Halo: 1 of few shooter franchises not to come out annualy

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8565 posts) -

Halo is 1 of the few BLOCKBUSTER shooter franchises not to come out annualy if you count main installments of the series.

I think all in all it's an impressive feat when you compare it to CoD series which have now received a critical backlash for recycling. Halo might not be reinventing the wheel with each iteration but it never goes this low to just recycle and despite being very multi player savvy, it never had a single player campaign that seemed to be an afterthought. What are your thoughts?

#2 Posted by RR360DD (11800 posts) -

Yeah in terms of main installments, agreed. (Spartan assault did release this year)

And if rumours are true about the next Halo, it will be a big leap forward from previous Halos.

Although we never had a Battlefield last year, and I doubt we'll get one next year either.

#3 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2579 posts) -

It's simple,they need to stop those yearly releases.

it kills the franchises.

#4 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7156 posts) -

Zelda, Forza, Gears of War, God of War, Uncharted, Metroid, Total War, Diablo, Half Life, Warcraft, Starcraft, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, The Witcher, Dark Souls, Pokemon, and on and on and on.

#5 Edited by Desmonic (13767 posts) -

Gran Turismo, MGS (I think), Mario 3D (aka, the proper main installments), BF as already mentioned and probably a couple more can brag about that too.

I personally prefer the every 2-3 year approach myself, since with annual games the room for proper improvements is much, much lower and you kinda get tired/fatigued of the series fairly easily

#6 Posted by dommeus (9270 posts) -

Zelda, Forza, Gears of War, God of War, Uncharted, Metroid, Total War, Diablo, Half Life, Warcraft, Starcraft, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, The Witcher, Dark Souls, Pokemon, and on and on and on.

lol pretty much

#7 Edited by Nanomage (2417 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Pretty much.

Although isn´t there a pokemon game every single year now?

#8 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14003 posts) -

lt has been annual every year except this one

07-Halo 3, next year was Halo wars, then 09 ODST, then 2010- Halo reach, then 2011- Halo Anniversary, 2012- Halo 4.

And Halo 5 will most likely come out next year. They skipped one year, honestly l think they could take a little more time in between games. Halo games were better under 3 year dev cycles.

#9 Posted by DirkXXVI (497 posts) -

It's they need to stop those yearly releases.

it kills the franchises.

Agreed. It's a big part of the reason I hate video game publishers that go public on Wall Street. So many bad decisions made in recent years through the lens of impressing investors in the short term. Like instead of coming up with ideas for games that can be well made and giving them time to be developed, the dominant line of thinking seems to be, "Hey COD sold a lot of games, lets make a game like that and rush it out the door in time for our quarterly earnings report." Exhibits A and B being EA and Capcom.

Fortunately Sony and Microsoft seem to do a great job of managing their in house studios and Take Two doesn't seem to fall victim to investor pressure so thats good at least. My only worry now is the so called "activist investors" who recently got a seat on the board at Microsoft, with their great idea being to sell off the gaming division. Sure Microsoft likely won't sell but then I could easily seeing someone who knows little to nothing about video games citing COD and asking the heads of the gaming division why they don't do the same thing with Halo.

Regardless the way it's done now is the way it needs to be.

#10 Edited by Heil68 (43996 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Yup

And Halo came out pretty often ESPECIALLY after 2009, right when MS decided to drop core.

#11 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

You can't fault lemmings for not knowing this. They think gaming starts and ends with COD and Halo.

#12 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7156 posts) -

@Nanomage said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Pretty much.

Although isn´t there a pokemon game every single year now?

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm really not that into the Pokemon franchise, so I wouldn't be too surprised if I'm wrong there.

#13 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

@Nanomage:

Spinoffs, yes, but new generations average about 3 years apart from each other.

#14 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8565 posts) -

But I said the topic is about shooters. And the sales of the series in this generation must be stratospheric.

#15 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7156 posts) -

But I said the topic is about shooters. And the sales of the series in this generation must be stratospheric.

If the sales have to be as big as Halo, then the only shooter franchise that you can even compare to it is COD.

#16 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8565 posts) -

Btw I started gaming 22 years ago on C64, and finished such obscure titles like Rise of the Argonauts which you probably didn't realize it even exists.

#17 Edited by Negro-y-Azul (79 posts) -

Well then, add Bioshock, Crysis, Far Cry, Half Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, Deus Ex, The Darkness, Metro, Stalker, etc etc etc... none of those are annual.

Really, this is just a COD bitch thread, isn't it?

#18 Edited by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

And this is a good thing. After Halo 4, 343's first Halo game I'm glad the next one will have nearly 2 full years dev time when it debuts next fall. It is the most important franchise to MS and despite 4 being the biggest seller in the series history, a lot of fans had issues with it that 5 must address. Plus 343 is no doubt getting the best if the best dev tools and just really optimizing what the One will be able to do. CoD really needs 2 or 3 years away to hammer out a great experience.

Halo needed the time away. I can't wait to see what it brings to us in the fall of 2014.

#19 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

Battlefield 3 sold over 15 million copies and it is not a yearly release.

#20 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7156 posts) -

Btw I started gaming 22 years ago on C64, and finished such obscure titles like Rise of the Argonauts which you probably didn't realize it even exists.

Why game on the C64 when the SNES and Genesis are available? I agree with you that too many franchises are getting milked to death, but really it's just the 4 or 5 franchises that casuals flock to every year. Most franchises aren't getting that treatment, at least not yet.

#21 Posted by Nanomage (2417 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Battlefield 3 sold over 15 million copies and it is not a yearly release.

And let´s not even mention Half Life wich has sales even higher than the Halo games and we haven´t seen a main entry in 9 years.

#22 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17492 posts) -

07-Halo 3, next year was Halo wars, then 09 ODST, then 2010- Halo reach, then 2011- Halo Anniversary, 2012- Halo 4.

And Halo 5 will most likely come out next year. They skipped one year, honestly l think they could take a little more time in between games. Halo games were better under 3 year dev cycles.

THIS. Damn right they milked Halo almost as bad as Gears.

#23 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8565 posts) -

In my country there weren't even any Nintendo products at the time, there were only bootleg knockoffs and Sega must have been reserved only for bourgeois. Even typically considered a working class system, Amiga, was not that common here, though probably still most popular 16 bit platform. Sorry for not being able to quote, I'm on Opera Mini.

#24 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8565 posts) -

I didn't think things through, the OP would indeed be true for main installments.

#25 Posted by Negro-y-Azul (79 posts) -

@VendettaRed07 said:

THIS. Damn right they milked Halo almost as bad as Gears.

? Gears was a dam good trilogy spaced over 5 years. Only Judgement smacks of milkage.

#26 Posted by Wasdie (49753 posts) -

No Battlefield game came out in 2012.

#27 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

At least Halo games aren't always the same

Wars was the best RTS ever on a console and a lot of people will say that isn't hard to achieve but I actually enjoyed it just as much as Starcraft 2 and it was nice and relaxing to play despite being hard when you get to the higher ranks online.

ODST was strictly Single player + co-op and the firefight mode was amazing on it for co-op and was actually challenging.

Spartan Assault is a top down shooter

#28 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

Halo 3 2007

Halo 3 ODST 2008

Halo wars 2009

Halo Reach 2011

Halo CE remake 2012

Halo 4 2013

DAmn!! too many Halos release yearly. yet ppls want more of same ol generic crap.

#29 Edited by Clock-w0rk (3238 posts) -

Were you high when you made this topic? lol

#30 Posted by drekula2 (1928 posts) -

Halo 3

Halo ODST

Halo Wars

Halo Reach

Halo Anniversary

Halo 4

all in one gen, yeah right

#31 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

Halo 3 2007

Halo 3 ODST 2008

Halo wars 2009

Halo Reach 2011

Halo CE remake 2012

Halo 4 2013

DAmn!! too many Halos release yearly. yet ppls want more of same ol generic crap.

3 main Halo games were released this gen and the others were single player only/RTS etc.

#32 Posted by Shewgenja (8790 posts) -

IMHO, Halo stopped being a major franchise when Bungie stopped making them.

#33 Edited by charizard1605 (56955 posts) -

2007: Halo 3
2008: Halo Wars
2008: Halo 3: ODST
2010: Halo: Reach
2011: Halo: Combat Evolved: Anniversary
2012: Halo 4

Seems pretty annual to me.

On that note, there are plenty of other major franchises that aren't annual: The Legend of Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto, and so on.

#34 Edited by senses_fail_06 (6736 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Yup

And Halo came out pretty often ESPECIALLY after 2009, right when MS decided to drop core.

Ownage approved. Excellent work as usual Heil.

I just hope the next Halo is like 3 and less like 4.

#35 Posted by Ninja-Hippo (23426 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

Halo 3

Halo ODST

Halo Wars

Halo Reach

Halo Anniversary

Halo 4

ODST was just a Halo 3 expansion, Halo Wars was a completely different game set in the same universe and Anniversary was just a re-release of the original for the 360. You're reaching.

In terms of actual legit Halo games, they've only released three this whole generation as opposed to COD2, COD3, World at War, Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops, Black Ops 2, Ghosts.

#36 Posted by drekula2 (1928 posts) -

Reaching? The fact is that the core gameplay has barely changed since Halo 3. ODST can get a pass, but it's still a derivative game. But Reach and Halo 4 are too safe for their own good.

#37 Posted by clone01 (24656 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Gran Turismo, MGS (I think), Mario 3D (aka, the proper main installments), BF as already mentioned and probably a couple more can brag about that too.

I personally prefer the every 2-3 year approach myself, since with annual games the room for proper improvements is much, much lower and you kinda get tired/fatigued of the series fairly easily

I agree. I got burned out midway through Assassin's Creed 3 for that very reason.

#38 Posted by GhoX (4880 posts) -

Hopefully Half Life will come out every decade.

#39 Posted by Animal-Mother (26778 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

Halo 3

Halo ODST

Halo Wars

Halo Reach

Halo Anniversary

Halo 4

ODST was just a Halo 3 expansion, Halo Wars was a completely different game set in the same universe and Anniversary was just a re-release of the original for the 360. You're reaching.

In terms of actual legit Halo games, they've only released three this whole generation as opposed to COD2, COD3, World at War, Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, Modern Warfare 3, Black Ops, Black Ops 2, Ghosts.

ODST wasn't an expansion

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/08/how-halo-3-odst-went-from-expansion-to-full-game/

#40 Posted by handssss (1834 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

Halo 3

Halo ODST

Halo Wars

Halo Reach

Halo Anniversary

Halo 4

Yes ODST was just an expansion... that was sold at full retail price. what a fucking ripoff what was. $60 for a 3 hour campaign and repackaged halo 3 maps. Oh and the Reach beta. The best part about it.

#41 Edited by VendettaRed07 (14003 posts) -

@VendettaRed07 said:

At least Halo games aren't always the same

Wars was the best RTS ever on a console and a lot of people will say that isn't hard to achieve but I actually enjoyed it just as much as Starcraft 2 and it was nice and relaxing to play despite being hard when you get to the higher ranks online.

ODST was strictly Single player + co-op and the firefight mode was amazing on it for co-op and was actually challenging.

Spartan Assault is a top down shooter

Never said they were. Problem is they aren't as good as they used to be and feel a bit rushed. Lack the polish and the balance the series used to have. Halo used to be THE Shooter.. lts not even close to that status and for a good reason. lts just copied other games elements and implements them in poor ways and lost lts originality. Go back to being an arena shooter plz.

Rather than making a random spinoff or remake on the side every other year, they should focus 100% on making the main games as good as possible as well.

#42 Posted by cainetao11 (17358 posts) -

I'd say God of War as well. Not a shooter, but a major franchise nonetheless.

#43 Posted by cainetao11 (17358 posts) -

Halo 3 2007

Halo 3 ODST 2008

Halo wars 2009

Halo Reach 2011

Halo CE remake 2012

Halo 4 2013

Wrong. ODST came out in sept of 2009 guy, so no Halo in 2008. HW came out in feb 2009

#44 Edited by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

Uncharted isn't a major franchise?

Looks like, Another shitty post from saltandfries

#45 Posted by SonofK (1066 posts) -

Major installments? No, Halo in general? We get one including remakes and spin offs. But Halo is essentially the Star Wars of video games, so you're bound to get spin offs. I don't mine though, I'd love to see an action based game made by Platinum where we play as one of the Elites. That would be ridiculous

Halo has a lot of lore in it's universe, they really could make games that aren't shooters, Halo Wars was a nice change from traditional Halo titles.

#46 Edited by lamprey263 (23542 posts) -

Reach was Halo's swan song, CE Anniversary and Halo 4 are like the zombie remnants of the franchise, still the same body but rotten and dead inside, only a shell of its former self.

#47 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8565 posts) -

The main point of this thread that it's blurred between the lines is after the disappointing reception of CoD Ghosts and BF4, and uncertain fate of Killzone, everyone's hopes and needs might shift to the next installment of the Halo franchise, which might overshadow them all critically. I, for one, am one of such people, and I think this occurence might be an interesting contrast to the naysayers of the franchise during the 7th console generation. That is all.

#48 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10143 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

Halo 3 2007

Halo 3 ODST 2008

Halo wars 2009

Halo Reach 2011

Halo CE remake 2012

Halo 4 2013

Wrong. ODST came out in sept of 2009 guy, so no Halo in 2008. HW came out in feb 2009

so two halos in one year?

#49 Edited by SonofK (1066 posts) -

Make Halo's single player like Metroid Prime, upgradable weapons, cool armor abilities like the screw attack, more emphasis on exploration, BOSS BATTLES

Make the MP like TF2, class based MP, none of this COD crap

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

#50 Posted by cainetao11 (17358 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

Halo 3 2007

Halo 3 ODST 2008

Halo wars 2009

Halo Reach 2011

Halo CE remake 2012

Halo 4 2013

so two halos in one year?

Yup. Still negates claim that it is yearly guy