gta iv hurt sony

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rotary38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 rotary38
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts

The gta series last generation was a huge sales boost for the playstation 2. It was the game that seperated the ps2 from the xbox and the gamecube. Releasing simultaneously for both the ps3 and xbox 360, I think it would be the major sales booster for the xbox 360, because of the lower price and the exclusive epsodic content they are suppose to receive.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
Meh.
Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hulabaloza
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts
$600 price hurt more.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 eclipsed4utoo
Member since 2006 • 10578 Posts
$600 price hurt more.Hulabaloza
$600 price and few good launch titles hurt more. if Sony would have launched with 10 great games and a number of really good games, nobody would have cared about the price.
b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts
I know I bought a PS2 to play GTA3. I was kind of out of the gaming scene at the time. A friend I grew up with was telling me all about the stuff you could do in GTA3. I went out and bought a PS2 the next day. Sony dropped it's price by $100 a week later and I got a refund from BB. :) I also agree that people that want to play GTA4 may just get it on the 360. I think by then the premium 360 will be $300. A lot cheaper than even a $500 PS3. GTA was the highest selling game franchise last generation. It will sell systems.
Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts

The gta series last generation was a huge sales boost for the playstation 2. It was the game that seperated the ps2 from the xbox and the gamecube. Releasing simultaneously for both the ps3 and xbox 360, I think it would be the major sales booster for the xbox 360, because of the lower price and the exclusive epsodic content they are suppose to receive.

rotary38
I can agree that it was a large sales draw for the system but it was not what defined the difference between PS2 and XBox. The impact of not having GTA4 as an exclusive, or even a timed exclusive, is minor and barely worth mentioning.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
true, but in the end, who bought a PS2 for GTA if they already had a XBox? I mean, it was so obvious they were gonna come to the XBox sooner or later, so GTA4 not being timed exclusive isn't such a big deal (at least not tatoo worthy). Also, GTA + me = meh
ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
[QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.eclipsed4utoo
$600 price and few good launch titles hurt more. if Sony would have launched with 10 great games and a number of really good games, nobody would have cared about the price.

Umm how many "Great" games launched for the Wii and 360??? 1 each, Zelda and Call of Duty 2....
GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts
ouch the pain i can't bare it. not now if they lost final fantisy maybe.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.ajefferism

Umm how many "Great" games launched for the Wii and 360??? 1 each, Zelda and Call of Duty 2....

neither the 360 or the Wii cost $600. point is moot.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BenderUnit22
[QUOTE="ajefferism"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.eclipsed4utoo

Although I agree, whether you pay $600 or $250 to play 1 good game doesn't matter, it's not worth the money either way
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 emitsu97
neither the 360 or the Wii cost $600. point is moot.eclipsed4utoo

If you're gonna look at it that way then only the Wii was worth the price of entry.  No way CoD2 was worth a system purchase.
slyydevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 slyydevil
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts
Ypu've gotta be kidding right? GTA III was the reason Sony seperated from the other two systems?? Hell no! The PS2 sold how many systems and the Xbox sold how many? That would mean that the GTA franchise is responsible for moving like 50 million units which would be inheard of. More like the GTA franchise, GT, Madden (because they offered online only up until '05), FF and so forth. There was a plethora of reasons why it outsold its competitors. The Xbox camp seem to have a fetish with FPS there's like 10 already on the 360 and it's only been out like 16 months.... Where are the platformers?
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"]neither the 360 or the Wii cost $600. point is moot.emitsu97

If you're gonna look at it that way then only the Wii was worth the price of entry. No way CoD2 was worth a system purchase.

I agree with that statement. The PS3 is worth $600 to me, but not everybody is like me. Alot of people looked at the PS3's launch games and decided to wait. If the PS3 would have had a killer launch list, then nobody would have cared if it cost $800. for alot of people, $250 isn't a huge amount of money for only a few games(maybe 2 good ones), but $600 is alot for only a few games.
Absynthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Absynthetic
Member since 2004 • 1897 Posts

From a business standpoint,  Rockstar did the most logical thing in bringing GTA mutliplat

with production costs of next gen game exponentially more expensive than ps2/xbox games, Rockstar isnt going to make a profit, or even break even, with jus releasing on the Ps3.  Simply because there wont be enough systems on the market.

From a personal standpoint, I agree with their decision and with it not being a timed exclusive anymore doesnt make much difference to me.

They'v done pretty much all they can do with the series.  I'm more interested in their new franchise exclusive to the Ps3 (at least last time I checked) L.A. Noire

OmarAg009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 OmarAg009
Member since 2003 • 2228 Posts
I agree.
mig-fulcrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mig-fulcrum
Member since 2004 • 260 Posts

I could never play a gta game for more that 15mins before getting bored.

takiobadtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 takiobadtz
Member since 2005 • 39 Posts
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.ajefferism

Yeah please note that Gears came to the 360 almost two years later.. ofcourse playstation is not gonna have great games when it comes out.. when 360 came out all it had were reamakes of teh EA games they probably had one or two 360 only titles out..
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="ajefferism"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.takiobadtz

Yeah please note that Gears came to the 360 almost two years later.. ofcourse playstation is not gonna have great games when it comes out.. when 360 came out all it had were reamakes of teh EA games they probably had one or two 360 only titles out..

Gears Of War came out a year after the 360 launched...if you want to be correct.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BenderUnit22
[QUOTE="ajefferism"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.takiobadtz

uh Gears came 1 year after the 360 launched (I think a few days less than 1 year actually)
ragincoley86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ragincoley86
Member since 2006 • 1357 Posts
absynthetic is right. Here's an article explaining it. I dont think rockstar had a real choice in their decision. If theres no real difference between the ps3 & 360 verison in the ps3's favor then I  believe it will hurt ps3 sales in October

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/771/771737p1.html
Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hulabaloza
Ypu've gotta be kidding right? GTA III was the reason Sony seperated from the other two systems?? Hell no! The PS2 sold how many systems and the Xbox sold how many? That would mean that the GTA franchise is responsible for moving like 50 million units which would be inheard of. More like the GTA franchise, GT, Madden (because they offered online only up until '05), FF and so forth. There was a plethora of reasons why it outsold its competitors. The Xbox camp seem to have a fetish with FPS there's like 10 already on the 360 and it's only been out like 16 months.... Where are the platformers?
slyydevil
The difference between the PS2 and XBOX at this point is very similar to that of the 360 and PS3 (in reverse this time). The difference is the underdog this time has a supposed brand advantage & a huge sticker price anchor. GTA did seperate the PS2 from the pack. Before that only gamers bought it, after GTA everyone wanted a PS2. It made the PS2 king.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BenderUnit22
GTA did seperate the PS2 from the pack. Before that only gamers bought it, after GTA everyone wanted a PS2. It made the PS2 king.Hulabaloza
GTA isn't exactly a game series that draws casuals into gaming
Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hulabaloza
absynthetic is right. Here's an article explaining it. I dont think rockstar had a real choice in their decision. If theres no real difference between the ps3 & 360 verison in the ps3's favor then I believe it will hurt ps3 sales in October

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/771/771737p1.html
ragincoley86
That's why it pays to be first on the market. Bigger installed base means more pull with devs. With GTA III all Sony had to do was drop the licensing fee for Rockstar, and it would have probably made up what the game would have sold on the original XBOX. No such luxury this time. Sony is going to have a lot harder time securing exclusives from 3rd parties on the PS3. It's an uphill battle this time. This is what is making games like Bioshock exclusive to the 360.
Hulabaloza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hulabaloza
[QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]GTA did seperate the PS2 from the pack. Before that only gamers bought it, after GTA everyone wanted a PS2. It made the PS2 king.BenderUnit22

The GTA series sold something like 50 million games. It has a huge audience. Alot of people bought the PS2 solely for that game.
rotary38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rotary38
Member since 2007 • 87 Posts
I'm looking at vgcharts, that series is selling tons no millions.
FireFalkon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FireFalkon
Member since 2004 • 866 Posts
[QUOTE="Hulabaloza"] That's why it pays to be first on the market. Bigger installed base means more pull with devs. With GTA III all Sony had to do was drop the licensing fee for Rockstar, and it would have probably made up what the game would have sold on the original XBOX. No such luxury this time. Sony is going to have a lot harder time securing exclusives from 3rd parties on the PS3. It's an uphill battle this time. This is what is making games like Bioshock exclusive to the 360.

about the bioshock part: in the same way that oblivion was exclusive, meaning exclusive for a determined time
trmather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 trmather
Member since 2006 • 362 Posts

[QUOTE="ajefferism"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.eclipsed4utoo

and do the Wii and 360 come with a 60gb HD, wi-fi and a high-definition DVD player as standard?

takiobadtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 takiobadtz
Member since 2005 • 39 Posts
[QUOTE="takiobadtz"][QUOTE="ajefferism"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.BenderUnit22

uh Gears came 1 year after the 360 launched (I think a few days less than 1 year actually)

Hmm.. you are right im sorry but still it didnt come out at launch.. which was the point i was trying to get accross.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 eclipsed4utoo

[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="ajefferism"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.trmather

and do the Wii and 360 come with a 60gb HD, wi-fi and a high-definition DVD player as standard?

leave your fanboyism at the door.
Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cellien
Member since 2004 • 2280 Posts

Wow didnt realize the 360 came out in 2004!?! mind blowing!
Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cellien

[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="ajefferism"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.trmather

and do the Wii and 360 come with a 60gb HD, wi-fi and a high-definition DVD player as standard?

Um no, thats they are hundreds of dollars less.. IE, more affordable. No matter what it comes with, people say... $600 for a game console, no thanks. Sony should have done its homework and known this. They think stupid Americans will buy anything.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 emitsu97
Um no, thats they are hundreds of dollars less.. IE, more affordable. No matter what it comes with, people say... $600 for a game console, no thanks. Sony should have done its homework and known this. They think stupid Americans will buy anything.Cellien

:lol:
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="trmather"]

[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="ajefferism"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.Cellien

Um no, thats they are hundreds of dollars less.. IE, more affordable. No matter what it comes with, people say... $600 for a game console, no thanks. Sony should have done its homework and known this. They think stupid Americans will buy anything.

I believe about 1.5 million Americans have bought one. I remember Sony stating that they could sell a console with no games. Well....they did just that.....and they were right.
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

The gta series last generation was a huge sales boost for the playstation 2. It was the game that seperated the ps2 from the xbox and the gamecube. Releasing simultaneously for both the ps3 and xbox 360, I think it would be the major sales booster for the xbox 360, because of the lower price and the exclusive epsodic content they are suppose to receive.

rotary38
Why does everyone forget about the exclusive content that the PS3 will recieve? Jeez...
Cellien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cellien
[QUOTE="Cellien"][QUOTE="trmather"]

[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="ajefferism"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.eclipsed4utoo

I believe about 1.5 million Americans have bought one. I remember Sony stating that they could sell a console with no games. Well....they did just that.....and they were right.

Ya.. sad isnt it?
cheapness1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cheapness1
Member since 2003 • 883 Posts
gta3 sold so well because it was a new concept! by san andreas it was getting stale, plus a thousand clones have been released...gta4 won't have as big an impact in my opinion, unless they pull off something equally revolutionary!
Bloodcore77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 Bloodcore77
Member since 2007 • 332 Posts
gta3 sold so well because it was a new concept! by san andreas it was getting stale, plus a thousand clones have been released...gta4 won't have as big an impact in my opinion, unless they pull off something equally revolutionary!cheapness1
San Andreas was stale, r u joking. It was so hugely popular and was the GTA game that sold the most copies in the series. People loved it, what planet have you been living on, Pluto? Wait, that's not a planet. Awwww, too bad.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Cellien"][QUOTE="trmather"]

[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="ajefferism"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.Cellien

Ya.. sad isnt it?

no. it shows you that Sony knows what they are talking about and knows what they are doing.
dayday6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dayday6
Member since 2004 • 635 Posts
gta3 sold so well because it was a new concept! by san andreas it was getting stale, plus a thousand clones have been released...gta4 won't have as big an impact in my opinion, unless they pull off something equally revolutionary!cheapness1

Exactly, the impact will be minimum. The genre is not new anymore and has leveled off.
KoolEmpty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KoolEmpty
Member since 2002 • 1081 Posts
[QUOTE="BenderUnit22"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]GTA did seperate the PS2 from the pack. Before that only gamers bought it, after GTA everyone wanted a PS2. It made the PS2 king.Hulabaloza

The GTA series sold something like 50 million games. It has a huge audience. Alot of people bought the PS2 solely for that game.

The entire series sold 38million copies, which I will give you is impressive. That's about 12.5million per chapter, you would have to assume that out of those 38 million copies sold alot of them were to the same people, I myself had 3. Out of 100+million PS2 consoles sold do you really think that GTA was the system seller you claim? I'll agree that the GTA going multi-plat on release won't help the PS3, but at the same time I can't really see it hurting the systems sales either.
kinq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kinq
Member since 2004 • 931 Posts
Sony has never had rights to own GTA franchise. As you can see, there have been many releases of GTA games on the Xbox.
KoolEmpty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KoolEmpty
Member since 2002 • 1081 Posts
[QUOTE="cheapness1"]gta3 sold so well because it was a new concept! by san andreas it was getting stale, plus a thousand clones have been released...gta4 won't have as big an impact in my opinion, unless they pull off something equally revolutionary!dayday6

Exactly, the impact will be minimum. The genre is not new anymore and has leveled off.

Then how do you explain VC selling more than III and SA selling more than VC. regardless wether or not you feel it's getting stale you're seriously mistaken if you think IV is not going to be one of the best selling games on either system.
trmather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 trmather
Member since 2006 • 362 Posts
[QUOTE="trmather"]

[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="ajefferism"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Hulabaloza"]$600 price hurt more.eclipsed4utoo

leave your fanboyism at the door.

it's not fanboyism, I'm just justifying it because getting the 360 to the same specification would cost more, and it's imposible to get the Wii to the same specification, so whilst the PS3's price seems a lot to bear, it's better value than the 360, and arguably better than the Wii as well
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
well if sony opens up the option for devs to use custom sountrack and rockstar takes advantage of it then the ps3 wont lose as much sales over gta IV as it would , but we all know custom soundtracks will never happen with sony so thats not happenin
Liams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Liams
Member since 2003 • 1704 Posts

Sony has never had rights to own GTA franchise. As you can see, there have been many releases of GTA games on the Xbox.kinq

Right and Wrong at the same time the deal Sony had with Rockstar and Take Two was that they wheren't aloud to realease the games on any any other platform for at least 9 months after it had first appeard on the PS2. San Andreas was the last of the series to have this deal. Since GTA 3 they've all been realeased in Oct/Nov making sure then that the game couldn't appear on another platform unitl Jul/Aug of the following year. Thus enabling Sony to capture the whole of the Christmas market.

Liams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Liams
Member since 2003 • 1704 Posts

well if sony opens up the option for devs to use custom sountrack and rockstar takes advantage of it then the ps3 wont lose as much sales over gta IV as it would , but we all know custom soundtracks will never happen with sony so thats not happenin-DirtySanchez-

You can customize your own radio station on the PSP version of LC Stories or am I missing the point you where trying to make?

GloverD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GloverD
Member since 2004 • 1555 Posts

rotary38
Thats just Content they couldnt fit on the DVD9 discs... Also almost half of all 360 owners arent connected to Live. And i bet you will be paying for that "Episodic Content"
blitzinger123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blitzinger123
Member since 2005 • 2370 Posts
Sony makes good business decisions (despite the hit they took w/ ps3 launch). If they felt GTA IV would have made such an impact, they would have bought exclusive rights. But I think choosing to let Rockstar expand onto more consoles to get more sales is promoting a good friendship between Sony and Rockstar.
coolguy681

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 coolguy681
Member since 2006 • 1353 Posts
I thought it would really hurt sony but it wont because GTA IV suites PS3. Better graphics, Rockstar does well with sony and the controller works better.