Half life vs Deus Ex

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -
Which is better series? I cant choose b/w both. both are best franchises ever.  VS
#2 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -
Half life has 2 main games and 2 episodes Deus Ex has 2 Main game but one bad games that ripped from exsistence
#3 Posted by TheOtherTheoG (2287 posts) -
Eek, these two are probably my favourite series' of all time (Mass Effect and System/BioShock too come to think of it). As a whole, probably Half-Life, because Invisible War exists.
#4 Posted by Planeforger (15400 posts) -
As a whole, the Half-Life series is better. Every game is expertly designed, and each pushed a boundary when they first came out - either in terms of gameplay design or player immersion/interaction. The Deus Ex series is great, but only the first game was groundbreaking. The second was...well, many would say there is no second game. And the prequel was pretty good, but didn't improve on the original game's formula.
#5 Posted by tjricardo089 (7429 posts) -

Half-Life is the beast.

#6 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -
Eek, these two are probably my favourite series' of all time (Mass Effect and System/BioShock too come to think of it). As a whole, probably Half-Life, because Invisible War exists.TheOtherTheoG
But Episode 1 also exist
#7 Posted by dommeus (9097 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheOtherTheoG"]Eek, these two are probably my favourite series' of all time (Mass Effect and System/BioShock too come to think of it). As a whole, probably Half-Life, because Invisible War exists.SNIPER4321
But Episode 1 also exist

Episode 1 is good as part of a collection, it was just a disappointment when bought separately.
#8 Posted by chocooman (50 posts) -
eh not my favorite game series nor am I a huge fan of these games. BUT, I think I can look past Half Life 1 flaws more easily than Deus Ex flaws, so I'll go with Half Life series.
#9 Posted by Firebird-5 (2848 posts) -
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="TheOtherTheoG"]Eek, these two are probably my favourite series' of all time (Mass Effect and System/BioShock too come to think of it). As a whole, probably Half-Life, because Invisible War exists.dommeus
But Episode 1 also exist

Episode 1 is good as part of a collection, it was just a disappointment when bought separately.

lol... a 'collection' released 1 year apart and has still not been completed
#11 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26062 posts) -

Deus Ex craps all over Half Life.

#12 Posted by Am_Confucius (3376 posts) -

Do we count mods or not?

With mods, HF2 is superior.

Otherwise, Deus Ex.

#13 Posted by TheOtherTheoG (2287 posts) -
[QUOTE="TheOtherTheoG"]Eek, these two are probably my favourite series' of all time (Mass Effect and System/BioShock too come to think of it). As a whole, probably Half-Life, because Invisible War exists.SNIPER4321
But Episode 1 also exist

Episode 1 is fine. It's largely filler content, sure, and lacks the 'wow' feeling that HL2 and Ep. 2 have, but it's basically more stuff like the last couple of chapters of 2, nothing special, but absolutely fine. Invisible War, on the other hand, is a complete betrayal of every design concept which made the first game so successful.
#14 Posted by coasterguy65 (5713 posts) -

I've spent a lot of time with Deus Ex especially the first one, and it is a great series. Seriously there is no way to compare it to the greatness that is Half Life. In just the number of games and spin offs alone the HL series cleans up.

#15 Posted by MonsieurX (28627 posts) -
Yay,Snyper and his threads are back HL2 ftw.
#16 Posted by TheOtherTheoG (2287 posts) -
Yay,Snyper and his threads are back HL2 ftw.MonsieurX
We have truly missed him.
#17 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Hmm I've only played Deus Ex, and it's one of my favorite games of all time. Half Life was a good game, but the ending was awful. Half Life 2 is mediocre, episode 1 is bad, and episode 2 is good. I'm gonna go with Deus Ex.

#18 Posted by funsohng (27456 posts) -
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Yay,Snyper and his threads are back HL2 ftw.TheOtherTheoG
We have truly missed him.

And we are very glad he is back.
#19 Posted by MoldOnHold (11760 posts) -
Ew Half Life. Such a boring series. The best thing that I can say about that steaming pile of digital crap is that it spawned TF and Portal, which are both a hundred times better than the source material. Deus Ex wins by default
#20 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16033 posts) -

Ew Half Life. Such a boring series. The best thing that I can say about that steaming pile of digital crap is that it spawned TF and Portal, which are both a hundred times better than the source material. Deus Ex wins by defaultMoldOnHold

Half-Life didn't spawn TF nor Portal. TF began as a mod on quake and Portal was made by the people behind Narbacular Drop, nothing to do with Half-Life.

#21 Posted by freedomfreak (38140 posts) -

Half Life.

Although I wubz Deux Ex.

#22 Posted by mems_1224 (45717 posts) -
deus ex easily. half life is overrated as f***
#23 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12184 posts) -
Half-Life. The only Deus Ex game I've been able to get into is Human Revolution.
#24 Posted by cyborg100000 (2839 posts) -

Half Life. I prefer the setting, the story, the characters, the enemies, the way it's told and it's no where near as clunky. I love Deus Ex though.

#25 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Can I say both? Yeah both. Both are excellent groundbreaking series and Invisible War was a huge let down, and so were the HL Episodes.
#26 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

I'll go with this option.

Deus Ex + Human Revolution = Half Life 1/2 + Episode 1/2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Invisible Wars

#27 Posted by Ravenshout (1210 posts) -

Deus Ex.

Simply because of the first game.

Half-Life series, just like everything Valve has made, is overrated.

#28 Posted by drinkerofjuice (3154 posts) -
I'd rather play Human Revolution again than any other Half Life game. Half Life 2's lousy pacing and gunplay makes it nearly impossible to replay the game over again. Half Life 1 doesn't have similar issues, but the game has aged poorly. Hell, I'd rather play through the original Deus Ex than HL2 again, and that game has aged just as badly as the original Half Life.
#29 Posted by PS2_ROCKS (4679 posts) -

Deus Ex.

Ravenshout
Valve makes really good games. They really aren't overrated at all. I have to go for Half Life on this one. HL1 and HL2 were a couple of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had.
#30 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7689 posts) -
As a series? Half-Life simply because Invisible war exists.
#31 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

Deus Ex.

PS2_ROCKS

Valve makes really good games. They really aren't overrated at all. I have to go for Half Life on this one. HL1 and HL2 were a couple of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had.

HL2 is probably their most overrated game though. Crappy ai, bad gunplay, boring vechicle sections, it's really just not a great game.

#32 Posted by jg4xchamp (46604 posts) -

I'd rather play Human Revolution again than any other Half Life game. Half Life 2's lousy pacing and gunplay makes it nearly impossible to replay the game over again. Half Life 1 doesn't have similar issues, but the game has aged poorly. Hell, I'd rather play through the original Deus Ex than HL2 again, and that game has aged just as badly as the original Half Life.drinkerofjuice
This is more like Nyquil vs Tylenol Extra Strength

#33 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

[QUOTE="PS2_ROCKS"][QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

Deus Ex.

cain006

HL2 is probably their most overrated game though. Crappy ai, bad gunplay, boring vechicle sections, it's really just not a great game.

No, it really is a great game.
#34 Posted by arto1223 (4404 posts) -

While Deus Ex (original) is one of my favorite games of all time, the Half-Life series is better in my opinion. Both HL1 and HL2 are just so good and the episodes were great too. DE had Ivisible War which was meh and HR was actually pretty good but can't hold a candle to any of the HL games for me.

#35 Posted by brickdoctor (9746 posts) -

As a franchise: Half Life >>> Deus Ex

As just a game: Deus Ex > Half Life 1

#36 Posted by Socijalisticka (1607 posts) -

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Oh and to those who think HL is overrated; HL laid the groundwork for all modern-era gaming, including Deus Ex.

#37 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Socijalisticka

....so which one is better?

#38 Posted by Socijalisticka (1607 posts) -

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

Goyoshi12

They're not even of the same genre. How am I to compare the mechanics of the two?

#39 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

Socijalisticka

They're not even of the same genre. How am I to compare the mechanics of the two?

We're not comparing, we're saying which one is better. Like the overall quality.

Doesn't matter which genre they're in, quality is universal.

#40 Posted by Socijalisticka (1607 posts) -

[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Goyoshi12

We're not comparing, we're saying which one is better. Like the overall quality.

Doesn't matter which genre they're in, quality is universal.

My point stands. They're both exceptional games, with HL having the bigger impact of the two.

#41 Posted by biggest_loser (23980 posts) -
As an individual game and a series I prefer Half-Life but its futile comparing them. They're completely different games, regardless of the first person perspective.
#42 Posted by 1q3er5 (759 posts) -
sorry but system shock 2 was better than deus ex. And actually system shock 2 was better than half life aswell!
#43 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3264 posts) -

half life if a borefest, never understood the appeal

#44 Posted by StealthSting (6915 posts) -

Better series? Um......

I'd go with Halflife as a series, but... hell... whatever,

Deus Ex it is.

#45 Posted by Gamingcucumber (5608 posts) -
Deus Ex 1 and 3 has invoked much more feelings than the Half-Life games ever did. They are superb fps games with an amazing setting and atmosphere but in terms of actually getting you involved in the world and story wise Deus Ex is lightyears ahead. Half-Life has been stomping on the same spot since the release of the original HL2
#46 Posted by dracolich55 (2343 posts) -
Deus Ex, also the greatest game ever made. inb4 texasgoldrush
#47 Posted by OB-47 (10912 posts) -

Half Life as a franchise. But Deus Ex ain't no slouch.

#48 Posted by Ravenshout (1210 posts) -

Valve has made some great games, but their games aren't super-replayable and obviously very designed.

Valve's level design is admirable, but again, games like Portal and Portal 2 are as overrated as Justin Bieber.

Valve has only made one real franchise that is the HL series.

I do not consider Portal and L4D franchises as real, fully-fledged games.

They are simply not big and varied enough.

#49 Posted by SciFiRPGfan (694 posts) -

I am going with Deus Ex series. Half - Lifes as games might have been more successful in gaming world, but already when I played HL2 I knew that pure shooters are not gonna cut it for me anymore. They are good games, but I missed the option to talk to NPCs and ask the hell out of them about what was going on and also some background leveling mechanics too much. So one more vote for DE from me.

#50 Posted by SAGE_OF_FIRE (15587 posts) -
DE1 is the best of all the games but HL is the better series.