Has Next Gen consoles made PC gaming completely irrelevant?

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by robotapple (663 posts) -

I don't understand what the point of buying these fancy rigs when PC's are being dumbed down by the OS and all that overhead.

I mean we already know with consoles you get roughly 4 x the performance with the same specs because you can code straight to metal.

Why even bother with PC gaming when the games lead development platforms are on consoles anyway and your basically just eating console scraps?

#2 Posted by soulitane (13406 posts) -
You could at least try and make an argument that makes sense.
#3 Posted by Nanomage (2367 posts) -
In wich console will one be able to play games like Star Citizen,Total War Rome 2,Arma 3,Amnesia A Machine for Pigs,Company of Heroes 2,Dreamfall Chapters,Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm,Carmageddon Reincarnation,Obsidian´s Project Eternity,Wasteland 2,,among hundreds of other games that I could be mentioning here all day long? That´s your answer.
#4 Posted by robotapple (663 posts) -

You could at least try and make an argument that makes sense.soulitane
What doesn't make sense?

Are you denying that consoles get way better performance being coded to metal?

Or that consoles are almost always the lead development platform?

I mean seriously... what's the point in getting a PC next gen when all games will be 1080p anyway? Do we really need a higher resolution?

#5 Posted by nihonking (154 posts) -

I don't understand what the point of buying these fancy rigs when PC's are being dumbed down by the OS and all that overhead.

I mean we already know with consoles you get roughly 4 x the performance with the same specs because you can code straight to metal.

Why even bother with PC gaming when the games lead development platforms are on consoles anyway and your basically just eating console scraps?

robotapple

This guy may be on to something. Plus the GDDR5 puts the nail in the coffin for pc. Im prob gonna sell my rigs soon.

#6 Posted by robotapple (663 posts) -

In wich console will one be able to play games like Star Citizen,Total War Rome 2,Arma 3,Amnesia A Machine for Pigs,Company of Heroes 2,Dreamfall Chapters,Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm,Carmageddon Reincarnation,Obsidian´s Project Eternity,Wasteland 2,,among hundreds of other games that I could be mentioning here all day long? That´s your answer.Nanomage

Point and click titles?

As this gen and most recently Diablo moving to consoles proves, is that next gen PC will likely have even less exclusives.

#7 Posted by dream431ca (10165 posts) -

This thread is irrelevant. No good points at all.

#8 Posted by Nanomage (2367 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nanomage"]In wich console will one be able to play games like Star Citizen,Total War Rome 2,Arma 3,Amnesia A Machine for Pigs,Company of Heroes 2,Dreamfall Chapters,Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm,Carmageddon Reincarnation,Obsidian´s Project Eternity,Wasteland 2,,among hundreds of other games that I could be mentioning here all day long? That´s your answer.robotapple

Point and click titles?

As this gen and most recently Diablo moving to consoles proves, is that next gen PC will likely have even less exclusives.

Yeah,keep telling yourself that and like always,at the end of the gen the system with the highest number of high scoring exclusive titles will also be the PC,just like this gen. And the gen before.

And lol point and click title,how little of an argument you have.

#9 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

When was PC gaming relevant the last 10 years ?

Every good game is on consoles, PC is full of copy/paste strategy games that are 1000% same to older ones (and usually with worst graphics and art) and MMOs that are generic garbages for the masses

#10 Posted by robotapple (663 posts) -

dream431ca

Tell me specifically what I said wasn't true?

I'm a hardcore PC fan... I just don't see a point to it anymore with PS4 on the horizon... sorry.

Waste of money.

#11 Posted by dream431ca (10165 posts) -

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

robotapple

I'm a hardcore PC fan... I just don't see a point to it anymore with PS4 on the horizon... sorry.

Waste of money.

There are plenty of amazing games for the PC. 

#12 Posted by soulitane (13406 posts) -

[QUOTE="soulitane"]You could at least try and make an argument that makes sense.robotapple

What doesn't make sense?

Are you denying that consoles get way better performance being coded to metal?

Or that consoles are almost always the lead development platform?

I mean seriously... what's the point in getting a PC next gen when all games will be 1080p anyway? Do we really need a higher resolution?

Higher frame rate, exclusives that consoles won't get (Rome 2 and other RTS's, as well as many others), higher FPS, more options for inputs, mods, always free online (obvious exceptions and also PS4 and WiiU have this), choice on cost, plus the added bonuses that some people get from having a fancy rig (video encoding and the like). Also there are higher resolutions than 1080p you know.
#13 Posted by robotapple (663 posts) -

[QUOTE="robotapple"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

dream431ca

Waste of money.

Yeah and I can play those games on the rig I have now...

no need to update when PS4 will attend to all my gaming needs.

From now on I'm only using my PC for retro games and software unrelated to gaming.

#14 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

In wich console will one be able to play games like Star Citizen,Total War Rome 2,Arma 3,Amnesia A Machine for Pigs,Company of Heroes 2,Dreamfall Chapters,Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm,Carmageddon Reincarnation,Obsidian´s Project Eternity,Wasteland 2,,among hundreds of other games that I could be mentioning here all day long? That´s your answer.Nanomage

You need a 15 years old PC everyone has to play Amnesia and Project Eternity, these games have not moved at all from gaming 10 years back, top down and 2D stuff dont require gaming PC in the first place

PC does have some 2D adventures, Banner Saga and a few other titles worth considering, but none is as exiting as console games or JRPGs and they are extremely few to begin with

Surly some will be good, but games like Project Eternity feel ancient and like indie attempts now

#15 Posted by tenaka2 (17013 posts) -

robotapple

You are forgetting why PC gamers are PC gamers.

The vast majority of console games are aimed at a very dumb audience, PC gamers would find console games shallow, easy and short with a live span shorter then a fruit fly*

Games like this obviously suit gamers like you perfectly as you don't like a challenge or any game that will challenge you. PC gamers want a bit more from their games.

*Fruit flies do not live for very long.

#16 Posted by Nanomage (2367 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nanomage"]In wich console will one be able to play games like Star Citizen,Total War Rome 2,Arma 3,Amnesia A Machine for Pigs,Company of Heroes 2,Dreamfall Chapters,Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm,Carmageddon Reincarnation,Obsidian´s Project Eternity,Wasteland 2,,among hundreds of other games that I could be mentioning here all day long? That´s your answer.loosingENDS

You need a 15 years old PC everyone has to play Amnesia and Project Eternity, these games have not moved at all from gaming 10 years back, top down and 2D stuff dont require gaming PC in the first place

Yeah,go on and try to play them on a 15 year old PC then. :lol: And Star Citizen,Arma 3 and Rome 2 alone completely destroy that argument litle man,but I like how you still try hard after all this time. :lol:
#17 Posted by nihonking (154 posts) -

[QUOTE="robotapple"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

dream431ca

Waste of money.

Wrong PC is DEAD GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD!!!!!!!!!! A high end apu a 7850 and 8 gigs of GDDR5 my god you pc people are dense.....Do you understand how powerful the apu is? It is 1.6 ghz that is more powerful than my phone...Man the future looks sweet i cant wait. 

#18 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

[QUOTE="robotapple"]

tenaka2

You are forgetting why PC gamers are PC gamers.

The vast majority of console games are aimed at a very dumb audience, PC gamers would find console games shallow, easy and short with a live span shorter then a fruit fly*

Games like this obviously suit gamers like you perfectly as you don't like a challenge or any game that will challenge you. PC gamers want a bit more from their games.

*Fruit flies do not live for very long.

And yet Demons Souls and Dark Souls are the games i have played the most this generation

And Lost Odyssey has lasted me longer than all PC games i have played the last 10 years combined

I will probably play Bravely Default on 3DS more than i would play all PC games in the next 15 years combined too

PC gaming LOL, i dont consider gaming going back to play a copy/pasted startegy game PC is full of

The worst part is that strategy games get much worst than previous ones, Heroes 6 is worst than Heores 3 and 5, Starcraft 2 was a joke comparing to SC1, Diablo 3 is a bad joke comparing to Diablo 2 etc

PC gaming is for the laughs right now

#19 Posted by zarshack (9936 posts) -

I was about to say "WTF is going on in that head of yours", then i remembered that this is System Wars.

#20 Posted by tenaka2 (17013 posts) -

I have crawled out from under my rock

loosingENDS

Could you crawl back in? Hows greece doing? I thought they had planned to cut off your internet connection?

#21 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

New consoles are announced.

Consolites call for the end of PC gaming.

Except, PC gaming constantly evolves in tech and consoles are locked into the tech they have. Within one year of each system's release their power will be eclipsed by PC. I'm glad (PS4 at least) is a major step up from what we have this gen right now, but consoles can't make PC gaming irrelevant. It is the long-term and more compelling option if you only choose to game on one platform.

#22 Posted by Drasonak (1509 posts) -
Not only that, but PC gamers don't shave the facial hair on their neck, essentially creating a beard-like exterior in this region known as a "neckbeard."
#23 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

Except, PC gaming constantly evolves in tech and consoles are locked into the tech they have. Within one year of each system's release their power will be eclipsed by PC. I'm glad (PS4 at least) is a major step up from what we have this gen right now, but consoles can't make PC gaming irrelevant. It is the long-term and more compelling option if you only choose to game on one platform.

NeonNinja

For RPGs PC is always irrelevant since the beggining, only now all its RPGs are on consoles

No JRPGs is a breaking deal

How is No no Kuni and Demons SOuls on PC ?

Bravely Default on 3DS alone, is better and 10 billion times more appealing than all of PC gaming the lest 15 years combined

Or how appealing was waiting 10 years to play the left overs of Dark Souls on console ? LOL, PC gaming is the most pathetic thing in gaming rigth now

If PC gaming actually exists, i dont even consider the one games per 10 years that turns out good to be a real soluton for a gamer

The only people that enjoy PC are people that like MMOs and Crysis with mods, i have zero interst in either

Once per 5-6 years a good PC comes i want to play, but in the mean time i would play like 200 console games

#24 Posted by robotapple (663 posts) -

NeonNinja

Yeah but you are missing the point.

PC's most advanced games are just console ports and this generation PC gamers bragging rights have just been taking these ports and playing them with higher resolutions and framerates...

if console games are going to be 1080p anyway next gen, what's the point in getting a PC?

Do I really need higher resolutions than that? :lol: Seriously.

#25 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

No.

#26 Posted by zarshack (9936 posts) -

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

robotapple

PC's most advanced games are just console ports and this generation PC gamers bragging rights have just been taking these ports and playing them with higher resolutions and framerates...

if console games are going to be 1080p anyway next gen, what's the point in getting a PC?

As many people will point out, graphics aren't the most important thing when it comes to games, unique titles exclusive to a platform create a reason for owning that platform. The PC has many of these said exclusives.

#28 Posted by nihonking (154 posts) -

[QUOTE="robotapple"]

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

zarshack

As many people will point out, graphics aren't the most important thing when it comes to games, unique titles exclusive to a platform create a reason for owning that platform. The PC has many of these said exclusives.

Call me when you get GDDR5 chump.

#29 Posted by dream431ca (10165 posts) -

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="robotapple"]Tell me specifically what I said wasn't true?

Waste of money.

nihonking

Wrong PC is DEAD GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD!!!!!!!!!! A high end apu a 7850 and 8 gigs of GDDR5 my god you pc people are dense.....Do you understand how powerful the apu is? It is 1.6 ghz that is more powerful than my phone...Man the future looks sweet i cant wait. 

Is this post full of sarcasm?

#30 Posted by zarshack (9936 posts) -

Call me when you GDDR5 chump.

nihonking

lol'd.

#31 Posted by nihonking (154 posts) -

[QUOTE="nihonking"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

dream431ca

That post was full of Sony built Gddr5.

#32 Posted by nihonking (154 posts) -

On a real note I have been a lurker for years system wars brings mad lols but this PS4 launch has really brought out the finest of fanboys it made me sign up....The ram issue is the number 1 lol bringer at this point.

#33 Posted by andmcq (259 posts) -

If anything the 8th Generation will make PC gaming more relevant than it's been in years.

#34 Posted by Timbury (552 posts) -

When was PC gaming relevant the last 10 years ?

Every good game is on consoles, PC is full of copy/paste strategy games that are 1000% same to older ones (and usually with worst graphics and art) and MMOs that are generic garbages for the masses

loosingENDS
Could say the same for consoles full of copy/paste generic FPS just as bad. Although thats not really a rip at the consoles but gaming in general nowadays.
#35 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

[QUOTE="nihonking"]

nihonking

You're trying too hard.

#36 Posted by Timbury (552 posts) -

[QUOTE="nihonking"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

MLBknights58

You're trying too hard.

Dont think he is trying hard enough.
#37 Posted by zarshack (9936 posts) -

On a real note I have been a lurker for years system wars brings mad lols but this PS4 launch has really brought out the finest of fanboys it made me sign up....The ram issue is the number 1 lol bringer at this point.

nihonking

It has escalated to pretty ridiculous levels thats for sure...

#38 Posted by nihonking (154 posts) -

[QUOTE="nihonking"]

[QUOTE="dream431ca"]

MLBknights58

You're trying too hard.

Nope just showing how many times i have read that the 8 gigs will render the PC dead...Im buying a ps4 but who ever thinks the ps4 is gonna knock out a mid to high end pc with the crap it has in it are trying to hard. I think it will perform awsome none the less and by end of life it will be on par with a 670 or maaaaayyybbbeeee a 680.

#39 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="nihonking"]

nihonking

You're trying too hard.

Nope just showing how many times i have read that the 8 gigs will render the PC dead...Im buying a ps4 but who ever thinks the ps4 is gonna knock out a mid to high end pc with the crap it has in it are trying to hard. I think it will perform awsome none the less and by end of life it will be on par with a 670 or maaaaayyybbbeeee a 680.

Ah I see.  Well high five.  Agreed.  I look forward to owning a PS4 as well.

#40 Posted by nihonking (154 posts) -

[QUOTE="nihonking"]

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

You're trying too hard.

MLBknights58

Ah I see.  Well high five.  Agreed.  I look forward to owning a PS4 as well.

Yep hope its good.

#41 Posted by zarshack (9936 posts) -

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="nihonking"]

nihonking

You're trying too hard.

That's not bad when you think about it based on what the cost of the system will be, I am partially saddened knowing that it is highly likely the PS4 will end up out performing my laptop which i paid a hell of a lot for 6 months ago, but i know that's my fault for wanting the convenience of a laptop and not taking the time to just build myself a PC.

#42 Posted by MonsieurX (29177 posts) -
Another great thread OP
#43 Posted by adamosmaki (9432 posts) -
just like Ps3 before just like PS2 just like Ps1. Oh wait pc gaming is more relevant than ever before ( looks at steam numbers )
#44 Posted by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

I have crawled out from under my rock

tenaka2

Could you crawl back in? Hows greece doing? I thought they had planned to cut off your internet connection?

Is he Hellenic? That would explain why he's such an idiot. He probably expects the government to give him a job and the EU to pay for his country's debts.

Bahwhwhaheahahhaa

#45 Posted by AzatiS (7108 posts) -
You could at least try and make an argument that makes sense.soulitane
+1
#46 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
Nope!
#47 Posted by PcGamingRig (7064 posts) -

It is 2005 all over again! :)

#48 Posted by Ben-Buja (2769 posts) -

Apart from the graphics PC offers much more freedom. The freedom to customize games how you want to.

Don't like the tiny FOV? Do a simple config change if the game doesn't have a slider.

Don't like playing with a certain controlling method? PC supports a wide range of peripherals.

Done with a game and a bit bored of the same old? Download some mods that enhance the gameplay experience.

Game overuses some graphic effect you dislike, like motion blur, lens flares or excessive bloom? Just turn it off.

Don't like paying 60 bucks for a game that ends up being 5-6 hours? Just wait for a steam sale and pick it up for 10.

PC also has the widest range of genres supported. RTS, MMOs, MOBAs and all that just can't be found on console en masse.

So, no PC gaming will not be completely irrelevant.

#49 Posted by lostrib (33036 posts) -

Because it's better, and i can upgrade.  And I can use it for multiple things, at the same time!

#50 Posted by Sir_Graham (3983 posts) -

Unless I missed something and consoles have large mod community, potential for dedicated servers for every game, cheaper games and decent strategy games I think not.