GTA V Is Out Of The Running for GotY

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (56289 posts) -

GTA V was nominated along with The Last of Us for PS3 GotY, but it lost, with The Last of Us winning it. This automatically knocks the game out of the running for Game of the Year, as we know Gamespot thinks at least one game is better than it in a head to head competition.

So far, then, the four games in the running for Game of the Year are The Last of Us, Super Mario 3D World, Tearaway, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Which one do you think will win?

#2 Posted by mems_1224 (46721 posts) -

tlou

#3 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3042 posts) -

I think that is a pretty safe assumption and I would be happy with either TLOU, SM3DW or Zelda. (Or even GTA if GS really wants to mind*** it's users haha)

#4 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25609 posts) -

I don't think it works that way on Gamespot, the site where logic goes to get raped. GOTY will be GTA or Mario. I'll be massively surprised if TLOU or a handheld game wins.

#5 Posted by MonsieurX (29737 posts) -

Super Mario 3D World

Cows tears would be lovely

#6 Posted by Heil68 (43607 posts) -

Super Mario 3D World it got a 9.0

#7 Posted by super600 (30405 posts) -

The 360 GOTY has not been revealed yet TC so it may win that.

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (56289 posts) -

I don't think it works that way on Gamespot, the site where logic goes to get raped. GOTY will be GTA or Mario. I'll be massively surprised if TLOU or a handheld game wins.

Gamespot is very consistent within its Game of the Year awards every year. If something does not win the best of award for its platform, and is also nominated for GotY, then it does not win GotY.

GTA is out of the running. I think it'll be between TLOU and Mario for now, though we don't know the other nominees that might upset it.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (56289 posts) -

@super600 said:

And that wouldn't matter, as it already loses in a head to head competition with at least one other GotY nominee. It doesn't matter if it wins 360 GotY, because Gamespot thinks that the Last of Us, at the very least, is a better game.

#10 Posted by Desmonic (13527 posts) -

It'll probably win the GOTY for the 360, so it should still be in the running for overall GOTY I think.

Also calling it now, if for some reason TLOU actually wins overall GOTY (which i think it wont despite being a fantastic game) coupled with the PS4 leading in sales over the X1, cows will go absolutely crazy. Lems might as well not show up for the next month or so.

#11 Posted by blackace (20382 posts) -

GTA V was nominated along with The Last of Us for PS3 GotY, but it lost, with The Last of Us winning it. This automatically knocks the game out of the running for Game of the Year, as we know Gamespot thinks at least one game is better than it in a head to head competition.

So far, then, the four games in the running for Game of the Year are The Last of Us, Super Mario 3D World, Tearaway, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Which one do you think will win?

They still have to do PC, PS4, XBox 360 and XBox One GOTY right?

#12 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25609 posts) -

@Floppy_Jim said:

Gamespot is very consistent within its Game of the Year awards every year. If something does not win the best of award for its platform, and is also nominated for GotY, then it does not win GotY.

GTA is out of the running. I think it'll be between TLOU and Mario for now, though we don't know the other nominees that might upset it.

I get 404s when I try and look back on previous years but if you're right about that I'm going for Mario.

#13 Edited by charizard1605 (56289 posts) -

@blackace said:

Yes, that's why I said 'so far.'

I get 404s when I try and look back on previous years but if you're right about that I'm going for Mario.

I dunno, I think The Last of Us has it on lock, but I'd be very happy if Mario won.

#14 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10614 posts) -

Arkham Origins !

#15 Posted by with_teeth26 (6078 posts) -

not necessarily, some websites like to put the spotlight on exclusives for platform specific awards and then give the overall GOTY to a multiplat.

I feel GS will do this since it seems they are afraid to offend people with their awards, hence the removal of genre/special achievement awards.

#16 Posted by Bardock47 (5244 posts) -

The Last of Us or Super Mario 3D World has my money.

#17 Posted by StriateEnd (497 posts) -

TLOU, Tearaway and ALBW are all awesome (haven't played the new mario) so I wouldn't mind either of those winning

#18 Posted by Joedgabe (5111 posts) -

GTA V will still win i think.. This is GS after all. Besides GTA V is gonna win GOTY for the Xbox360. Last Year Journey won GOTY but dishonored won the PS3 game of the year.. it was like a funny wtf moment lol

#19 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@blackace said:

@charizard1605 said:

Xbox One and PS4 don't really deserve a GOTY although I think ACIV on PS4 is amazing.

#20 Posted by bobbetybob (19213 posts) -

Game of The Year hardly ever works this way at any site, it always defies what might appear to be logical. They should really just make "PS3 GOTY" or "360 GOTY" exclusive only that way you avoid this sort of thing. Would surprise me if TLOU did win though, it would finally silence all the people still moaning about it getting an 8.

#21 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13560 posts) -
#22 Edited by Suppaman100 (3802 posts) -

The Last of Us or Super Mario 3D World has my money.

this

#23 Posted by Liquid_ (2469 posts) -

gta fans be cried

#24 Posted by dommeus (9242 posts) -

@super600 said:

And that wouldn't matter, as it already loses in a head to head competition with at least one other GotY nominee. It doesn't matter if it wins 360 GotY, because Gamespot thinks that the Last of Us, at the very least, is a better game.

I wouldn't lose sleep/care at all about this

#25 Posted by lostrib (35080 posts) -

maybe they were turned off by all the ridiculous and vile backlash they got from the GTA V review

#26 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10407 posts) -

And GTA V didn't win best Action Adventure game at the VGX and won GOTY - it doesn't always work like that.

Its not always as cut and dry as it was in 2010 with Red Dead: Redemption.

#27 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

My vote goes to TLOU over GTA V anyway. TLOU was something special and I really enjoyed it from start to finish also dat winter snowy forest. Hnnnnngggg

#28 Posted by casharmy (6822 posts) -

PC has a few AAA this year too I think, Gone Home? so perhaps those will be in the mix too.

#29 Posted by Pray_to_me (2834 posts) -

The PS3 version of GTA 5 was the best version so....

#30 Edited by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

Oh man the tears at not only on Gamespot, but every other site if Gears Judgement wins GOTY overall. It would be massive suicide. Hell, Xbox fans will commit suicide with them.

Same if Barbie Dreamhouse Party wins, will probably be Wii GOTY automatically.

#31 Edited by casharmy (6822 posts) -

@Pray_to_me said:

The PS3 version of GTA 5 was the best version so....

it is possible, but I do not think GS has enough balls to smash the credibility of a review they allowed to be posted as AA (and then stood by it, "feedbackula") beat out ALL the other AAA reveiwed games for the entire year (wheather they belive it deserves it or not).

Regardless of this system wars stuff, GS has a reputation and credibility to try to maintain in all of this...

so GS saying "hey this AA game >>> all of the other AAA games we reviewed this year but we stood by the AA review becaue it was good for traffic" won't do much for the validity and credibility of their reviews on the site.

It will be much easier for them just give the GOTY to another game like Super Mario World 3D (which is also a good game) and save themselves from being called uncredible than giving it to TLOU...at least that is what I beleive they would be thinking in their position.

#32 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -
@super600 said:

The 360 goty will be a multiplat LMAOOOOOO

#33 Edited by Couth_ (10036 posts) -
@casharmy said:

it is possible, but I do not think GS has enough balls to smash the credibility of a review they allowed to be posted as sub AAA beat out ALL the other AAA reveiwed games for the entire year (wheather they belive it deserves it or not).

It doesn't matter. The review is one editors opinion. The GOTY is a collective consensus of the entire staff. It's also possible that their opinions on all of the games has changed as they have had more time with them. Nothing is out of the running. These stupid opinions on what will win are just that. OP has a history of reading into things too much and jumping to conclusions. Doesn't work that way.

#34 Posted by always_explicit (2743 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

It'll probably win the GOTY for the 360, so it should still be in the running for overall GOTY I think.

Also calling it now, if for some reason TLOU actually wins overall GOTY (which i think it wont despite being a fantastic game) coupled with the PS4 leading in sales over the X1, cows will go absolutely crazy. Lems might as well not show up for the next month or so.

Not show up???

I come here to laugh at the cows.

#35 Edited by GunSmith1_basic (9764 posts) -

And GTA V didn't win best Action Adventure game at the VGX and won GOTY - it doesn't always work like that.

Its not always as cut and dry as it was in 2010 with Red Dead: Redemption.

you could argue that the VGX logic was that GTA5 was not the best at being action-adventure, even though it was the best game overall.

It would make no sense for GTA5 to lose a general award for PS3 GOTY but could still win GOTY across all platforms.

#36 Edited by casharmy (6822 posts) -

@Couth_ said:
@casharmy said:

it is possible, but I do not think GS has enough balls to smash the credibility of a review they allowed to be posted as sub AAA beat out ALL the other AAA reveiwed games for the entire year (wheather they belive it deserves it or not).

It doesn't matter. The review is one editors opinion. The GOTY is a collective consensus of the entire staff. It's also possible that their opinions on all of the games has changed as they have had more time with them. Nothing is out of the running. These stupid opinions on what will win are just that. OP has a history of reading into things too much and jumping to conclusions. Doesn't work that way.

what I said is just my personal belief and nothing more.

I understand all to well that the review is just one reviews opinion, I am simply saying that "gamespot" as a website allowed the review to be posted as a credible source for their site and everyone, even casuals, understand the difference between AA and AAA so this will indeed affect the outlook of the credibility of reviews if AA TLOU wins GOTY over games they rated AAA for the year.

GS could still give GOTY to TLOU, they could also just be saying they disagree with Tom in his conclusion to make it more clear that GS as a website wasn't responsible for his opinion.

#37 Posted by Flubbbs (2998 posts) -

it will be whatever game didnt hurt carolyn petit's feelings

#38 Posted by nini200 (9639 posts) -

If Mario 3D World wins it, GS may shut down for a day lol

#39 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11650 posts) -

"Because The Last of Us is a better game than Grand Theft Auto V, of course."-Tom McShea

I'd say it's a safe bet that TLOU will win GOTY.

#40 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26343 posts) -

@nini200 said:

I can see it now. Examples:

-Wii U is selling bad and so is Mario 3D World

-Mario rehash

-Nostalgia

-Nintendo paid Gamespot

#41 Edited by Couth_ (10036 posts) -

@casharmy said:

@Couth_ said:
@casharmy said:

what I said is just my personal belief and nothing more.

I understand all to well that the review is just one reviews opinion, I am simply saying that "gamespot" as a website allowed the review to be posted as a credible source for their site and everyone, even casuals, understand the difference between AA and AAA so this will indeed affect the outlook of the credibility of reviews if AA TLOU wins GOTY over games they rated AAA for the year.

GS could still give GOTY to TLOU, they could also just be saying they disagree with Tom in his conclusion to make it more clear that GS as a website wasn't responsible for his opinion.

Gamespot has a segment dedicated to making fun of whiny gamers called feedbackula. They really don't care what people think is credible. They already chose TLoU over GTAV for ps3 game of the year. I recall a huge backlash when Demon's Souls beat higher scoring games for GOTY. You think they care? Gamers read into things way too much. TLoU could still win. What if there are staff who weren't involved in the PS3 Game of the year are involved in the overall GOTY. What if games on other platforms steal GOTY votes from TLoU but not GTAV. GTAV could still win.

#42 Edited by kingtito (4891 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

GTA V will still win i think.. This is GS after all. Besides GTA V is gonna win GOTY for the Xbox360. Last Year Journey won GOTY but dishonored won the PS3 game of the year.. it was like a funny wtf moment lol

That's what I wanted to know. I guess it doesn't matter if GTA V got PS3 GOTY. It still has a chance to get overall GOTY going by last years winners.

#43 Edited by nini200 (9639 posts) -

@nini200 said:

I can see it now. Examples:

-Wii U is selling bad and so is Mario 3D World

-Mario rehash

-Nostalgia

-Nintendo paid Gamespot

Lol I can see it now:

And GOTY 2013 goes to: Super Mar(505 Internal Server Error. Please try again or come back later.)

Lol

#44 Posted by Cranler (8797 posts) -

Doesnt work that way. Dishonored won Gamespots PS 3 2012 GOTY and Journey won the overall GOTY.

#45 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

@casharmy said:

PC has a few AAA this year too I think, Gone Home? so perhaps those will be in the mix too.

Gone Home will definitely be in there and I wouldn't be surprised if they actually chose that too TBH. It's a great experience though a little disappointing in the end for what the revelation is but I don't really feel it does enough to deserve GOTY

#46 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8715 posts) -

@Cranler said:

Doesnt work that way. Dishonored won Gamespots PS 3 2012 GOTY and Journey won the overall GOTY.

Well there goes Charizard's whole argument. Someone please ban him already, we have enough fakeboys as it is.

#47 Edited by NoirLamia777 (2133 posts) -

TLoU, it's my personal goty as well.

#48 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2844 posts) -

Listening to the Podcast throughout the year (wtf happened to the Gamespot Gameplay podcast??) there is no way either GTA V or TLOU will win because of the way Carolyn and Tom felt about the games characters. Also Tom hated Bioshock Infinite so there goes that game. They might pick an Indie or handheld game. Whatever game didn't objectify women, portray women as weak or inferior, had no race or age discrimination and didn't participate in PAX is probably the front runner.

#49 Posted by charizard1605 (56289 posts) -

Listening to the Podcast throughout the year (wtf happened to the Gamespot Gameplay podcast??) there is no way either GTA V or TLOU will win because of the way Carolyn and Tom felt about the games characters. Also Tom hated Bioshock Infinite so there goes that game. They might pick an Indie or handheld game. Whatever game didn't objectify women, portray women as weak or inferior, had no race or age discrimination and didn't participate in PAX is probably the front runner.

So there goes A Link Between Worlds too.

Might be Mario, you can finally play as Peach. FEMALE EMPOWERMENT.

#50 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9959 posts) -

If those are truly the nominees I'd be happy with any of those games taking it.