Has any developer/publisher ever complain about steam sales?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

I remember there were people who used to say it was somehow a bad thing because games are sold at lower price yet they seem to think it means low revenue and it makes people wait until its discounted. Not going to point figures because that wouldn't be nice lol. However, I can't recall any developer that said anything bad about the sales. Yet there have been developer who have supported the notion of restricting used games.

Note that the publisher decide what goes on sale it makes no sense to complain about something you have control over what games go on sale.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

EA did for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Lol if it wasn't for steam sale then I would still stay as pirate or would've given up gamin a long time ago. Gaming is too expensive as it is especially where I live.

Also Phil fishy bitched about it once.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GodspellWH

@RossRichard said:

EA did for sure.

They had a 80% discount sales right after a interview when one of the vice president of EA origin said it cheap intellectual property. He doesn't even work there anymore that's just bad PR talk when your company does the same exact thing.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GodspellWH
@Gamerno6666 said:

Lol if it wasn't for steam sale then I would still stay as pirate or would've given up gamin a long time ago. Gaming is too expensive as it is especially where I live.

Also Phil fishy bitched about it once.

The only thing I recall him saying is that humble bundle lets him keep 90% of the revenue oppose to steam 70 -75%

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Everyone knows that Steam Sales increase overall revenue. However CD Projekt Red bashed Steam Summer Sales and said that it makes people think that games aren't that good, that's why they are going on sale, even though their own platform GOG.com was offering free games at the same time along with cheaper prices.

CDP make great games but they are hypocrites, and suck at PR. Other than that, I can't think of any company that bashed sales. In fact, Valve don't put games on sale as long as devs give them permission to do so. In a lot of cases, they call them and ask them to put their game on sale.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Only companies who don't want to make more money from people who wouldn't normally buy their games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@godspellwh: He called those people cheap who bought his game for $5 from a steam summer sale.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

If people want a game for the full price at release, they buy it. Ense why Cities Skylines is nearly at 1 million, according to SteamSpy, at 40$.

Sales help, has you'd expect, but if you're game is good, it'll usually sell well at release just fine.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Hey it's better than piracy, I do still wonder at the disparity though, you can say a game sold a million or two copies but if most were at rock bottom sale prices is that actually much good?

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#11 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

its been years since i paid full price for a game. i don't buy much off steam but i often buy a game a couple years after its release for a fraction of its original price.

i'm sure really hyped people for a game will pay full price, but for me i couldn't care less and can wait for a long time for the price to drop.

however when it comes to hardware im the opposite, i'll buy it right away because price drops on most hardware never happen till they are outdated badly.

so if companies are complaining about steam sales... they have to realize these people would never have bought the game at full price.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Steam has certainly changed the amount of money I'm willing to pay for most games. Of course before Steam, I bought a whole lot less games in total, so I probably spend more on gaming than I ever did in the past. It just depends on how you look at it. Some companies get less from me than they would have, and some get more.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Don't publishers set the prices on steam?