aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

I've never played the game. My question is whether it's really worth buying it for pc or just stick to the console version.
A friend of mine built his Pc just for this game, but he's reporting some occasional suttering in-game.

Any advice which version to get?

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

The PC version is absolutely the definitive version of the game, and it runs great even on midrange hardware. Get it.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

PC.

You can go crazy with mods mang.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

PC of course, why is this even a question? Same applies to TW3 if that's your next question

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Pretty sure that even Rockstar considers the PC version to be the definitive version

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Sporting a i7-2700k and GTX 670 FTW and I've not encountered any performance problems on very high at 1440p.

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

That's simple enough to figure out

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

PC version, its so enhanced it looks better than next gen PS4 games like SecondSon and Killzone.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

My only concern is performance, considering that I'd have to upgrade my computer, since I'm sporting a nice i7 CPU but coupled with a Nvidia 630 lol. I recently wasted 30€ on H1Z1 delusionally thinking it'd run decently on my Pc.

So, if GTA V justifies the upgrade effort, I'll do it.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

The PC version is absolutely the definitive version of the game, and it runs great even on midrange hardware. Get it.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

If you have a decent PC, then probably get it on that... but there's nothing wrong with the console version, no matter what some people say on here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

Do you like PC gaming? Then PC is the way to go. I don't like sitting on chairs in front of a small screen, I prefer couch gaming, which is why I'll always choose the console version.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@FastRobby said:

Do you like PC gaming? Then PC is the way to go. I don't like sitting on chairs in front of a small screen, I prefer couch gaming, which is why I'll always choose the console version.

A good monitor is superior for gaming though. More of the game in your face, higher immersion, better for competitive/esports.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#14 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

@FastRobby said:

Then hook up your PC to your HDTV and play from your couch with an Xbox or Playstation controller.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@BassMan said:

@FastRobby said:

Then hook up your PC to your HDTV and play from your couch with an Xbox or Playstation controller.

And then when I want to just surf the web, I'll plug it back into the monitor again? Takes too long, and I'm a casual gamer. Console gaming is just for people wanting to have fun playing games, and don't want to much hassle. Plug and play.

@Jankarcop true, I'm just not a competitive gamer :)

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts
@aia89 said:

My only concern is performance, considering that I'd have to upgrade my computer, since I'm sporting a nice i7 CPU but coupled with a Nvidia 630 lol. I recently wasted 30€ on H1Z1 delusionally thinking it'd run decently on my Pc.

There's certainly a wealth of titles that would also benefit from the comp upgrade but if you're only going to play GTAV I don't think I would upgrade just for that.

Care to post your complete specs? If it's just your GPU then for the price of a new console a GTX 970 would have you in gaming nirvana for the next few years.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#17 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Rockstar delayed it well to get people to triple dip. If you avoided any of the versions so far, you have the mental strength of 10,000 spartan warriors.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BassMan

@FastRobby said:

@BassMan said:

@FastRobby said:

And then when I want to just surf the web, I'll plug it back into the monitor again? Takes too long, and I'm a casual gamer. Console gaming is just for people wanting to have fun playing games, and don't want to much hassle. Plug and play.

You can have your PC hooked up to your HDTV and monitor at the same time. There is not much hassle. You switch the input of your HDTV to the PC just like you would a console. You can also switch what display you want your PC to output to or have it output to both your monitor and HDTV at the same time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@BassMan said:

You can have your PC hooked up to your HDTV and monitor at the same time. There is not much hassle. You switch the input of your HDTV to the PC just like you would a console. You can also switch what display you want your PC to output to or have it output to both your monitor and HDTV at the same time.

Where do you think these things are standing? The PC monitor wouldn't be at the same place as the TV, because the TV is in the living room, and the monitor at a desk. So that would mean I need a very long cable... And that's all a lot of hassle for someone that just wants to sit at the couch and game

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BassMan

@FastRobby: Once you set it up for the first time, it is not much hassle at all. I have my PC setup in my bedroom and have a long HDMI cable and USB hub running to my living room. If you want quality, you got to go PC. It is worth the initial setup.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@aia89 said:

Really? Boy that's a shit gpu. I'd recommend the console version unless you're planning to upgrade the card

btw, i'm a pc gamer myself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@BassMan said:

@FastRobby: Once you set it up for the first time, it is not much hassle at all. I have my PC setup in my bedroom and have a long HDMI cable and USB hub running to my living room. If you want quality, you got to go PC. It is worth the initial setup.

I prefer gameplay over gfx, and I don't want a 20m HDMI cable running through my house

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

@nutcrackr: THat's me then. I would recommend PC version. But nothing wrong with console version.

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

@FastRobby said:

@BassMan said:

I prefer gameplay over gfx, and I don't want a 20m HDMI cable running through my house

In that case PC has better gameplay solely because it has the 1st person view point.

If you don't like M/KB ytou can hook up a controller to the PC (Like I do).

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

GTA has always been best on pc. For me it is a mouse and keyboard thing. GTA controls like sht on consoles. GTA on consoles feels like I was able to run out of the stadium in NBA2K and go explore the city.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@Motokid6 said:

@FastRobby: Then do it like a big boy and fish it through the wall. They have special outlets you can install.

But that's exactly my point. How much hassle for a person (me), that just wants to game, and doesn't care about gfx, updating hardware every 2-3 years, etc. I just want to play video games, on the couch, without much trouble. That's why I choose console gaming. If it was all so easy, then why do people even buy consoles? For the exclusives? No, because the exclusives aren't even the best sellers on a system. They buy consoles because it's just easy.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#28 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The PC version is THE must have edition.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

If you have the option then PC is the better version, it's almost a different game

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

@nutcrackr I must be a super spartan by your logic because I haven't owned a copy of any GTA since GTA: Vice City.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@FastRobby said:

@Motokid6 said:

@FastRobby: Then do it like a big boy and fish it through the wall. They have special outlets you can install.

But that's exactly my point. How much hassle for a person (me), that just wants to game, and doesn't care about gfx, updating hardware every 2-3 years, etc. I just want to play video games, on the couch, without much trouble. That's why I choose console gaming. If it was all so easy, then why do people even buy consoles? For the exclusives? No, because the exclusives aren't even the best sellers on a system. They buy consoles because it's just easy.

Console gaming is hardly like that anymore, unless it is Nintendo. And hardware is so similar that at this point in time if you built up a pc you likely wouldn't need to upgrade for the duration of the console gen. The whole "i just want to play" side of things is generally bs, too, for 90percent of people. Why? While I'm not a smartphone user, all you have to do is look outside and people are on their phone every second of every day. There's no such thing as "I JUST want to" because people are always doing more than one thing(generally).

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#32 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

Of course the PC version is the definitive one since it came out last. That Rockstar thinks so too is hardly surprising. Then again, some of us played it years ago, and again over half a year ago, so that PC people finally get something to play other than boring indie titles and console ports is of course great.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

@FastRobby said:

@BassMan said:

@FastRobby said:

You're not a casual gamer if you take the time and post about and argue about video games on a video games forum... Just saying.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

And I think the TC stated that he has a good CPU but a meager Nvidia 630. You might be better off with the PS4 or XB1 version as I have a feeling that card will struggle to run GTA5 at decent settings.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@Heirren said:

@FastRobby said:

@Motokid6 said:

Console gaming is hardly like that anymore, unless it is Nintendo. And hardware is so similar that at this point in time if you built up a pc you likely wouldn't need to upgrade for the duration of the console gen. The whole "i just want to play" side of things is generally bs, too, for 90percent of people. Why? While I'm not a smartphone user, all you have to do is look outside and people are on their phone every second of every day. There's no such thing as "I JUST want to" because people are always doing more than one thing(generally).

You think I can buy a PC for 400$, and not upgrade it for the coming 7 years? I don't believe that.

When I say: "I just want to play", I mean that I don't want the hassle surrounding connecting the PC to the living room. For me that's too much of a hassle, I prefer having a laptop on which I barely do any gaming, and a console in the living room. But that's just me.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@FastRobby:

Don't want to butt in on your conversation but I just want to point out that a PC that is equivilent to or more powerful than a console today will still be equivilent to or more powerful than the same console in 7 years time.

What makes you think a multi-plat game that can run on PS4 hardware at the end of the console lifecycle will not run on a PC, that is just as powerful as the PS4, from today?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@GarGx1 said:

@FastRobby:

Don't want to butt in on your conversation but I just want to point out that a PC that is equivilent to or more powerful than a console today will still be equivilent to or more powerful than the same console in 7 years time.

What makes you think a multi-plat game that can run on PS4 hardware at the end of the console lifecycle will not run on a PC, that is just as powerful as the PS4, from today?

Games will be created specifically to support the consoles, while for the PC that's not the case. I don't believe that you can run e.g. COD AW on a PC from 2005 that costs 400$ back then. You need atleast a i3 2.9ghz, Radeon HD 5870 1024mb, 6GB ram, for the minimum requirements. I would only get the 6GB ram probably, the other two won't pull it off anymore nowadays.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@FastRobby said:

@BassMan said:

You being lazy isn't a good enough reason to dismiss PC gaming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@FastRobby said:

@Heirren said:

@FastRobby said:

@Motokid6 said:

You think I can buy a PC for 400$, and not upgrade it for the coming 7 years? I don't believe that.

When I say: "I just want to play", I mean that I don't want the hassle surrounding connecting the PC to the living room. For me that's too much of a hassle, I prefer having a laptop on which I barely do any gaming, and a console in the living room. But that's just me.

I'm saying that a pc is worth the little extra investment if one is that into games as a hobby. In ways it is less of a hassle. It is ONE box, it is more open to control inputs, can be used as a superior media box, gets most of the new games, and has an enormous back catalog at great prices. I regret buying PS4. First, it cost $400. Second, playing online cost $50. Third, it only uses PS4 controllers--that is an additional 50 to XXX amount of dollars. With no games that really use any new controller features you can use older 360 pads on the pc if you'd like.

I don't know if you accumulate consoles or own more than one but imo having tons of cabling all over the place is a bigger hassle than hooking up a pc.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@FastRobby said:

Where do you think these things are standing? The PC monitor wouldn't be at the same place as the TV, because the TV is in the living room, and the monitor at a desk. So that would mean I need a very long cable... And that's all a lot of hassle for someone that just wants to sit at the couch and game

You only have one TV?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@FastRobby said:

You only have one TV?

First of all, student. Secondly, you say like that's a weird thing...

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

neither, but if had to pick consoles

Rockstar has a history of not properly supporting PC ports fyi w.e. bought game like 2 years ago...

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#44 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Console obviously. Having that 30 fps makes the game much more cinematic. And mods ruin the developer's vision, so you don't need any of that crap.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

@FastRobby:

Because it's a fact that this has happened before. Take, for example, AC IV, which has an FPS in the 20s on an AMD Athlon II x2 240/Geforce 8800 GTS even with all settings put on low and the resolution switched to 1024x768 (below the 360/PS3 native resolution) [text]. That's a setup that blows away the 360 and PS3's hardware, yet it's borderline unplayable on PC. I would hate to see how it runs on a 7800 GTX.

Developers will attempt to make the most out of fixed low-end hardware when they have no choice. On PC, developers can ignore low end hardware because there's enough people with more powerful hardware out there that they don't need to optimize the game to run on it.

Avatar image for highking_kallor
highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 highking_kallor
Member since 2014 • 594 Posts

@rogerjak said:

@FastRobby said:

@BassMan said:

In that case PC has better gameplay solely because it has the 1st person view point.

If you don't like M/KB ytou can hook up a controller to the PC (Like I do).

lol. U for real?

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#47 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@BassMan said:

@FastRobby said:

@BassMan said:

@FastRobby said:

Easier said than done. My pc is over 40feet in the other side of the room, and I am not changing where it is. That would require a 100+ foot cord to route at the base of the wall, and would be a pain the ass. Thats not even getting over controlling the thing from there. Then there is the issue that I can't stand x360 controlls and that is default on pc. I have a wired 360 controller for pc but avoid all console ports and controller games because of this. If a game is made for keyboard and mouse then it gets a play on the pc.. thing is most graphically intense games now are not made for pc first (like quake, ut, doom and theif were back in the day).

When you plug a controller in a dual shock4 you need a special dongle to even get bluetooth and then rumble doesn't work on it. Only a handful of games even support rumble on pc, and its a feature i love (I even wish they had mice that had rumble).

So yeah, my pc will not be upgraded from my i3 3.3ghz and 7870 2gb amd card, anytime soon. It's pointless as the games I play on pc : Banished, Pillars of eternity, wasteland 2, civ 5, older total war(pre rome2) , older thief, europa universalis 4, neverwinter nights 2, skyrim, prison archeticet, heros of might and magic, sins of solar empire, starpoint gemeni2, cities skylines, Tome4, spiderweb software collection, etc....

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#48 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

If you have the option then PC is the better version, it's almost a different game

How is it a different game to my ps4 version? Both have 1st person controll switching. What you get a higher res (only if you have a larger than 1080p monitor and the card to pump that out, my monitor is 1080p and my gfx == the same in the PS4).. or what some added AA? at 1080p AA is not as important. I was playing games back when there was only 4 colors on the screen a few small jaggies is nothing (although it was so cool to see AA in action back when 3dfx made it mainstream).

Really though, how is it a different game? PS4/xb1 versions are fine. There is no reason to get it again if you already have it. (if you don't have the game then sure) . I have a freind who bought the game 3 times ps3 --> PS4 -- > pc and I think that is stupid. The guy is the opposite type of gamer than i am though (he only plays multiplayer games... which to me is INSANE!_)

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

@BassMan said:

@FastRobby said:

Easier said than done. My pc is over 40feet in the other side of the room, and I am not changing where it is. That would require a 100+ foot cord to route at the base of the wall, and would be a pain the ass. Thats not even getting over controlling the thing from there. Then there is the issue that I can't stand x360 controlls and that is default on pc. I have a wired 360 controller for pc but avoid all console ports and controller games because of this. If a game is made for keyboard and mouse then it gets a play on the pc.. thing is most graphically intense games now are not made for pc first (like quake, ut, doom and theif were back in the day).

When you plug a controller in a dual shock4 you need a special dongle to even get bluetooth and then rumble doesn't work on it. Only a handful of games even support rumble on pc, and its a feature i love (I even wish they had mice that had rumble).

So yeah, my pc will not be upgraded from my i3 3.3ghz and 7870 2gb amd card, anytime soon. It's pointless as the games I play on pc : Banished, Pillars of eternity, wasteland 2, civ 5, older total war(pre rome2) , older thief, europa universalis 4, neverwinter nights 2, skyrim, prison archeticet, heros of might and magic, sins of solar empire, starpoint gemeni2, cities skylines, Tome4, spiderweb software collection, etc....

Just so you know, there are solutions for this problem coming out this year. Steam Link and Nvidia Android TV will support streaming games from your desktop to your HDTV. Steam In-Home Streaming works pretty well, but the Nvidia solution ("Gamestream") I believe performs better. But these mini-consoles will cost anywhere between $50 and $200, and at that point you might be better off just getting a console. Still, if money is no object, it's a wireless way of playing your PC games anywhere you want.

Technically, you could take any old PC you have lying around and hook it up to your TV to do Steam In-Home Streaming. Obviously, the quality of the stream would heavily depend on your router and wi-fi connection, and there would be a little latency involved. The nice thing about those mini-consoles is they come with 802.11ac, but that's only useful if you have an ac router.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@Midnightshade29 said:

@GarGx1 said:

How is it a different game to my ps4 version? Both have 1st person controll switching. What you get a higher res (only if you have a larger than 1080p monitor and the card to pump that out, my monitor is 1080p and my gfx == the same in the PS4).. or what some added AA? at 1080p AA is not as important. I was playing games back when there was only 4 colors on the screen a few small jaggies is nothing (although it was so cool to see AA in action back when 3dfx made it mainstream).

Really though, how is it a different game? PS4/xb1 versions are fine. There is no reason to get it again if you already have it. (if you don't have the game then sure) . I have a freind who bought the game 3 times ps3 --> PS4 -- > pc and I think that is stupid. The guy is the opposite type of gamer than i am though (he only plays multiplayer games... which to me is INSANE!_)

GTA V on PC has much better, draw distance, textures, LOD, tessllation, reflections, shadows, crowd density and variety and 60fps smooth frame rate.

It looks a lot better than the PS4 version.