Has PC always been ahead of console in all generation?

• 180 results
#1 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

So ppls, there are lot of ppls believe that consoles in 90s were better gaming. most of ppls nastolgic about it. and say console 90 gaming was peak of gaming. how amaizing it was, industry would not be without them but i beg to differ. Console gaming in 90s were great because it was pure console gaming not dumbed down PC gaming

but take a look at from begining

Early 90s

PC:

Console:

both games were release at same years. PC gaming was already 3D at the time. Playstation 1 didnot create 3d graphics

1998 arguably the best year ever.

PC:

Look at Half life 1. and than thief. Halflife 1 was ahead of its time. it was 1998 graphics king too. but in a term of gameplay level design it was very much ahead of its time. and thief was best and most revolutionary stealth game of ever

same year we see

Console:

now look at console games of 1998. they definetely were best console games of 1998 but cant hold a candle against Half life or thief. and from the look of it they feel like generation behind. and i remember on MGS1 dead body disapear after you shot someone. this thing were never happen in thief.

now lets move to 2007 which was another one of the greatest year and what we see?

Console:

Console shooter that is scripted, linear, regen health and nothing but corridor crawler

PC:

PC shooters were creative, have exploration, not scripted and push genre forward.

theres lot more example but im too lazy for more. so ppls does that evidence that console always generation behind PC?

discuss

#2 Posted by lostrib (31694 posts) -

Lol SNIPER thread

#3 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (2656 posts) -

You don't buy consoles for graphics you buy them for the exclusives.

#4 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

You don't buy consoles for graphics you buy them for the exclusives.

im not just talking about graphics. im talking about overall experience.

due to console limitation level design suffer.

#5 Edited by JangoWuzHere (15929 posts) -

Lol SNIPER thread

#6 Edited by AdrianWerner (27857 posts) -

Ahead in what? Graphics? No. PSX and (to lesser degree) PS2 offered quite substantial jump over PC games early in their life spans.

Games-wise? Hard to compare. PCs and consoles were very different back then. It all boils down to genre preferences.

Also..lol at calling Half-Life graphic king. One of the few complains HL1 got was that it's graphics weren't anything special. TItles like Blood 2, Unreal or Even Sin, blew it completely away.

#7 Posted by Ballroompirate (21695 posts) -

Lol Sniper thread

now I feel dirty posting in it...

#8 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3768 posts) -

@AdrianWerner: thanks for the reminder!

unreal did have better graphics than half-life.

#9 Edited by blangenakker (2066 posts) -

New consoles allow for developers to create new experiences beyond those of the previous consoles, obviously. PC could be ahead but a new console will appear allowing developers to push new boundaries because of new hardware. This also allows for PC devs to strive beyond a standard created by the new consoles. Though it seems this time it won't really happen but who knows.

#10 Edited by Vaasman (11139 posts) -

The formatting of the OP makes me want to punch a baby.

How is it you are even still able to post goddamn.

#11 Edited by Litchie (16181 posts) -

Not sure what you mean. Graphics and scale have always been better on PC. This is obvious. What's a better experience is completely opinion based. There are a shitload of PC games that are better than console games and vice versa. I prefer both, personally.

#12 Posted by sts106mat (18760 posts) -

when gears of war came out on 360, it was arguably the best looking game around at the time. perhaps at some point with the 3DO or Sega mega drive, things might have "looked better" but wouldn't have been doing techinically what the PC games of the time were doing (3D models etc) ..other than that, i dont think its even an argument

#14 Edited by Cloud_imperium (1824 posts) -

Pretty much .

However previous consoles used to be almost as powerful as top of the line PCs . This time they were already outdated even before the release .

So yes PC had always been ahead but consoles offered nice challenge in early days . This time , not so much . So we should look at games that used to be graphics kings back then and PC clearly have a lot more games than consoles .

As far as gameplay goes , it depends on what you want to play . For gamers like me , who loves complex games , PC is the way to go .

And I agree that , console gaming back then was 100% pure console gaming . It was completely different than what it is today . Still I think that PC pretty much ruled 90s gaming with games like Wing Commander , Half Life , System Shock etc .

#15 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8157 posts) -

Not when the first PlayStation came out and not when Xbox 360 came out.

#16 Posted by AdrianWerner (27857 posts) -

Not when the first PlayStation came out and not when Xbox 360 came out.

When 360 camed out it couldn't even run PC ports without heavy downrages. Gears of War was mindblowing, but it launched a long time after 360's debut.

Now. first Xbox..different story. Halo was prettier than any PC FPS. The lead didn't last long, as 2002 titles quickly caught up, but in 2001 even the best PC had (AvP2, Tribes 2 and RTCW) couldn;t compare to Halo's graphics.

#17 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

when gears of war came out on 360, it was arguably the best looking game around at the time. perhaps at some point with the 3DO or Sega mega drive, things might have "looked better" but wouldn't have been doing techinically what the PC games of the time were doing (3D models etc) ..other than that, i dont think its even an argument

it was not look better than doom 3 2004 PC. doom 3 was graphics king until Crysis 1

#19 Posted by sts106mat (18760 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

it was not look better than doom 3 2004 PC. doom 3 was graphics king until Crysis 1

hahaha

#20 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@sts106mat said:

LOL. yeah ok buddy. gears of war shit on doom 3 and the pgr games shit on any racing game on the pc for years. consoles always hold the graphical title for 1 to 3 years from launch. They will hold it this gen until the division comes out(if it delivers)

2006 gears

2004 Doom 3

Everything was highly detailed. and dat lighting.

no. 2004 game was looking better than gears in everyway so gears was not best looking game

beside gears was linear cover shooter with regen health while doom 3 was proper PC game with exploration and finding ways.

#21 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3768 posts) -
@m3dude1 said:

god pc fanboys are so much worse than console fanboys. thread is retarded and false

i don't know man. i think there are bad and exemplary folk on both sides.

i'm a pc gamer, but there used to be these two impartial, albeit pro-console gamers that posted here: Giovela, and m3 boarder. exemplary representatives of their fanboy base.

i wish i was one third the poster he was.

#23 Edited by m3dude1 (826 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

god pc fanboys are so much worse than console fanboys. thread is retarded and false

i'm a pc gamer, but there used to be these two impartial, albeit pro-console gamers that posted here: Giovela, and m3 boarder. exemplary representatives of their fanboy base.

i dunno i never rly saw console fanboys posting shit like "gears of war and uncharted have better graphics than crysis" which would be the equivalent of the type of shit i see here every day from pc fanboys.

#24 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@sts106mat said:

LOL. yeah ok buddy. gears of war shit on doom 3 and the pgr games shit on any racing game on the pc for years. consoles always hold the graphical title for 1 to 3 years from launch. They will hold it this gen until the division comes out(if it delivers)

2006 gears

2004 Doom 3

Everything was highly detailed. and dat lighting.

no. 2004 game was looking better than gears in everyway so gears was not best looking game

beside gears was linear cover shooter with regen health while doom 3 was proper PC game with exploration and finding ways.

doom 3 did not have exploration,

I can boot up my copy and tell you other wise.

gears was capable of hard lighting,

but ambient lighting was their goal,

don't believe me? go back and play the night level were you run from the bats and shit,

that is hard lighting being employed in gears,

but the destructible environment and ambient lighting is missing from doom 3.

p.s can you English?

your thread is stupid brah, and your comparisons are just as wack.

#25 Edited by sts106mat (18760 posts) -

Look at those screenshots properly sniper, you are blind

Halo 3 is not scripted, the AI enemies were impressive for their time behaving in a dynamic manner depending on what you did.

Just stop the crap

/thread

#26 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -
@m3dude1 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@m3dude1 said:

i dunno i never rly saw console fanboys posting shit like "gears of war and uncharted have better graphics than crysis" which would be the equivalent of the type of shit i see here every day from pc fanboys.

even if gears and uncharted would have better grapic they wont be even half as good as first crysis because it was creative game.

uncharted is cinematic QTE fest and gears is cover to cover mediocre shooter.

#27 Posted by Suppaman100 (3596 posts) -

Lol wow most've sucked if you only had a PC then. Shooter,shooter,shooter, rts, rpg...that's it.

Thanks for confirming the games on console were better than PC exclusives.

#28 Edited by m3dude1 (826 posts) -
@m3dude1 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@m3dude1 said:

even if gears and uncharted would have better grapic they wont be even half as good as first crysis because it was creative game.

uncharted is cinematic QTE fest and gears is cover to cover mediocre shooter.

do you even understand what i was saying?

#29 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

Lol wow most've sucked if you only had a PC then. Shooter,shooter,shooter, rts, rpg...that's it.

no @SNIPER4321 is only confirming he is an idiot

#30 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

console. adventure, Girly JRPG barbie games.

also shooters on console are all same

shooters on PC have too much variety that 2 games would feel different genre

like Deus Ex and Half life

#31 Posted by sts106mat (18760 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

aahh, the good old Sniper4321 "copy & Paste reply #1"

up next, copy and paste reply #2 "dark and gritty atmosphere"

#32 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

deus ex and half life are on consoles.

so I guess they are the same as all the other console shooters right?

man you really need to stop fooling around with this 7th grade trolling,

there is no way you can be that stupid for real brah.

#33 Posted by NVIDIAking (34 posts) -

So SNIPER

#34 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

no. different games

console port were broken as a result console gamers end up hating them and prefering game that fit on console

deus ex ps2 cut some features too in order to work on console.

#35 Posted by gamespot4life (1215 posts) -

The pic of FF7 looks like the pc version, the ps1 version was very rough around the edges...

#36 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4463 posts) -

Still I think that PC pretty much ruled 90s gaming with games like Wing Commander , Half Life , System Shock etc .

Man, gaming was just kick ass all around in the 90s. Bad ass games everywhere, on consoles, on PC, in the arcade. And each platform differentiated itself so well.

I couldn't even say PC was better than consoles then or vice versa, if you ignored either option you were missing out on some great stuff.

#37 Posted by NVIDIAking (34 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

Still I think that PC pretty much ruled 90s gaming with games like Wing Commander , Half Life , System Shock etc .

Man, gaming was just kick ass all around in the 90s. Bad ass games everywhere, on consoles, on PC, in the arcade. And each platform differentiated itself so well.

I couldn't even say PC was better than consoles then or vice versa, if you ignored either option you were missing out on some great stuff.

Wut is this logic, how dare someone enjoy PC and Console gaming.

#38 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12832 posts) -

Nah.

#39 Edited by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@killatwill15 said:

no. different games

console port were broken as a result console gamers end up hating them and prefering game that fit on console

deus ex ps2 cut some features too in order to work on console.

still on consoles last time I checked regardless, same with crisis.

seriously this thread has no purpose other than to validate your obvious inadequacy with pc gaming.

you have nothing to look forward to,

so you refer to the past to knock down history in order re-write it in your confused favor.

just let it go, pc's and consoles exist simultaneously,

Get over it.

#40 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

i am looking forward to plenty of games like next source engine 2 game, doom 4, next hitman, deus ex 4, new wolfenstien, and to some extent batman arkham knights. all on PC

#41 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

i am looking forward to plenty of games like next source engine 2 game, doom 4, next hitman, deus ex 4, new wolfenstien, and to some extent batman arkham knights. all on PC

and consoles,

or will that sour your enjoyment knowing they will be on ps4 or xb1?

you are truly confused brah, you can take this out of context to if you want.

seeing as how you cant hold one coherent discussion.

but I would expect that out of someone who thinks doom 3 is better than doom 1/2.

#42 Posted by Suppaman100 (3596 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

LOL I can feel the pain radiating from your posts. That's normal if you only had a PC to play games on.

Sucks for you that you missed out on the best games.

#43 Posted by Suppaman100 (3596 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

HAHHAHAHA, thanks for confirming the only games PC get are shooters and indies. Lol PC gaming really sucks.

#44 Posted by Cloud_imperium (1824 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

Good point . Both PC and consoles offered completely different stuff back then . Everyone was happy . Now we see old PC franchises getting dumbed down and console games becoming all the same . Luckily , there are still some developers that offer something completely different but still it ain't 90s .

#45 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Good point . Both PC and consoles offered completely different stuff back then . Everyone was happy . Now we see old PC franchises getting dumbed down and console games becoming all the same . Luckily , there are still some developers that offer something completely different but still it ain't 90s .

90s gaming was the best,

beefing with Asians at the arcades on marvel vs Capcom playing for quarters.

man those were the days

#46 Posted by KittenNose (357 posts) -

In terms of graphics? Who cares. The "graphics king" is rarely near the top of the "Best games" list. In terms of tech? Again however who cares. I spent way more hours playing Xcom and FF6 then Fallout. CDs were a leap forward, but I still revisit Xcom and FF6 today, and I can't remember the last time I played Fallout, even if I think it has the second best ending in all of gaming.In terms of games? Back in the day you couldn't really get away with being a pure PC gamer the way you can now. If you tried to make me pick between FF6 and Xcom I would tell you to die in a fire. I busted my tail to play both, and my childhood was richer for it.

So no. PC didn't become the monolith of diversity it is today until around 2009. Before then I couldn't imagine someone who spent more time gaming then watching TV or reading failing to own at least one console. We are games because of games. The real reason Gabe has become a patron saint of gaming is because he made it possible to have it all on one platform. Nintendo took up that crown first, and then Playstation usurped it with the PS2. Gabe wasn't canonized until Nintendo bet it all on casuals and PSbox bet it all on chasing blockbuster dynasties.

#47 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4463 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

90s gaming was the best,

man those were the days

Haha, we sound like a bunch of old men, but damn it it's the truth!

It was just a great time for the industry. Lots of growth, lots of boundaries being pushed, the jumps were always significant and so many classic developers were on top of their game.

And as for multiplayer, nothing can replace the arcade to me.

Good times.

#48 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@killatwill15 said:

HAHHAHAHA, thanks for confirming the only games PC get are shooters and indies. Lol PC gaming really sucks.

and what console get?

movie games and girly JRPG barbie games.

#49 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

90s gaming was the best,

man those were the days

Haha, we sound like a bunch of old men, but damn it it's the truth!

It was just a great time for the industry. Lots of growth, lots of boundaries being pushed, the jumps were always significant and so many classic developers were on top of their game.

And as for multiplayer, nothing can replace the arcade to me.

Good times.

90s gaming was amazing but my fav games are from 2000s so 2000s gaming was best.

even best game ever was from 2000 Deus Ex 1.

#50 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4463 posts) -

90s gaming was amazing but my fav games are from 2000s so 2000s gaming was best.

even best game ever was from 2000 Deus Ex 1.

I'll take your word for it man, I wasn't alive then.