Half LIfe 2: Gmod vs Crysis: Sandbox

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by alberth123123 (784 posts) -
I love Gmod
#2 Posted by Wasdie (49626 posts) -
GMod is fun but is not a full editor. Sandbox is both a fun thing and a full editor. I can't wait to make maps with it.
#3 Posted by Zeliard9 (6030 posts) -

GMod is fun but is not a full editor. Sandbox is both a fun thing and a full editor. I can't wait to make maps with it.Wasdie

Someone should make a Haze/nectar mod for Crysis, it'll end up both looking and playing better than the actual Haze. The mod community should also make a dinosaur mod and put Turok to shame. :P

#4 Posted by alberth123123 (784 posts) -
no votes for sandbox yet? :cry:
#5 Posted by dackchaar (3668 posts) -
Well GMOD is just for fun, likebuilding things and blowing things up, Sanbox is more about making actual game types and maps.
#6 Posted by BobHipJames (3126 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]GMod is fun but is not a full editor. Sandbox is both a fun thing and a full editor. I can't wait to make maps with it.Zeliard9

Someone should make a Haze/nectar mod for Crysis, it'll end up both looking and playing better than the actual Haze. The mod community should also make a dinosaur mod and put Turok to shame. :P

Hahahaha.

Hey, I can't argue that. I've played some amazing mods thus far. The modders definitely know what the people want moreso than....say, Bethesda.

I gotta say, Sandbox wins. Garry's Mod is the single most amazing photo creator on the planet. I have never....literally flown in a buggy with balloons attached to it before.

Still, Sandbox creates levels and it will be the most powerful mod-creating tool available to anyone....plus, it will be of great utility to developers. As a toolset, Sandbox is pretty damn impressive, probably the best map editor created thus far. Garry's mod isn't a map editor...it's a mod. It's a gizmo-contraption game creator thingamajig....I've seen moving fortresses and robots created out of scrap metal, boxes, dumpsters, etc in Garry's mod....and it's amazing. But Sandbox is legit....you make it, you play it, as they say.

#7 Posted by bignice12 (2124 posts) -
SE2 so far. You can screw around if you want and edit in real time. The editor alone is going to add tons and tons of replayability to Crysis.
#8 Posted by cobrax25 (9649 posts) -

I havent had much time with sandbox 2.0 yet...so I will get back to you...

but I have made a map..and spawned a atack chopper in there...which I played around with for a long time...and destroyed many other things.

#9 Posted by PS2_ROCKS (4679 posts) -
You can't really compare them. G Mod is for like screweing around and having fun while Sandbox is more for like actually doing something productive.
#10 Posted by cobrax25 (9649 posts) -

You can't really compare them. G Mod is for like screweing around and having fun while Sandbox is more for like actually doing something productive.PS2_ROCKS

you can deffinetly screw around in sandbox...you can jump into the map whenever you like...so just spawn enemies whereever you want....and start going crazy.

#11 Posted by Zeliard9 (6030 posts) -
The Sandbox editor is the ultimate screw-around tool, especially since it doesn't let up on any of the physics or environment destruction. Hell, you can even set it to very high settings. I was messing with it earlier and spawned like 50 north koreans, and had fun just throwing them into each other and into various objects.
#12 Posted by GraysonNIN (8 posts) -
I prefer sandbox because after a while garrys mod gets a little boring while sandbox editor lets me create levels of my own design to be creative and have fun in a gamer perspective not just screwing around
#13 Posted by dxmcat (1121 posts) -

uh. pc forum? heh

#14 Posted by SparkyProtocol (7680 posts) -
I can not deside and I have only played Gmod. You should've made a Arma2 vs Crysis editor thread
#15 Posted by Einhanderkiller (13250 posts) -
In terms of features, CryENGINE 2's Sandbox. But if you want to have fun, Garry's Mod has tons of it in multiplayer servers. It's a lot of fun building things with other people.
#16 Posted by SparkyProtocol (7680 posts) -

In terms of features, CryENGINE 2's Sandbox. But if you want to have fun, Garry's Mod has tons of it in multiplayer servers. It's a lot of fun building things with other people.Einhanderkiller
100 headcrap zombies vs 50 civil protection officers. :)

#17 Posted by SparkyProtocol (7680 posts) -
GMod is fun but is not a full editor. Sandbox is both a fun thing and a full editor. I can't wait to make maps with it.Wasdie
They don't have a SDK yet?
#18 Posted by zero_snake99 (3478 posts) -
GMod. The overall program of GMod isn't a map maker, but you can export your current map layout (with all the items and such) to Valve Hammer Editor and create a map just as easily. It's a lot more fun since it has the grav gun and such =P.
#19 Posted by SAGE_OF_FIRE (15587 posts) -
Zombie thread.
#20 Posted by SparkyProtocol (7680 posts) -
Zombie thread. SAGE_OF_FIRE
Huh?
#21 Posted by SAGE_OF_FIRE (15587 posts) -
[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]Zombie thread. SparkyProtocol
Huh?

Oct 26, 2007 9:06 pm ET
#22 Posted by SparkyProtocol (7680 posts) -
[QUOTE="SparkyProtocol"][QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]Zombie thread. SAGE_OF_FIRE
Huh?

Oct 26, 2007 9:06 pm ET

Hwill Hwheaton? On topic though, how does the rain look with teh ub3r Cry Engine 2.0?
#23 Posted by -GeordiLaForge- (7148 posts) -
Neither game really had the fun factor that I was expecting, so I haven't tried either editor...
#24 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12193 posts) -

Garry's Mod isn't Half-Life 2's editing tool. Really, you should be comparing CryEngine Sandbox to Hammer (or the entire Source SDK).

#25 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Completely different.... One is a sandbox game to play with friends - construction or role playing. The other is a development tool.
#26 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
Oh, good, this is old. I thought BobHipJames had come back for a second...
#27 Posted by adamosmaki (9449 posts) -

i recently started using sandbox and i'm impressed. I prefer it from gmod ( although i only tried gmod 9 and not 10)