GTA V is actually really good

  • 98 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Celtic_34 (1286 posts) -

IT gets a lot of hate, but if you spend time in it and wander around and buy all the properties and try to make money in different ways. My first playthrough i just kind of went through did the missions because the game seems to want to keep you on rails. Patience is actually rewarded in GTA 5. I did not get this feeling in gTA IV. I didn't think there was enough to do outside the main missions except socializing. I've noticed the more I free roam in the game the more there is to notice and do.

#2 Posted by lostrib (37787 posts) -

You don't say

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/grand-theft-auto-v

#3 Edited by Pffrbt (6565 posts) -

No, it's actually pretty mediocre at best. The game has a ton of problems that drag down the experience.

@Celtic_34 said:

IT gets a lot of hate, but if you spend time in it and wander around and buy all the properties and try to make money in different ways.

It literally takes several in game years to make a profit off of property, so there's no point in buying any.

#4 Posted by evildead6789 (7901 posts) -

@Celtic_34 said:

IT gets a lot of hate, but if you spend time in it and wander around and buy all the properties and try to make money in different ways. My first playthrough i just kind of went through did the missions because the game seems to want to keep you on rails. Patience is actually rewarded in GTA 5. I did not get this feeling in gTA IV. I didn't think there was enough to do outside the main missions except socializing. I've noticed the more I free roam in the game the more there is to notice and do.

Gta are always good games, the problem it has is that it's released on the dinosaurs of a ps3 & x360.

Bloomfest & lagfest. That's why I didn't buy it, I would have if it was lauch for the ps4 or x1 (or even better the pc)

#5 Edited by jessejay420 (3845 posts) -

I like the Online Races.

i also like off-reoad driving and mountain biking as well.

collecting bounties,robbing armoured trucks and stores never gets old eitger,imo.

#6 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10607 posts) -

I love it - favorite game from last year. The online is some of the best I've played since Halo 2/3

#7 Edited by Celtic_34 (1286 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

No, it's actually pretty mediocre at best. The game has a ton of problems that drag down the experience.

@Celtic_34 said:

IT gets a lot of hate, but if you spend time in it and wander around and buy all the properties and try to make money in different ways.

It literally takes several in game years to make a profit off of property, so there's no point in buying any.

most games tehse days are overhyped garbage but I actually like how property management is done in GTA. It rewards patience and you have to work to buy property and do all the side stuff and be patient in the game vs just plowing through the main content of the game. There are also nice perks that come along with buying property. The property management aspect of GTA V actually has some depth to it. GTA IV did not have anything like that.

#8 Posted by millerlight89 (18569 posts) -

It's decent, nothing great. The missions were terrible, the characters were pitiful, the driving with tank cards was laughable, and the online....well it was just plain bad.

#9 Posted by BigBadBully (643 posts) -

Great game, the story is good enough for last gen but GTA Online was meant for xbox one and PS4. Rockstar should at least launch GTA Online for Xbox One/PS4. Just imagine how much smoother tthe experience would be without load times.

#10 Posted by Pffrbt (6565 posts) -

@Celtic_34 said:

@Pffrbt said:

No, it's actually pretty mediocre at best. The game has a ton of problems that drag down the experience.

@Celtic_34 said:

IT gets a lot of hate, but if you spend time in it and wander around and buy all the properties and try to make money in different ways.

It literally takes several in game years to make a profit off of property, so there's no point in buying any.

most games tehse days are overhyped garbage but I actually like how property management is done in GTA. It rewards patience and you have to work to buy property and do all the side stuff and be patient in the game vs just plowing through the main content of the game. There are also nice perks that come along with buying property. The property management aspect of GTA V actually has some depth to it. GTA IV did not have anything like that.

It takes so long to actually make money from property you'll be sick of the game long before you make a profit. There are no perks to property unless you want the opportunity to do more mindless, repetitive missions.

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (58293 posts) -

I disagree.

#12 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Last week OP was talking about how the gaming industry lacks innovation, and keeps churning out uninspired games, and rehashes.

Good to see he found some good games that break the mold with ACIV and GTAV.

#13 Posted by Minishdriveby (10038 posts) -

I say it plays well and they loaded the game with a lot of features to do in the sand-box; however, I think there are so many options that it can be somewhat overwhelming at times to the point where you begin to do the story missions because it has a clear cut objective with a final resolution. Unfortunately, the story missions become rather boring and the main characters' story line are the worse parts of the game.

My problem with GTA is that I have more fun watching my friends cause mayhem and destruction than myself actually playing the game.

#14 Posted by jg4xchamp (48398 posts) -

Yeah GTA 5 is fun, sure.

It still suffers from all the typical stuff Rockstar games do, but it's also probably the only legit good videogame they made this gen. So kudos.

#15 Edited by Celtic_34 (1286 posts) -

@treedoor said:

Last week OP was talking about how the gaming industry lacks innovation, and keeps churning out uninspired games, and rehashes.

Good to see he found some good games that break the mold with ACIV and GTAV.

i've been looking for games that do. GTA 5 i played through it once and wasn't that impressed. On my 2nd playthrough i'm taking my time and noticing all the little things in the game. Some of it is disturbing. You really have to deviate from the mission structure in GTA and make it your own game and it's a lot better.

GTA IV did not have a lot of this stuff. It got me more in the mode of not exploring. GTA V does. ACIV is also excellent. 2 best games i've played this gen.

GTA V still does have issues with it being a GTA game and the characters are not really likeable and I feel wrong doing half the stuff they have you doing but there is a lot to explore and if it's taken with a grain fo salt it's funny.

#16 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1375 posts) -

@Pffrbt: You mind giving me a list of your personal top 5 games from last gen?

#17 Edited by Kevlar101 (6223 posts) -

The properties generate such little income so slowly that it doesn't even matter if you buy them or not. It is pathetic.

The wanted system and law enforcement are still laughably bad.

There are nowhere near enough heists.

The main story is too short.

It doesn't feel like it utilizes the northern part of the map well enough, in the wilderness.

The hunting mechanic is the most boring, pointless and underdeveloped form of hunting that I have ever seen in a video game.

Not enough characters. GTAIV had so many characters, it made the story feel varied and full of life. GTAV had very, very few in comparison.

GTAV has fundamental flaws. Legitimate flaws.

It is a good game, but there is waaay too much holding it back for it to be a prime game.

#18 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

97 on metacritic so it is better than InfamousSS right cows?

#19 Edited by PinkieWinkie (1375 posts) -

@Mkavanaugh77: Also better than any game on XBone...so what's your point?

#20 Posted by Pffrbt (6565 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

@Pffrbt: You mind giving me a list of your personal top 5 games from last gen?

I don't like narrowing down my favorite games down like that, but a few off the top of my head:

-Bayonetta
-Metal Gear Rising
-Deadly Premotition
-Vanquish
-Anarchy Reigns

#21 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

@Mkavanaugh77: Also better than any game on XBone...so what's your point?

point is cows need to stop acting like InfamousSS is gods gift to gamers when It got a 8/10 while GTA5 and Titanfall got a 9/10 plus are sitting higher on metacritic.

#22 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29394 posts) -

Eh it's alright, there are much better games though.

#23 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

@chessmaster1989 said:

Eh it's alright, there are much better games though.

Name these better games?

GTA5 is Sitting on a 97/100 on metacritic!

which are these games that are doing better?

#24 Posted by cooolio (498 posts) -
@Celtic_34 said:

@treedoor said:

Last week OP was talking about how the gaming industry lacks innovation, and keeps churning out uninspired games, and rehashes.

Good to see he found some good games that break the mold with ACIV and GTAV.

i've been looking for games that do. GTA 5 i played through it once and wasn't that impressed. On my 2nd playthrough i'm taking my time and noticing all the little things in the game. Some of it is disturbing. You really have to deviate from the mission structure in GTA and make it your own game and it's a lot better.

GTA IV did not have a lot of this stuff. It got me more in the mode of not exploring. GTA V does. ACIV is also excellent. 2 best games i've played this gen.

GTA V still does have issues with it being a GTA game and the characters are not really likeable and I feel wrong doing half the stuff they have you doing but there is a lot to explore and if it's taken with a grain fo salt it's funny.

I would say that GTA V is more detailed, but not innovative. I believe that you should be able to make your own fun in any open world game, but it feels like a requirement in GTA V. The problem with GTA IV was that all of its story DLC was required to add a lot of content, but GTA V has failed to offer any of the many activities that was introduced in GTA IV's DLC, and it will probably get them later on.

AC IV is fun, but it just does not improve on anything relating to what an assassin does. What it does do well is let you feel like more than just an assassin's that is going around taking people out. However, that pirate life would have been more flushed out if Kenway had the ability to dance at bars, or enjoy nights with his crew. I did not try to see if there were any mini games like gambling, I hope that it does have that. And that boss fight deserves some hard criticism. The fact that you had to shoot him to death is pathetic.

#25 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1967 posts) -

Yes, amazing game. I am surprise what they produce with 8 year old system, even though 360 version broken it still impressive.

#26 Posted by cooolio (498 posts) -

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

Eh it's alright, there are much better games though.

Name these better games?

GTA5 is Sitting on a 97/100 on metacritic!

which are these games that are doing better?

You have to do better than that. Maybe you should try defending your point with things that you feel GTA V does better than the rest, because that score is just a number.

#27 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3621 posts) -

I don't know man, I heard it was pretty terrible.

#28 Edited by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

@cooolio said:

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

Eh it's alright, there are much better games though.

Name these better games?

GTA5 is Sitting on a 97/100 on metacritic!

which are these games that are doing better?

You have to do better than that. Maybe you should try defending your point with things that you feel GTA V does better than the rest, because that score is just a number.

I need to know what games this person is talking about first of all.

#29 Posted by cooolio (498 posts) -

@Mkavanaugh77: A TON I AM SURE.

#30 Posted by darkspineslayer (19811 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

@Pffrbt: You mind giving me a list of your personal top 5 games from last gen?

I don't like narrowing down my favorite games down like that, but a few off the top of my head:

-Bayonetta

-Metal Gear Rising

-Deadly Premotition

-Vanquish

-Anarchy Reigns

Literally all of these answers are correct. I really tried with GTAV, figured the hype must be worth something. almost set the disk on fire when it tried to get me doing QTE yoga.

#31 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

@cooolio said:

@Mkavanaugh77: A TON I AM SURE.

@cooolio said:

@Mkavanaugh77: A TON I AM SURE.

ok can you name them if you are so sure?

#32 Posted by Blabadon (26665 posts) -

It was pretty damn boring. Excellent tech, boring game

#33 Edited by tymeservesfate (1975 posts) -

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

@Mkavanaugh77: Also better than any game on XBone...so what's your point?

point is cows need to stop acting like InfamousSS is gods gift to gamers when It got a 8/10 while GTA5 and Titanfall got a 9/10 plus are sitting higher on metacritic.

BINGO

Infamous SS is watered down repetitive generic trash, honestly....the game is missing more than half the features/content GTA5 has, and its suppose to be next gen...no. thank god it will be forgotten in a month...neon powers, the fuck are neon powers smh lol?

#34 Posted by Joedgabe (5127 posts) -

@tymeservesfate said:

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

@Mkavanaugh77: Also better than any game on XBone...so what's your point?

point is cows need to stop acting like InfamousSS is gods gift to gamers when It got a 8/10 while GTA5 and Titanfall got a 9/10 plus are sitting higher on metacritic.

BINGO

Infamous SS is watered down repetitive generic trash, honestly....the game is missing more than half the features/content GTA5 has, and its suppose to be next gen...no. thank god it will be forgotten in a month...neon powers, the fuck are neon powers smh lol?

lol.......................................

more than an Online only FPS game?

#35 Posted by darkspineslayer (19811 posts) -

@tymeservesfate: There's no need to be so upset, bro. I'm sure one day, you'll find a PS4 and be able to play complete experiences like InFamous, that can't be played elsewhere.

#36 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

^^^

Games with better scores(meta critic) than infamous:

GTa5 97%

Crackdown 83%

Saints Row The Third 82%

Infamous is nothing special bro

#37 Posted by cooolio (498 posts) -

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

@cooolio said:

@Mkavanaugh77: A TON I AM SURE.

@cooolio said:

@Mkavanaugh77: A TON I AM SURE.

ok can you name them if you are so sure?

Well I was going to include games like ME3 and bioshock, but that would not be fair. An open world game should be compared to other open world games. As a matter of fact the last open world game that rockstar developed before GTA V was better: Red Dead Redemption. You had a lot of stuff to do in that game. The stranger missions really felt like part of the story and the touched on a lot of themes. The random encounters were a lot more frequent. Of course there was not much left to do after you finished the main game, but this was before GTA V.

Truth be told, GTA V follows the same concept, not to mention that it basically uses things from other Rockstar games. Red Dead Redemption's world and player character compliment one another a lot better than GTA V.

#38 Posted by princeofshapeir (14277 posts) -

It's the best in the series, it improves upon everything from GTA IV, and it delivers a re-imagined San Andreas. Fastest-selling game ever, and the most critically-acclaimed game of 2013. But listen to the angry people on the internet: it's really just a steaming pile of shit.

#39 Posted by cooolio (498 posts) -

@princeofshapeir said:

It's the best in the series, it improves upon everything from GTA IV, and it delivers a re-imagined San Andreas. Fastest-selling game ever, and the most critically-acclaimed game of 2013. But listen to the angry people on the internet: it's really just a steaming pile of shit.

It does not really improve on much in GTA IV if you consider all the activities that are available in the two story dlcs.

#40 Posted by tymeservesfate (1975 posts) -

@Joedgabe:

@darkspineslayer said:

@tymeservesfate: There's no need to be so upset, bro. I'm sure one day, you'll find a PS4 and be able to play complete experiences like InFamous, that can't be played elsewhere.

lol...you wish you knew how to upset me.

anyway, if this game is still getting the tiniest bit of attention 2 months from now i'd be stunned. its shelf life is next to nothing imo. about 3 playthroughs is the most any gamer could get out of this shallow game, its a rental. my opinion...2 months at the most. then cows will stop pretending how impressed and awestruck they are by the game. largely forgotten in 2 months, with some cows finally feeling comfortable enough to say what i've always been saying about the game all along. generic, repetitive, shallow game, last gen in a next gen package...2 MONTHS :]

#41 Posted by CloudStrife213 (430 posts) -

GTA V is really great.

GTA IV on the other hand is overrated.

#42 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (928 posts) -

In a related story, Water is actually really wet, fire is actually really hot.

#43 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

I loved it and it's probably my fav GTA game.

#44 Posted by jdc6305 (3895 posts) -

The game bored the hell out of me and the story was written to amuse 12 year olds.

#45 Posted by widdowson91 (1237 posts) -

It's a great game. I personally don't think it reaches the same lofty heights of GTA III or San Andreas, but it was a great game none-the-less.

#46 Posted by Lucianu (9452 posts) -

My favorite in the entire series, and what GTA IV should have been - an evolution upon San Andreas. GTA: Vice City still has my favorite soundtrack & main character (Tommy) though, but Trevor is a very close second.

#47 Posted by lamprey263 (24232 posts) -

I don't feel the game gets a lot of hate, I think it can just seem that way considering 30 million people bought the game. What seems like a lot of dissatisfaction is really just a result of the larger pool of opinions.

#48 Posted by CTR360 (7116 posts) -

GTA V its amazing game i love it

#49 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

I consider GTA V to be the best game ever made, and I never expected it to be as underrated as it is, sadly it turns out that people are so wrapped up in storytelling that they can't appreciate excellent gameplay.

#50 Edited by PinkieWinkie (1375 posts) -

@tymeservesfate: dude can you and your boyfriend stop running around to every thread talking about Infamous, it makes you look like a cry baby. This thread literally has nothing to do with infamous.