Has Next Gen consoles made PC gaming completely irrelevant?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

I don't understand what the point of buying these fancy rigs when PC's are being dumbed down by the OS and all that overhead.

I mean we already know with consoles you get roughly 4 x the performance with the same specs because you can code straight to metal.

Why even bother with PC gaming when the games lead development platforms are on consoles anyway and your basically just eating console scraps?

robotapple

your ignorance is disturbing

lolque.jpg

#52 Posted by Mitazaki (1477 posts) -

PC gaming will never be irrelevant. Okay lets say you take away that PC gaming will always have better graphics than console, there will still be mods that can make a game better, and more length onto a game or even make a whole new game, Andoran: Prologue been a prime example of this. You also have the fact that you are not limited to one market place for digital distribution. And in that you also have a larger number of controller options as well.

There's more to PC gaming that just fancy graphics.

#53 Posted by bezza2011 (2726 posts) -

wait seriously you've made a topic about a console which inhabits pc parts are you havin a laugh. pc's are relevant, they push the boundaries of graphics if it wasn't for pc's we wouldn't have consoles, console developers make console games on o guess what HIGH END PC'S they have to then dumb it down for consoles, so actually the next gen consoles are going to help pc gaming in a massive way, it means that the console games are going to be let loose onto pc's as there basicly the same.

#54 Posted by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -

LOL same question every new gen.

The APU's x86 cores in the PS4 are no where near what a decent gaming oriented PC may have in terms of raw horsepower, like an i5, i7 or FX. But the APU in the PS4 has the fast GPGPU capability that those high end CPUs lack though. If the PS4's APU cores are indeed at 1.6 GHz (I'm jiving for 2.0 if it doesn't increase power consumption too much), it would sit about the same theoretical capability as a Trinity APU's two modules which run much faster, at least 3.8 GHz in the fast version (A10-5800K). The PS4 of course has a larger graphics array and higher bandwidth memory.

It would be interesting to see PC devs actually making use of PC APUs for GPGPU physics and whatnot. Kaveri with 512 GCN stream processors would be a relatively large 819 theoretical GFLOPS at 800 MHz on the GPU array, and that doesn't include the x86 provided GFLOPS (should be at 128 @ 3.2 GHz). That amount of GFLOPS for GPGPU physics + a real dedicated graphics card such as a 7950 would be an amazingly capable system.

#55 Posted by Heil68 (48431 posts) -
Another great thread OPMonsieurX
#56 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

A system ment to be hooked up to a display has out preformed a system ment to be hooked up to a display?

This is the future we live in.

#57 Posted by GeForce- (305 posts) -

:lol:

Console peasants never fail to amaze.

#58 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

I mean we already know with consoles you get roughly 4 x the performance with the same specs because you can code straight to metal.

robotapple

That's not how it works.

#59 Posted by lundy86_4 (44521 posts) -

You talk of the overhead, yet completely ignore the increase in power due to more efficient/powerful components.

Furthermore, I was not aware the PC exclusive games have consoles as the lead platform. That's interesting.

#60 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

GeForce-

How much do you spend on your PC?

I can direct you to people who spend just as much (if not more) on their home enterntainment systems they hook up to their console. 

#61 Posted by com2006 (590 posts) -

GeForce-
With GDDR 5 PC's couldn't compete, it is the beast!!!
#62 Posted by clyde46 (47839 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

I have crawled out from under my rock

PC_Otter

Could you crawl back in? Hows greece doing? I thought they had planned to cut off your internet connection?

Is he Hellenic? That would explain why he's such an idiot. He probably expects the government to give him a job and the EU to pay for his country's debts.

Bahwhwhaheahahhaa

This is why we need to shed these poisonous countries.
#63 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

No, but if not for exclusives and idiot-proofing, PC gaming would make next gen consoles completely irrelevant.

#64 Posted by GeForce- (305 posts) -

[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

wakefulness

I can direct you to people who spend just as much (if not more) on their home enterntainment systems they hook up to their console. 

About £1,100. That's for the whole new PC.

In the future it won't be that much again since I can recycle my parts again.

#65 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -

GeForce-
#66 Posted by VanDammFan (4433 posts) -

[QUOTE="robotapple"]

I don't understand what the point of buying these fancy rigs when PC's are being dumbed down by the OS and all that overhead.

Why even bother with PC gaming when the games lead development platforms are on consoles anyway and your basically just eating console scraps?

tenaka2

You are forgetting why PC gamers are PC gamers.

The vast majority of console games are aimed at a very dumb audience, PC gamers would find console games shallow, easy and short with a live span shorter then a fruit fly*

Games like this obviously suit gamers like you perfectly as you don't like a challenge or any game that will challenge you. PC gamers want a bit more from their games.

*Fruit flies do not live for very long.

pc games are the same as console games..I really dont understand hermits mentality on this subject..lol..i pc game as well but there are no real differences where a pc game makes you Steven Hopkins and a console game makes you Homer Simpson..just crazy thinking man..

#67 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

[QUOTE="robotapple"]

nihonking

This guy may be on to something. Plus the GDDR5 puts the nail in the coffin for pc. Im prob gonna sell my rigs soon.

I am selling mine as well. As soon as I finish building it, I am selling it. Not worth having with the almighty PS4 coming with it's god specs
#68 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="robotapple"]

VanDammFan

The vast majority of console games are aimed at a very dumb audience, PC gamers would find console games shallow, easy and short with a live span shorter then a fruit fly*

Games like this obviously suit gamers like you perfectly as you don't like a challenge or any game that will challenge you. PC gamers want a bit more from their games.

pc games are the same as console games..I really dont understand hermits mentality on this subject..lol..i pc game as well but there are no real differences where a pc game makes you Steven Hopkins and a console game makes you Homer Simpson..just crazy thinking man..

30 FPS =/= 120 FPS, not to mention resolution and other PC features.

It's basically another game in terms of fluidity and playability.

#69 Posted by VanDammFan (4433 posts) -

[QUOTE="VanDammFan"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

Riadon2

that does not make the game a totally different new game..im sorry man..the only thing that pc games have are mods..thats it..thats all that I have ever seen to make a huge difference..ive played consoles my whole life..started playing pc in 99..so i have a lot of background..There just isnt enough "matter" in the equation to mean much to me..

#70 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

[QUOTE="nihonking"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

There are plenty of amazing games for the PC. 

dream431ca

Wrong PC is DEAD GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD!!!!!!!!!! A high end apu a 7850 and 8 gigs of GDDR5 my god you pc people are dense.....Do you understand how powerful the apu is? It is 1.6 ghz that is more powerful than my phone...Man the future looks sweet i cant wait. 

Is this post full of sarcasm?

The phone comment made it pretty obvious to me.
#71 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="VanDammFan"]

VanDammFan

that does not make the game a totally different new game..im sorry man..the only thing that pc games have are mods..thats it..thats all that I have ever seen to make a huge difference..ive played consoles my whole life..started playing pc in 99..so i have a lot of background..There just isnt enough "matter" in the equation to mean much to me..

You've never seen 120 FPS.  You've never played at 1440p.  You've never used multi-monitor.  You've never had a true "high-end" setup.

#72 Posted by DJP3000 (293 posts) -

Well I can't play Flight Simulator X or X-Plane 10 on current consoles and I am certain the next gen consoles won't have these games either.  I agree with you that it takes much more powerful hardware on the PC than a console  to handle the same game on the PC.  My i7-3820 / GTX 680 4GB struggles with Crysis 3 at max setting at 1080p, yet Xbox 360 and PS3 have this game and the hardware is 6-7 years old.  I have to cut back on the antialising setting majorly in Crysis 3 so that I can get a consistant 30 fps at 1080p.  Same goes with Far Cry 3 on my PC, yet this game is on 6-7 year old consoles as well.  Plus consoles don't have to deal with running Uplay client or Origin, which use up CPU cycles in addition to a more bloated OS than the consoles.  Also I get some heavy stuttering at times in Need for Speed Most Wanted when it's not running at 60 fps, yet Xbox 360 and PS3 can run this game.  In my opinion, PC gaming in general just seems messy and too much can go wrong (ex, potential video driver problems).  The only reason I'm keeping my powerful PC hardware is because I still have some games to complete and I don't want to buy those games over again for my Xbox 360, especially when I can't sell my PC games since they are tied to my accounts.  I wouldn't say that Next generation consoles will make PC gaming irrelevant, because PC still has it's exclusives such as X-Plane and Flight Simulator and I'm sure there is a big market for flight simulator enthusiasts.

#73 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

[QUOTE="wakefulness"]

[QUOTE="GeForce-"]

GeForce-

About £1,100. That's for the whole new PC.

In the future it won't be that much again since I can recycle my parts again.

Transistors and a lot of those parts burn out, so no. Computer parts are not as recyclable as say an umbrella. :P

But, yeah. People spend that much on a single speaker. If I where into building man caves, I know I would evolve into that. It's crazy, I know. Point being, we all spend money. And the world goes rouuuuunnnnnddd. :-)

#74 Posted by jsmoke03 (13363 posts) -

robotapple
4x the performance? or you mean pc games are held back by consoles by 4x?
#75 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

[QUOTE="robotapple"]

jsmoke03

4x the performance? or you mean pc games are held back by consoles by 4x?

He's just clueless.  Console optimization nets a 30% performance gain, at the most.

#76 Posted by -Unreal- (24567 posts) -

robotapple

It's 2013. You should understand that we now have not only dual cores but quad and hexacore CPUs as the norm now alongside plenty of main memory which makes an argument regarding OS resources completely redundant.

Who in this day and age with even a shred of technical knowledge would even mention something so trivial?

#77 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -
[QUOTE="VanDammFan"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="robotapple"]

I play Black Ops 2 at 120 fps/ 4x aa and best of all...dedicated servers. Thats means far less lag and no host migration or dropped games.
#78 Posted by nextgenjoke (1676 posts) -

lol console gamers wont ever be seeing these floodlight shadows in aliens colonial marines or crysis 3 like the pc version.

#79 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

lol console gamers wont ever be seeing these floodlight shadows in aliens colonial marines or crysis 3 like the pc version.

the shadow caused by my foot and the floorlight casting my shadow i made arrow pointing too is missing from consoles.

nextgenjoke

This generation of art direction is f***ing buttcheeks crap. That game (w/e it is) looks like a brown and grey toy story from the perspective of a retard.

Can't wait until garbage day arrives and a whole new direction of video gaming comes along to replace the crap I see above. At least X-Com made a come back, but there needs to be more awesome IP and better vision of gaming in the near future. 

If not, the entire gaming industry (from PC, console, mobile, tablet, AR, etc) could crash and burn. CoD vs BF wars will be a thing going into next gen? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvck that!

/rant

#80 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

PC gaming not irrevelant? Someone hasn't played BF3, Skyrim, Crysis 3 on PC Max settings because those games are the real versions not the console versions.

#81 Posted by the_bi99man (11062 posts) -

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

This thread is irrelevant. No good points at all.

robotapple

Tell me specifically what I said wasn't true?

I'm a hardcore PC fan... I just don't see a point to it anymore with PS4 on the horizon... sorry.

Waste of money.

That's because you're an idiot, and you're not a PC fan. 

#82 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1922 posts) -
The next gen consoles will also be much easier to emulate on PC since they will be using x86 CPU's lol. And PC gets WAY more games than consoles.
#83 Posted by DJP3000 (293 posts) -

PC gaming not irrevelant? Someone hasn't played BF3, Skyrim, Crysis 3 on PC Max settings because those games are the real versions not the console versions.

HaloPimp978

You would need at least a $1700 PC (including the price of the OS) to max out Crysis 3.  A $1700 PC from 2005 would not be able to handle Crysis 3 at console settings.

#84 Posted by nextgenjoke (1676 posts) -

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

DJP3000

You would need at least a $1700 PC (including the price of the OS) to max out Crysis 3.  A $1700 PC from 2005 would not be able to handle Crysis 3 at console settings.

my old dualcore can max crysis 3 with a damn 660 ti
#85 Posted by Jankarcop (10864 posts) -

People say this every gen. Then my sig happens + more sales + more gamers.

#87 Posted by VanDammFan (4433 posts) -

[QUOTE="VanDammFan"]

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

Riadon2

You've never seen 120 FPS.  You've never played at 1440p.  You've never used multi-monitor.  You've never had a true "high-end" setup.

Da&*n son..lol..you know all about me? You have a crystal ball?? How in the world would you know what ive seen,had,done,ect??..Im telling YOU that it takes a light upgrade in graphics to make a game SOOOOOO much better and "different"..sorry..been there dont it..i'll never agree with anyone that thinks differently than that..

#88 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3279 posts) -

Aww yeah! Dat GDDR5 domination baby!

#89 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="VanDammFan"]

VanDammFan

Da&*n son..lol..you know all about me? You have a crystal ball?? How in the world would you know what ive seen,had,done,ect??..Im telling YOU that it takes a light upgrade in graphics to make a game SOOOOOO much better and "different"..sorry..been there dont it..i'll never agree with anyone that thinks differently than that..

it's obvious, because you use the words "light upgrade" anyone who's seen both version knows is nothing "light" so keep trying fake boy. Or buy some glasses

#90 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7329 posts) -

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

DJP3000

Well I just bought a new PC for the holidays and it can handle Crysis 3 on Medium but everything else max.

#93 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="VanDammFan"]

VanDammFan

Don't need a crystal ball.  Anyone who has actually played a game on a decent gaming PC (much less high-end) can call your bluff.

#94 Posted by nextgenjoke (1676 posts) -

xbox brand was great when it first appeared on the market since the brand has gotten more mainstream its turned more into garbage.

#95 Posted by wakefulness (3989 posts) -

xbox brand was great when it first appeared on the market since the brand has gotten more mainstream its turned more into garbage.

nextgenjoke

What? They still own Halo, last I checked.

#96 Posted by nextgenjoke (1676 posts) -

[QUOTE="nextgenjoke"]

wakefulness

What? They still own Halo, last I checked.

Exactly the only decent game they have is a 2001 xbox launch title when they werent mainstream garbage and cared about gamers.

#97 Posted by sirk1264 (5640 posts) -

robotapple
you act as if PC hardware is not advancing any more. When intel releases haswell on the PC, consoles will be extremely outdated in the CPU department as they are already with current CPU models. Not to mention that they are already outdated by nvidia Titan on the graphics side and the amd 8000 line and nvidia 700 line will probably be coming out at the end of the year about when the ps4 and new Xbox come out and will make consoles obsolete from the start.
#98 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13595 posts) -

robotapple

Consoles do not have the games I desire. I'm not much into epileptic twitch-fests, much prefer a cerebral challenge.

And flight sims. Consoles don't have those, either.

And real Civ-style games (Civilization Revolution was a joke, but so was Civ5).

And I can't hook my cockpit setup to a console...can't hook it up to Vista/7/8 either, because MS dropped 16-bit hardware support after XP, but I still have my XP machine for just that purpose.

Oh, and Keyboard+Mouse for everything else. Can't stand thumbsticks.

#99 Posted by LazySloth718 (2345 posts) -

For me it's all very fluid.

On the one hand PC gaming is not really worth the time and energy.

On the other hand...it doesn't always take alot of time and energy.

On the third hand, console gaming is sometimes more f*cking annoying than PC gaming.

On the fourth hand, the economy is bad and good hardware is expensive.

And I have proof that PC gaming isn't that great.

People who are perfectly happy with their system don't come to system wars, this forum is about buyer's remorse. So if you're here talking up PC gaming, you're not trying to convince others, you're mainly trying to convince yourself.

#100 Posted by metal_zombie (2288 posts) -

noorly.jpg