GTA V Torrent Tricks "Thousands" of PC Gamers

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LordOfPoms (1086 posts) -

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/23/4947874/gta-5-pc-malware-drop-tricks-thousands

A PC download claiming to be a bootleg version of Grand Theft Auto 5 has reportedly fooled thousands of gamers, who have downloaded the file only to find it is packed with junk and malware.

According to WCCFTech the fake 18GB file has infested torrent sites over the last few days, and found plenty of willing victims. Grand Theft Auto 5 launched last month with record-breaking sales and enthusiastic reviews, but the game is only available for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. A PC version has not been announced but is widely expected to arrive some time next year.

Search terms for a Grand Theft Auto 5 PC download place the rogue file high in listings, although multiple news reports and warnings are now pushing them down. Conflicting reports have emerged on the nature of the files, with some stating that they do not place viruses on PCs, but seek payment via a form.

The fact this doesn't happen more often kind of surprises me.

#2 Posted by clyde46 (44906 posts) -

I have no sympathy.

#3 Edited by Vatusus (4429 posts) -

lol the desperation of pc gamers

#4 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Good god. It should be illegal to be this stupid.

I wish I'd thought of this shenanigan myself, there are so many morons out there.

#5 Posted by lundy86_4 (43009 posts) -

lulz. These guys were dumb as bricks. I'd struggle to call them "PC gamers."

#6 Posted by clyde46 (44906 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

Yes, lets ignore all the console lot that pirated GTA5 before it was even released....

#7 Posted by freedomfreak (39149 posts) -

Ouch.

#8 Edited by lundy86_4 (43009 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Vatusus said:

Yes, lets ignore all the console lot that pirated GTA5 before it was even released....

#9 Posted by lostrib (34424 posts) -

God damn people are stupid

#10 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Vatusus said:

And? Doesn't negate the stupidity and desperation of hermits in this situation.

#11 Posted by SirSlimyScott (266 posts) -
#12 Posted by Heil68 (43450 posts) -

That's funny. Poor hermits, desperate for quality games to play. :(

#13 Posted by lundy86_4 (43009 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

@clyde46 said:

@Vatusus said:

And? Doesn't negate the stupidity and desperation of hermits in this situation.

I'm not sure that was insinuated. It's hard to ignore it, when you're posting in a thread about it.

#14 Posted by Vatusus (4429 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Vatusus said:

At least they pirated the real deal

#15 Edited by clyde46 (44906 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

@clyde46 said:

@Vatusus said:

So you are agreeing with piracy, nice to know scumbag.

#16 Edited by lundy86_4 (43009 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

@clyde46 said:

@Vatusus said:

I would not be surprised if there were fake uploads. There's always that d*ck.

#17 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

They really should've known better.

#18 Edited by lawlessx (46550 posts) -

this sort of thing happens alot of movies. (ex: people had downloads for toy story 3 years before it was even announced)

#19 Posted by waltefmoney (18030 posts) -

The master race proving their intellectual superiority.

#20 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12193 posts) -

I find it hard to believe that people are actually capable of being that stupid.

#21 Edited by glez13 (8672 posts) -

LOL

Funny stuff and well deserved.

#22 Posted by MonsieurX (29502 posts) -

Fooled thousand of idiots,I'm almost surprised

#23 Edited by Vatusus (4429 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Vatusus said:

@clyde46 said:

@Vatusus said:

Jeez, are you dumb... In what part of my comment did you take I was agreeing with piracy?

I'll explain to you since you dont have the brain for it. I was saying pc gamers were dumber for downloading a torrent of a game not even announced for the platform. It was obvious the torrent was fake and only stupid people would fall for it. In no place of my comment did I agreed with piracy

now move on before you embarass yourself even more

#24 Posted by lostrib (34424 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Really? because I have plenty to play

#25 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

This is common with high profile releases, and not limited only to games.

Still, worth a few laughs.

#26 Edited by clyde46 (44906 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

@clyde46 said:

@Vatusus said:

@clyde46 said:

@Vatusus said:

Jeez, are you dumb... In what part of my comment did you take I was agreeing with piracy?

I'll explain to you since you dont have the brain for it. I was saying pc gamers were dumber for downloading a torrent of a game not even announced for the platform. It was obvious the torrent was fake and only stupid people would fall for it. In no place of my comment did I agreed with piracy

Were they stupid? Yes, do they deserve all that malware? Yes. However your accustion that PC gamers are "dumb" for downloading it doesn't fly. They fact they are PC gamers is irrelevant. They could of been console users, I'm pretty sure there was fake torrents for the console versions and yet you continue to single out PC gamers. Do you feel threatened? Every post I see from you has a negitive spin regarding PC gaming.

#27 Posted by g0ddyX (3906 posts) -

Am sure console gamers are using PC's to play and download not just PC games but other pirated 360, PS3 and not to mention Wii emulation which is better on the PC.

#28 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13420 posts) -

lol, dumbasses.

#29 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (921 posts) -

I thought this would be appropriate.

#30 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10838 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Heil68 said:

Really? because I have plenty to play

Why did you take the bait? You're better than this.

#31 Posted by KungfuKitten (20852 posts) -

Wow that is like 0.01 per-mille of PC gamers.

#32 Posted by Motokid6 (5239 posts) -

So a few console fanboys speek for all pc gamers everywhere. Thats... good to know.

#33 Posted by ManInFlames-77 (291 posts) -

lolz, I thought teh master race was supposed to be intelligent.

#34 Posted by Sweenix (5397 posts) -

inb4 pc gamers make a petition to ban torrents

#35 Posted by MonsieurX (29502 posts) -

lolz, I thought teh master race was supposed to be intelligent.

Because those idiots represent all the PC gamers

#36 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (759 posts) -

I guess hermits aren't as smart as I thought.. Jk but they deserved that. Maybe they should go actually buy their games.

#37 Posted by spike6958 (4701 posts) -

This is why they've not released it on PC. When thousands of people try to download a illegal torrent of your game, why would you waste your time and money giving them a port of it.

#38 Posted by foxhound_fox (87658 posts) -

Most PC gamers and pirates aren't this dumb. These are probably casual users who don't own consoles.

#39 Edited by Locutus_Picard (3979 posts) -

Hermits confirmed to be too poor to buy anti-virus software or too stupid to download a free one.

#40 Edited by Vatusus (4429 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Vatusus said:

@clyde46 said:

@Vatusus said:

@clyde46 said:

@Vatusus said:

Were they stupid? Yes, do they deserve all that malware? Yes. However your accustion that PC gamers are "dumb" for downloading it doesn't fly. They fact they are PC gamers is irrelevant. They could of been console users, I'm pretty sure there was fake torrents for the console versions and yet you continue to single out PC gamers. Do you feel threatened? Every post I see from you has a negitive spin regarding PC gaming.

I dont hate PC gaming. In fact I play PC (check my steam account in case you dont believe me - Vatusus - be my guest). I just think hermits are full of shit

#41 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Lol. Morons. Morons for torrenting the game in general, and morons for even thinking that there is a PC version, which would be available on torrent sites. Seriously, pirates. At least wait until the game EXISTS before downloading obviously fake torrents full of viruses.

#42 Posted by TruthArisen (385 posts) -

That's pretty darn funny. And deserving.

#43 Posted by KellyKelly (377 posts) -

Haha poor Hermits, take it

#44 Edited by KellyKelly (377 posts) -

Lol. Morons. Morons for torrenting the game in general, and morons for even thinking that there is a PC version, which would be available on torrent sites. Seriously, pirates. At least wait until the game EXISTS before downloading obviously fake torrents full of viruses.

Hermits are desperate for GTA V, after months of begging, they still don't get anything

#45 Edited by GodspellWH (391 posts) -

@Vatusus: ok so around 10 games that can be played with on old ass pcs and look at that play time

#46 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

Hermits are desperate for GTA V, after months of begging, they still don't get anything

Oh shut the hell up, Davekeeh.

#47 Posted by navyguy21 (12746 posts) -

lol, well deserved :P

#48 Edited by Whiteblade999 (5536 posts) -

Lol this is awesome. Who can possibly be this stupid?

#49 Posted by Peredith (2308 posts) -

I don't think it was stupidity, more of hope and desperation

#50 Posted by Bruin1986 (1231 posts) -

Good, I sincerely wish that those illegal download websites were loaded to the brim with viruses and spyware.

You commit a crime, you should be punished.