Halo 3 is casual game...right?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by minniepink (464 posts) -

With all the sales rising...and people finding it innovative and fun...i thought it was supposed to be compared to the Wii...(jkjk)

So...I still wonder why so many people bought Halo 3...yup...sure it's pretty casual for families...

#2 Posted by nivet14 (5329 posts) -

Halo 3 is both casual and hardcore.

#3 Posted by jg4xchamp (47431 posts) -
its casual in that its easy to pick up and its an online shooter. there is nothing difficult about that. in fact any shooter has casual appeal.

The hardcore aspect of the game is the the amount of time, effort, and skill it takes to be great and amazing at the game. the skill gap between the great and the casuals is huge in Halo 3 and Halo 2 as well.

Its like that in every shooter.

The only true hardcore shooters are the ones with the wierd storylines or unique atmosopheric feel.

Like a Half Life or Bioshock or System SHock or Deus Ex. DO i like Halo as much as those games if not more. yes.

But to say those games arent intended more for a niche market than halo is an obvious thing we all can see.
#4 Posted by trup522 (149 posts) -
What point are you trying to make exactly?
#5 Posted by -Tretiak (2416 posts) -

nivet14

You know, I was just thinking the same thing. It's weird that way. Halo has become very mainstream, yet it also has a massive hardcore following.

#6 Posted by white45e (2453 posts) -

its a hardcore game but it is also really amazing and anyone can get into it.

casual does not only mean for people under 18 years of age.

#7 Posted by Vyse_The_Daring (5318 posts) -
[QUOTE="nivet14"]

-Tretiak

You know, I was just thinking the same thing. It's weird that way. Halo has become very mainstream, yet it also has a massive hardcore following.

These men speak the truth.

#8 Posted by jimmygrace (2405 posts) -
Halo 3 is just a great game that is both hardcore and casual.Just like GTA, Mario platformers, and Smash Bros, some great games are actually noticed by the mainstream aduience.
#9 Posted by cobrax80 (4658 posts) -
Halo can be played casualy so I guess it can be a casual game.
#10 Posted by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -

Seems quite casual to me.

#11 Posted by BioShockOwnz (52901 posts) -
Halo is so successful because it's a game that is catered to both the casual and hardcore.
#12 Posted by KungfuKitten (20872 posts) -
Bit like SSB, easy to pick up, hard to master.
Some of the bestest games are like that.
#13 Posted by briguyb13 (2768 posts) -
Halo 3 and the Wii are in the exact same boat. There are infact hardcore Halo 3 players and Wii owners out there, but the overwhelming majority of the people who buy them are casual.
#14 Posted by DrinkDuff (6762 posts) -

nivet14
Yep it can appeal to both parties, and everyone in between... Just don't expect to do well online if you have only played two other games in your life. (meaning Halo 1 and Halo 2; see what I did there?)
#15 Posted by strudel420 (3687 posts) -

I'd say that it is.

#16 Posted by zsc4 (5233 posts) -
According to what people classify games as casual, this fits right into it. Don't get me wrong I hate the 'casual' game specification...but thats just the way it is.
#17 Posted by EntwineX (5858 posts) -

nivet14
I agree. It's an FPS which is traditionally a hc genre, but it's still casual. Kinda like WoW is in the traditionally hc mmo genre yet it has casual appeal. I guess Oblivion could be counted ini there as well. That seems to be the formula for success these days.
#19 Posted by Ultra-Fatality (923 posts) -

In SW, casualness seems to be defined by popularity.

#20 Posted by mwa (2639 posts) -

nivet14

yeah it's one of those few games that casuals can easily get into but only dedicated hardcore players can master

#21 Posted by PS3_3DO (10976 posts) -

Halo Spinning. Yeah that could bring in the Casuals.

#22 Posted by clone01 (24543 posts) -

In SW, casualness seems to be defined by popularity.

Ultra-Fatality

i know. i find it a bit ridiculous. i liken to people who do speed runs in Super Mario Brothers. that was one of the most popular games of all time. but people can speed run that in 8 minutes. THAT is hardcore. doesn't depend of the game, it depends on the player.

#24 Posted by Runningflame570 (10439 posts) -
With the size of the customer base currently its most certainly WELL into casual territory, however as I've stated on other occasions a game can be casual but have a hardcore audience as well.