Has Nintendo learned their lesson?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kaszilla (1841 posts) -

The 3ds was saved by games and a price drop only. The system itself is horribly cheap and outdated hardware. All of the 3DS's games could be run on the 9 year old psp with little cut in visuals. The Wii U is a complete and utter castastrophe with nothing going for it over last gen consoles. Games sell systems but good hardware also helps. Maybe their next console wont be a joke.

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (31584 posts) -

@Kaszilla said:

The 3ds was saved by games and a price drop only. The system itself is horribly cheap and outdated hardware. All of the 3DS's games could be run on the 9 year old psp with little cut in visuals. The Wii U is a complete and utter castastrophe with nothing going for it over last gen consoles. Games sell systems but good hardware also helps. Maybe their next console wont be a joke.

A console saved by games its price?

Woah,that's impressive!

#3 Posted by Kaszilla (1841 posts) -

@MonsieurX: Then again, nintendo's handhelds always had bad hardware but that never mattered. I dont know why nintendo thought a weak last gen pos console would sell.

#4 Edited by trugs26 (5857 posts) -

Have fun criticizing the hardware while I'll have fun playing games on that hardware.

Also, your thread doesn't make sense. What lesson is to be learned? They struck gold with the DS, 3DS, Wii. They did not with the GCN, and haven't so far for the Wii U. What lesson do you expect they learned? Or is this mindless trolling on your behalf?

#5 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

In terms of 3DS they didn't really make a mistake in the hardware (though it could stand to be stronger). They overpriced it though and they aren't rolling out enough game support from their internal studios and 3rd parties. The WiiU though, that was just a complete failure on the hardware end. They messed up hard by not allowing it to have next gen engine support. I personally think that Nintendo needs to distinguish themselves from the competition in ways apart from multiplats but they also should have had the capacity to still support them on a bare minimum level which they currently can't.

#6 Posted by MonsieurX (31584 posts) -

@Kaszilla said:

@MonsieurX: Then again, nintendo's handhelds always had bad hardware but that never mattered. I dont know why nintendo thought a weak last gen pos console would sell.

Because hardware doesn't sell.

Look at the vita

#7 Edited by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

@trugs26: They really didn't strike gold with the 3DS. Its doing fine (whichh all you can really ask for) but its hardly setting the globe on fire.

#8 Posted by Netret0120 (2871 posts) -

Nintendo seem untouchable in the handheld market no matter what.

#9 Posted by COVAtheNOVA (197 posts) -

3DS sales are OK, but nothing special. Wii U sales are pathetic. Nintendo has only shipped 4 million units in nearly a year. The XBOX ONE and PS4 will catch up to Wii U sales pretty much in a night once they launch. I would say outside of handhelds, which are pretty much a dying cause with tablets getting better and better, the writing is on the wall for Nintendo. They will eventually go 3rd party.

#10 Edited by nini200 (10413 posts) -

Lets see, When Nintendo had the better spec'd hardware, they lost money (N64, GC, WiiU) when they had less spec'd hardware, they struck gold (DS, 3DS, Wii).

The lesson to be learned based on that is that the best specs in a console doesn't guarantee huge revenue.

#11 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Kaszilla hasn't learned his lesson.

#12 Posted by nini200 (10413 posts) -

@Michael0134567 said:

Kaszilla hasn't learned his lesson.

He secretly loves Nintendo. He just wont tell us that.

#13 Posted by AznbkdX (3563 posts) -
@ActicEdge said:

In terms of 3DS they didn't really make a mistake in the hardware (though it could stand to be stronger). They overpriced it though and they aren't rolling out enough game support from their internal studios and 3rd parties. The WiiU though, that was just a complete failure on the hardware end. They messed up hard by not allowing it to have next gen engine support. I personally think that Nintendo needs to distinguish themselves from the competition in ways apart from multiplats but they also should have had the capacity to still support them on a bare minimum level which they currently can't.

Pretty much. Foresight and a little bit of common sense would have really helped the WiiU.

That said, I think they are learning, or I hope they are. You always have that hope for them, or at least I do. The games I've seen lately from them have looked very nice, so I guess there's that.

They might be teetering a little too much to the nostalgia and money makers a bit though, for good reason I guess. I'm hoping for something a little bit more than established franchises as hard hitters. Hopefully they find more X kind of inspiration in them for the other types of non-Nintendo console gamers out there.

#14 Edited by AdobeArtist (23029 posts) -

@Michael0134567 said:

Kaszilla hasn't learned his lesson.

But I am all too happy to teach it. As many times as it takes ;)