GTA V should have scored an 8

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by seanmcloughlin (37514 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Because R* are smart and released the Online after so its mediocrity wouldnt bring down the score of the core main game

So sp alone is worth a good score but giving the buyer a whole other mode should hurt the score? Nice logic!

No,I didn't say that. I said R* were smart to exploit the system by releasing it later because they knew no one was gonna wait for the online to release before reviewing the biggest game of the year.

Release them together and the MP would have dragged down the score

#52 Edited by Cranler (7007 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Because R* are smart and released the Online after so its mediocrity wouldnt bring down the score of the core main game

So sp alone is worth a good score but giving the buyer a whole other mode should hurt the score? Nice logic!

Name me some games that have great mp and sp in one package. Most games that have a solid sp , have a weak mp(and vice versa). Any reviewer with half a brain takes this into consideration when scoring.

Otherwise games like TLOU, Tombraider, FC 3 would have much lower scores.

So, you're saying as a complete package, that the reviewers should ignore a substandard MP mode, and rate solely on the SP? As for those games mentioned, we don't know if the MP components factored into those scores, heavily.

I'm saying reviewers take into consideration the entire package and the fact that games that offer both modes are usually weak in one. TLOU has a 95 meta, it's mp is weaksauce plain and simple. If you wanted to rate the mp and sp individually then it would be a 10 for sp and a 6 for mp but the reviewers obviously saw the mp as a bonus to the sp.

If we start taking lots of points off for sp games having weak mp then we would need to start penalizing games like Skyrim for having no mp.

Just Cause 2 is sp only. Imagine if JC 2 sp was just as good as GTA V. Should JC 2 deserve a higher score since it has less content to criticise?

#53 Edited by Cranler (7007 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

No,I didn't say that. I said R* were smart to exploit the system by releasing it later because they knew no one was gonna wait for the online to release before reviewing the biggest game of the year.

The biggest complaints I see about the mp was the initial issues with the servers being overwhelmed. If mp was available at launch there would have been many people just playing sp so the servers wouldnt have been so overburdened.

Explain why so many great sp games with bad mp get great scores.

A sp only game thats equally as good GTA V's sp should deserve a better score?

#54 Edited by mems_1224 (44745 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Well if they would have launched with multiplayer it probably wouldn't have worked right for 3 weeks anyways. Im sure that factored into when they released it more than review scores did.

#55 Posted by lundy86_4 (41635 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

Name me some games that have great mp and sp in one package. Most games that have a solid sp , have a weak mp(and vice versa). Any reviewer with half a brain takes this into consideration when scoring.

So, you're saying as a complete package, that the reviewers should ignore a substandard MP mode, and rate solely on the SP? As for those games mentioned, we don't know if the MP components factored into those scores, heavily.

I'm saying reviewers take into consideration the entire package and the fact that games that offer both modes are usually weak in one. TLOU has a 95 meta, it's mp is weaksauce plain and simple. If you wanted to rate the mp and sp individually then it would be a 10 for sp and a 6 for mp but the reviewers obviously saw the mp as a bonus to the sp.

If we start taking lots of points off for sp games having weak mp then we would need to start penalizing games like Skyrim for having no mp.

Just Cause 2 is sp only. Imagine if JC 2 sp was just as good as GTA V. Should JC 2 deserve a higher score since it has less content to criticise?

I'm not seeing how this impacts GTAV, as the MP was released later.

#56 Posted by Cranler (7007 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

I'm not seeing how this impacts GTAV, as the MP was released later.

I see how it impacts the quote I was replying to.

#57 Posted by lundy86_4 (41635 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Actually, that was a reply to my post, so nice try. I addressed your initial post to sean, which stemmed another conversation.

#58 Edited by Cranler (7007 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Actually, that was a reply to my post, so nice try. I addressed your initial post to sean, which stemmed another conversation.

Umm? I know it was your post that I was replying to. Actually my post has everything to do with the original topic since many games with great sp and lackluster mp get great scores.

#59 Posted by lundy86_4 (41635 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

Umm? I know it was your post that I was replying to. Actually my post has everything to do with the original topic since many games with great sp and lackluster mp get great scores.

So, how is "I see how it impacts the quote I was replying to" a response to my post?

#60 Edited by Cranler (7007 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@Cranler said:

So, how is "I see how it impacts the quote I was replying to" a response to my post?

The quote was directed at what you said. If half of TLOU's score was based on mp then it wouldnt have a 95 meta, would it? Its obvious how little mp factored into the scoring of that game. It was looked at as a bonus. Just like Battlefield sp should be looked at as a bonus.

#61 Edited by Omega-316 (690 posts) -

@anab0lic said:

based on the single player alone id score it a 5-6.

Utterly horrible controls, dull mind numbingly easy combat, story and chars i didnt really care for, the worst music of any gta game and should have been released on next gen consoles as visually it looks and runs terrible at times.

Hipster alert.

GTAV was perfection. Deal with it.

#62 Edited by Omega-316 (690 posts) -

It gets special treatment because Rockstar paid Gamespot money.

If they paid GS then it would have got a 10. Not a 9 because the game is anti-female.....cough...cough...worst reviewer ever....cough.

#63 Posted by MW2ismygame (2176 posts) -

I will never know why people give a flying **** about some number that will not effect anything were it different.

#64 Posted by sukraj (20586 posts) -

@anab0lic said:

based on the single player alone id score it a 5-6.

Utterly horrible controls, dull mind numbingly easy combat, story and chars i didnt really care for, the worst music of any gta game and should have been released on next gen consoles as visually it looks and runs terrible at times.

Hipster alert.

GTAV was perfection. Deal with it.

This

#65 Posted by Vatusus (3774 posts) -

The SP portion of the game singly gives the game an 9. The MP is just a bonus. Are you really making this question?

#66 Posted by danabo (2474 posts) -

Happy to see some people recognise GTAV: Golf Simulator for what it is, broken and glitchier than a Bethesda game. It also says online multiplayer/co-op 2-16 players on the box. MP was not some free addition, it was advertised as coming with the game that you paid for, and reviews should have taken that into account.

#67 Edited by Puckhog04 (22568 posts) -

I thought the game was underwhelming overall. Online MP is a glitchy piece of crap and single player is just more of the same. Maybe I'm becoming Jaded...Idk.

#68 Edited by Lucianu (9214 posts) -

I thought the game was underwhelming overall. Online MP is a glitchy piece of crap and single player is just more of the same. Maybe I'm becoming Jaded...Idk.

How can you not love Trevor?

#69 Posted by humpmasterflex (354 posts) -

Look at the damage control from all the peasant sheep. I own the game on ps3 and it is MEDIOCRE at best. Online releasing late was a ploy simply to avoid mediocre reviews as the game would be reviewed as a whole. They knew their online was crap from the get go. Deal with it

#70 Edited by cainetao11 (14357 posts) -

@joel_c17 said:

GTA V single played received a 9 while the online scored a 7 - why does this game get the luxury of having the online and single player reviewed separately? Dont get me wrong - i loved the game but i find it unfair that it gets special treatment because of the way it was released whereas every other game gets reviewed as a package.

What are your thoughts?

How could the online be reviewed with the SP? It wasn't up yet.

#71 Posted by fusionhunter (1995 posts) -

Then write up your own review and stop crying about someone else's experience.

#72 Edited by Cranler (7007 posts) -

@humpmasterflex said:

Look at the damage control from all the peasant sheep. I own the game on ps3 and it is MEDIOCRE at best. Online releasing late was a ploy simply to avoid mediocre reviews as the game would be reviewed as a whole. They knew their online was crap from the get go. Deal with it

Any game with a solid sp gets a free pass on mp. FC 3, Tombraider and TLOU all have mediocre mp and were all rated highly. Oh and what about GTA 4 and RDR? Those launched with mp afaik and the mp in those is no better.

#73 Posted by blamix99 (1327 posts) -

gta v is a f*ckn great game. its just when you finished the game and those side quest, there is nothing left to do. wish there was like an assasination mission like gta iv

#74 Posted by speedfog (2581 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: Well mister smart guy. And all of you idiots here saying it's a dlc or a serperate game... Take a look at the back of your GTAV Boxes...

It says 1-16 players online multiplayer...

So it is a part of the game. And that means it already was included in the game, otherwise it would be misleading and not be allowed to be sold in multiple countries.

The thing was, it was so broken that they had to give an UPDATE to it, not dlc... And if it is a serperate game (what it not is) then it would have been playable without putting the GTAV disk in the tray.

What gamespot does is unfair, the problem is that they can do whatever they want, it's their site so they don't give a fvck what other people would say the way they review games. Also most reviews of gamespot these day's are just plain attention messages.

#76 Posted by biggest_loser (23901 posts) -

@Cranler:

Yes I know its below average because that's what the game deserves. Its not a great game and its not the best in its genre. Something like Skyrim leaves GTA V for dead - and I'm a huge supporter of IV.

#77 Posted by Zensword (3877 posts) -
#78 Edited by Sushiglutton (5092 posts) -

It's kind of tricky to handle MP. I mean it seems unfair to remove points because of an added mode unless it's real shitty. On the other hand you can't say that a game like the Witcher 2 can never score max because it lacks MP. It's a dilemma. The best solution is to not score games in the first place.

#79 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

Oh this question feature is already being put to excellent, constructive use in SW.

#80 Posted by CyberLips (1226 posts) -

joel_c17 marked this as the best answer

Arma 3 got scored down for lacking launch content. Apparently this law does not apply to highly hyped money spinners.

#81 Edited by worlock77 (22508 posts) -

Review scores are meaningless anyway, so why do you care?

#82 Posted by joel_c17 (2763 posts) -

Oh this question feature is already being put to excellent, constructive use in SW.

Sorry i accidentally made this a question! i didnt even know about it until i posted the thread.

#83 Edited by Cranler (7007 posts) -

@Cranler:

Yes I know its below average because that's what the game deserves. Its not a great game and its not the best in its genre. Something like Skyrim leaves GTA V for dead - and I'm a huge supporter of IV.

Besides childish trolls you seem to be the only person who thinks GTA V deserves a low score. GTA V destroys Sleeping Dogs, JC 2 and SR 4. Those games all got a 8/10 or better afaik, so a 97 meta is right on the money for GTA v.

If GTA and Elder Scrolls are the same genre then I guess you could say Amnesia and Half-Life are the same genre since theyre both linear. You cant see the greatness of GTA V and some people find Skyrim to be a complete borefest. I'm glad I'm open minded enough to enjoy both games.

#84 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23172 posts) -

look man, all i know is i loaded up 3 other guys in a party last night and shot the place up in a pile of co-op missions, raced two dozen times and never saw the same race twice, then shot a round of golf.

it may have been the most fun gaming experence i have ever had.

the bottom line is if you think it sucks then cool you are allowed to think it sucks that does not stop me from enjoying what is probably game of the gen and one of the best all around games ever made.

#85 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6445 posts) -

It honestly should be re-reviewed as a whole package but it wont because bias.

#86 Edited by PAL360 (26306 posts) -

No, it's one of the best games i ever played! I have yet to play the mp, but i would give GTAV a 9.5 based on singleplayer alone.

#87 Edited by Krelian-co (9079 posts) -

Arma 3 got scored down for lacking launch content. Apparently this law does not apply to highly hyped money spinners.

another post another highly moronic reply from you

Because everyone who has played gta v knows it lacks content

#88 Edited by princeofshapeir (13332 posts) -

@biggest_loser said:

@Cranler:

Skyrim is absolute garbage compared to GTA V. And I loved IV, I think it's one of the finest games of the gen, and I strongly believe V improves upon it in every conceivable way.

#89 Posted by Cranler (7007 posts) -

If reviewers were to penalize GTA V for having a mp mode thats not as good as its sp then they should re-review JC 2 and Sleeping Dogs and penalize those games for having no mp.

#90 Edited by princeofshapeir (13332 posts) -

It's laughable that you would even expect a game to score lower because the multiplayer isn't as amazing as the single-player. That isn't how it worked for Far Cry 3/

If anything GTA V would score higher because of the multiplayer. Taken as a whole package, you still have the 9.0 singleplayer, and the 7.0 online component for free. There is a much stronger case to be made for a 10 had GameSpot reviewed both components simultaneously. Averaging the two individual scores is stupid.

#91 Posted by Cranler (7007 posts) -

It's laughable that you would even expect a game to score lower because the multiplayer isn't as amazing as the single-player. That isn't how it worked for Far Cry 3/

If anything GTA V would score higher because of the multiplayer. Taken as a whole package, you still have the 9.0 singleplayer, and the 7.0 online component for free. There is a much stronger case to be made for a 10 had GameSpot reviewed both components simultaneously. Averaging the two individual scores is stupid.

Yep! Imagine if another game had a sp thats as good as GTA V, but no mp. Would be completely idiotic for the sp only game to have a higher score.

#92 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6445 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

If reviewers were to penalize GTA V for having a mp mode thats not as good as its sp then they should re-review JC 2 and Sleeping Dogs and penalize those games for having no mp.

That doesnt make sense. At all

#93 Edited by Cranler (7007 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

That doesnt make sense. At all

Imagine if another game had a sp thats as good as GTA V, but no mp. Would be completely idiotic for the sp only game to have a higher score.

#94 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7168 posts) -

I personally do not even think the single player portion deserved a 9. I really love the game because of the characters and the amazing world but there is some flaws for sure.

#95 Posted by Cranler (7007 posts) -

I personally do not even think the single player portion deserved a 9. I really love the game because of the characters and the amazing world but there is some flaws for sure.

When far lesser games in it's genre are getting 8's...

#96 Posted by kozzy1234 (35086 posts) -

@biggest_loser: bahaha, what in the hell happened to you're posts on here the last while?

Trashing GTA5 while prasiing the overrated gta4 and then trashing the new batman game before it is even out?
I expected more from you biggest loser.

GTA5 is rockstar bringing GTA back to what it is best at, FUN. Best GTA game since SA hands down, especially after the horribly overrated gta4.

#97 Posted by 001011000101101 (3858 posts) -

It only deserves less than a 10 if you have bad taste in games.