GTA V - A victim of it's own ambition?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by drekula2 (1880 posts) -

Yep, let's challenge the hype.

You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect probably most of us played the game, beat it, and loved it, but after the story, there wasn't a big incentive to return. The multiplayer maybe, unless the bugs are scaring you away from it, but I mean the single-player game in general. Los Santos just isn't a place you want to return to. I mean, I return to it to cruise around, but only because there aren't any better open-world games out there.

It's against our instinct to criticize GTA V. I mean, 1000 people worked on it, it's probably the most expensive game ever made and there was just so much ambition and attention to detail put into it. GTA V tried it's hand at a lot of things, and did all of them well. But all of these diverse things just don't seem to connect together.

It's like mixing 40 different chemicals together. You may know their properties individually, but how will they react with each other. The game just feels in many ways inconsistent and unfocused. It feels like a result of teams working apart from each other on each of the game's individual aspects.

It takes pride in it's size, however Los Santos feels diluted and could've been just fine being a bit smaller but focused. The world tries to mix fantasy and realism together. It feels like a completely different game when you're vulnerable on foot than when you are near-invincible in a car. It's story wants to be a crime drama you can relate to, and an unbelievable Hangover-like comedy at the same time. It's satire attacks anything and everything, but with no sense of direction.

Game worlds need not be realistic, but they should be believable. Grand Theft Auto V doesn't feel like an actual world, even by the standards of fiction and fantasy. The whole game feels contrived just to provide the best entertainment experience on all levels, which it does, yet it lacks the immersion and togetherness that have made other games unforgettable.

Anyone else notice this?

#2 Posted by 15strong (2806 posts) -

No, I am more immersed than ever.

#3 Edited by biggest_loser (23981 posts) -

Rockstar doesn't get it. They put so much energy into the side content that it doesn't let them focus on the main missions. A lot of them are just 'go here and shoot someone'. That's not ambitious enough for me. I still think 4 got it right because although there was less side stuff the missions were a lot more consistent.

#4 Posted by HadOne2Many (1178 posts) -

Best single player game to date. Played it for 40-50 hours and enjoyed every minute. Like a good movie, I'll get the urge to go back and experience it again a 2nd time (hopefully on a next gen version).

#5 Posted by 2scoopsofempty (923 posts) -

I couldn't disagree with you more.

#6 Edited by Krelian-co (10073 posts) -
#7 Edited by Netret0120 (1907 posts) -

Disagree with you completely.

65hours on my 1st playthrough and I started my 2nd one and am 10hours in.

No game has ever made me wanna replay it immediately after i finished it. 9.5/10 for me. One of the best games of the gen by far

#8 Edited by drekula2 (1880 posts) -

Rockstar doesn't get it. They put so much energy into the side content that it doesn't let them focus on the main missions. A lot of them are just 'go here and shoot someone'. That's not ambitious enough for me. I still think 4 got it right because although there was less side stuff the missions were a lot more consistent.

but wasn't IV just a series of assassination and drive-by missions?

#9 Edited by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

The online was a letdown, maybe because the economy went to hell i dont know, too much to do... not much of it any fun.

Absolutely loved the single player though, one of the best experiences ive had all gen, so i cant agree with you there.

#10 Edited by padaporra (3368 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto V doesn't feel like an actual world

AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAH!

Sorry.

And no, I don't agree with you. GTAV is incredible, and its ambitious only made it great.

#11 Posted by jethrovegas (5074 posts) -

I agree with your main point but disagree that the missions in IV were more consistent. If you mean 'consistent' in the sense that they more or less all consisted of the same content then sure, yeah. Both games are affected by Rockstar's inability to understand that a hugely ambitious, complex game isn't worth much if the moment to moment content fails to live up to the promise of the overall design. GTA V is fun, intermittently, for the same reasons that IV was: the gameworld and systems are flexible and allow for a lot of improvisation and unexpected 'cool shit' moments. V is a step in the right direction with the comparatively free-from heists and a story that doesn't have its head completely up its arse, but it still places too many restrictions on the player, especially early on, and underestimates the player's intelligence if not outright insulting it.