Has Nintendo outsmarted the competition by not competing??

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by outworld222 (2429 posts) -

You know about Nintendo CEO's famous phrase about not competing directly against Sony and Microsoft.

Well I just feel that while Sony and Microsoft do make more bang for the buck, Nintendo always has a way of coming into the positive side of things cash wise in the end. Sure, it's a meager way to make a living, but at the end they don't have wild fluctuations like Sony and Microsoft.

Do I have the right to feel this way? Or am I wrong or missing some info I overlooked??

#2 Edited by millerlight89 (18569 posts) -

Ninty hasn't been smart for a few years.

#3 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

Currently as things sit, Nintendo and outsmart are two words that don't mix together.

#4 Edited by DocSanchez (1651 posts) -

If you consider outsmarting people fading into obscurity then yes.

#5 Posted by Joedgabe (5127 posts) -

Nintendo is running away from the competition more like.

#6 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13704 posts) -

7th Gen ? YES !!!

8th Gen ? Uhm... Well its not looking good so far. They need more games.... Alot more.

#7 Posted by MirkoS77 (7627 posts) -

A company that refuses or is reluctant to compete is a bore. Just as Nintendo is. I can't help but think of how amazing Nintendo could be if it wasn't lead by a pussy.

#8 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (424 posts) -

Well. Nintendo has been losing money. I have hope that they will turn things around, but saying they are not competing is the same as burying their head in the sand.

They need to get third parties on board, advertise better, and offer services that compete in the market place.

Nintendo has been losing money. That isn't a successful strategy.

#9 Edited by DefconRave (677 posts) -

Sorry to burst your bubble but you don't compete, you will get left in the dust, sooner or later.

And once you fall behind, its extremely hard to play catch up.

If Nintendo wants to become a niche player its their choice, but its a dumb move imo.

#10 Posted by Vecna (3394 posts) -

More like outsmarted themselves. Besides no one wants to compete with a sinking ship anyways.

#11 Edited by Coolyfett (5085 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

A company that refuses or is reluctant to compete is a bore. Just as Nintendo is. I can't help but think of how amazing Nintendo could be if it wasn't lead by a pussy.

You know MirkoS77 there is something to that. Even the folks who do actually play Nintendo exclusively come off as wimps as well. How can anyone co sign the things Nintendo says is just crazy, but they do it.

#12 Edited by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

I can't help but think of how amazing Nintendo could be if it wasn't lead by a pussy.

^ this

#13 Edited by navyguy21 (12956 posts) -

Nintendo outsmarted themselves.

They ignored their own market. The signs were there, they just ignored them.

They shouldve known when tons of Wiis were sold but very little software, even over time.

That meant that current owners werent playing it for long, and that the novelty had worn off.

But they chose to try to catch lightning in a bottle again..........while ignoring what made the Wii a novelty in the beginning. The low barrier to entry and a clear message of what the product was.

Wii U doesnt have either.

#14 Edited by superbuuman (2903 posts) -

@outworld222 said:

You know about Nintendo CEO's famous phrase about not competing directly against Sony and Microsoft.

Just Iwata's defeatist BS excuse. :P

#15 Posted by Coolyfett (5085 posts) -

Wii gamers?? Remember those guys?

#16 Edited by Heil68 (45224 posts) -

Yup, they wanted a DOA console that is cemented in last place this gen.

#17 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Yes, they outsmarted everyone and got the coveted position of last place mediocrity.

#18 Posted by KittenNose (530 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

7th Gen ? YES !!!

8th Gen ? Uhm... Well its not looking good so far. They need more games.... Alot more.

The seventh generation is what caused the failure of the eighth. When people were asked if they wanted more of the Wii, folks answered "Nah, I really don't use the one I have now."

#19 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

No one is buying the Wii U because it offers nothing of value compared the "competition" they decided to avoid.

#20 Edited by getyeryayasout (7602 posts) -

Nintendo claiming not to compete directly with Sony and MS is PR spin. If you aren't competing, you aren't getting your ass handed to you.

#21 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13704 posts) -

@ KittenNose

Uhm.... The Wii U is not more of the Wii, Tablet Controller remember ? I'd say the new direction was just a miss for all the soccer moms, especially at $400.

#22 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -

The only thing I could see them doing that would be considered smart is if Nintendo created a smartphone

#23 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26910 posts) -

@CleanPlayer said:

The only thing I could see them doing that would be considered smart is if Nintendo created a smartphone

That isn't smart. For their sake, that is actually STUPID.

#24 Edited by trugs26 (5585 posts) -

Generally speaking Nintendo have been more profitable in the gaming industry than the others. The Wii U is the exception, but they might be able to turn it around.

#25 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@CleanPlayer said:

That isn't smart. For their sake, that is actually STUPID.

Only if the smartphone rivaled the iPhone then I think it could be good, but knowing how Nintendo is all about cheap hardware (wii and wiiu) then yeah on second thought this is a terrible idea lol they should just stick to making games

#26 Posted by DocSanchez (1651 posts) -

@CleanPlayer: Great. A resistive touchscreen with a stylus, a cheap plasticy feel and no third party apps to prop it up.

#27 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

They've like always been profiting until this gen. I'm sure they will start to make a profit again. Gamers who skipped the Wii but got a Wii U will be able to buy the entire backlog from them as well. I for one, will be getting a lot of the games I missed. :)

#28 Edited by Jag85 (4626 posts) -

Unfortunately, I don't think Iwata is fit to lead Nintendo anymore. He was a great CEO last decade, and his "Blue Ocean" strategy was genius back then, but he's behaving as if it's still 2006. Maybe it's about time Nintendo gets a new CEO?

#29 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

Unfortunately, I don't think Iwata is fit to lead Nintendo anymore. He was a great CEO last decade, and his "Blue Ocean" strategy was genius back then, but he's behaving as if it's still 2006. Maybe it's about time Nintendo gets a new CEO?

A new CEO might turn Nintendo into a mobile shovelware publisher, like most of the japanese publishers are right now =(

#30 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

Whether they like it or not, accept it or not they are competing. There isn't a single company out there that doesn't have competition for something they make. Nintendo is not making products for an alien world.

#31 Posted by Jag85 (4626 posts) -

@crimsonman1245 said:

@Jag85 said:

A new CEO might turn Nintendo into a mobile shovelware publisher, like most of the japanese publishers are right now =(

Harsh, but true. The last Tokyo Game Show was largely dominated by mobile games, in fact. It's a shame to see the Japanese gaming industry straying so far from its arcade & console roots.

#32 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26910 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

I don't know what good that'll solve really. Investors (who Iwata's critics all but beg to get him out, ironically) would sell the company out in a heartbeat depending on who they replace him with. Say what you will about his actions as CEO, he at least gives a rats' ass about game quality (hence the numerous delays of most games), something that can't be said about the investors who just want the money, no matter how bad products are.

#33 Edited by Speak_Low (1097 posts) -

Great parody thread TC!

The topic title made me laugh as expected. Well done

#34 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13704 posts) -

@ edidili

Following that logic then Every Company is competing with one another even the ones that aren't video game related.

Theres an Implied context I think you missed.

#35 Posted by Boddicker (2811 posts) -

I love Nintendo as much as most ~30 year olds do because my first console was an NES. The SNES was the next logical choice as it was superior to the Genesis in almost every way. Then I started to become a teen and suddenly the choice was now between an N64 or PS1. For Xmas I got a PS1 and my brother got an N64. I played the first party titles on it (Mario/Zelda/Starfox) and maybe one or two third party titles. Then I let it gather dust as all my attention was firmly planted on the PS1.

Nintendo actually tried to compete with the Gamecube (wasn't it more powerful than an original XBOX?), but ultimately failed because YOU COULDN'T WATCH MOVIES ON IT. That was literally half the point of me buying a PS2 was the DVD player. Third party support slowly but surely evaporated. They enjoyed a brief resurgence with the Wii, but after the novelty wore off they collected dust.

I think it's actually interesting to watch a company crash and burn year after year. It's like watching a trainwreck in slow motion. It makes me wonder how many older people than me felt the same way about Atari. We'll never know because the internet didn't exist back then.

#36 Posted by jhcho2 (4427 posts) -

@outworld222 said:

Well I just feel that while Sony and Microsoft do make more bang for the buck, Nintendo always has a way of coming into the positive side of things cash wise in the end. Sure, it's a meager way to make a living, but at the end they don't have wild fluctuations like Sony and Microsoft.

Do I have the right to feel this way? Or am I wrong or missing some info I overlooked??

It would have made sense to say Nintendo outsmarted their competition if they weren't in the predicament that they are in right now. If this question was posed during the Wii's era, the answer could have easily been a 'yes'. But looking at the Wii U's reception right now, it's clear that Nintendo's direction with their target demographic isn't gonna be a long term solution. So Nintendo didn't actually outsmart Sony or Microsoft. They merely made a cash in for a one generation, and it's getting more obvious every day that the aforementioned target demographic isn't gonna be a reliable market to tap from.

Nintendo is a survivor. So it's not even remotely fair to say that they're gonna be bankrupt any time soon, and the probably won't. But did they 'outsmart' their competition? No they didn't. It's getting more apparent that they actually dropped the ball.

#37 Posted by Ghost120x (3917 posts) -

By not competing it seems to be a risk-reward kind of thing. You could either look like a visionary and a total innovator (Wii), or you could end up being perceived as outdated and boring (WII U)

This strategy is unreliable and unpredictable.

#38 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@outworld222 said:

Nice to see a few sheep come from under their rock once in awhile, but unless outsmarted means losings money and being completely trampled by the competition I'd say no.

In what word do you think wild fluctuations is worse than just being at the bottom of the fluctuation? They're not making money they're losing money this isn't smart or positive business wise in any way shape or form.

#39 Edited by cainetao11 (17748 posts) -

@outworld222: no wild fluctuations? Going from 20+ million GC's sold to 100+ million Wii's sold, now to the WiiU struggling to sell isn't wild fluctuations? Where did you learn business basics? Last gen "not competing" worked. This gen, not so much.

#40 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Well, Nintendo needs to make products that are different from the other two because there's no room in the console industry for three consoles that directly compete with each other.

However, Nintendo failed in too many ways to deliver their product, and there are definitely necessities about modern gaming that Nintendo chose to overlook such as online gaming.

The Wii U is the best idea in console gaming right now, but nobody knows about it, or even cares, because Nintendo failed to design the console properly (and I'm not talking about power), advertise it properly, and reach out to third parties.

#41 Edited by Coolyfett (5085 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

No one is buying the Wii U because it offers nothing of value compared the "competition" they decided to avoid.

It offers Mario games.....

#42 Posted by Justw8_N_C (85 posts) -

It was cute and they got away with it with the Wii. They then tried to do the same crap again and ended up getting bit in the ass. And then you guys want people to feel sorry for them.

#43 Posted by Coolyfett (5085 posts) -
@edidili said:

Whether they like it or not, accept it or not they are competing. There isn't a single company out there that doesn't have competition for something they make. Nintendo is not making products for an alien world.

products for an alien world?

@StrongBlackVine said:

#44 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

The value of Mario isn't what it used to be.

#45 Posted by Coolyfett (5085 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

Ok then why does Nintendo keep making them over and over again?

#46 Edited by MirkoS77 (7627 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Jag85 said:

I don't know what good that'll solve really. Investors (who Iwata's critics all but beg to get him out, ironically) would sell the company out in a heartbeat depending on who they replace him with. Say what you will about his actions as CEO, he at least gives a rats' ass about game quality (hence the numerous delays of most games), something that can't be said about the investors who just want the money, no matter how bad products are.

You don't know that. I love how Iwata's defenders hold him up as some "pure gaming messiah", and that replacing him would have Nintendo begin to do things that would somehow betray their legacy.

The truly ironic thing is, so many of Iwata's apologists say that, hey, he's just the CEO so he isn't completely to blame, doesn't make all the decisions, is dependent on the board, yet then in the very next sentence turn around and say that if he were replaced, the new CEO would all of a sudden sell out, start shoveling its wares onto mobile, and destroy Nintendo as if the CEO holds all the power. So which is it? Does the CEO hold all that power to do this, or are there more people that have a say in what Nintendo does? And if they do, why do you continually say that replacing the CEO will ruin Nintendo?

Yea, health monitoring software sure seems like the direction Nintendo should take, no selling out gaming for the sake of profits there. Nor like licensing out their amazing IPs for quick cash-grabs which will in all likelihood lead to a drop in their quality.

All hail Iwata, God's gift to gaming.

#47 Posted by outworld222 (2429 posts) -

Most of you here and player haters.....get it? Player haters?? LOL....anyone find that funny??

#48 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

What else are they going to make? When is the last time Nintendo made a new IP that was really successful(not count any crap that starts with Wii like Wii Sports/Fit etc)?

#49 Posted by MonsieurX (30471 posts) -
@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

What else are they going to make? When is the last time Nintendo made a new IP that was really successful(not count any crap that starts with Wii like Wii Sports/Fit etc)?

Not sure why you're excluding those because you don't like it

#50 Posted by Jag85 (4626 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@Coolyfett said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

Nintendo has more IP's than both Sony and Microsoft combined. They don't really need to create new IP's... All they need to do is go through their back catalogue and start reviving dormant IP's.