Half-Life vs. Halo franchise

• 80 results
Edited 2 months, 28 days ago

Poll: Half-Life vs. Halo franchise (99 votes)

Half-Life franchise 58%
Halo franchise 42%

Which franchise is better and why?

My vote goes Half Life. Why? Simple. Better story, better story telling and universe is interesting. (Portal too in same universe).

Half-Life

Halo

#1 Edited by lostrib (34582 posts) -

At least halo can count to 3

#2 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9515 posts) -

this thread... shouldnt exist

#3 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10350 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Boom! Halo also doesn't make you wait six years between iterations...or seven, or eight, or nine...or however long until the next Half-Life game comes out.

#4 Edited by Chatch09 (309 posts) -

Halo, although 3 and 4 were "meh" for campaign (IMO), the MP was good though. Reach is my favorite for campaign besides the original.

#5 Posted by jg4xchamp (47389 posts) -

Halo.

As disappointing as Halo's campaigns were, the MP was usually pretty good. And fuck Half Life 2.

#6 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2567 posts) -

Half-Life franchise

#7 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28039 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Boom! Halo also doesn't make you wait six years between iterations...or seven, or eight, or nine...or however long until the next Half-Life game comes out.

I'd rather wait however long it takes for a top-quality game than to be given a new installment that feels more like a rehash than something original.

#8 Posted by harry_james_pot (10581 posts) -

Half-Life.

#9 Posted by Heil68 (43466 posts) -

Halo.

#10 Posted by VERTIGO47 (6248 posts) -

Love Halo 1-2, but 3-4 were let downs. Decent games, but surprisingly disappointing.

Half-Life all the way.

#11 Edited by inb4uall (5358 posts) -

@lostrib said:

The fact that halo is milked is no reason to be proud.

#12 Posted by MonsieurX (29553 posts) -

Half-Life 2 cinematic mod and Black Mesa win

#13 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16297 posts) -

Let's see

Half Life gave us scriped and cinematic singleplayer experiences, counterstrike and numerous other mods

Halo gave us regen health and 2 weapon limits

@lostrib said:

At least half life is't milked

See, it can go both ways :P

#14 Posted by sts106mat (19037 posts) -

Halo

#15 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8373 posts) -

No Halo game has ever let me down. Surely some aspects of the individual iterations might have sucked but despite multiple installments the series hasn't been diluted, IMO.

#16 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4713 posts) -

Lol at the kids voting Halo, Half Life is in another league

#17 Posted by Yoshi9000 (387 posts) -

Man, I love both series so much. Hard to decide. I have to go with halo though, because of the multiplayer. Custom games and forge just make the game for me. However, I think Halo needs to take a break with the games. I feel like the series reached it's prime with halo 3, in my opinion. Half life on the other hand, needs some more games.

#18 Posted by Suppaman100 (3777 posts) -

LOL HALO, a mediocre broshooter that has turned to crap thx to 343. LMFAO!

#19 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13447 posts) -

Despite being numerically challenged, I'm going with Half-Life. Love those games, and the setting was so fresh at release for both of those titles.

Also halo has never had a mod community to speak of, so no godly MP like counter strike. Something I played the absolute shit out of as a kid.

#20 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3481 posts) -

Halo. Half Life 2 and its episodes are excellent though.

#21 Edited by ninjaxams (7106 posts) -

halo is far and away the better series. i'll even go as far to say the halflife games aren't even that good. resistance 3 even took inspiration from halflife 2 and out did it to a massive extent. i'm quite annoyed at how those titles are perceived as the best that the genre has to offer because i can think of a multitude of FPSs that are lightyears better.

#22 Edited by coasterguy65 (5880 posts) -

I love some Halo, but Half Life is in it's own league.

#23 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10350 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@lostrib said:

A new game every three years is hardly milking a franchise. I'm not the biggest fan of collections, but look at how many people even here in System Wars are excited about the Master Chief collection - and it was fun to explore Halo: Combat Evolved again.

I would also bet people would be interested in a 2014/15 remake of the original Half-Life.

#24 Edited by GreySeal9 (24114 posts) -

Half Life is more compelling but Halo is funner.

#25 Posted by MonsieurX (29553 posts) -

LOL HALO, a mediocre broshooter that has turned to crap thx to 343. LMFAO!

LOL Killzone trying to kill Halo

#26 Posted by happyduds77 (1449 posts) -

Half Life it's a no-brainer, it's better in every possible way than Halo.

#27 Posted by StormyJoe (4903 posts) -

Halo. Not necessarily because any Halo game is better than any Half-Life game, but because the Halo franchise has broken out into books, webisodes (Forward Unto Dawn), cartoons, and a future live-action TV show. Plus, I think Halo games are more popular (especially among non-gamers) than Half Life.

It's a more valuable franchise.

#28 Posted by XOne_ShotX91 (151 posts) -

Halo, definitely. I dont mind Half Life, but I never really understood why everybody raves about it. It's just not interesting. Also, Gordon is a dead cardboard character. Im not saying Chief is better but damn! Atleast the Chief is midly interesting, lol.

#29 Posted by mems_1224 (46585 posts) -

Halo, easily. Its not even remotely close.

#30 Posted by handssss (1824 posts) -

Neither story is exactly bind-blowing or original, but Halo has the better and more thought out and developed story, better characters, and for the most part, a MP people actually care about. (Counterstrike is its own IP and before was a mod, so let's not use it as a lame defense shield for Half-Life) Campaign co-op is also pretty awesome.

Honestly I wouldn't even give HL2 an 8/10 and that's even considering the year it came out since Halo 2 released the same year. Boring and overrated as fuck with only adequate gunplay.

#31 Posted by Flubbbs (2972 posts) -

Half Life and it isnt even close

#32 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4432 posts) -

i voted half life.

first time playthroughs i enjoy both games the same

multiple playthroughs i enjoy the half lifes more.

there was once a man, treedoor, he would have said half life as well.

#33 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3807 posts) -

Halo. I just enjoy it more. Halo 1,2, and 3 are some of the best FPS's ever created. Halo 4 was a disappointment though.

#34 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

PC is my main gaming platform, but I did enjoy Halo CE and subsequent Halo titles much, much more than Half Life...

#35 Posted by foxhound_fox (87725 posts) -

Franchises? Halo by a landslide.

Game by game? Half Life: Episode 2 probably beats out most Halo games, except for Reach.

#36 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6162 posts) -

I don't even see the code anymore. All I see is blonde, brunette, redhead..............

#37 Posted by PonchoTaco (1976 posts) -

Halo. The Half-Life series is overrated, imo.

#38 Posted by PAL360 (26723 posts) -

I'm going with Halo since CE is still one of the best games i ever played. Loved both Half Life games, though, especially the second one.

#39 Posted by faizan_faizan (7849 posts) -

I really like the original Halo, but Halo 2, not that much. I enjoyed the co-op in Halo 3 with friends, which was a good game, too. But the Half-Life series is just in another league. Words cannot describe. The first time you're playing Half-Life 2, you're just taken into another universe, you don't feel like playing a game any more. The replayability is good, too. It's hard to find games with high replayability that aren't open-world/sandbox.

Not to mention the fantastic episodes. Standalone DLCs should be more popular, standalone DLCs are the best kind of DLCs. Episodes from Liberty City was absolutely amazing, and a huge improvement to GTA IV. At times, TBoGT didn't feel like the same game at all.

#40 Posted by Roler42 (600 posts) -

Half-Life hands down

#41 Posted by delta3074 (17904 posts) -

Reach> Half life 2> Every other Halo game.

#42 Posted by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

I'll go for Halo. I simply found the universe far more interesting, and the MP was a huge amount of fun. I still remember 4-player MP on the original Halo. Good times.

#43 Posted by Cranler (8730 posts) -

Except for the gunplay which is the most important aspect of a shooter.

#44 Edited by AcidTango (533 posts) -

Half-Life series. Love them all. The only Halo game that I ever liked was the first Halo.

#45 Edited by Bruin1986 (1236 posts) -

@happyduds77 said:

Except for the multiplayer half of the game.

Half-life 2 single player was godly though.

And the gun play was better in Halo.

And the Chief > Gordon

#46 Posted by Bruin1986 (1236 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@lostrib said:

Ironic, considering Valve learned how to milk PC gamers (myself included), without even making new games.

#47 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4432 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

@lostrib said:

Ironic, considering Valve learned how to milk PC gamers (myself included), without even making new games.

we might need a milkman here, because i believe you gents are discussing two different types of milk.

they differ in their extraction process.

#48 Posted by blamix99 (1696 posts) -

really? your gonna compare the great Half Life to Halo? lol..

#49 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

Lol at the kids voting Halo, Half Life is in another league

I was already an adult when I played the original Half Life with my Voodoo 3 card. Halo is the much better franchise, IMO...

#50 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3887 posts) -

halo by a mile, half life is boring as shit. i had to force myself to try and finish it, the furthest i ever got was that zombie town in half life 2