GTA V will sell at least 30-million units!

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkoHAzjnUs

The video has had over 28 million views thus far.

It will sell a bit more than that since not all potential customers/gamers watch trailers.

#2 Posted by lundy86_4 (44195 posts) -

What if people watched the trailer 4-5 times? Only 6 million sales confirmed :(

#3 Posted by Cheleman (7865 posts) -

doubt it. GTA has been gone for a long time.

#4 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
Yes, not counting people watching it more than once, right? Yes, all those people will buy it, right? Yes, this thread is good, right?
#5 Posted by JohnF111 (14107 posts) -

GTA 5 will sell well?

Well well guys we're honored to have a real life prophet with us today, enjoy your time and treasure the memory because it... Scratch that, another will come by shortly saying something very similar.

#6 Posted by freedomfreak (43048 posts) -
Could be. Didn't IV sold like 25 million units?
#7 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

Yes, not counting people watching it more than once, right? Yes, all those people will buy it, right? Yes, this thread is good, right? Badosh
The recent Mist of Pandaria Opening has about 9-10million views, and guess what? WoW has about 10million subscribers!

#8 Posted by Jebus213 (8920 posts) -
"units" *facepalm*
#9 Posted by GreenGoblin2099 (16988 posts) -

You should definitely work for R*...

Also, I didn't get excited with the trailer, characters look uniteresting TBH.

#10 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

GTA 5 will sell well?

Well well guys we're honored to have a real live prophet with us today, enjoy your time and treasure the memory because it... Scratch that, another will come by shortly saying something very similar.

JohnF111

What I am trying to emphasize here is that the You Tube view count of a game's official trailer can be used to infer potential sale number.

#11 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

Guessing sales over view count for a video is pretty dumb. Still, it should sell a lot.

#12 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

"units" *facepalm*Jebus213
Okay, copies.

#13 Posted by JohnF111 (14107 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]

GTA 5 will sell well?

Well well guys we're honored to have a real live prophet with us today, enjoy your time and treasure the memory because it... Scratch that, another will come by shortly saying something very similar.

Ravenshout

What I am trying to emphasize here is that the You Tube view count of a game's official trailer can be used to infer potential sale number.

No it can't.
#14 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
The recent Mist of Pandaria Opening has about 9-10million views, and guess what? WoW has about 10million subscribers!Ravenshout
I play WoW. I know tons of people who play WoW. Many of those people have never seen that opening. Besides, one anecdotal piece of evidence doesn't help your case. Gangnam Style has 700,000,000 views, does that mean it's sold 700,000,000 singles? My argument is solid, right?
#15 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]

GTA 5 will sell well?

JohnF111

No it can't.

It can, even if it's not accurate. A game whose official trailer view count doesn't exceed 10millions isn't likely going to sell more than that.

Mass Effect has never had any trailer exceeding or even reaching 10million view count, and guess what? None of the Mass Effect games has sold 10million copies! (It's my favorite series this gen, not trying to bash it)

#16 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

I say it'll sell more than one copy.

I dare say it might even sell more than...wait for it...two copies.

#17 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]The recent Mist of Pandaria Opening has about 9-10million views, and guess what? WoW has about 10million subscribers!Badosh
I play WoW. I know tons of people who play WoW. Many of those people have never seen that opening. Besides, one anecdotal piece of evidence doesn't help your case. Gangnam Style has 700,000,000 views, does that mean it's sold 700,000,000 singles? My argument is solid, right?

The method of inference doesn't work for songs. Songs can be obtained or downloaded easily, even straight from YouTube, whereas in the case of games, it's harder to do so.

#18 Posted by GreenGoblin2099 (16988 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="Ravenshout"] What I am trying to emphasize here is that the You Tube view count of a game's official trailer can be used to infer potential sale number.

Ravenshout

No it can't.

It can, even if it's not accurate. A game whose official trailer view count doesn't exceed 10millions isn't likely going to sell more than that.

Mass Effect has never had any trailer exceeding or even reaching 10million view count, and guess what? None of the Mass Effect games has sold 10million copies! (It's my favorite series this gen, not trying to bash it)

facepalm

#20 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
Songs can be obtained or downloaded easily, even straight from YouTube, whereas in the case of games, it's harder to do so.Ravenshout
*Click Steam* *Search Game* *Buy Game* *Game downloads* What's hard about downloading games?
#21 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

Wait and see. It'll be a huge number, that is for sure.

Gonna wait for the PC version. It does suck that consolites are getting the game first. They should be given the lowest priority.

#22 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -

I say it'll sell more than one copy.

I dare say it might even sell more than....two copies.

Goyoshi12
*gasp* *double gasp*
#23 Posted by getyeryayasout (8409 posts) -
That's kind of a strange way to come to the 30 M conclusion, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it sell that well across all platforms. Espesially once it comes out for the WiiU. I know it's a day one buy for me, not sure if PS3 or 360 version though.
#24 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"] Songs can be obtained or downloaded easily, even straight from YouTube, whereas in the case of games, it's harder to do so.Badosh
*Click Steam* *Search Game* *Buy Game* *Game downloads* What's hard about downloading games?

Okay, to use Gangnam style again, it has about 700m views;but you know what? Most of those viewers have probably downloaded the song straight from the video.

YOU CANNOT DOWNLOAD A GAME FROM ITS OFFICIAL VIDEO!

SO? You have either download it digitally or buy it at a retailer!

#25 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
Most of those viewers have probably downloaded the song straight from the video.Ravenshout
Oh so here it is. Did you ever think that maybe those people watching the video...wait for it... just wanted to watch the video? They had no intention of buying the game.
#26 Posted by JohnnyCageMK (4365 posts) -

Wait and see. It'll be a huge number, that is for sure.

Gonna wait for the PC version. It does suck that consolites are getting the game first. They should be given the lowest priority.

GamerwillzPS

Why? Console gamers actually buy games. All hermits buy are Blizzard games and just steal everything else.

#27 Posted by lundy86_4 (44195 posts) -

Okay, to use Gangnam style again, it has about 700m views;but you know what? Most of those viewers have probably downloaded the song straight from the video.

Ravenshout

Downloading from Steam is drasticfally easier than downloading an MP3/audio file from Youtube. Please, explain how that is done.

#28 Posted by GreenGoblin2099 (16988 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]Okay, to use Gangnam style again, it has about 700m views;but you know what? Most of those viewers have probably downloaded the song straight from the video.

lundy86_4

Downloading from Steam is drasticfally easier than downloading an MP3/audio file from Youtube. Please, explain how that is done.

I think his point is... you can pirate a song from its video, but you can't pirate a videogame the same way.

Still stupid point.

#29 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"] Most of those viewers have probably downloaded the song straight from the video.Badosh
Oh so here it is. Did you ever think that maybe those people watching the video...wait for it... just wanted to watch the video? They had no intention of buying the game.

MOST OF THEM HAD, I GUESS.

BUT THEY CAN'T DOWNLOAD THE GAME FROM THE VIDEO! In the case of Gangnam style, most of the viewers could just download the song using a downloader straight from the video if they liked it. They did not have to buy the song legally!

But in the case of a game, if you like what you see, then you'll have to buy the game in order the experience it.

#30 Posted by lundy86_4 (44195 posts) -

I think his point is... you can pirate a song from its video, but you can't pirate a videogame the same way.

Still stupid point.

GreenGoblin2099

Astronomically so.

#31 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
But in the case of a game, if you like what you see, then you'll have to buy the game in order the experience it.Ravenshout
Well, that's not true. Even still, you guess most of them want to buy the game, but not all do, but you're logic is flawed.
#32 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Ravenshout

You say that like people WANT to download Gangnam Style.

#33 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]But in the case of a game, if you like what you see, then you'll have to buy the game in order the experience it.Badosh
Well, that's not true. Even still, you guess most of them want to buy the game, but not all do, but you're logic is flawed.

Then explain why most pre-release videos related to COD, GTA, WOW have more viewers than less popular series. Because there more potential buyers.

#34 Posted by Sushiglutton (5496 posts) -
Confirmed: Ravenshout is Pacthers alias on SW!
#35 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

Confirmed: Ravenshout is Pacthers alias on SW!Sushiglutton
Many of the Skyrim-related videos on You Tube wouldn't have gone viral had Skyrim not sold millions.

#36 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
Then explain why most pre-release videos related to COD, GTA, WOW have more viewers than less popular series. Because there more potential buyers.Ravenshout
Here Amnesia should have sold 3 million+, right? Why did it only reach 1 million in September then?
#37 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

Confirmed: Ravenshout is Pacthers alias on SW!Sushiglutton
Well, by inferencing from You Tube view count of any official pre-release videos of a game, you can roughly surmise the anticipation level for the game.

#38 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"] Then explain why most pre-release videos related to COD, GTA, WOW have more viewers than less popular series. Because there more potential buyers.Badosh
Here Amnesia should have sold 3 million+, right? Why did it only reach 1 million in September then?

That's still 1/3 of the view count, which means it sold a ton. It could have sold more if the official trailer had more viewers.

More viewers=more potential buyers.

#39 Posted by GreenGoblin2099 (16988 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"] Then explain why most pre-release videos related to COD, GTA, WOW have more viewers than less popular series. Because there more potential buyers.Badosh

Man, he won't be able to sleep after that... you bastard!! :o

#40 Posted by Sushiglutton (5496 posts) -

[QUOTE="Badosh"][QUOTE="Ravenshout"] Then explain why most pre-release videos related to COD, GTA, WOW have more viewers than less popular series. Because there more potential buyers.Ravenshout

That's still 1/3 of the view count, which means it sold a ton. It could have sold more if the official trailer had more viewers.

Wow that's a fantastic argument. I think Badosh will be totally confused now (I know I am :lol: ).

#41 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -

Ravenshout
Well, based off of my scientific research. GTA5 will only sell around 9 million. If it gets more views, it may reach 10.
#42 Posted by BPoole96 (22813 posts) -

Rockstar must be charging people $60 to watch the video

#43 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"]That's still 1/3 of the view count, which means it sold a ton. It could have sold more if the official trailer had more viewers.

Badosh

Well, based off of my scientific research. GTA5 will only sell around 9 million. If it gets more views, it may reach 10.

The thing is, people are generally more enthusiastic about a mainstream title like GTA5 as it is new installment of a revered and well-known franchise, whereas most people who watched the Amnesia video probably watched only to find out how scary the game could be.

You have to remember, Amnesia is a niche game.

#44 Posted by youngmurk911 (3884 posts) -

GTA 5 will sell well?

Well well guys we're honored to have a real life prophet with us today, enjoy your time and treasure the memory because it... Scratch that, another will come by shortly saying something very similar.

JohnF111
lol
#45 Posted by PinnacleGamingP (5120 posts) -
i wonder if the load times and the other issues with the 360 version will happen again. oh wait its probabl worse already announced multiple discs
#46 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
The thing is, people are generally more enthusiastic about a mainstream title like GTA5 as it is new installment of a revered and well-known franchise, whereas most people who watched the Amnesia video probably watched only to find out how scary the game could be.

Ravenshout
Another example Gears of War (Bro Mainstream Game It has 10 million views, and only sold around 6 million Another example, Duke Nukem "Everyone wanted to try it I doubt it sold more than 1 million. Why do your excuses not add up?
#47 Posted by Cheleman (7865 posts) -

Rockstar must be charging people $60 to watch the video

BPoole96

:lol: @ your siggy, bro.

#48 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"] The thing is, people are generally more enthusiastic about a mainstream title like GTA5 as it is new installment of a revered and well-known franchise, whereas most people who watched the Amnesia video probably watched only to find out how scary the game could be.

Badosh

Another example Gears of War (Bro Mainstream Game It has 10 million views, and only sold around 6 million Another example, Duke Nukem "Everyone wanted to try it I doubt it sold more than 1 million. Why do your excuses not add up?

The Diablo 3 BlackSoulstone cinematic has about few million views, and the game sold in excess of 10million copies.

I think I haven't been articulating my thoughts regarding the relationship between YouTube view count and potential sale adequately. I'll return this weekend.

#49 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
Wow that's a fantastic argument. I think Badosh will be totally confused now (I know I am :lol: ).Sushiglutton
I am quite confused, but then again he didn't make sense from the start.
#50 Posted by Ravenshout (1265 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ravenshout"] The thing is, people are generally more enthusiastic about a mainstream title like GTA5 as it is new installment of a revered and well-known franchise, whereas most people who watched the Amnesia video probably watched only to find out how scary the game could be.

Badosh

Gears of Wars reeks of Cliffy B.