't exist unless they are sims or hve story modes that actually matter. All other fighters are in the same limited time warp they were 15 years ago. 3d fighters are slowly doing better.

I can't understand what you're upset about. That fighting games aren't as realistic as you'd want them too be? Or they aren't properly suited for single player?

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jakandsigz

@Lucianu said:
@Jakandsigz said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

I can't understand what you're upset about. That fighting games aren't as realistic as you'd want them too be? Or they aren't properly suited for single player?

They are the same as they were mostly 15+ years ago.

There is no focus on evasion.

Blocking is restricted to seeing who is less scared of staying out of defense longer.

Body part damage has only been done ONCE (outside of fighting sims)

There is no vertical block (MK seems to be the only exception)

There is no retraction to change strategy. you have to stick with what you do or what happens to you 100%

The frames of animation per move animation is to unrealistically small for most of the above to even work well in most japanese fighting games (and Killer instinct.)

Collision is still not weight based making punches and kicks pointless there than kicks being lower punches practically.

and soooo much more. Some of which was done before but removed because of change. It's why the genre is getting more and more niche.

It has nothing to do with realism, it has to do with we are still playing fighters the same way since 1994. Literally, all there is to the changes is glitter and more games have tag matches. I am not saying that the fictional like fighting games need to be sims, but the fact we are playing most exactly the same as 1995 is indeed the saddest thing I have seen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 06
Member since 2003 • 998 Posts

I used to play Japanese fighters, but ever since the new mk and injustice I havnt gone back, I loved blaz, even platnimed the first one but because of NR I havnt gone back to them, I even bought the newest one played it one time then never touched it again, not because it's a bad game but I just find NR fighters more fun, especially injustice.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

@Gargus said:

I use to also share this obnoxious cantankerous ridiculous opinion. But then I played Injustice and saw with my own 1 eye that these genres can indeed have not just good stories... but great stories.

All fighting games actually do have a plot, but it's in the backstory, in the lore, and a little of in-game plot progression here and there. Ex., if you actually pay attention to the plot of the Street Fighter Alpha series, it's pretty damn nice. Same goes for the Orochi Saga of KoF 95, 96 and 97. The reason why i'm a fan of Street Fighter in the first place is mostly because of the very interesting backstory.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 06

@Gargus: yah if you think that injustce is mk with just different skins then you have no idea what your talking about, I have played both offline and online so much that I know you don't know what your talking about, they may play somewhat similar, meaning that they both use the same controls to pull of ultimate and supers but other then that not so much. Please know what your talking about before you get checked... Too late though

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 uninspiredcup  Online

@Lucianu said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@Gargus said:

All fighting games actually do have a plot, but it's in the backstory, in the lore, and a little of in-game plot progression here and there. Ex., if you actually pay attention to the plot of the Street Fighter Alpha series, it's pretty damn nice. Same goes for the Orochi Saga of KoF 95, 96 and 97. The reason why i'm a fan of Street Fighter in the first place is mostly because of the very interesting backstory.

I agree my friend,. I remember as a younglin, with my Street Fighter II: Turbo, going page by page in the instruction book reading the backstory of each character. This of course however doesn't mean, the actual in game story should be practically nonexistent. Warn Bro's has essentially made Mortal Kombat and Injustice like participating in a straight to DVD cgi movie.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

injustice? really?

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Tekken says hi. It's still the most profitable arcade fighting game.

EDIT: besides the existence of SF4, people still play old school capcom games and use them as standards.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

No

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 uninspiredcup  Online

Most people agree with me, this is good.

DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

They're both pretty good. I've gotten both Street Fighter x Tekken and Mortal Kombat '9' on Steam and I'm amazed as how far the old school 2d fighters have come. Heck in finally playing MK9 I kind of regret not buying it earlier to give the developer a little more cash for future projects. Will most likely be buying the next Mortal Kombat when it comes out.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Nope...Injustice is pretty good tho, but still prefer KoF/StreetFighter over it..the older ones are still so good, which should tell you how good they are.. Western fighting games seems abit stiff still..Japan fighting game is more flowy if that makes any sense. :P

nonsoville2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By nonsoville2
Member since 2006 • 4124 Posts

Street fighter 4 and Marvel vs Capcom are both the best selling fighting games of last gen, both are Japanese and still heavily played at fighting tournaments.. The western fighting games are weak in replay value. Just 2 weeks ago there was a street fighter 4 (a 2008 old game) tournament inSweden with a 20,000 dollar price. Im an avid fighter gamer and know what the scene in general is into unlike you shooter fags that run your mouth talking rubbish you don't know.

Street Fighter4> Marvel vs capcom> Tekken> SFxT> Mortal Kombat> KI> Injustice...

/shit thread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 06

@nonsoville2: you have that broken mess mvc3 that high on your list... Are you sure you play fighters... I spent a good amount of time with mvc3 learning wolverine, the capt, spider man and others but after playing it for a good amount of time, the same characters were used with the same broken way to use them, worst fighter I ever played. So just by you having that up there shows you just blindly like whatever capcom dumps out.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

You have got to be kidding. At best the Nether Realm games are nothing more than a novelty, Whether you like it or not, no one has a problem with the gameplay of KI, it's not why it's review scores were low.

Compared to SF4 and other Japanese Fighters, Nether Realm games are bottom of the barrel. They aren't bad for a while but they're completely forgettable and i've never really gone back to any MK style game regularly throughout it's history except for MK2 on the SNES.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

LOOOOOL You are way out of your element here buddy. You have no idea what you're talking about. Injustice having a deeper fighting system than Japanese fighters? You are making me laugh so hard. That's ludicrous!

Street Fighter IV alone has more depth and skill required than 15 Injustices put together (then you've got KOF, Tekken, and virtua fighter).... I still have a lot of fun with Injustice, but no, your statment is so far off the mark it's crazy.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 uninspiredcup  Online

Holding X and Y at the same time is not hardcore my friend. As a professional gamer my word should be more than enough on this matter.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

I agree, the West are making better fighting games than Japan. I thought this would be a no brainer but fanboys exist for everything. Here you have the West improving on their game release after release while Japan just make better cartoon art of their characters while the base gameplay and animations stay the same. The ones who disagree with TC seem to cling on to that nostalgia. A formula they do not want changed if it's for better or worse.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Just like there are more wannabe cowboys than cowboys or wannabe FPS pro's (COD) than FPS pro's there are more wannabe fighting game fans (Killer Instinct) than actual fighting game fans.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pikminmaniac

@uninspiredcup said:

Holding X and Y at the same time is not hardcore my friend. As a professional gamer my word should be more than enough on this matter.

If you were a "professional gamer" you wouldn't have made such an off the mark thread... Or are you just here to ruffle some feathers.

again, injustice is a fun and solid game, but it in no way competes with the depth and precision gameplay of Super Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters, Tekken, Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Virtua Fighter, etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 06

@nonsoville2: and no street fighter 4 and mvc3 are not the highest selling fighters of last gen, please go do some research, MK alone probably outsold both of them. NR fighters sell more then Japanese fighters.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Pikminmaniac said:

@uninspiredcup said:

If you were a "professional gamer" you wouldn't have made such an off the mark thread... Or are you just here to ruffle some feathers.

Son, I've been playing for over two decades and was in the official mplayer uk Quake III clan. You have a donkey kong avatar, this implies you are casual.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@06 said:

@nonsoville2: and no street fighter 4 and mvc3 are not the highest selling fighters of last gen, please go do some research, MK alone probably outsold both of them. NR fighters sell more then Japanese fighters.

Uh... what? MK 2011 at the very least sold around 3 million units. Street Fighter IV sold slightly more then that at around 3.3 million units (add-on Super Street Fighter IV sold around 3 millions when you add both the console and 3DS versions prior to the Arcade Edition). The fighter to outsell both of those (if you consider this next game a fighter that is) is... Super Smash Bros. Brawl at 10 million units.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Lol no

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pikminmaniac

@uninspiredcup said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Son, I've been playing for over two decades and was in the official mplayer uk Quake III clan. You have a donkey kong avatar, this implies you are casual.

Son, I've been an avid fan of the fighting game community for years and have placed in many local fighting tournaments (playing Street Fighter and Injustice these days). Telling me you know how to play Quake doesn't give you any authority in the fighting genre.

Injustice is a great game, but saying it has more depth than practically any of the big fighting games from Japan just shows a lack of knowledge of the genre.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Being a Quake expert makes you superior at any genre.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

Nope nothing comes close to street fighter, from western devs

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Lol no

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#46  Edited By Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Of course not,don´t be crazy.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Being a Quake expert makes you superior at any genre.

And with that we can conclude that this is nothing more then just a troll thread.

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48  Edited By a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

With the exception of Killer Instinct, I feel as though western developers don't put enough focus on character design and animations when developing fighting games. Games like Mortal Kombat and Injustice have drab graphics engines. With the acquisition of the DC Universe lineup, I wish they would have implemented a more colorful graphics engine that emulate their comic book illustrations. Animations, while not bad, still feel mechanical and lack the flashy and fluid movement of Japanese-developed fighting games.

I'm well aware that the fighting engine and overall gameplay are what matters more, but it's possible to combine great gameplay as well as fluid animations and better aesthetics. Games like this already exist in games such as: Marvel vs Capcom, Street Fighter, Soul Caliber, Super Smash Bros. etc...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Dead or Alive 5.

Jiggle Jiggle ! :p

campzor

Forum Posts