Has party chat ruined multiplayer gaming?

• 94 results
Edited 20 days, 5 hours ago

Poll: Has party chat ruined multiplayer gaming? (30 votes)

Yes (also pc sucks) 40%
party chat hasnt ruined anything (but dont believe me because i am stupid anyway) 60%

back in the day you would enter a halo lobby and hear people talking shit from the get go, your team mates would actually talk to u and not be muted zombies like they are now. gears of war 1 was the shit early into x360 life as well as halo 3. i would actually leave a gears 1 lobby if no one was talking, i found it very hard to play multiplayer games without talking to someone.

then around 2010 i feel most people and their friends had bought x360 so they would stay in party chat. more often than not it was me by myself along with a party of 3 taking on a team. this fukin SUCKS. multiplayer is supposed to be a social experience

most of my 80+ friends i have made on xbl are from the gears 1/halo 3 days, now i know what u noobs are going to say 'bu-bu- why dont u play with your real life friends!!!' well smart ass my real life friends are casual gamers who only pay fifa and u cant make new friends if everyone else and their grandma is on party chat all the damn time

now on to the pc sucks part, mod abuse is the name of the game. say anything mods dont like on server? muted, banned, booted. no freedom of speech what so ever.

#rant over

#51 Edited by scottpsfan14 (3736 posts) -

Before party chat, I mostly remember hearing garbled rap being pumped through other players headsets while waiting in lobbies, and lots of adults saying inappropriate things to kids...good times.

Hahaha yep. Those were the days.

#52 Edited by madsnakehhh (14142 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@madsnakehhh said:

People ruinded multiplayer gaming, nowadays i only play DOTA2 with real life friends, aside from that, i tend to stay away from any other online game, aside fighters of course.

probably good, I've heard that DOTA2 has one of the worst communities

Yes, is pretty terrible, i never want to play without at least one of my friends on my team, every single game there is someone who calls you at the very least n00b, sometimes they just get mad and leave the game, ruining things for your entire team, seriously, that community is horrible.

#53 Posted by lostrib (34311 posts) -

Wow I just actually read the poll choices. This should be locked for such shitty troll bait

#54 Posted by SolidTy (42422 posts) -

Somewhat yes. It has it's obvious perks, but there is a downside to party chat.

#55 Edited by Alucard_Prime (2729 posts) -

Horrible Poll choices aside,

no I don't think it has ruined it, but I do understand where you are coming from. I also clearly remember the days Playing Gears 1 when people on opposing teams would trash talk in the lobbies, and there was a lot more open dialogue going on. 99% of my friend's list has come from people I met online. When I play multiplayer games, especially shooters, I much prefer having teamates that talk and co-ordinate stuff, for me it makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

Since the Party system was introduced, I agree that lobbie are more quiet, but I still meets tons of random people online who are not in parties. In the end, the party system gives users more choices, and sometimes it just goes a lot better when you party up with people rather than chatting out in the open and inconveniencing people who have to hear your team talk, in other words it creates a lot of order in lobbies in that sense. But sometimes, I do miss the old days when party system was not available yet. I think it was in COD Black OPs, you had a playlist called Mercenaries where party chat was not allowed, I think they should do that in games when possible.

#56 Posted by Telekill (4393 posts) -

Your poll sucks dog shit op.

That said, it's the gamers themselves that have ruined online gaming. I know it was the Halo 2 online community that ruined me on Xbox initially. Gamers are very hateful people and hide behind their curtain of anonymity while yelling obscenities at each other.

I don't blame anyone for only wanting to play with those they actually know that won't be assholes.

#57 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3736 posts) -
@Telekill said:

Your poll sucks dog shit op.

That said, it's the gamers themselves that have ruined online gaming. I know it was the Halo 2 online community that ruined me on Xbox initially. Gamers are very hateful people and hide behind their curtain of anonymity while yelling obscenities at each other.

I don't blame anyone for only wanting to play with those they actually know that won't be assholes.

Gamers are definatly the shittest people. Well.. most of them. They are soo angry lol. They bully little kids if their voice sounds sqeaky and shit. And think their craic is actually amusing. But we live in an entitled world. And it does that to people I'm afraid.

#58 Edited by lamprey263 (23104 posts) -

no, I can chat with my friends and not have to listen to annoying kids or just obnoxious racist homophoic trolling assholes, I can enjoy the company of just my friends and anybody else I invite in, we can coordinate among each other better, the audio doesn't skip out during loadings or if we end up on different teams and we can stay in connection between games, it's a benefit to gaming

#59 Edited by littlestreakier (2902 posts) -

XBL on the original Xbox was great because we were the test rats. For console gaming the idea of playing online was not introduced well until then. So mainly adults and older teens were playing online because we had expendable income. Hence the community as a whole IMO was better. Little kids didn't see the value in it.

Party chat for last gen and current gen has saved online gaming for me because there are just too many little kids online talking shit, and it's annoying. The very first thing I do now, is start a party with friends and ONLY talk to them.

#60 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3838 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Wow I just actually read the poll choices. This should be locked for such shitty troll bait

still havnt found nothing huh haha

#61 Posted by lostrib (34311 posts) -

@lostrib said:

wut?

#62 Edited by PsychoLemons (2033 posts) -

Yes and no. It all varies on the fanbase of the game itself.

#63 Edited by inb4uall (5342 posts) -

I don't take anyone seriously who can't spell out the word "you" or "what".

#64 Posted by trugs26 (5292 posts) -

Wow, times are getting on. It used to be "has online ruined multiplayer?", comparing to local multiplayer. Now we're moving into online vs online.

#65 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6137 posts) -

Valid point TC. I wouldn't say it ruined it but there should be a change made. I like just communicating with my squad on BF4. But what about the other 60 players???? All coordination of a large scale attack lost.

It would be cool if there was a instant switch or button to press that allowed seemless party to team chat and back.

#66 Posted by intotheminx (597 posts) -

Absolutely not. I probably wouldn't even play multiplayer games if I didn't have the option to use Teamspeak or something. If I can avoid hearing kids that scream and curse just to show off, or the guy who doesn't mute his mic while blasting music then of course I will lol. My friends and I get in TS and call it a day. If there is a random person on our team we make a effort to use the game chat to keep him informed.

#67 Posted by lostrib (34311 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

I don't take anyone seriously who can't spell out the word "you" or "what".

u wot m8?

#68 Posted by MBirdy88 (7656 posts) -

"Multiplayer is suppose to be a social experience" ... yet you play BC2 .... a game with less than 2k people playing it. LOL

#69 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3838 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

"Multiplayer is suppose to be a social experience" ... yet you play BC2 .... a game with less than 2k people playing it. LOL

last i checked its a 32 player game did u know this? have u even played the game? of course not u probably watched a youtube vid and became an expert. and what i meant by the social experience is people interacting with each other which happens on bc2 because only the hardcore players are still playing the game

#70 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24869 posts) -

what a stupid poll.

Also why would you want to talk to some total strangers when all you want to do is play with your friends?

Party chat has it's perks and so does regular Online chat.

#71 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3838 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib said:

wut?

u know wat, example of someone banned from xbl/psn because of trashtalking during multiplayer. bu-bu-bu code of conduct!!!!!

just admit xbl/psn have never banned anyone because of this and we can move on, unless u have evidence suggesting otherwise of course

#72 Posted by MBirdy88 (7656 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

last i checked its a 32 player game did u know this? have u even played the game? of course not u probably watched a youtube vid and became an expert. and what i meant by the social experience is people interacting with each other which happens on bc2 because only the hardcore players are still playing the game

http://steamcommunity.com/id/MBirdy88/games/?tab=all

type bad company into the search.

sorry sugur tits... I love proving you people wrong every time. 14 hours.... bored me after that. spent hundreds of hours on BF2 and BF2142... better games all round. lol ... if it wasnt for EA axing all the servers I bet BF2 would still have more players than bad company 2.

#73 Posted by blangenakker (2218 posts) -

I just use Skype in the background and talk to my friends that way.

#74 Edited by lawlessx (46530 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib said:

"now on to the pc sucks part, mod abuse is the name of the game. say anything mods dont like on server? muted, banned, booted. no freedom of speech what so ever."

why would you have freedom of speech in that situation anyways?

well as a primary console gamer i am not used to being booted out of a game just because of something i said. that is so damn stupid, i should be allowed to say whatever the hell i want

you do realize you can't even do that on consoles right?

And no, you shouldn't be allowed to say whatever you want

lol wtf, freedom of speech is essential, only master pleb race members who are used to dictatorships are against it. not being able to boot someone from a game is a plus for console gaming and just proves how superior consoles are

You should read the terms of service of XBL..or any service you sign up for before talking about your rights. They have every right to press action against you if they feel what you say while using their service affects the image they're trying to present.

#75 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (644 posts) -

Yes.

Wait, no.

Shit...I'm sorry what was the question....I'm busy talking to my friends in party chat.

#76 Posted by lawlessx (46530 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

sorry sugur tits... I love proving you people wrong every time. 14 hours.... bored me after that. spent hundreds of hours on BF2 and BF2142... better games all round. lol ... if it wasnt for EA axing all the servers I bet BF2 would still have more players than bad company 2.

and? so what if it does have more players?

#77 Edited by KungfuKitten (20844 posts) -

I'm all for people being allowed to say what they want. And for admins who can kick people out for being complete jerks. Corporations shouldn't have any authority over what we say. They shouldn't have more power than the government. And when the day comes that our homes are owned by corporations, I don't want corporations to be allowed to tell us what we are allowed to discuss inside our homes.

#78 Posted by handssss (1821 posts) -

It's a double-edged sword. On one hand, before party chat, we got to talk to and meet a lot of new people. Trolling was more fun as well.

Of course, sometimes we just wanted to talk to each other without having to either mute everyone else or have them start yelling at us to shut up and be quiet or whatever. Later CODs last gen seemed to have figured out the solution. Force game chat for certain competitive games modes. Wasn't perfect, but it was better than nothing.

#79 Posted by Bigboi500 (29303 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

and? so what if it does have more players?

This. As long as the game one plays has enough players to fill the spots, who cares if 500, 000 people are playing it or 500? I'd rather play with several hundred dedicated players than thousands of newbs who rage quit or don't know what the hell they're doing.

#80 Posted by hoyalawya (342 posts) -

No, too many squeakers in online multiplayer games. I prefer not to hear people I do not know (or are not vouched for by my friends).

#81 Posted by jsmoke03 (12743 posts) -

i dont see this as a problem....mediocre games are killing mp

not everyone wants to talk crap, you have to consider not everyone in the lobby is an adult and not everyone likes hearing racist/homophobic/ insulting things.

#82 Edited by bforrester420 (1339 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib said:

"now on to the pc sucks part, mod abuse is the name of the game. say anything mods dont like on server? muted, banned, booted. no freedom of speech what so ever."

why would you have freedom of speech in that situation anyways?

well as a primary console gamer i am not used to being booted out of a game just because of something i said. that is so damn stupid, i should be allowed to say whatever the hell i want

Freedom of speech only exists in the public forum, and even that is limited (libel, slander, public safety...yelling "fire" in a crowded theater). Freedom of speech does not exist in the private world. Want to test that out? Stand up from your desk at work and yell a racial slur at the top of your lungs and see how long you keep your job.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

They key takeaway is "Congress shall make no law...". The first amendment only protects you from being imprisoned, basically, for speech.

#83 Posted by speedfog (3037 posts) -

Teamspeak?

And no it didn't.

#84 Posted by Dannystaples14 (945 posts) -

It used to be fun listening to random people online. Now everyone and I do mean EVERY SINGLE DAMN PERSON, is in party chat. There are no spontaneous arguments or funny things happening any more. It is as silent as a graveyard and just as boring.

#85 Posted by lostrib (34311 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib said:

wut?

u know wat, example of someone banned from xbl/psn because of trashtalking during multiplayer. bu-bu-bu code of conduct!!!!!

just admit xbl/psn have never banned anyone because of this and we can move on, unless u have evidence suggesting otherwise of course

You can find evidence of people being given bans or voice bans for abuse of the communications system on both XBL and PSN

"This account was issued a temporary communications suspension for engaging in inappropriate voice or messaging in violation of the Code of Conduct" (http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_360_support/f/41/t/1413654.aspx)

"Well, I contacted Sony and was told a moderator was playing and heard me use some bad words. Not used in a deragotory way against someone, just bad language in general. SO I am guessing because i say words like s**t, da**it, and f**k, I am banned." (http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/f-body-lounge-24/banned-psn-822803/)

#86 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3838 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

wow im impressed u actually played a game before talking shit but funny how u prefer bf2 lol the game infested with campers yet got bored of bc2 a game where campers get raped because of the destruction. not to mention bc2 is a much faster paced game than bf2 which is a very important thing to u apparently

#87 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3838 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib said:

wut?

You can find evidence of people being given bans or voice bans for abuse of the communications system on both XBL and PSN

"This account was issued a temporary communications suspension for engaging in inappropriate voice or messaging in violation of the Code of Conduct" (http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_360_support/f/41/t/1413654.aspx)

"Well, I contacted Sony and was told a moderator was playing and heard me use some bad words. Not used in a deragotory way against someone, just bad language in general. SO I am guessing because i say words like s**t, da**it, and f**k, I am banned." (http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/f-body-lounge-24/banned-psn-822803/)

must have took some digging to find this, ok well i guess u have finally found something. but again these are very uncommon on xbl/psn whereas on pc it happens every fukin game. ive had my xbl account for decade and never been banned nor have any of my friends

#88 Posted by lostrib (34311 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

must have took some digging to find this, ok well i guess u have finally found something. but again these are very uncommon on xbl/psn whereas on pc it happens every fukin game. ive had my xbl account for decade and never been banned nor have any of my friends

I could say the same about my time on PC. Actually I found the links rather quickly

#89 Posted by CleanPlayer (9787 posts) -

I think multiplayer chat is useless in a lot of games. The only time I turn off party chat and try game planning is Last of Us's multiplayer.

#90 Posted by lostrib (34311 posts) -

I think multiplayer chat is useless in a lot of games. The only time I turn off party chat and try game planning is Last of Us's multiplayer.

I think I only regularly talk to randoms, or hear others talk, when I play L4D2 or CSGO.

#91 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3838 posts) -

@lostrib: but have u been trash talking on pc for the last decade? never been muted? some servers i admit are great and dont mind me saying anything but these are very uncommon. the thing is i dont even say anything overly offence just the typical 'bring it bitch' and boom muted

i tried tlou multiplayer out didnt like it, gears of war for me is still the pinnacle of tps multiplayer

#92 Edited by lostrib (34311 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib: but have u been trash talking on pc for the last decade? never been muted? some servers i admit are great and dont mind me saying anything but these are very uncommon. the thing is i dont even say anything overly offence just the typical 'bring it bitch' and boom muted

I would not know if i've been muted. And why would I trash talk? I guess I have in L4D2

#93 Edited by RedentSC (604 posts) -

I never really had party chat until it was huge. before that i was on PC and had Vent or TS. There was no in-game chat back the day of the original COD or EVE. SO we always knew who we were talking to. Party chat is just a natural extension (or console copy, if you prefer to call it that) of the original PC software counterparts

These days most game chat is filled with 14 year olds talking utter shite... you can't ignore them as you are forced to listen to them until you hit mute... so no... party chat didn't kill anything... there was nothing to kill in the first place mate.

#94 Posted by Heil68 (43435 posts) -

I enjoy chatting with friends.