Has Tearaway paved the way for Vita Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 8 months, 10 days ago

Poll: Has Tearaway paved the way for Vita Games? (18 votes)

Yes, it's showed how all the components of the Vita can be used and can be a reference for future games. 67%
No...not knowing how to implement these components was never the problem 33%

It just seems like now that this game has shown what all the Vita gameplay components can be used for, maybe we'll start to see other games like it. It just might be what jumpstarts the Vita.

"Feels like the most natural use of the Vita's input options to date"

I'm not asking if you like the vita or not.

I'm not asking for your fanboy hate.

In fact if you mention the DS in this thread you're doing it wrong.

Usually don't care about handhelds but...

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (55658 posts) -

I hope so, actually.

It seems like the kind of game that shows how an unforgettable experience unique to the Vita can be made, and on a small budget at that.

It's a nice game, and the Vita's a nice handheld. I would say that I hope this is the start of a new wave of similarly inspired Vita games, but Tearaway bombed, so I don't think it will be, unfortunately.

#2 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8696 posts) -

It's not my type of game, but the demo still managed to impress me with how creative it was in using the Vita's touch capabilities, so I hope other devs follow suit.

#3 Posted by foxhound_fox (87405 posts) -

The Vita is completely irrelevant at this point.

#4 Posted by Ghost120x (3708 posts) -

Yes it did pave the way for properly using the vita controls, though it would have been the perfect system selling game if it had enough content. People are just going to wait for it to hit the bargain bin, which is a shame.

#5 Edited by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

No I dint think so.

#6 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8133 posts) -

@Ghost120x: it is already on sale for 17.99 on psn.

#7 Edited by Telekill (4351 posts) -

I hope for more great games.

#8 Posted by Ghost120x (3708 posts) -
#9 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2320 posts) -

Nah

The only game worth owning a vita for is still Persona 4 Golden.

#10 Edited by RogueStatus28 (513 posts) -

Tear-A-What? Oh, that game that got Torn-A new one.

#11 Posted by lostrib (33506 posts) -

Why would someone mention the DS? The 3DS would be much more relevant

#12 Posted by jg4xchamp (47115 posts) -

It would be nice if the Vita started getting games of its own, and not stuff I could play on platforms I already own. Tearaway looks delightful, and I've always been interested in Gravity Rush. Beyond that? pass.

#13 Posted by Basinboy (11004 posts) -

Hopefully. Tearaway is awesome and I'd love to see more games utilize the Vita's hardware more intuitively.

I'm interested to see how Murasaki Baby turns out.

#14 Posted by p3anut (5860 posts) -

@Ghost120x: it is already on sale for 17.99 on psn.

Cows don't like kiddie games that's why nobody bought it.

#15 Posted by stoods (8 posts) -

@Ghost120x: It was already sold at a lower price, as to encourage people to buy a vita. Which I bought the bundle pack for christmas (comes with 16gb card and littlebigplanet vita)

#16 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21448 posts) -

I hope so, actually.

It seems like the kind of game that shows how an unforgettable experience unique to the Vita can be made, and on a small budget at that.

It's a nice game, and the Vita's a nice handheld. I would say that I hope this is the start of a new wave of similarly inspired Vita games, but Tearaway bombed, so I don't think it will be, unfortunately.

I think it's early to say it bombed, it released a week ago right? sure sales will grow and turn profit for the developer.

#17 Posted by foxhound_fox (87405 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

No I dint think so.

Yeah, it is. The sooner everyone including Sony admits it, the sooner we can all start moving on from the disaster that was it's existence. The Vita sold 72,000 units in November. The Wii U sold 220,000.

If the Wii U is "dead" then the Vita is "and gone".

#18 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24655 posts) -

That system will never be irrelevant as long as it has Persona.

#19 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9957 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

No I dint think so.

As long as gems like Tearaway keep popping up with the combination of indie games on the go, it'll continue to be as relevant as anything else on the market.

#20 Edited by AtariKidX (6202 posts) -

Yes.....good game.

#21 Posted by blamix99 (1627 posts) -

can't wait to play FFX HD on my vita

#22 Posted by trollhunter2 (1214 posts) -

Yes definitely amazing game, also the second best non Nintendo 3d platformer of all time

(right behind banjo kazooie)

A masterpiece

#23 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Looks like the kinda game that Pikmin dude and Charizad would hail as game of the generation lol. Tried the demo, it was nice but it did not compell me to buy it

#24 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Not only has it paved the way for Vita games...but it's the new standard for all handheld titles to aspire too. 3DS better step it's game up if it wants to compete.

#25 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Never played Tearaway, so I don't know. I want a Vita, but it doesn't have a good enough library yet. I hope things change and I end up getting one, but for now 3DS XL only for me in the handheld department.

#26 Edited by madskills6117 (4021 posts) -

I hope so. It's a very enjoyable game.

#27 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38211 posts) -

Sony need to get behind the games more for it to happen. Look at Tearaway, fantastic game and incredibly creative and charming but Sony did nothing to boost it or advertise it.

They do need more games that use the Vita more and like Champ said, can't be played elsewhere. A lot of the games I like playing on my Vita can just be played on my PS3.

#28 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38211 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

@foxhound_fox said:

No I dint think so.

Yeah, it is. The sooner everyone including Sony admits it, the sooner we can all start moving on from the disaster that was it's existence. The Vita sold 72,000 units in November. The Wii U sold 220,000.

If the Wii U is "dead" then the Vita is "and gone".

I don't think it's irrelevant, it's just not doing very well.

it's an incredible little device that's had some really shitty luck with games. The best use for it I can find is emulating older PS games but it has stuff like Tearaway and P4G. It needs to get a big push from Sony.

The whole remote play thing if improved and captialised on too might help it. It's certainly no 3DS though

#29 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

I just started playing, but based on what I know, I hope not actually. It seems kind of superficial the way the touch screen is used. I think LBP does a better job at showing what the Vita can do. Especially because it also had an awesome multiplayer component.

#30 Posted by treedoor (7480 posts) -

After the runaway success of Tearaway, and the insane sales boost it gave the Vita, I'm sure we'll begin seeing tons more games come out for the system.

#31 Edited by bbkkristian (14928 posts) -

Probably not in North America. Asides from Indie developers, the only thing Vita has and needs more of is Publishers. There are still many games that don't make it over for it, and I don't see Tearaway as a system seller for those in the west.

#32 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3001 posts) -

Lol no. No one bought Tearaway sadly. Sony left it out to die. Probably never gonna see a sequel.

#33 Posted by mems_1224 (46304 posts) -

Pretty much, Its a shame Sony has no clue what to do with that thing. I would LOVE to see what nintendo could do with a piece of hardware like that.

#34 Posted by FlamesOfGrey (7479 posts) -

I haven't played Tearaway yet but I'm not a big fan of the touch controls. System itself is fine for me. It's sales suck but it's getting more and more 3rd Party support in japan with new announcements on a week to bi weekly basis. Since I follow Japan's release schedule of games and am starting to play most of my games in Japanese I'm good for 2014 already. Vita despite selling less then the Wii U currently has more 3rd Party support then it does and probably will ever have in Japan.

#35 Posted by lundy86_4 (42876 posts) -

I dunno. I still need to try it.