Halo/Destiny writer jumps ship from bungie to MS again.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/10/halo-destiny-lead-writer-rejoins-microsoft/

Xbox studio manager Mike Ybarra revealed Staten’s return on Twitter, to the delight of fans.

It doesn’t sound like Staten will be joining 343 Industries to work on the Xbox One Halo game, though – or perhaps Microsoft just isn’t ready to talk about it yet.

“As a senior creative director, Joseph will help create the world’s best entertainment on Xbox, as well as help shape our franchise strategy for some Microsoft Studios titles,” A Microsoft representative told Polygon of Staten’s new role.

“He’ll also be one of our leading ambassadors to the game development community, building on his many years of experience and relationships with developers and fans. We’re excited to share more about Joseph’s role in the future.”

As mentioned above, Staten worked on every Halo title up until the franchise was turned over to 343 Industries after Bungie parted ways with Microsoft. He served as Bungie’s lead writer and creative director.

Uh, ok. So is Bungie a sinking ship and Destiny about to have some quality issues? No reason seems to have been given.

#2 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10048 posts) -

@Jakandsigz:

Staten left a long time ago - I remember commenting on B.net about it last year.

From September 24, 2013:

Dear community friends,

After fifteen great years at Bungie, from the battlefields of Myth to the mysteries of Halo and beyond, I'm leaving to tackle new creative challenges. While this may come as a surprise, fear not. It's been my pleasure building Destiny these past four years, and after the big reveal this Summer, our hugely talented team is on track for greatness. I'll be cheering all of them, with all of you, when the game launches next year. Thank you for your support of me, and your continued support of Bungie. We couldn't have done it without you.

Per Audacia Ad Astra!

Joseph Staten

http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11101

#3 Posted by Chutebox (36210 posts) -

Ok

#4 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

Sometimes people don't actually care too much about what the product is they work on. They just like money.

It's not like he's leaving Bungie to make some sort of statement about Bungie, or Destiny, and it goes the same for just about every dev who "jumps ship".

I don't know why this is always seen as newsworthy.

#5 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8403 posts) -

@treedoor said:

Sometimes people don't actually care too much about what the product is they work on. They just like money.

It's not like he's leaving Bungie to make some sort of statement about Bungie, or Destiny, and it goes the same for just about every dev who "jumps ship".

Corrinne Yu definitely seemed happy to get away from Microsoft and Bungie.

#6 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8403 posts) -

Is this basically a lemming admitting that Destiny is best on PlayStation? I think it is with that jealousy topic.

@treedoor said:

Corrinne Yu definitely seemed happy to get away from Microsoft and Bungie.

#7 Posted by Syn_Valence (1328 posts) -

He sabotage Destiny, now goes back to do the same to Halo.....trolling all the way

#8 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10048 posts) -

He sabotage Destiny, now goes back to do the same to Halo.....trolling all the way

Joseph Staten sabotaged Destiny? Joseph Staten sabotaged a product that he worked on and that the company he had worked at for 15 years was developing?

#9 Posted by silversix_ (13640 posts) -

Pre pre pre pre prequel to Halo universe with faceless hero 2.0. My body is NOT ready.

#10 Edited by foxhound_fox (86947 posts) -

MS probably paid better.

#11 Posted by handssss (1646 posts) -

Upon his arrival, this was waiting in his office.

#12 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3231 posts) -

Destiny will be fine, it'll be in the last stages of development so it won't affect it too much. Halo 5 won't be affected if he's assigned to it either.

This must be another of those crumbs Lems seize as good news, right?

#13 Posted by Bigboi500 (28804 posts) -

Fascinating.

#14 Edited by silversix_ (13640 posts) -

twelve threads made by your ass on front page.... what the F*CK?

#15 Edited by tymeservesfate (1469 posts) -

@Jakandsigz said:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/10/halo-destiny-lead-writer-rejoins-microsoft/

Xbox studio manager Mike Ybarra revealed Staten’s return on Twitter, to the delight of fans.

It doesn’t sound like Staten will be joining 343 Industries to work on the Xbox One Halo game, though – or perhaps Microsoft just isn’t ready to talk about it yet.

“As a senior creative director, Joseph will help create the world’s best entertainment on Xbox, as well as help shape our franchise strategy for some Microsoft Studios titles,” A Microsoft representative told Polygon of Staten’s new role.

“He’ll also be one of our leading ambassadors to the game development community, building on his many years of experience and relationships with developers and fans. We’re excited to share more about Joseph’s role in the future.”

As mentioned above, Staten worked on every Halo title up until the franchise was turned over to 343 Industries after Bungie parted ways with Microsoft. He served as Bungie’s lead writer and creative director.

Uh, ok. So is Bungie a sinking ship and Destiny about to have some quality issues? No reason seems to have been given.

ooo, that's a biggie.

i guess it wasnt that Bungie "escaped" from MS like cows like to say. MS actually supported them going on their own to flourish as a multiplat dev. and some seem to have missed the warm secure structure of MS's loving arms. good on you Microsoft...good on you.