Has storytelling gone down for Japanese games in general?

• 66 results
Edited 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Has storytelling gone down for Japanese games in general? (29 votes)

Yes, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, DQV, etc. had better storytelling 31%
No, FFXIII, Xenoblade, MGSIV, Ghost Trick, etc. improved storytelling 14%
Neither, it hasn't changed much 55%

When it comes to modern Japanese games, do you think they have improved storytelling in their games now with advanced technology just like Telltale Games' The Walking Dead?

#51 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26999 posts) -

its the same as usal.

#52 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24319 posts) -

i don't think anything has changed.

one good story for 100 games that come out is about the average for both j-dev and w-dev.

#53 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43333 posts) -

Wait, were they ever even good to begin with?

#54 Edited by Bigboi500 (31642 posts) -

- Good storytelling.

- Video games.

Pick one. Japanese games are no better or worse than Western games in that department. If you think they are then you're just biased and wrong.

#55 Edited by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

Story telling in games just sucks in general, western or eastern. There is such a detach from the 2 since the gameplay often devalues the story. Just have an interesting plot, enough that I wanna see what happens next even if it straight makes no sense. In an ideal world, just like, save the budget for something that actually matters.

#56 Posted by PsychoLemons (2509 posts) -

Pretty much.

#57 Posted by princeofshapeir (15571 posts) -

Chrono Trigger has one of the best stories of any RPG, I don't know what you people are on about

#58 Edited by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

They were never good at telling stories to begin with, bar select few. And now most of them suck at everything.

Inb4 angry weeabos.

Pretty much. The thing is, they didn't seem nearly as idiotic when I was younger. Even then, I remember being embarrassed to be seen by my parents playing a JRPG. I knew they were cringe-worthy back then.

#59 Posted by lordlors (5785 posts) -

@Riverwolf007 said:

i don't think anything has changed.

one good story for 100 games that come out is about the average for both j-dev and w-dev.

I don't know about that. The adventure genre in the West is in a resurgence especially with the indie scene like To The Moon.

#62 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (6439 posts) -

Japanese storytelling hasn't changed at all.

#63 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19066 posts) -

I like how stories are in Japanese Fighting Games.... No matter whats going on... No matter what the context... A fight is inevatable. It becomes rather ridiculous with Guille because he's a soldier... Why doesn't he just shoot people ?

#64 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (9491 posts) -

Everything is down for Japanese gaming.

#65 Edited by lordlors (5785 posts) -

@TheGuardian03 said:

Play Yakuza games and Ace Attorney, those games have fantastic stories and they're japanese.

I could list many japanese games with good stories. Of course JRPG's aren't part of my list.

The Japanese don't have anything new though that can match The Walking Dead, To The Moon, etc. on an ethical and emotional level. I have played 999 and VLR but in these games the choices don't make you think of your moral values but instead are there to move the story forward since you'll have to backtrack and choose the other one to finish the story. And I was not able to empathize with the characters unlike from The Walking Dead. They were great games though just not enough to level with Western adventure games. People said Persona games have mature themes and deep storyline but the last entry so far was originally a PS2 game and the new entry hasn't released yet. I haven't played them actually so I can't really comment about that.

#66 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19066 posts) -

@lordlors

Hey... Thats not entirely fare... Stories are highly subjective and one can say the same negative things about The Walking Dead